eirejmcmahon

Booking Christian vs Monty...

Booking Christian vs Monty was...  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Booking Christian vs Monty was...

• ...really smart!
    • ...really dumb!

Guest *KNK*

It's not hard to re-book Monty from a loss. Jobbing Christian out the gates crushes any momentum he has.

As long as the two of them put out a very closely contested matchup then it can be done, but does anyone see this being one of those back and forth matchups that make both men look like a million bucks?

Guest *KNK*
It's not hard to re-book Monty from a loss.  Jobbing Christian out the gates crushes any momentum he has.

Simple, and yet so elusive to some people.

Give it a strong 8-10 minute match, toss in some Raven interference if you want to push towards the Raven/Monty deal but ultimately Christian needs to go over clean and with credibility.

A couple squashes and a win over the Abyss/Rhino/Hardy crowd of names puts Monty right where he was before TP

...but does anyone see this being one of those back and forth matchups that make both men look like a million bucks?

With Tenay and D'Amore having a hand, I think it's more than likely. I don't think TNA would book something like this without thinking it through.

Let's hope so because ever since the debut, there have been several head-scratching moments in regard to booking.

Christian barely escaping with his life is the only way this works.

QUOTE(Rendclaw @ Nov 19 2005, 02:37 PM)

I like the idea of a TV championship... the problem is that it can't be booked and used effectively until TNA goes to two hours. Remember the WCW days, where no matter what show it was on (Saturday Night, Nitro, etc.) you had the TV champ defending the belt every single time.

I think it would work for Brown since most of his matches are squashes. They could just keep the TV Championship on him until TNA gets two hours for Impact!.

No, the title would mean less than the IC title in the E if they did it that way. Championships (even in a worked sport like wrestling) have to mean something. In a perfect world, the World Title is the most prestigious, with the X division title and the theoretical TV title being #2 and #2a. Putting on someone who isn;t challenged for it week in and week out devalues it hugely. If Monty is being given the Goldberg push, then there is no need to give him a secondary championship.

When TNA has more time for more and longer matches, then it should be busted out. They do need a third singles title for that roster.

Since most of TNA's booking decisions are ill-conceived, that doesn't say much.

If we actually get a clean finish to Monty/Christian, the title scene is screwed anyway. Rhino's about to suffer his second singles loss to Jarrett, thus killing the push he got. Abyss and Raven are floundering in their own (ill-conceived) angles.

So, if Monty wins we get: Christian loses his first major match in TNA and JJ retains on the basis of "Monty's still not ready"

And if Christian wins we get: Monty is ruined since he's been pushed this whole time as the next big thing only to lose again, and JJ retains on the basis of "we need to push new stars"

Guest Leelee

It doesn't matter how this match is booked.

Since I know booking better than anyone, Samoa Joe deserves the belt for eternity.

Like other people said they should have gone with Christian/Petey Williams. Then they could have done a three way match Jarrett/Rhino/Monty. Monty wouldn't win, but he could look strong and continue his push.

The finish will probably see Christian dodge The Pounce, Monty spear the post, and get hit with the Unprettier while he's stunned. All he has to do is get up off the mat and shake Christian's hand afterwards and he'll be viewed as a babyface like they want, and Christian gets put over well.

That would be a decent finish... neither one's heat gets killed and they both can move onto bigger and better things. Problem is, will that even be close to the actual finish?

The finish will probably see Christian dodge The Pounce, Monty spear the post, and get hit with the Unprettier while he's stunned.  All he has to do is get up off the mat and shake Christian's hand afterwards and he'll be viewed as a babyface like they want, and Christian gets put over well.

Sounds similar to my scenario posted in the Impact Spoilers thread:

The way I see it, if they do Christian/Monty for TP, fine. But what I would do with it is have it go down to the wire, with Christian ducking/avoiding the Pounce and sending Monty sprawling to the canvas. Christian quickly hits the Unprettier and pins him for the win. Then they have Christian go "Monty, you were so close, but no dice. Try again later, kid."

I finally voted really dumb...but not because I think they booked themselves into a corner...I just think they're doing things out of order.

Christian should have taken on Bobby Roode. It would be a good match...start his Team Canada feud...and not even put the top Team Canada guy out there with him. With Joe/AJ, AMW/3D and Barbed Wire...there is no need for Christian to have anything more than a showcase match on the show.

I thought they were heading to Christian/Roode as well after Genesis since they got in each other's face and all. Then the spoilers came out and, boom, Monty/Christian was born.

Guest [censored]
They have to remember...Christian is like...a regular.  There's no need to hotshot anything.  Having him against anyone just adds to the overall card on his first TNA match.

Exactly, his first match would be a big deal regardless of who it is against. If they want to do Christian v. Brown why not wait until you need it for the PPV card.

My only guess is that TNA is wanting to make Turning Point their signature PPV with every match being a must see. Which I guess I can applaud but if they wanted to go that route wouldn't it have made more sense for Brown to defeat Rhino on Impact in a #1 contenders match and the face Jarrett for the title, meanwhile Christian defeats Young then Rhoode on Impact and then faces Williams at the PPV.

I don't know

That would have been a much better way to build him up, but their trying to go for the bigger splash by placing him with Monty.

It just isn't that necessary, IMO.

Maybe they plan on having Team Canada cost Christian the match. Christian then goes on to feud with them in tags and singles matches for a few months, while Monty goes on to win the title. Depending how well recieved Monty is with the belt, Christian has a rematch with Monty sooner or later where he becomes champ.

Yeah.. I don't like it either.

Maybe they plan on having Team Canada cost Christian the match. Christian then goes on to feud with them in tags and singles matches for a few months, while Monty goes on to win the title. Depending how well recieved Monty is with the belt, Christian has a rematch with Monty sooner or later where he becomes champ.

Yeah.. I don't like it either.

That's actually not too bad.

I don't have a prob with monty feuding with christian. Christian is in the ME scene where he should be and Monty losing this feud won't make him a less than believable champ. Hey, it's better than JJ and his convoluted finishes or stupid guitar shots (when that gimmick died when he jumped to WCW).

I'd like to see some dueling promos with the two. Christian could say something like "Ohh, look at me, I used to play in the NFL and now I pretend I'm a wild animal from Africa! Grrr!" He could even go so far as to make fun of his pounce and say how weak it looks (he would have to take one, of course, and make it look like he got hit by a truck). Monty could make fun of how he used to play a pretty boy on a soap, stuck in a love triangle in the WWE when he should've been wrestling. TNA has real wrestlers, etc., etc., etc. You're not a real wrestler.

Since when does TNA actually have credible champs?