TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tony manero

I'm Not Feeling Survivor Series

I wonder which Survivor Series has the worst buyrate, and how this one will do compared to it.

This is the first Survivor Series that I can remember not being even interested in at least one match.

Guest Ransome
I wonder which Survivor Series has the worst buyrate, and how this one will do compared to it.

Comparing PPV buyrates over the years can be deceptive, but here's the list from http://www.100megsfree4.com/wiawrestling/p...f/wwfppvbr.htm:

1987: 7.0

1988: 2.8

1989: 3.3

1990: 3.0

1991: 2.2

1992: 1.4

1993: 0.82

1994: 0.9

1995: 0.57

1996: 0.58

1997: 0.89

1998: 1.3

1999: 1.14

2000: 1.0

2001: 1.13

2002: 0.86

2003: 0.73

2004: 0.81

Guest Ransome
Unfortunately i can't see Angle winning the title as according to WWE.com's match lineup the SD VS Raw match is going to main event. I just can't forsee them having a title change if it isn't the main event.

If anything, I'd say this means theres more chance of an Angle victory, particularly if it's via 'screwjob' (Daivari interference). If you look at all the times a heel won the world title on a pay-per-view in the early 90s, they were almost always midcard matches, probably so that they could send the crowd home happy at the end of the night. JBL winning the title from Eddie at GAB 2004 (while Undertaker vs Dudley Boyz mainevented) is the most recent example.

I just had the bright idea that the way they write out Batista of the SS match is have him get run over in the parking garage a la Austin at SS, given that its even the same arena and everything.

Then they could pull a Bash at the Beach thing were Team SD comes out only 4 strong, and then towards the end Taker comes out but only to eliminate Orton who is on Team SD..and then on SD he comes out and claims no loyalty to either RAW or Smackdown, he just wants to settle it with Orton.

I was thinking, who will the crowd cheer for?

On the Raw shows, the crowd cheers Team Raw and on Smackdown the opposite happens.

I think, according to how the WWE treats its shows, Team Raw will get more of the face pop.

I think the faces and heels on each side would dictate... and I think lately that JBL/Orton is above Carlito/Masters but HBK/Kane/Big Show tower over Batista/Rey, even with Kane/Big Show's recent actions. HBK cancels all of that out.

Still, Teddy Long is a face so it might get his group cheered a little more unless Batista is written out and Taker shows up as the fifth man. If that happens then Smackdown will definitely get the loudest pop, but might not be the favorites.

I was thinking, who will the crowd cheer for?

On the Raw shows, the crowd cheers Team Raw and on Smackdown the opposite happens.

I think, according to how the WWE treats its shows, Team Raw will get more of the face pop.

No Team Smackdown! is being treated as the Face here. Kane and Big Show took out Batista who is very much over on RAW as well. So they were Heels when they took him out. Masters and Carlito were on SD! all the time and they are Heels. At the ending of Smackdown! the crowd cheered Orton and JBL. Also Teddy Long is a Face and Bischoff a clear Heel.

Guest New Jake
What I would like to see though is the match narrowed down to Batista/JBL and Micheals/Kane. Carlito can be taken down by Lashley first hand. Second to fall should be Lashley himself after he works over Masters and HBK but gets eliminated by Kane after he and Big show hit that double chokeslam as I suggested. Then Master can eat a pin from Mysterio after a 619 then Mysterio can be Eliminated by HBK, Kane or Big Show later on. After that Big Show must be Eliminated by Randy Orton after taking a spine buster, a clothesliene from hell and an RKO(note that Cowby Bob won't be at ringside because Randy told him before hand in an interview to stay out of it unless needed). Then later Orton can be on the virge of eliminating HBK with an RKO while the ref is fending off a brawl, then suddonly the lights go out, the gong goes, thunder strikes blah blah. When the lights go back on Orton is still standing in the ring with HBK laid out but the fans point to the stage. Undertaker has Bob Orton on his kneed and he's a bloody mess. He pummels Bob Orton on the entrance way untill chokeslamming him off the stage while Randy watches helplessly leaving him wide open to a sweet chin music from HBK then getting elimintated(Batista in the meantine can get layed out by Kane on the outside with a steel chair while the ref is fending off JBL). When it's finally narrowed down to Batista/JBL vs Kane/HBK. Kane can get eliminated after taking sweet chin music and a Batista bomb. After he gets pinned by Batista, Kane can go balistic and chokeslam Batista threw the spannish anouncers table before getting pulled off by officials and other Smackdown jobbers, probably getting a few of themselfs chokeslammed. Then later when Batista holds his own well against HBK, he tags in JBL. But when JBL hits the ropes and dodges HBK, BOOM, he hits Batista with the clothesline from hell laying out the smackdown leader. JBL then nails HBK and books it up the entrance indicating he's made a jump to RAW. A sweet chin music later, HBK pins Batista, RAW wins and JBL appears the next night to gloat about his screwjob.

I can dream.

Comparing PPV buyrates over the years can be deceptive, but here's the list from http://www.100megsfree4.com/wiawrestling/p...f/wwfppvbr.htm:

More people have PPV capability than they did in 1987, so the buyrate is misleading. Its just the perecentage of people who order the show compared to PPV capability. For example, if only 10 people had PPV capability, and 1 guy orders the show, you get a 10 buyrate. If 1000 have PPV capability, and 10 guys order the show, you get a 1, even though 9 more people ordered the show.

Analyzing TV ratings the same way is also bad because Neilsen share is based on the same principle (share of the audience instead of the actual number of people).

Good ol' Diesel & HBK. Can always count on them for crappy buyrates.

I just got totally no-sold.

(Although, his analysis is probably correct since the number of people with PPV capability probably didn't change a whole lot between 1994 and 1995 & 1996 and 1997).

I just got totally no-sold.

(Although, his analysis is probably correct since the number of people with PPV capability probably didn't change a whole lot between 1994 and 1995 & 1996 and 1997).

The way it usually works is that the further you go back, the buyrates were higher than they would be in comparison to today because of the smaller universe. IE. A 0.56 in 1995 would be worse than a 0.56 in 2005, since today it would represent more buys. So really, those buyrates drawn by Diesel & HBK are even worse than they look.

The audience wouldn't have changed that much then anyways, like you said. The big changes occur around 1992-1993. Anything before that shouldn't be used, because the numbers just aren't reliable.

Guest JoeJoe
Good ol' Diesel & HBK.  Can always count on them for crappy buyrates.

OR.....another a way to look at it:

SS '95 being a Bret Hart mainevent. SS '96 being Bret Hart's big return.

:)

I'd think a big jump in number of PPV capable homes would've occurred between 1996-2000 when cable and satellite companies starting making PPV capability is standard feature on digital packages (thus shrinking the buyrate figures).

I was wanting to have my friend and I start dueling "Let's go Raw" "Let's go SmackDown" chants but he wasn't up for it. I said one of us should cheer one, then the other the opposite, but all he said was "or we both cheer one and hope someone else picks up the opposite". After some discussion during Raw, we also concluded Raw were the heels even though HBK was their captain and JBL is the captain (if Batista is out of the match) for SmackDown. On paper, it has the potential to create an interesting heel/face dichotomy, but often that sort of ambiguity results in confused reactions / silence. We shall see.

I'd think a big jump in number of PPV capable homes would've occurred between 1996-2000 when cable and satellite companies starting making PPV capability is standard feature on digital packages (thus shrinking the buyrate figures).

Okay, you probably know more about that than I do, but still that should result in the 1995-1996 buyrates being higher than those after it, which they aren't. They're substantially lower.

BTW I AM feeling this PPV. Dunno, I guess I'm still sort of a mark but I can't wait for the Elimination match. Angle/Cena will be a good match as well, and the chance of Angle winning the belt here is there. Flair/HHH will be another good match, I loved their Steel Cage match. Booker/Benoit, mwah, decent match. The GM match hopefully is short and I actually think Melina/Trish will be a nice little women's match. They could have made the card better but think about it, Eddie Guerrero passed away, Edge is injured and Batista is injured. If Eddie didn't pass away, the card would have had Taker/Orton as well which would have made the card look better.

I can't help but get a little excited for Survivor Series. I'm buying the PPV, but I wish there was one more Elimination match on the card. They could have bumped the GM and womans match to get the midcarder/Heat/Velocity wrestlers in a match.

Last years SS had the birth of Christians new entrance/hoodie combo and him taking the move of the year for 2004- Shelton Benjamins slingshot reverse suplex.

I'm placing it in high doubt that anything this year is as cool as those two things.

Okay, you probably know more about that than I do, but still that should result in the 1995-1996 buyrates being higher than those after it, which they aren't. They're substantially lower.

Logically, audience share should go down over time as the size of the total PPV capable audience goes up, but the dip you pointed out cannot be explained away like that since the numbers for all the surrounding years had much higher numbers.

In short, your premise that HBK and Deisle didn't draw is correct.

I decided to order.

Where's Edge on tonight's show? I know he got 'kicked off' of Raw after Taboo Tuesday a few weeks back, but I thought that was just a ploy when Raw invaded Smackdown a few days later while Edge watched on. I'd love to see another elimination match, but a Benjamin-Edge match wouldn't be bad either.

I figure MNM vs. Mexicools will be on Heat.