TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Damaramu

Good lifting plan?

Man I started kickboxing yesterday and it was insane. I'm sore today. I don't need weights with that. We didn't learn any combos or anything, we just did circuit.

I got there and we jump roped forever. Then we did squat thrusts into jumps for what seemed like 10 minutes. Then we had to do the circuit but we didn't finish. I ran on a trampoline for two minutes straight, then i uppercutted a bag for two minutes straight, then i uppercutted another bag, then ran on the trampoline some more, then i used the speedbag, then chinups, then these weird ab exercises, then i jumped over a punching bag, then i did squat kicks. I did each of these with a 30 second rest between and did the exercises straight without stopping. Then we did 15 minutes of ab workouts.

My stomach and legs are sore today. It was a damn good workout. I had to lose my shirt halfway through because I was sweating so bad that it looked like I'd jumped in a pool.

Guest Brian

So, I went back today to Jiu Jitsu. Two years out. I didn't look half-bad, and I even tapped out my partner with a gi choke even though he'd been going there fo about seven or eight months (I got caught with an armbar). But shit if my mind isn't completely out of it. My instincts were right there; I blocked the armbar fine (up until I couldn't figure out what to do and gave up my arm), evaded the back mount and rear naked choke; I passed guard and mounted, an my base was fine. Even my cardio was fine, but I just wasn't really finishing that well. Usually I'm thinking like, two steps ahead, and like how I can position my body after going for something, or how I can set up this move, but it really wasn't working that well for me today. I fucked up back mount, and my guard was shit because I couldn't really figure out what I was going today, and I forgot to lock an arm on a triangle attempt.

Good job.

If the weather is too hot, go swimming :)

It's the best weather for it.

It's really good for you and low impact too. And it's harder in the wintertime...

Guest Brian

I had around twenty months. I was doing really well back then. But I was really lazy, not even thinking about it or keeping up with it for a while. I'm not going to say you should spar while you're down, but stick with the motions, and maybe find a way to get a practice session because of your knee.

Now I'm all fucking strength, as I went in for the morning session today since there's some more advanced guys in there. I got mounted by this burly two-hundred eighty pound and went to elbow escape and pushed him a foot and half off the ground and popped into full guard on my first attempt. Today, I tried to be alot more patient and just grind things out, and in practice I was moving a lot slicker transitioning from the keylock to an armbar and switching arms as he blocked. Yeah, it's not in sparring, but just starting to think in phases like that where I can transition blocks helps my confidence a great deal. I'm thinking if I get in three times a week, I'd go out for Copa Northwest just to test myself, but I doubt I can drop the 25 or so pounds I need to by the 29th. Fuck, I need to get out and doing the tournaments soon.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

How hard is it to find someone worth a shit to learn Jiu Jitsu under? I get tired of boxing after a while, so I've been thinking about taking up a different martial art of some sort.

Choking the life out of people and breaking limbs appeals to me.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Furthermore, how practical is BJJ? The general scenario is some drunk moron wants to fight, and I can't get to a weapon. I'm after something that will end a fight as quickly and painfully as possible, as well as work on my cardio, which is admittedly shit. I can just hit really really hard.

I've gotta imagine that even a purely tournament-based martial art like Tae Kwon Do would nonetheless be effective in a fight, as long as you don't let the guy tackle you?

Guest wildpegasus

In a public place, one of the things you've got to be careful of when a fight goes to the ground is the possibility of someone else attacking you when you're in a prone posistion. So keep that in mind as well.

BJJ is effective in a street fight because rather than submit him, you can just smother him, get a dominant position and beat the hell out of him. If he hasn't even heard the name Gracie, he probably will have no choice but to wait for you to stop.

Brian; when you spar do you use a lot of your strength or do you purposely not try to overwhelm people and use technique? I find it hard to find the balance of being aggressive in technique yet not going crazy without any technique. I guess controlled aggression is the key.

I had another grueling day of kickboxing.

They told me that I didn't look like a beginner. They said my punches and kicks had great technique and the guy holding the bag for me said I punched and kicked harder than most of the people in the gym.

Maybe I found a calling.....

Guest Brian
BJJ is effective in a street fight because rather than submit him, you can just smother him, get a dominant position and beat the hell out of him. If he hasn't even heard the name Gracie, he probably will have no choice but to wait for you to stop.

Brian; when you spar do you use a lot of your strength or do you purposely not try to overwhelm people and use technique? I find it hard to find the balance of being aggressive in technique yet not going crazy without any technique. I guess controlled aggression is the key.

I try to use both. I usually rely on my strength, and the fact that I'm a good scrambler from wrestling, to work into my technique. For a white belt, I was always really patient, because most beginning guys really rely on explosiveness and quickness. I like to just use my strength to smother guys, and then start moving forward with whatever I can come up. Part of it is learning how to use your strengths effectively, and the molding that around how you develop your technique. I love the armbars because you can really put your weight into someone and if you posture or move at the right point, you've got the hold easy. Plus, I love thinking in terms of armbars: how can I transition this into this, and it really brings me back to the kind of wrestling I use to do in my backyard, which was chain wrestling, and in turn my favorite shows are those that tell beautiful strories that pull these different themes together with all the neat little references. That's how I view jiu-jitsu, because it's this art where you progress from step-to-step while putting in all the little bits of build-up until you put yourself in a position to win. It's poetic to me, and I've probably waxed at it too much. But really, I think that being strong is just a tool, like flexibility, that allows you to impose your offense. It's like a building block, so you don't work on jiu jitsu in spite of it, you work with it.

It just seems to me that taking up a sport is so much better than actually going to the gym and working out. It gets you in shape and you want to do it and it's fun.

Oh man another tough workout today. I love kickboxing if not for just the workout.

We did a bunch of push-ups using medicine balls. I think going through all the stations today I had to do 200 f'n pushups. That's a lot when it's 90 degrees in the gym and you're doing other taxing things besides pushups.

So, due to various sisues, I haven't been able to work out more than once to twice a week for more than a month, and I haven't been able to eat nearly as much. I did drop down to 142, but now I'm back at 149. I'm pretty sure I gained a little fat and lost some muscle, but it's not going to hurt me too much, and it's really only noticeable to me.

I'm seriously considering going to my cousin's Brazilian jiu-jitsu class since he invited me. I've always had an interest in martial arts, but it comes and goes. This should be fun, although it's on the same nights as wrestling training, which could cause a conflict.

Matt, I can notice the fat. Lard ass.

Haha.

Now, if only I can crack 149 and get to 150. I've been stuck between 144-149 for about 2 months. I'm sure the erratic workout and eating patterns (due to circumstance rather than preference) have contributed.

Guest DRH 502

Currently bulking. Lifting 4 days a week, sometimes 5. 200-ish right now (on a 6' frame that doesn't look so impressive). I have several splits, but when I first started I found a Push Day (minus quads and calves), a Pull Day(minus hamstrings), and a Leg Day were great. Alot of people said Deadlifts were important for overall muscle development and I didn't think much of it but lately i've been doing alot of deads and I must say it is great for mass...

Guest DRH 502

Well to be fair, for a good chunk of his begining career he lifted weights alot...but yeah now his training consists mostly of bodyweight exercise, sparing and high altitude training...but its definately not fair to include Fedor in HUMAN discussion since we all know dude is a cyborg.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

Evaluate and tell me what I need to change: (I do the same general routine 6-7 days a week..a no no I know)

Start off with doing arm curls with 55lb weights in each hand (3 reps of 10)

I move on to a 700 lb leg press (3 reps of 10)

The next thing i do I'm not sure what its called but basically I put 90 lbs on each weight machine and then bend slightly and pull each weight handle til my arms cross under my chest. (3 reps of 10)

Then its the chest press I do 130-150 lbs (3 reps of 10)

Then I do 10 pull ups and 10 dips

Then I work on a an oblique machine with 170 lbs on it (3 reps of 20)

I finish off with a machine that you brace your legs then pull a weight towards your chest. I do that one at 140 lbs (3 reps of 10)

I used to add sit ups and a 3 mile run every day, but now I got lazy/depressed.

(I know I need more Ab work as I have great shoulders and arms but my abs covered in a bit of flab.... I have both a lil beer belly and my ribs show off...weird combo IMO)

BTW I am 6'1 and about 235-240 in weight.

Guest DRH 502

Well bro, to correct you, you are doing 3 sets of 10 reps not vice versa i'd hope. Also, 55 pound dumbells for curls at your weight is fine as long as you are using strict form. I don't lift heavy at all but focus more on form and its done great for me. Second are you trying to do a full body workout once or twice a week?? Check this website out dude:

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/WtMale.html

Click on any body part of that naked dude and it will give you a whole list of exercises, descriptions of how to do them and animated GIFs so you can see what you are doing...

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/WorkoutMenu.html

Those are workout templates. They have several different splits ranging from full body workouts to 3 day splits all the way up to like 5 I think. Check it out and see which looks good for you and work from there. Honestly that is the best site I have ever ran across for help with exercises...

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

Yeah i screwed up the reps thing...too lazy to change it. Alas... thanks for the links.

Guest DRH 502

Your welcome. If you need anymore advice about lifting weights let me know...i'm a dork about that kinda stuff.

So I thought kickboxing was not only supposed to help me get in shape but help me relieve stress and not be so angry all the time....it has failed on that last account thus far.

Guest DRH 502

When you find a workout that will alleviate anger for me (and not just for the time i'm working out i'm talking all day) you let me know. I feel like i'm 20 going on 40...so you are just doing regular kickboxing or Muay Thai kickboxing? I'm interested in learning how to box period but I wish there was like an MMA club around here so you could divulge in a little bit of everything and shoot around in sparring sessions. That would be a good time and definatly be all the cardio I need...

I honestly don't think there is anywhere that teaches Muay Thai around here. So I'm just doing regular kickboxing.

Does anyone else run into and hate those kids that do like just boxing or just kickboxing or just jiu-jitsu and they go "Yeah I train in MMA!"

So I thought kickboxing was not only supposed to help me get in shape but help me relieve stress and not be so angry all the time....it has failed on that last account thus far.

You could always stop watching ESPN...

Anyway, that site DRH provided is a good place, I put together an entire workout based off that site's suggestions.