TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TNABaddboi

Opening Impact Match Announced...

Nashville, TN (September 22, 2005) - It will be a phenomenal start for TNA Wrestling's debut of "iMPACT!" on Spike TV on Saturday, October 1. TNAwrestling.com has learned X Division Champion AJ Styles will kick-off the show in the first match.

In a website poll, TNA Wrestling asked fans who they wanted to see in the first bout. The masses overwhelmingly voted for Styles, who earned nearly 60 percent of the votes.

TNAwrestling.com has also learned that “The Phenomenal One” will face newcomer Roderick Strong in the opening bout on Spike TV in a match that will truly showcase the high-flying, daredevil, X Division action fans can expect to see in the coming months.

TNAwrestling.com will post more major announcements in the upcoming days about the debut of "iMPACT!" on Spike TV.

Check back tomorrow for news on the TNA "iMPACT!" return of a free-agent star!

Fans in Florida - join us at Universal Studios Orlando this Tuesday, September 27 for the taping of the first "iMPACT!" for SpikeTV! Come be a part of history with TNA Wrestling! For details on attending TNA tapings, click on "Television" on the homepage!

Credit: TNAWrestling.com

Looks like the poll was legit. I wonder if they'll make that a title match. They've already announced the Dudleys, so I'm sure the return is going to be Kevin Nash.

But will the show start off with that match or will it be a 15 minute Jeff Jarrett segment of how he is the King of the Mountain, master of using string instruments as weapons, and current NWA World Champion?

I'm not sure I understand the marketing strategy of pushing a guy with a title that has no exact meaning (the X title) over whoever is the world champion. Having watched quite a bit of NWA: TNA I never 100% grasped what the X division even is. I assumed it was cruiserweight spotfests, but there are a few heavyweight guys involved. I liked the matches and certainly think AJ Styles is a quality performer, but I just don't know what the exact value of the X title is.

Like it or not, the world champion should be the focal point of a show. I don't agree with putting it on Jarrett, but he does have it.

I'm not sure I understand the marketing strategy of pushing a guy with a title that has no exact meaning (the X title) over whoever is the world champion.  Having watched quite a bit of NWA: TNA I never 100% grasped what the X division even is.  I assumed it was cruiserweight spotfests, but there are a few heavyweight guys involved.  I liked the matches and certainly think AJ Styles is a quality performer, but I just don't know what the exact value of the X title is. 

The idea is that AJ is the kind of spectacular and innovative wrestler that WWE has, but refuses to let wrestle like that. It's their way of showcasing that they have the kind of exciting and crazy matches that you don't get with WWE. They've got to go that route, showcase what they have and WWE doesn't.

Guest *KNK*
I'm not sure I understand the marketing strategy of pushing a guy with a title that has no exact meaning (the X title) over whoever is the world champion.  Having watched quite a bit of NWA: TNA I never 100% grasped what the X division even is.  I assumed it was cruiserweight spotfests, but there are a few heavyweight guys involved.  I liked the matches and certainly think AJ Styles is a quality performer, but I just don't know what the exact value of the X title is. 

The idea is that AJ is the kind of spectacular and innovative wrestler that WWE has, but refuses to let wrestle like that. It's their way of showcasing that they have the kind of exciting and crazy matches that you don't get with WWE. They've got to go that route, showcase what they have and WWE doesn't.

Yet they will completely focus on what having the exact same thing WWE has.

Except Triple H has more a claim to being a better worker or least a better track record at drawing and mainstream credibility.

Basically TNA will be pushing their watered down Triple H during this "WE ARE NOT THE WWE!" promotional blitz.

Guest MikeSC

I hope the World Title almost gets relegated to only PPV matches. TNA still has a rather weak ME roster but one seriously solid midcard and X Division roster. Utilize the strength and minimize the weakness.

Then again, if they think JJ IS a draw (evidence be damned), we might have a problem.

I actually agree with Mike.

The ME scene is just horrible and has been for quite awhile. They desperately need a bigger name than Jarrett and Raven in that mix.

This is why guys like Jericho and Foley should've taken the pay-cut to help out the smaller guys. Surely they've made all the real money that they can make in the WWE. I'd rather see Jericho vs Styles or Jericho vs Petey Williams over more of the same shit he's been doing in WWE for the past god-knows-how-long.

The ME scene is just horrible and has been for quite awhile. They desperately need a bigger name than Jarrett and Raven in that mix.

Jericho could have been an option if he had considered TNA after leaving WWE last month and still did Fozzy tours on the side.

Although we all know that the graphic with the TNA logo in the background was just a joke that Jericho displayed on his website because he said "Not gonna happen" when asked about going to TNA according to one poster who passed along the information here.

I always pictured Jericho as the kind of guy who would want to work in TNA to escape the politics and mid-card hell of WWE. But he's not stupid enough to burn a bridge. If Jericho worked one match in TNA, Vince would hold a grudge for life.

I always pictured Jericho as the kind of guy who would want to work in TNA to escape the politics and mid-card hell of WWE. But he's not stupid enough to burn a bridge. If Jericho worked one match in TNA, Vince would hold a grudge for life.

Release a DVD focusing on Jericho losing to HHH and walking Stephanie's dog?

Guest Biggles
I'm hoping that means the rumors are true and that TNA signed Roderick Strong. They need to also sign Aries.

They're on the verge of doing so. Austin Aries posted the below on his website...

I can confirm reports that I have received a contract offer from TNA. I'm finalizing some wording in the contract and will officially sign it early next week. TNA has a great opportunity to make some noise in the wrestling industry and provide an alternative to the WWE product that fans haven't had for some time. I'm excited about the potential of TNA and glad I'm going to be part of it.

My contract with TNA will have NO effect on my status within ROH. It's been agreed upon that even with my TNA signing I will be still be able to fulfill all my ROH commitments, including not only being able to continue wrestling on their shows but continuing to run the ROH School during the week.

So there you have it, before TNA starts the Impact tapings Austin Aries will be another wrestler with huge potential under the TNA thumb. :)

They have to build someone up interally. The other options are WWE rejects.

Since AJ/Daniels/Joe are in the X-Division, probably your best option is Monty Brown followed by Abyss. The big problem on that front is you don't have many options for them to feud with once they win the belt. Sabu isn't in super health. If Shamrock is coming in to wrestle that'll be a big help as he's still very credible. Ditto if Ortiz ends up wrestling. Dudleys could do a Tag Team Main Event for a PPV against a Raven/Sabu type team but neither of them are good singles.

You're looking at a Killings or Lance Hoyt after that so there's quite a bit of a dropoff. The "homegrown" stars for TNA are mostly tag teams or X-Division guys.

If they could throw a truckload of money at Jericho that'd be ideal, but there's very few options out there. Any big guy with potential gets signed to a WWE developmental deal for the most part.

Guest OSIcon

The point about leaving the Heavyweight Title for Pay Per View only is a good idea.

For one, it could potentially make the championship seem like a bigger deal. If the championship is only defended (at the most) once a month, it should theoretically be a "treat" for fans to pay to see the title defended. Of course, that would work best if there was a champion people really cared about and/or had a certain mystique about him. Either way, it would at least be an attempt to get people as many people as possible who watch the TV show to buy the PPV (which should be the goal).

Second, it would keep the weaker part of the roster from taking over a large chunk of the TV show. With an hour, there is no time to do the WWF formula of interview that sets up that night's big match. There just isn't time to have any wrestler, even the champion, in two decent sized segments. If you keep the Heavyweight title matches (and even non-squash heavyweight matches altogether) off of shows, you can you use the TV show to run angles to set up the PPV matches without taking away too much time.

I read that Bill Banks commented in an interview that they plan on having 4-5 matches plus segments to introduce fans to TNA, all on the first show. I think that is WAY too much for a 45 minute show. Hopefully it is just for the first show, but even then it is too much. Why do they think they have to cram all introductory stuff into the first show? Why not introduce somethings the first show, some more the next, more the third, ect.?

Styles vs. Strong is a good match to open with though.

Guest MikeSC
They're PROFESSIONALS. They do what they do for money, not out of kindness.

So I guess all that stuff about giving a shit about "the business" is just for good PR.

Umm, yeah. I kinda thought everybody knew that.

Why do you think ECW guys went to other promotions?