TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dangerous A

Sling Box

Heard this advertised on the radio and seems like a nifty device, although it's very expensive. I guess you hook this bad boy up to your TV and through the internet, you can watch whatever is on your cable, satellite, or DVR/Tivo machine through a PC or laptop so long as you have a broadband internet connection.

Here is the home page..

http://www.slingmedia.com/

Opinions?

Seems like a very niffy device. I just wonder how long until someone finds a way to hack it, co-locate it somewhere with a nice connection and allow many users all to watch TV freely. :)

The point of this box is, that you can watch whatever you want through your own cable (or maybe others latter on) anywhere you have an internet connection. Obviously they make TV cards which let you watch TV on computer.

Guest Vitamin X

Actually, it's not that expensive. BestBuy.com has it listed at $299.99, which is cheaper or around the same price as you'd use for any hi-tech gadget related to TV viewing, like TiVo.

Not something I think I'd like to use though, unless I was a frequent traveler and couldn't WAIT to watch something on TV.

Reminds me of GoToMyPC in the way that regular people will install this and not realize that it's opening up holes in their internet firewalls that could be exploited.

Especially since 92% of the people who find out it doesn't work with their firewall fully armed will disable their whole firewall rather than set up exceptions to allow traffic through on special ports.