TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Damaramu

Good lifting plan?

Guest DRH 502
Does anyone else run into and hate those kids that do like just boxing or just kickboxing or just jiu-jitsu and they go "Yeah I train in MMA!"

Yeah they totally miss the concept of it being called "Mixed" Martial Arts...

Guest Princess Leena

So, I've been jogging for like half an hour every day the past couple weeks. And lost 4 pounds! I guess it's a lot better than a stationary bike, treadmill, and such.

Guest Felonies!

Leena needs to be in peak physical condition for when he (shudder) "plants his seed" in her.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool
Evaluate and tell me what I need to change: (I do the same general routine 6-7 days a week..a no no I know)

Start off with doing arm curls with 55lb weights in each hand (3 reps of 10)

I move on to a 700 lb leg press (3 reps of 10)

The next thing i do I'm not sure what its called but basically I put 90 lbs on each weight machine and then bend slightly and pull each weight handle til my arms cross under my chest. (3 reps of 10)

Then its the chest press I do 130-150 lbs (3 reps of 10)

Then I do 10 pull ups and 10 dips

Then I work on a an oblique machine with 170 lbs on it (3 reps of 20)

I finish off with a machine that you brace your legs then pull a weight towards your chest. I do that one at 140 lbs (3 reps of 10)

I used to add sit ups and a 3 mile run every day, but now I got lazy/depressed.

(I know I need more Ab work as I have great shoulders and arms but my abs covered in a bit of flab.... I have both a lil beer belly and my ribs show off...weird combo IMO)

BTW I am 6'1 and about 235-240 in weight.

So should I start cardio every other day in stead of the weight lifting? I'm worried that I might be over doing it and curtailing my muscle growth.

Well, try and run some.

If you get out of breath quickly, your heart is probably no good. Why exercise your blessed biceps if your heart, your HEART lays fallow?

Here's a tip, muscle mass is overrated. Cardio is as or more important as/than lifting, so if you're not fairly and equally distributing it, you're doing yourself a disservice.

Guest wildpegasus

If one wants to improve their cardio/out of breath factor with weight trainig try intense high rep squats if you have the guts for it which I find 99% of people don't. TRUST me. These work and will improve your cardio. In fact, a lot of people may find that they don't have the cardio for stuff like high rep breathing squats. Of course, be careful when you do stuff like this. It's probably best to gradually improve your intensity.

I see some people here are running too frequently. That will come back to haunt your knees and such ESPECIALLY if you're over a certain weight or are running on too hard a surface. I reccomend running on the ground (even the treadmill can be tough on you), running less frequently and switching some of that running with walking if you want to go the running route.

anaerobic means anaerobic, means you will WILL run out of breath.

Any type of exercise does you no endurance good if you cannot do it for at least FIVE minutes. I don't know how long most people, especially people on the heavier side can do constant squats.

Just get on a bike or elliptical or into a pool. I don't like running but if it works for you, by all means, have at it. But find a nice track. Don't fuck up your knees.

Guest DRH 502

I guess it all depends on goals. I lift for muscle. Thats it. I frame houses for a living, and I pack a shitload of lumber all day long so my strength is fucking crazy for my size. I have usuable strength when it comes to work...when I lift i'm lifting to achieve hypertrophy, which I occurs in the 8-12 rep range...if you want to bulk up, cut your cardio down, if you want to lose weight turn your cardio up. It all depends on your goals...and your diet.

I'm thinking about getting into Judo and Boxing pretty soon.

Oh yeah, here's my scehdule for now... until I go back to school

7:30 - 8:30 - Wake up, grab some water, then hit the pool for 100 laps.

8:45 - 9:15 - 100 sit-ups, push-ups, and hindu squats. Also some stretching.

9:15 - 12:30 - Breakfast, Rest, run some errands, other stuff.

12:45 - 2:00 - Go to the beach, jog with or without the dog, play some basketball.

2:15 - 5:00 - Rest, other stuff.

5:10 - 7:10 - Weights, other types of training.

7:15 - 8:00 - Swim about 30-35 laps.

Now if I could only do this more than once a week.

Guest DRH 502

Doing all those pushups and sit ups every fucking day is very very counter productive.

Well I went in for an open workout at kickboxing today. After working for about 3 hours(and man it was a great workout) the MMA guys showed up and b/c I was big and had grappling and striking experience they drug me into the ring.

I did some drills then sparred. I held my own before being caught in an arm-bar but I got some good ground and pound in.

Guest DRH 502

In the sense of building muscle its pointless. If you do all those situps and pushups everyday your body is going to be in a constant catabolic state...which is your body's reaction to muscle stress. You grow when you rest. There is just no point to it whatsoever...why would you want to work the same body parts everyday?? Unless your goal is to prove you can do lots of pushups and situps and hindu squats...or maybe endurance?? Still go to any fitness forum and ask that question, you'll get similar responses.

Man my cardio has got to get better doing this workout for kickboxing.

I have to do 14 rounds and each round is 3 minutes with a 1 minute rest in between. I had to do:

1 rd: Jump Rope

1 rd: shadow kickboxing

3 rd: All out kicking

1 rd: left jab

1 rd: right jab

2 rd: all out punching

1 rd: speed bag

2 rd: reflex bag

1 rd: all out punching and kicking

I was dying. But then I had to time myself after that on all these exercises:

-20 squat thrusts

-20 push ups

-7 sprints(we have an area)

-20 squat kicks(20 on each leg)

-30 seconds of just straight jumping(knees to chest)

I then moved onto my ab work which lasted a bit.

Then I punched around on the bag lightly for a bit waiting for the guys in the ring to get done.

Then I got into the ring and worked with a fellow big guy(he's a 205er actually and he claims he can get me to 205) on the wizard takedown(i believe that's what it was), headlock takedowns, armbars from side control, and armbars from the guard. Then we did some light sparring.

Normally I thought I'd be dead after a workout like that but I felt suprisingly good. Is that a sign that I'm getting in much better shape? I guess my body is responding better to working out.

I should also mention that there the temperature of our gym ranges from 80-90 degrees.

Yeah Dama, there's is absolutely nothing positive about a hot gym.

Sweating out weight is the most ridiculous thing ever.

Dehydrating yourself is idiocy.

Guest DRH 502

Eh its easy to workout where its nice and air conditioned...it takes mental focus and toughness to do what he is doing...

I suppose. But there's nothing to be gained by damaging yourself.

Working until you puke is nothing to be proud of, you're poisoning yourself with your own acids... Its stupid.

Guest wildpegasus
I suppose. But there's nothing to be gained by damaging yourself.

Working until you puke is nothing to be proud of, you're poisoning yourself with your own acids... Its stupid.

This reminds me of one of my favourite quotes of all time

"You don't know intensity until you've puked doing a set of barbell curls" :) Something like that anyway. I remember buddy describing it in a bodybuilding magazine one time. Before I pass away, this is something I gotta do.

I don't know about the pride thing. Real men love intensity. I'm very proud of some of my tougher squat sessions. I can't squat that, that much weight but I do love murdering my legs and not being able to walk for days afterwards. This has also given me a fantastic life ability -- the ability to withold any urge to puke. The stomach will be swirling but I always manage to keep it in there.

Of course, that's not always the best way to bring out strength results (though I believe you might be able to work this to your advantage but that's another story for another time) and my lesser but still really intense routine was (unfortunately I can't really squat right now) pulling in better strength results

Guest DRH 502
I can't squat that, that much weight but I do love murdering my legs and not being able to walk for days afterwards

Do you have a job dude?

Guest wildpegasus
I can't squat that, that much weight but I do love murdering my legs and not being able to walk for days afterwards

Do you have a job dude?

I got "laid off" (long, complicated story) awhile ago and am only working (without getting paid) a little bit now. I did a lot of physical labour when working that drains your legs so yeah; those days were a lot of fun! :)

I haven't posted here yet but here is my workout plan:

Day 1:

Deadlift

Squats

Pull Ups

Chin Up

Curls (maybe)

Shoulder press

Some type of forearm exercise

Day 2:

Bench Press

Incline Press

Barbell Flys

Dips

Day 3:

Cardio

Day off, Repeat

And that's it basically. That's all you need to get big as long as you eat right. Get some whey protein and you're good to go. I seriously can't stress deadlifts and squats enough, because hardly anyone does them but they're great. Strong legs and a strong back are most important. And be sure to increase the weight EVERY week.

Guest DRH 502

Either space day 1 and day 2 a few days apart or move your Shoulder Presses to Day 2 because it is a push movement and needs to be put with other push movements because they all directly/indirectly work your shoulders, chest and triceps...

Yeah that's a good idea actually. Would you suggest either specific day to do abs? I do weighted sit-ups but I don't do it on either specific day.

Is it possible to get in shape and build muscle if you can only lift twice a week?

I was looking at my schedule next semester and the only days I'm going to have to lift are Tuesday and Thursday and possibly Wednesday.

Guest DRH 502

Yes Dam check out the site I listed a page back. It has a 2 day split.

Angle--Sorry I didn't see this until today. Abs would be more of a pulling movement to me, but it really doesn't matter. You use your core on just about all lifts so I guess its whatever ;-)

Well one of the pro-MMAers/pro-kickboxers at my gym that used to wrestle in college gave me a 4-day a week workout and I just combined some of it to create this workout for the first day. Tell me what I should modify or if you think I might kill myself or if I should check out the website DRH listed:

Day 1: Back, Biceps, Legs

Preacher Curl 3x10

Incline Dumbbell Curls: 3x10

Barbbell Curl: 3x10

Burnout Dumbbell Curls: 3xfailure

Bentover Dumbbell Rows: 3x10

Seated Lat Pull Down: 4x10

Closegrip Lat pulldowns: 3x10

Reverse Flies: 4x12

Lower Back Machine: 3x10

Seated Rows: 3x10

Leg Press: 4x12