TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in College Football 10/13 - 10/15

I think the thing ND fans or USC haters should be complaining about the most is the spotting of the ball on the last play. No wait should it have been on the one.

good point, if it were properlly spotted, USC would have no choice but to tie the game with the FG.

You know, the whole time I'm thinking...

"WHAT THE FUCK?!? WHAT AREN'T THEY KICKING THE FIELD GOAL?!? YOU'RE NOT GOING TO SCORE YOU'RE NOT GOING TO SCORE!"

...literally screaming at the top of my lungs at my computer playing the game.

The Coaches Poll is an absolute joke. How the fuck is Texas Tech above UCLA? I can't wait for Texas to expose them for the absolute frauds that they are next weekend.

Texas Tech was ranked in the preseason poll. I think the coaches see teams' records, and just have no idea whatsoever who they actually played. At least the writers who vote in the AP poll make an effort.

Actually, to be fair, CFN does make an effort, and they have Texas Tech at 12 and UCLA at 15. I'm really not seeing it at all, as Nebraska's the only Top 50 opponent they played all year, and they would have lost that game if that nose tackle had just dove to the ground. I think Texas Tech's the most overrated team in the country, and the idea that they can play with Texas is ludicrous.

I say:

Texas 52

Texas Tech 27

and that's with at least one garbage time TD for Tech.

Wow. The Big East really sucks. Obviously Louisville taking two losses in conference play is disappointing, but look what else happened yesterday: Pitt comfortably handled USF, and UConn lost to Cincinatti. Grotesque.

West Virginia should run the table and finish 10-1 so that wouldn't be as bad as Pittsburgh last year. Of course if they don't run the table it could get ugly. How cool, or embarrassing depending on your perspective, would it be if Rutgers won the conference? Of course they're essentially two games out of first since they lost head-to-head against the Mountaineers.

West Virginia should run the table and finish 10-1 so that wouldn't be as bad as Pittsburgh last year. Of course if they don't run the table it could get ugly. How cool, or embarrassing depending on your perspective, would it be if Rutgers won the conference? Of course they're essentially two games out of first since they lost head-to-head against the Mountaineers.

Extremely embarassing. It's fucking Rutgers for chrissakes.

That would be pretty funny. Just imagine, 8-3 Rutgers gets their first bowl game in 30 years, and it's the Orange Bowl against undefeated #3 Virginia Tech. Sure, it's not likely, but it's not impossible either.

(Well, actually, I think the Fiesta Bowl would get stuck with them if Texas was in the Rose Bowl, but you get the idea.)

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) -- Penn State freshman wide receiver Derrick Williams will miss the rest of the season because of a broken left arm.

Williams was injured Saturday with less than four minutes left in Penn State's 27-25 loss at Michigan when he was tackled during a kickoff return by Carl Tabb. He will be sidelined three to four months, team physician Dr. Wayne Sebastianelli said.

Williams, one of the nation's top recruits, will likely need surgery. He had a season-high six catches for 59 yards against the Wolverines.

Williams finished with 22 catches for 289 yards and a TD this season, starting all seven games he played. He also had 22 carries for 105 yards and three scores. Williams returned 13 kickoffs for a 21.1 average

SI.com

Guest Vitamin X

Well, that sucks.

And here come the new polls!

Coaches Poll:

Week 8 USA Today Coaches Poll

RANK TEAM RECORD PTS PVS

1. USC (54) 6-0 1540 1

2. Texas (7) 6-0 1492 2

3. Virginia Tech (1) 6-0 1428 3

4. Georgia 6-0 1361 4

5. Alabama 6-0 1255 7

6. Miami 5-1 1218 6

7. LSU 4-1 1154 8

8. Texas Tech 6-0 1079 11

9. UCLA 6-0 1053 12

10. Florida State 5-1 934 5

11. Boston College 6-1 859 14

12. Notre Dame 4-2 846 9

13. Ohio State 4-2 742 15

14. Penn State 6-1 726 10

15. Auburn 5-1 655 20

16. Oregon 6-1 588 21

17. Wisconsin 6-1 553 23

18. Tennessee 3-2 543 18

19. Florida 5-2 450 13

20. West Virginia 6-1 405 25

21. TCU 6-1 221 NR

22. Michigan State 4-2 190 17

23. California 5-2 175 16

24. Virginia 4-2 120 NR

25. Minnesota 5-2 90 22

And the AP poll:

Week 8 AP Top 25

RANK TEAM RECORD PTS PVS

1. USC (57) 6-0 1617 1

2. Texas (8) 6-0 1566 2

3. Virginia Tech 6-0 1495 3

4. Georgia 6-0 1426 5

5. Alabama 6-0 1306 6

6. Miami 5-1 1278 7

7. LSU 4-1 1201 10

8. UCLA 6-0 1085 12

9. Notre Dame 4-2 1020 9

10. Texas Tech 6-0 1007 13

11. Florida State 5-1 1003 4

12. Penn State 6-1 854 8

13. Boston College 6-1 809 14

14. Ohio State 4-2 798 15

15. Oregon 6-1 665 20

16. Auburn 5-1 644 21

17. Tennessee 3-2 581 17

18. Florida 5-2 575 11

19. Wisconsin 6-1 549 23

20. West Virginia 6-1 379 NR

21. TCU 6-1 249 25

22. Michigan State 4-2 223 16

23. Virginia 4-2 161 NR

24. Fresno State 4-1 100 NR

25. California 5-2 89 18

Unanimous Top 10, baby! Whoo

Does the Game of the Century work it's way into there? Is that in the last 35 years. Let's see was it 74? So yeah......is it on there?

The Game Of The Century IS on that list. Geez.

In fact, I'd be willing to bet that they picked 35 years as the cutoff JUST so they could include that game (which was in 1971).

Guest Ether

To do so WVU would have to lose 2 games - with at USF, at Cinci, UConn, and Pitt remaining, and for Rutgers to win out, which includes a Louisville game. That would make Rutgers 9-2, so at least from a record standpoint it looks okay. Of course, I don't see that scenario happening anyways so it's a moot point.

Apparently Urban Meyer was sobbing in the post-game press conference after the loss to LSU. Between the blowout at Alabama and the apparent difficulty of the spread option against SEC defenses, ND fans and alumns must be very happy they got Weis instead of him...

Yeah he was crying because he thought the Gators had a very "emotional and inspired effort". I really like Chris Leak as a Quarterback, and think he is immensely talented but he just isn’t the right fit for this type of offense. When you see him hand it off for meaningless gains of 2 or less, he is really supposed to read the defense and react accordingly. But the thing is, he rarely pulls it away and runs the option, and that’s why you’re seeing the pointless gains up the middle. I’m hoping we get to see more of freshman Josh Portis because he is extremely talented and is a almost a picture perfect fit for Urban Meyer’s offense.

I personally don't have a problem with the dude sobbing. What I liked better was MSU's coach going nuts at halftime.

Personally though I think the biggest coaching reaction we'll get this year is when Bob Stoops climbs to the top of Memorial Stadium and begins picking players off with a sniper rifle.

The sad thing is that WVU isn't any good particularly, just a JTTS destined to get killed in the BCS game they go to. You know what's sad? U of L had them flat out beat until we gooned their QB and they put in the backup and started doing all sorts of wild option style stuff that NO Louisville team has ever had any clue how to defend. I don't care what year, what coach, anything....U of L has never defended the option for shit.

Yeah he was crying because he thought the Gators had a very "emotional and inspired effort". I really like Chris Leak as a Quarterback, and think he is immensely talented but he just isn’t the right fit for this type of offense. When you see him hand it off for meaningless gains of 2 or less, he is really supposed to read the defense and react accordingly. But the thing is, he rarely pulls it away and runs the option, and that’s why you’re seeing the pointless gains up the middle. I’m hoping we get to see more of freshman Josh Portis because he is extremely talented and is a almost a picture perfect fit for Urban Meyer’s offense.

I think Leak is probably leaving after this year. I imagine Portis will be a better fit for the offense, Leak's skills just aren't compatible with the spread option I would guess.

I know Leak isn't the right fit for what Meyer did at Utah, but I also think Meyer would be an idiot to toss Leak aside. Leak can ball with SEC defenses. I guess we'll see how the rest of the season--specifically, the games against Georgia and FSU--shakes out.

Guest Vitamin X
I personally don't have a problem with the dude sobbing. What I liked better was MSU's coach going nuts at halftime.

Personally though I think the biggest coaching reaction we'll get this year is when Bob Stoops climbs to the top of Memorial Stadium and begins picking players off with a sniper rifle.

Oh shush dude, it's not going to end up that bad. As they say, there's always next year.

It's not like OU is likely to miss a bowl at this point either. Baylor and Oklahoma State are dreadful (though Baylor's probably the better team, which is funny), and A&M looks like shit too. And really, even a team that finishes 5th or 6th in the Big XII gets to hit up something decent like the Alamo Bowl.

Besides, while a mediocre season is obviously going to disappoint, going, like, 35-5 over the past three years has got to lessen the blow a bit. College football is up and down, always has been.

No team has won more games since 2000 than OU.

Since 2000 we've gone 13-0, 10-2, 10-2, 12-2(or something like that in 2003), and 12-1. And we've finished 1, 4, 4, 3, and 3. So yeah that makes it kind of hard to have the season like we're having now.

Oh and the reason I say that Bob Stoops will go crazy isn't just b/c of the season. It's if you watch during the games he just doesn't get angry. He just shakes his head like "god dammit. Not again!" but he never yells or freaks out like he has in the past. I say it's a rage building.

I know Leak isn't the right fit for what Meyer did at Utah, but I also think Meyer would be an idiot to toss Leak aside.  Leak can ball with SEC defenses.  I guess we'll see how the rest of the season--specifically, the games against Georgia and FSU--shakes out.

That's the thing. Urban always says he will 'adjust the offense to fit Chris' skills' but he never does it. He is better under centre, but he is still in the shotgun 99% of the time.

I would hate to see Chris leave but at the same time, I really want to see Meyer unleash Josh Portis on the SEC. The guy has some serious talent.