TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AmericanDragon

Family Guy 9/25

Overuse of referential humor? Check

Overuse of overly long gags? Check

Business as usual? Check

(yeah, I've wanted to hit Will Ferrell too, but it was way too long for that little a payoff)

That was the worst episode of Family Guy I've ever seen. Way to many cut aways, over-long jokes, etc. A real shame, too, since Chris is my second favorite character.This show is beginning to run out of steam. Even tonights "Simpsons" episode was better than this.

Also, Will Ferrell has already been a character on this show, and they rip on him? Doesn't really make sense to me.

"So have you seen any hanging clittorati?"

And the Lou Gehrig disease cutaway was almost as offensive as the Ronald Reagan one last week. Still very funny though.

Yeah, the caveman joke was a dud.

I don't know what Y2Jerk's post is supposed to mean.

I'm being openly defiant of the near-universal condemnation of the Bewitched gag.

Edited by Y2Jerk

"So have you seen any hanging clittorati?"

And the Lou Gehrig disease cutaway was almost as offensive as the Ronald Reagan one last week. Still very funny though.

Well, the Ronald Regan joke was actually funny. The Lou Gehrig joke was just bland.

I also hated the caveman gag. I almost screamed at the TV set because of it.

I would guess it has to do with the tedious Family Guy bashing every week.

I mean, it really is every week now. If the show just doesn't entertain you anymore, wait until 9:30 and turn on American Dad. There are obviously a wide amount of people that disagree with the whole "This was the worst episode of Family Guy ever" shtick.

I mean, it really is every week now. If the show just doesn't entertain you anymore, wait until 9:30 and turn on American Dad. There are obviously a wide amount of people that disagree with the whole "This was the worst episode of Family Guy ever" shtick.

I like the previous episodes of Family Guy this season. This one though, was a piece of shit.

The episode was okay, but had way too many flashback gags and pop culture gags.

It simply wasn't that funny.

I'd have to say, I'm slowly starting to love "American Dad". It has really improved this season.

See...it was funny because Stewie when to such great time and effort to slap Will Ferrell. He didn't just leave the theater, but travelled across the country, stopped to buy a ladder, and then finally slapped him and told him the joke wasn't funny. Each piece work together to make the pay-off more worthwhile once it got here. If he'd just left the theater, and then slapped Will Ferrell, it wouldn't have been funny. It had to be long to work.

*sigh*

I thought it was definitely a decent episode. Not one of their best ones, agreed, but it was good. Certainly not warranting the whole "Oh my god this was a vile piece of shit" garbage that seems to be spewed every single week.

Since Family Guy came back, there has been a backlash on these boards against the show. For what reason? I have no idea. Even if you think the show has lost a step, it still is undoubtedly one of the funniest shows on Network TV. But you would never get that vibe reading through some of the dramatic posts in the Family Guy threads.

Family Guy was never really that funny to begin with. I mean there's usually a hilarious laugh each week, but there are so many horrible gags and jokes that just get beaten into the ground.

Family Guy was never really that funny to begin with. I mean there's usually a hilarious laugh each week, but there are so many horrible gags and jokes that just get beaten into the ground.

When you're firing jokes non-stop for a good 22 minutes, there really is no way to avoid some of them bombing. The fact that some of them click so well to make someone laugh-out-loud is the real success of the show.

But Family Guy was never really that funny to begin with? I'm not sure how to even argue that one.

I said this once already, but for me, the only things I don't like about "Family Guy" are that they relly too much on pop-culture references and cut away jokes, and that none of the characters are likeable to me, except for Brian and Chris. And I don't care whether or not it's intended or not, I still don't like that most of the characters are generaly unlikeable.

I still love the show. I just never liked those two things. Or tonights episode.

I did think that the cow getting milked gag was hilarious though.

"American Dad" making fun of the Internet kid spinning the light saber IS hysterical though.

Funniest part of the episode.

When you're firing jokes non-stop for a good 22 minutes, there really is no way to avoid some of them bombing. The fact that some of them click so well to make someone laugh-out-loud is the real success of the show.

But Family Guy was never really that funny to begin with? I'm not sure how to even argue that one.

I watch the show everyday with my roomate, and for every good laugh out gag, there's about five that just make no sense. That's the problem with their style of comedy, a lot of the jokes end up not working and it kills some of the episodes.

I said this once already, but for me, the only things I don't like about "Family Guy" are that they relly too much on pop-culture references and cut away jokes, and that none of the characters are likeable to me, except for Brian and Chris. And I don't care whether or not it's intended or not, I still don't like that most of the characters are generaly unlikeable.

First of all, the characters aren't supposed to be likable. This isn't the Simpsons.

Second, Stewie is a far better character than Chris.

Third, the cutaway gags and pop-culture references are what the show is known for. If you don't like the idea of them, you're probably wasting your time watching in the first place.

I watch the show everyday with my roomate, and for every good laugh out gag, there's about five that just make no sense.

Is it their fault if you don't get a joke?

First of all, the characters aren't supposed to be likable. This isn't the Simpsons.

Third, the cutaway gags and pop-culture references are what the show is known for. If you don't like the idea of them, you're probably wasting your time watching in the first place.

First, I know the characters aren't suspossed to be likeable. That doesn't mean that I have to like that.

Second, that's just your opinion.

Third, I normally like the cut away gags and pop-culture references. That doesn't mean that they always work, or aren't overdone, because sometimes, I think they are.

All of that out of the way, I loved the reference to the film "Liquid Sky" on "American Dad" tonight. I think that it rules that they referenced an obscure cult movie like that. So what if it goes over most peoples heads, I still loved it.

See, I liked the caveman joke. It started funny, went too long, but then the fact that it went too long itself became funny. To me at least.

First, I know the characters aren't suspossed to be likeable. That doesn't mean that I have to like that.

Second, that's just your opinion.

Third, I normally like the cut away gags and pop-culture references. That doesn't mean that they always work, or aren't overdone, because sometimes, I think they are.

First, it sounds like you have a problem with the show's premise. You're mad at it for being itself.

Second, of course it is. But I suspect the writers prefer writing for Stewie (more comedic potential), which is why he gets such to do in each episode. Chris is a one-joke character. Stewie is basically the voice of the writers.

Third, you may have a point. Value is partially based on scarcity. If your tired of one of the show's staples, though, there's nothing wrong with taking a break from it.