TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

*SPOILERS* First hour on Spike

Guest Coffey

I don't know how to feel about Bubba Ray Dudley being refered to as "BRD." BRD comes off the tongue well but what happens when someone asks what it stands or? They just going to say B. R. Deadly?

It's funny how you mentioned Raven's WCW and ECW runs in comparison to his tenure in TNA, as he WAS allowed to stretch in those companies, but he's been given shit to work with in TNA. With the atrocities that TNA's booking teams have done over the last three years, its hard to say that its Raven's fault that he can't get any traction. They let him drift around aimlessly, and on the occasion when he DOES have a good direction, they pull the rug out from under him at the worst time possible. Note: this has happened to every worthwhile talent in TNA at one point or another. Compare that to Jeff Jarrett's superstar treatment, and its easy to see why Raven (and damn near everyone else) has floundered in TNA as a big star.

The thing is, Raven DOES have creative control in TNA, he controls the direction of his character and the details of his programs. Obviously he can't just say, "give me the belt and let me be the top heel," but his programs and all that are most definitely designed by him. They've used his programs with Mitchell, Sandman, Sabu, Abyss, etc. as a "special attraction" type thing, it's almost like Raven has had his own little corner of TNA to play in most of the time, because he does draw in a niche audience and doesn't need a title to do so. Having the belt during the dark period was his reward for bringing all of that to the table.

*EDIT* and WCW was much the same way, give Raven his space to do his thing, off in his own little corner of the company, and try not to get him too involved with anything important because he's his own draw. Difference is, Raven was a much hipper, younger, more motivated performer at that time, and the results were much better.

I didn't know Raven had creative control. You're right about Raven having his own niche in TNA (and WCW, for that matter) that brings in his own kind of audience. My thing has always been, if TNA needs a champion who is A) a well-known name, B) good in the ring and on the mic, C) willing to help create new stars to carry the company, and D) a draw for audiences, why not go with Raven, as he is all those things?

In the past three years, TNA has only given the forefront position to Jarrett, and he is clearly NOT those things. If Raven can still be over and draw an audience while in his own little corner, then he should be carrying TNA into the Spike era instead of JJ, who's proven that he can't draw even when given the God push.

The idea of Nash/Jarrett could be alright if they went in the direction that Nash just wants one more big moment in his career and that if he loses he will retire. He defeats Jarrett and goes on to fued with M. Brown.

I'd prefer Raven to Jarrett as champion and I think 95% of people would...but, seeing as it's not going to happen any time soon, I'm still hoping Raven's going to pitch that Heat angle he had lined up with Hurricane and use it in TNA. At least give him something to do while he's waiting around for the main event to open again. Replace Hurricane with Shark Boy and find someone to take Tommy's role.