TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Styles

Benoit's contract up in 3 weeks

Guest *KNK*
Benoit will make the best decision for Benoit. If he wants the security, he'll go with WWE. If he wants creative freedom, he'll go with TNA/ROH or wherever.

This is true and it is annoying how people will automatically assume that working snowflake matches with Bryan Danielson means something to Chris Benoit. Chris Benoit is nearing the age of 40 (if he hasn't already reached it), He has a history of injuries that aren't going away and will always nag him. He has kids and a wife.

It's up to Chris Benoit to decide, is working "my" way and having control of my schedule more important then having a secure job for my kids.

Benoit will go all out regardless of the promotion, he might be limited in WWE, but he'll go all out within those limits. Injuries are commonplace for a wrestler, especially an aging injury riddled one like Benoit.

My mind is secure that Chris Benoit will be with WWE in 4 weeks. My hope to see him and American Dragon in a ring together is nice but I'll live without it if it means Benoit did what Benoit wanted to do for Benoit.

WCW probably offered him more money than the WWE plus a run with the title, Benoit was still unhappy there and left when he got the chance.  The question is whether or not Benoit is unhappy in the WWE.

Exactly. If Benoit is unhappy, he'll leave, regardless of how much WWE offer him.

Benoit was also unhappy in WCW for a while and put up with it, so who knows how long he can last in the WWE. If Benoit sees the similarities that a lot of us see in the WWE now with WCW then, will he want to avoid having to go through that again, or will he stick it out? I can't say. My gut tells me he'll stick with the WWE, but I can't say for sure. I hope he leaves, though.

Guest *KNK*
With the exception of Undertaker, Benjamin, London and Mysterio, there's nothing Benoit hasn't really done yet that would be good to see.

Benoit/Noble could be pretty damn fun.

Seeing as he's jobbing out in OVW, I don't think they even intend to bring him back to the main shows, even Velocity. Honestly, I forgot he was even in OVW.

Sad that 4 months ago, Jamie Gibson was working steady ***1/2+ matches weekly and is back to doing 6 minute squashes in OVW.

But it's 2005. TNA is not on WWE's level yet. 2000 was a different situation.

Expand.

TNA gets an 0.9 on Thursday Nights, when WWE does solid 3-4's with Smackdown the past few years.

Ditto with PPV buyrates.

And the fact they only come out of one arena in Orlando for all their shows.

TNA is the closest thing for an alternative at this time, but financially, exposure, marketing, etc...but it's not in the same league yet with WWE.

When Benoit left WCW, he left a sinking ship to the light at the end of the tunnel. Now that business is down and WWE is at it's worst creative point, there is no other justifiable promotion for Benoit to go to. There is no alternative.

Christian is a different situation, though.

Guest *KNK*
But it's 2005. TNA is not on WWE's level yet. 2000 was a different situation.

Expand.

I'm guessing he's alluding to the fact WWE in late 1999, when Benoit started to make his move out, was a booming business hitting on all cylinders, while offering less $, would grant him more "freedom" (as he saw in his mind), meanwhile in WCW, it was a sinking ship that was plauged with politics, mainly politics against him.

Leaving WWE,while a creative and quality nightmare, is hardly a sinking ship to a below the radar promotionn trying to build an audience to eventually compete on some level with WWE is a big mountain for aging veteran like Benoit, who is in the twilight of his career.

Other than helping new talent (which he has and can do in WWE), what can he do in TNA that 1. benefits him and 2. he hasn't done yet in his career.

Put less stress on a 40-year old mind and body.

By going to TNA and wrestling with no WWE-Style matches with risk takers like AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels, Samoa Joe, etc.? Wouldn't that be worse than what he's doing now? He'd be better off retiring if that's the case.

Guest *KNK*
Here's the point.

Other than helping new talent (which he has and can do in WWE), what can he do in TNA that 1. benefits him and 2. he hasn't done yet in his career.

1. Less travel. Atlanta is a short flight/drive to Orlando. That's attractive for a father who'se kids are growing up into their peak years.

2. Allows him to branch around to Ring of Honor and Japan, where not just "helping" young talent but he'd be working agaisnt TOP talent. Benoit is a wrestler @ heart and the appeal of working with the best talent in the world not employed and not likely to ever be employed by WWE is strong for Benoit.

Here's the point.

2. Allows him to branch around to Ring of Honor and Japan, where not just "helping" young talent but he'd be working agaisnt TOP talent.

I'm talking about TNA...Japan's a whole different story. He'd be better off of their financially then TNA.

Guest *KNK*

By going to TNA and wrestling with no WWE-Style matches with risk takers like AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels, Samoa Joe, etc.? Wouldn't that be worse than what he's doing now? He'd be better off retiring if that's the case.

Unlike WWE, he wouldn't be working 3-4 nights a week, constantly traveling with very little downtime. Not to mention countless public apperences as well.

By going to the TNA/Japan/ROH route, he works at the most 2 times a week, gives him quicker access to his home where he can properly rest.

He wouldn't be working with them every week. And he'd only be wrestling once or twice a night one day a week.

I don't look at Benoit as a guy who really wants to play it safe in the ring and do the WWE style of matches for too much longer. I'm willing to bet that he'd love to have freedom in the ring once again, especially against guys like Joe, etc...

I'm sure the guy has saved up a lot of money. Since he's getting older, he might just take the pay cut to have the chance to truly shine in the ring once again.

Guest *KNK*
Here's the point.

2. Allows him to branch around to Ring of Honor and Japan, where not just "helping" young talent but he'd be working agaisnt TOP talent.

I'm talking about TNA...Japan's a whole different story. He'd be better off of their financially then TNA.

TNA doesn't exactly pay the wrestlers with Universial Studio comps ya know. He'd make pretty decent money there and with the lack of traveling expenses, he'd nearly come out even from what he would be making with the new WWE deal.

Also, why hasn't Rudo even mentioned Brock Vs Benoit?

I'd like to imagine that would be his #1 reason for wanting Benoit to leave.

I think bottom line Benoit will resign at the 11th hour, as someone else said. At this point in his career and his legacy, WWE is probably the place to be because at least they'll perserve it to a mainstream level. Let me explain. He resigns with WWE, he'll be a sure lock for the Hall of Fame one day. He'll probably get one more Heavyweight Title run before he retires, assuming he doesn't go the Flair route. He'll have a better financial situation than he would elsewhere, assuming they end up agreeing to reasonable terms. He'll still be respected and treated as credible competitor everytime he goes out there. In 20 years, he'll still be talked about by announcers, other wrestlers, through the company, etc. He won't be forgotten, and anyone who wants to be something some day...well, that's a huge thing that money can't buy.

This is more of a matter of WWE just trying to fuck with their employees, just like they did to Triple H back in the day. Remember all the recent drama that went down with Ross and Triple H supposely having a say in not wanting him on TV because of what happened a few years back when JR played hardball with him when resigning a new contract?

It's worth having a discussion because this is the internet, and well, this is a discussion board. And I suppose it's possible it might happen. But I would bet that Benoit resigns with the WWE and this is just another story from the past.

I'd be totally shocked if he doesn't and goes else where.

Also, why hasn't Rudo even mentioned Brock Vs Benoit?

I'd like to imagine that would be his #1 reason for wanting Benoit to leave.

Man, that's the first thing I thought about when I saw this thread.

But _why_ Benoit left WCW for the WWE wasn't because WWE had higher ratings, or because WWE offered him more money, or because the buyrates were bigger, or because of the marketing. I have never heard that from him, and I didn't hear it from him at the time. He left because he was unhappy. He wasn't unhappy because they weren't paying him enough. He wasn't unhappy because the ratings or buyrates were low. He was unhappy because no matter how hard he worked, there were guys who were pushed ahead of him who didn't work nearly as hard. He hated the politics. He hated not having a purpose. He hated getting jerked around. He hated the fake promises. He hated the backstage atmosphere.

When I hear comparisons between the WWE locker room and TNA locker room, it sounds very much like how Benoit described the difference between the WCW locker room and the WCW locker room. Whether or not _Benoit_ feels that way needs to be seen.

I was going to mention Benoit vs. Brock, which would be big money for Benoit in NJPW, but I don't think money is necessarily the issue here. Benoit doesn't wrestle for money, he wrestles cause he loves it. The contract they offered him wouldn't really bother him on the financial level (it would, of course, have am effect, but I don't think it's the real issue), but as a commentary on how they think of him and see his efforts and worth to the company - it's a slap in the face.

Guest *KNK*
But _why_ Benoit left WCW for the WWE wasn't because WWE had higher ratings, or because WWE offered him more money, or because the buyrates were bigger, or because of the marketing.  I have never heard that from him, and I didn't hear it from him at the time.  He left because he was unhappy.  He wasn't unhappy because they weren't paying him enough.  He wasn't unhappy because the ratings or buyrates were low.  He was unhappy because no matter how hard he worked, there were guys who were pushed ahead of him who didn't work nearly as hard.  He hated the politics.  He hated not having a purpose.  He hated getting jerked around.  He hated the fake promises.  He hated the backstage atmosphere.

When I hear comparisons between the WWE locker room and TNA locker room, it sounds very much like how Benoit described the difference between the WCW locker room and the WCW locker room.  Whether or not _Benoit_ feels that way needs to be seen.

Precisely. Ratings only bothers people like Triple H, it never concerns Chris Benoit. Chris Benoit is about the passion of the art, but not neccesarily the *business*. If he cared about business, He would have snaked WCW into giving him a really fat contract and said, "the hell with my happiness here, I want cash". By taking a SIGNIFICANT paycut in 2000 to acheive that locker room happiness, which he enjoyed upon his arrival but we all know morale is cold and empty in that locker room. Benoit hated the emptiness of WCW and WWE has that same emptiness.

WWE promotes itself as a "big family" when it's nothing but and more high school then anything else.

Guest Hass of Pain

If Chris Benoit doesn't re-sign with WWE, I would bet we don't see him in the United States for quite a while. Benoit has probably made over five million dollars since wrestling boomed, and if there is one guy I can see not blowing his money on cars, broads and clothes it's Chris Benoit. Chances are he has saved very, very well.

Japan and Nu-Wrestling Evolution out of Italy are by far the highest probabilities for Benoit right now if he wants to continue wrestling I would guess though.

Japan and Nu-Wrestling Evolution out of Italy are by far the highest probabilities for Benoit right now if he wants to continue wrestling I would guess though.

The Dudleys for example work Japan and Italy tours and still do TNA tapings.

Guest *KNK*

The Dudleys for example work Japan and Italy tours and still do TNA tapings.

If it weren't for the high price tag, they'd be working ROH as well. Benoit would likely work cheaper and ROH would make money off Benoit, more then they would Team 3D.

Guest Hass of Pain

I don't think Ring of Honor would even want The Dudleyz, let alone pay them well. Bubba is looking like he put on 50lbs and stopped leaving his house so that his Dusty Rhodes spots would look more realistic.