TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anya

Xbox 360

Alright..last night while playing MLB 2k7 the game seemed to freeze up.. screen got a bit jumbled and the system just froze.

Turned off the system, turned it back on and the red rings of death came on.... upper right zone wasn't lit. Got the green lights back and tried to play MLB again.. same shit happened.

Just now, tried to play Crackdown and the system froze up while loading me into a supply point. (MLB happened once while picking my starting pitcher for a franchise game.. the other time during the game)

Is this a case of something wrong with the HD, or is it the dreaded CD-Drive problem?

Yeah the red rings suck and are the biggest draw back of the 360 so far. I'd say contact Microsoft customer support, if it's within a year of you buying it, then it's full covered under warranty.

Luckily when mine broke (14 months after purchase) my friend who I bought it from had gotten the Best Buy replacement plan, and I just got it swapped for a new one.

Good luck, it sucks.

Apparently the red ring problem is due to a defect in the heatsink during manufacturing. Or at least, that's the cause of most of the red ring issues. If you're not covered by the warranty, someone can likely fix it, either a local shop or an individual, for cheaper than what MS will charge.

I downloaded the new Halo 3 multiplayer video yesterday and honestly the Halo 3 multiplayer...looks unique. It looked more crazy than what I expected it how to be. If you get a chance, I say you download the video and take a look at it.

I'm playing the full game of Crackdown. Darn fun. I just drove defensively in the cars, though. :P

I got a Halo 3 beta invite. What is it? Singleplayer or multi?

The list: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardco...tygameslist.htm

I got a 360 last week, and have got a bunch of games, both 360 and xbox1. I know about the good, well-publicized titles that are compatible, and so far I've gotten the following:

Crimson Skies : Old-timey, mission-based flight action/shooter.

Ninja Gaiden Black: Enhanced version of Ninja Gaiden. Kicking my ass hard.

Thief- Deadly Shadows: stealth-based game where you play a (guess). Hard game, got it for free when I picked up other used games at Hollywood Video

Doom 3 Lim Edition: Cuz it was cheap and has Ultimate Doom and Doom 2. I haven't touched the main game.

Some titles I was considering:

Fable- Heard it's an RPG, but also heard action-adventure. My affinity for the Zelda series is well known, as well as fast-paced RPGs that cut out the bull (Chrono Trigger), or have solid, fun, action-heavy battles (Kingdom Hearts, Paper Mario series). I dislike KotoR and FFXII. I don't really dig dungeon crawlers or roguelikes (I really, really wanted to like Dark Cloud 2, but couldn't really stick with it).

What could I expect with Fable.

Sid Meier's Pirates! - All I know is that people seem to really like it but i don't know much about it beyond that.

Grabbed by the Ghoulies - Supposedly it's good, clean, shoot-up-baddies old-school gameplay, but it got critically massacred. Would like other opinions on it, though.

I've only played the PC version of Fable, which is supposedly longer and has more content, and even that was kind of on the short side. The Xbox version is supposed to be painfully lacking in depth and content. The plot is also cliched to the 11th degree, even more than is usual. It's still fun, because the battle system is fairly action based, and the game has a ton of personality in its dialogue and characters. Not one of the better RPGs around, but worth a play.

Guest Queen Leelee

Yeah, I'd stay away from the XBox versions. Lost Chapters doesn't add much.

The story is filled with holes, and there's little building of any of the characters. Early on, you think the game isn't linear, but it really is with all the flaws. It's very short for an RPG. The battle system is fine, there's many different attacks and ways to build your hero... but, this becomes meaningless since magic gets ridiculously powerful as you build it up.

Since you don't like KOTOR, that's about it for XBox RPG's.

Nobody seems to think Jade Empire is "okay." Either it's great or terrible.

I'd be glad to also hear very specifically how the gameplay works for any recommended titles, or if it's not a recommended one, the issues at work.

I'd figured that xbox 1 RPGs would be pretty slim, but that's okay. I don't really need a game in that genre anyway right now.

You could get The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, which I believe came out on the XBox. It has a terrible battle system (but so does Chrono Trigger and you liked that :P), but it's one of the deepest RPGs of all time with a massive world to explore and adventure through. I can't say how it would play on a console, as it was designed as a PC game, it's totally worth playing regardless.

Any comment on that title from some one who isn't WWM?

WWM: What titles would you vote to avoid, just so I know--barring the obvious like Chicago Enforcer, Drake, Tao Feng, etc.

I'd avoid Call of Duty or any other "run and gun" FPS, but that's just because I'm a PC FPS player who can't stand the poor aim and reaction time that the controller provides. Dead or Alive Ultimate isn't very good, but I'm sure you know that (It's DOA1 and 2 with some added content that I couldn't quite put my finger on). My XBox 1 experience is limited to games that came out on the PC or PS2, and DOA Ultimate which I owned for about 2 days, so it's pretty much all been covered.

it's not backwards compatible.

Indeed it isn't. WWM fails at reading comprehension.

In theory, if it does hit the BC list, is it even worth bothering with considering Oblivion is on 360?

Guest Smues
it's not backwards compatible.

Indeed it isn't. WWM fails at reading comprehension.

In theory, if it does hit the BC list, is it even worth bothering with considering Oblivion is on 360?

Yes. Oblivion is by far the superior game, but Morrowind is still awesome in its hugeness, and it's more of a challenge what with magic not recharging automatically. Plus it can be had dirt cheap.

Guest Queen Leelee
Nobody seems to think Jade Empire is "okay." Either it's great or terrible.

I'd say that's mostly because the story in the first half of the game is very confusing. Then when it gets going, you don't want to fight anymore since it's so simple and tedious. While the battle system while deep, it's broken in this game. And the game is so easy that none of it matters anyway. 90% of the enemies, hit A a few times, and you're winner. Also, the loading times really suck for this game. Even burned to my HD, loading times were 15 seconds long. I don't want to imagine how bad that would be with a Thomson drive.

Morrowind's magic system made the Fighter + Autonarch (sp) birthsign overpowered.

Anyways, Morrowind's loading time alone makes it irksome on Xbox.

Oblivion is Morrowind done right.

Big shock--merged thread, no response to that topic.

Anyway, I rented Gears of War and Oblivion.

Gears is...good, but naturally it isn't going to be one of my faves because of the genre. Terrific production values, graphics, sound, tight controls, your squad AI is actually good, and if squad-based shooters were a genre I enjoyed I'd probably be in gaming nirvana right about now.

So, nice game, probably will buy it if I don't finish before I return it.

Oblivion, on the other hand, is boring (so far). Granted, I just got out of the dungeon and I know that's not fair to judge it on. However, what the hell do I do now? Just go on with the main quest? Other ideas? Feel free to let me know.

Guest Smues

Do whatever you feel like. Join a guild. Go to any town and find some quests. There's so much shit to do in Oblivion, It was a long time before I ever even started the main quest. I'd say joining one of the guilds is a good idea, as that'll give you some direction and quests to do. When I started Oblivion I went with the mages guild. Magic is teh roxxorz1!!

Do whatever you like.

Go cross the moat and find a dungeon to explore. Get some swag.

I dunno what you class is.

If you're a thief, find the Gray Fox and go back into the sewer and start sneaking up into people's basements and stealing all their stuff.

Go hunt deer. If you know anything about alchemy you can mix venison with a certain common mushroom for a healing potion...

(I could go on.)

(and on)

I can't speak for Oblivion, but having Morrowind on the PC proves I'm just unable to play those type of game period. Once I found out how many pointless stats there are in the game (there's a stat for speechcraft for crying out loud!) and how slow certain stats level up that I just gave up on the game. I tried to level my character up so he'd at least be able do fight a peasant without almost dying, but I get bored before anything really happen and just give up. There's better games out there that don't require me to play ten hours a day just to get some satisfaction out of it. I'm better off finding some friends and trying to learn some pen and paper RPG instead of playing this. At least I'm socializing with real people then.