TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AmericanDragon

Family Guy 9/25

First of all, the characters aren't supposed to be likable. This isn't the Simpsons.

Second, Stewie is a far better character than Chris.

Third, the cutaway gags and pop-culture references are what the show is known for. If you don't like the idea of them, you're probably wasting your time watching in the first place.

First, I know the characters aren't suspossed to be likeable. That doesn't mean that I have to like that.

Second, that's just your opinion.

Third, I normally like the cut away gags and pop-culture references. That doesn't mean that they always work, or aren't overdone, because sometimes, I think they are.

First, it sounds like you have a problem with the show's premise. You're mad at it for being itself.

Second, of course it is. But I suspect the writers prefer writing for Stewie (more comedic potential), which is why he gets such to do in each episode. Chris is a one-joke character. Stewie is basically the voice of the writers.

Third, you may have a point. Value is partially based on scarcity. If your tired of one of the show's staples, though, there's nothing wrong with taking a break from it.

First, I'm just done arguing with you.

Second, I guess your right.

Third, I think I might take a break from it.

Guest El Satanico

I've always enjoyed the jokes that go way longer than they normally would or should. This week may have gone too far by doing several of them, but they still worked.

I'm not a huge fan of the direction they've taken Stewie's character. I much prefer the kill Lois take over the world version, than the current meterosexualesque character he's become.

Guest El Satanico

It's nothing new for Stewie. They've been moving him in that direction from the start.

I'm not a huge fan of the direction they've taken Stewie's character.  I much prefer the kill Lois take over the world version, than the current meterosexualesque character he's become.

He's always been that way.

They don't make sense to YOU.

Because they're stupid and unfunny a lot of the time, and kill a good episode dead.

Take the episode where they try to get the Drunken Clam back. I thought it was hilarious, and then by Act 3 they did one unfunny gag and song too many and it killed the episode dead.

what was the caveman joke?

A caveman and a cavewoman had a modern married people's argument. I don't remember the set-up, but the joke really didn't have a punchline except they were prehistoric people arguing like modern people. It wasn't very good.

Is it their fault if you don't get a joke?

Yes.

Let me rephrase: is it their fault you lack the requisite prior knowledge it takes to understand a joke?

Someone cited the Liquid Sky reference from "American Dad". That joke totally went over my head because I lacked the requisite prior knowledge to get the joke. Does that make it the show's fault I didn't laugh? No, because I'm not the person the joke was aimed at. That doesn't mean the joke was stupid, it just means I didn't get it.

I'm not a huge fan of the direction they've taken Stewie's character.  I much prefer the kill Lois take over the world version, than the current meterosexualesque character he's become.

I strongly disagree here. I like quirky, sexually confused Stewie much more than the earlier evil Stewie.

Guest El Satanico

A caveman and a cavewoman had a modern married people's argument. I don't remember the set-up, but the joke really didn't have a punchline except they were prehistoric people arguing like modern people. It wasn't very good.

peter and lois are fighting,

Stewie says something ending witth "they aren't the first couple to do this"

CUE SCENE

peter and lois are fighting,

Stewie says something ending witth "they aren't the first couple to do this"

CUE SCENE

Maybe it would've been funnier if the srgument the cave people were having bore even a passing resemblance to the argument that Lois and Peter had just had.

Guest *KNK*

I thought the punchline to the Ferrell segment was supposed to represent that very segment itself...

That was my least favourite episode in some time, though I thought they did a good job in the 3rd act. Didn't they already make fun of Paul Reiser (which was funny this time too) and Sandy Duncan (unfunny this time) before?

The Meg stuff was funny.

After a sad few first episodes last May I'm really enjoying American Dad. I didn't see it last week but it's been my favourite Sunday show of late.

Guest TheDon

I am suprised that nobody has mentioned it. I loved the Dazed and Confused reference when Chris was getting paddled while they played No more Mr. Nice guy.

Guest Fishyswa

Tonight was symbolic of the problem with the show, but really it's an admirable one.

They really commit to a lot of the jokes like other shows won't, they aren't afraid of putting too much time into something that can bomb badly, but when they do bomb they can kill a show.

What made the Simpsons so accessable was that anything falling flat was erased from memory pretty quickly by something else, if that failed something else, eventually to something that was funny. It could take 30 seconds to do that in the simpsons, with Family Guy you might go past a commercial break.

Running with something for a minute straight can be good if it's really funny, but if it just doesn't work from the start, you're boring the audience for a minute straight. That's what it was like with the caveman joke. The Will Ferrel thing sucked because you saw it a mile away, but still had to travel that mile anyway.

I really hate the "lets see how long we can draw out this pointless little bit until we get a forced laugh out of you when its finally over and you laugh because you cant remember the first 3/4 of the bit and the last part is actually the funny part but we couldn't just get to the funny part, we had to draw it out because know cause we've got a 22 minute show and only about 2 minutes worth of actual funny material and if we just gave you the funny part, you'd be bitching cause you'd be staring at a blank screen for 20 minutes, but hey..that 2 minutes was funny..wasn't it?"

hmph.

The Will Farrell thing was a prime example of that. The caveman couple thing wasn't funny at all.

An occasional long drawn out joke is ok, but when they start needing two or three of them in a single episode..its kinda bad.

And they already did a caveman joke last week with the Flintstones..the one tonight would have been better if it was Fred/Wilma or Betty/Barney..

Its quite Amazing how much better American Dad has gotten too.

Guest JMA

I liked Family Guy tonight, but it's true that American Dad had the better episode (The Simpsons wasn't better than either of them).

As for the increasing quality of American Dad, it's because of two factors (1) Seth MacFarlane's ability to prove people wrong and (2) Patrick Stewart--he increases the quality of any TV show he's on.

I liked the caveman joke and the Ferrell joke. Guess I am different.

The entire show was pretty blah to me though. Had some good ones, though. As always.

No other love for the dairy cow?

And, I don't know what it is, but ever since the Stewie/Brian novel/protaganist bit... I laugh at everything Stewie says. Like yesterday, when Stewie's agent told him no one was interested in him, and he responded with something like.."We'll see about that." It wasn't funny at all, but the delivery made me laugh.

I know a lot of people hated the novel bit but I honestly think it's my favorite family guy bit ever. I am almost laughing just thinking about it right now.

Yeah, the novel is one of my all time favorites. i still do it time to time with my girlfriend about all kinds of subjects. ANd since she saw the ep, she just sits there and stares to see how long I can go on and how high my voice can get.

And Stewie in the Tootsie outfit had me rolling and all he was doing was walking.

The Simpsons wasn't too bad last night, although there is way too heavy of a reliance on Homer screwing up the marriage.

"Where are you staying?"

"You know the Four Seasons? Yeah, well I'll be experiencing them because I'm living in the park."

"Can he swim?"

"What do you think?"

"I know this bra. I bought it for her boobs."

The O.C. parody was eighteen sorts of bizarre as well.