TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
res37618

Impact of Hurricane Wilma

From the weather report I saw this morning, it looks as if the storm will be right over Florida during a good portion of the day on Sunday. There has been an update on TNAwrestling.com stating that the events are scheduled to go on as planned, but I feel like it's probably uncertain at best . . .

So, TNA is preparing for their "WrestleMania" of sorts, and here comes a big-ass strong hurricane. What will they do? I'm guessing it will just move to the next Sunday, but if that conflicts with something else going on at Universal Studios, then they may have a problem . . .

Any thoughts, or has anyone heard any news concerning this?

I don't think we'll know much of anything about impacting BFG until sometime Saturday. It'll suck because it may impact not only attendance, which is low anyways and their first paying show, but the wrestlers themselves may not make it.

I really hope this thing either takes a sharp turn away from Orlando or weakens to a tropical storm or something.

Ha! I get it! "Impact"!

*ahem*

But in all seriousness, yeah, this could screw some things up. Like DA said, wrestlers might not be able to make it, attendance might go down, show might get cancelled altogether. Although it's my understanding that Orlando's relatively far in-land? Correct me if I'm wrong on that, but I think things will turn out fine.

Well, I hope they do.

Ha! I get it! "Impact"!

*ahem*

But in all seriousness, yeah, this could screw some things up. Like DA said, wrestlers might not be able to make it, attendance might go down, show might get cancelled altogether. Although it's my understanding that Orlando's relatively far in-land? Correct me if I'm wrong on that, but I think things will turn out fine.

Well, I hope they do.

I wondered if someone would get my little joke :D

Orlando is about mid-way inland from each shore, but with Florida being not very wide, that's not saying much. My wife and I went to Orlando over the summer, and although it's a great place, I wouldn't want to be there during a hurricane.

The fanfest will definitely happen. As for the show, it's hard to say and really Universal's decision. If they close down the park the show won't go on and it's already going to be raining so the people who paid for the show and like to show up 8 hours ahead of time are going to be pretty miserable. Here's hoping the show goes ahead.

I just read a report that the hurricane actually has died down today to the shock of the forecasters of the situation as of late. So maybe it will continue to do so and this wont be as big of a deal as it's sounding like it could be. If they have to cancel it outright, I'm not sure how that would work in terms of ppv - I would assume they just do it the next weekend, but there is probably something already on the ppv lineup for some of these carriers already though.

Because of a hurricane risk every year in Florida, I still don't think it was a good idea for TNA to move their headquarters there last year.

I think TNA should move their headquarters somewhere where there aren't too many dangerous natural disasters occurring so that they won't have to worry about cancelling shows (especially PPV's) like they've had to since last year.

Another potentially shitty thing is this could effect Liger showing up at all. From what I gather, he's on a tight schedule and may not make it if they have to postpone the show.

God, I haven't asked for much, so please have this thing become a tropical storm by the time Sunday rolls around.

Another potentially shitty thing is this could effect Liger showing up at all. From what I gather, he's on a tight schedule and may not make it if they have to postpone the show.

God, I haven't asked for much, so please have this thing become a tropical storm by the time Sunday rolls around.

Wilma may just slow down enough to avoid causing major problems for Florida over the weekend at least.

The PPV is simply too important a stage in TNA's development to be delayed. If at all humanly possible, the show must go on.

Unless the Hurricane moves much farther North than expected or the water really warms up, it's not going to be a huge deal in Orlando.

They should be able to get everything in.

Unless the Hurricane moves much farther North than expected or the water really warms up, it's not going to be a huge deal in Orlando.

They should be able to get everything in.

Just checking the latest Hurricane Center postings, the storm track has slowed down tremendously. There's only a projected 5-10% chance of Orlando even receiving tropical storm force winds between now and 2 a.m. EDT Monday. The Bound for Glory weekend seems out of danger.

The TV tapings later in the week may be more problematic.

Why not move the show to Saturday night. Dolphins/Chiefs could reschedule a football game with one day notice, so TNA should be able to reschedule the show. Most of the talent should already be in Florida, have the fanfest Saturday morning and the show on Saturday night.

Why not move the show to Saturday night.  Dolphins/Chiefs could reschedule a football game with one day notice, so TNA should be able to reschedule the show.  Most of the talent should already be in Florida, have the fanfest Saturday morning and the show on Saturday night.

Yeah but I'm sure there is a good amount of people coming from out of town. Changing everything up like that (esp. with so limited time) is a little different than a NFL game being changed up a tad. Plus it would be a fucking mess and a half with the ppv providers, plus Impact will be building the ppv on Sunday, so you are saying do the ppv BEFORE Impact?!!! Just wouldnt work, hate to say it but its true. Most people who were planning on getting the ppv wouldnt even be aware of the change.

Well, the center of the storm has moved past Florida now. A guy I know in Orlando still has power and is talking to me online. Should be no problem with the Impact Tapings.

Well, the center of the storm has moved past Florida now.  A guy I know in Orlando still has power and is talking to me online.  Should be no problem with the Impact Tapings.

Universal Studios in Orlando was closed Monday, according to the Orlando Sentinel but will reopen Tuesday. TNA was very fortunate. I wish the same could be said about others further south.