TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

2005-2006 MLB Offseason thread

I'm looking forward to Flash Gordon hopefully having another good year or two. Earlier I complained about not risking the 4 years for Wagner. On the other hand, with a late 30's closer in Gordon, you have to be a little concerned with the potential of him not being the same in just a year.

Ultimately, I am quite pleased that the Phillies usual sleepwalking off season, save for one recent good recruiting spree, seems to have come to an end. I'm happy moves are being made, and thus far I think they're all significant improvements over who we got rid of.

I'm optimistic.

Edited by UseTheSledgehammerUh

Phillies sign Tom Gordon to a 3 year deal. While I'm sad hes gone, as he was a regular season savior, there was just no way we were going to give a 38 year old a 3 year deal.

Have fun with his post season SUCK though.

I'd be thrilled if the Phillies actually made the post-season!

I thought the Giants first round pick was protected. All this after Brian Sabean said he wouldn't throw draft picks away anymore.

My mistake. Since the Giants finished in the bottom half of the league, they'll lose their second round pick instead.

Edited by EVIL~! alkeiper

Red Sox aquired RHP Jermaine Van Buren from the Cubs for a PTBNL. Van Buren had 134 strikeouts in 112IP in the minors last season

He also walked a ridiculous amount when he got to the majors. I remember him being the guy Dusty would bring in if the game was close and wanted to get fans all nervous by having the other team load the bases via the walk.

according to the Boston Globe, Larry Luchino wants to make Jim Beattie the GM. Drive Theo out so you can bring in Beattie? I hope Wally the Green Monster lures him up to the left field seats and pushes him over the wall if he makes Beattie the GM.

Red Sox aquired RHP Jermaine Van Buren from the Cubs for a PTBNL. Van Buren had 134 strikeouts in 112IP in the minors last season

He also walked a ridiculous amount when he got to the majors. I remember him being the guy Dusty would bring in if the game was close and wanted to get fans all nervous by having the other team load the bases via the walk.

He had nearly a 3:1 K/BB ratio in the minors leading up to his major league stint, so I wouldn't expect him to post three times as many walks as strikeouts again.

Personally, I think this is a great move for Boston. The PTBNL is a marginal giveaway for the Sox and, after a little bit of seasoning in Pawtucket, he could potentially contribute later this season. Sure, he's a little old for prospect status, but posting a 1.98 ERA in the PCL with 65 strikeouts in 54.2 innings ain't easy.

Luis Castillo has been traded to the Twins for two pitchers, Travis Bowyer and Scott Tyler.

Apparently, Travis Bowyer will be the Marlins new closer.

Farnsworth will sign a 3 year, 17-18 million dollar deal with the Yankees.

Also, I believe according to the NY Post, the Marlins have offered Juan Pierre for Scott Proctor and Sean Henn.

Edited by Cena's Writer

Okay, so any guesses on what the Florida payroll is going to look like at the end of this offseason? $25 million? $15 million?

I mean, come on. Castillo's actually a good value per salary, and he's a free agent after next year anyway - why trade him now, unless you're just intent on gutting the entire roster?

Okay, so any guesses on what the Florida payroll is going to look like at the end of this offseason? $25 million? $15 million?

$32M sounds like a good guess

Watch them still win 83 games, much to the chagrin of everyone in the world but Mik

Right now the Marlins have $8.25mill on the books not counting what Juan Pierre might get in arbitration(along with other arby eligible players) and all their league minimum contracts.

Also, I believe according to the NY Post, the Marlins have offered Juan Pierre for Scott Proctor and Sean Henn.

Do it! I'm totally down on Henn after last year's debacle, and after two years in the pen Proctor has looked pretty unremarkable. If they get great on Florida, oh well, those are the breaks. Pierre isn't the ideal CF, but he's sure as hell better than Bubba Crosby.

There is strong speculation out here that the Padres are going to trade Mark Loretta to the Red Sox for David Wells. The Padres would then sign Nomar Garciaparra to play 2nd base.

Let's have him go from the Padres to the Red Sox and back again. It's pretty dumb to trade a good hitting 2nd baseman, but whatever.

according to the Boston Globe, Larry Luchino wants to make Jim Beattie the GM. Drive Theo out so you can bring in Beattie? I hope Wally the Green Monster lures him up to the left field seats and pushes him over the wall if he makes Beattie the GM.

Good luck with that..

And as for the Orioles, it doesn't look like they're going to be able to pull off anything..Im still amazed that they managed to get Tejada to sign..