TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Fartsauce

NHL Thread

Here's what will happen with this trade, because this is what happens with every fucking Boston sports trade:

1. Popular player leaves Boston.

2. Boston laments the loss of popular player, team will never be the same.

3. Team does okay without popular player.

4. Boston celebrates and declares it never even liked that shitty player anyway.

Outline fits the Red Sox & Pats perfectly . But not the B's or the Celtics. The Sox fans are the worst at writing really revisionist histories, though, and remembering only the bad. (Clemens was a quitter and a traitor. Pedro was selfish. Nomar was a locker room cancer.) The only people that I can think of that got really slammed from the Patriots were Law & Milloy. I can't think of someone that went from beloved to hated once they left either the Bruins or Celtics, though.

And, Czech, please don't hesitate to call me out on it if I EVER start to pretend that I wasn't a Thornton fan or if I ever pretend that I was in favor of this trade.

Who's next to join Nomar, Drew, Lawyer, and Joe on the Island Of Betrayed New England Athletes? I'm guessing Paul Pierce and Kevin Millar.

Change "Drew" to "Pedro" and "Joe" to "Ty" and I agree with your Island theory. Drew is a punchline for his lack of mobility, but no one that I know of pretends that he wasn't uber popular. The fact that he was classy on his way out (took out full page ads in the major papers, thanking the fans) helped him out. And only the people in the media that drink the Bruins kool-aid say that Joe was that bad.

(Pierce & Millar aren't that popular already, they shouldn't count as people that might be turned on. People have wanted Millar out of town all year, and most Celtics fans I know would be pleased to see Pierce get traded for a guy that wants to be here.)

I definitely advocate the Pierce trading.

I definitely want Millar far far away(he never really did much of anything besides be a utility 1B/OF cheerleader.

Minor-ish move today, as the Flames pick up Kristian Huselius from Florida for Steve Montador and Dustin Johner.

I like this one. Keenan killed Huselius' confidence in Florida, and if Sutter can get it back up again, we'll have a darned good set-up man on the left side.

I don't understand why Calgary is getting rid of Commadore and Montador because they might not be the best defencemen on the team, but a definite solid 2nd or 3rd line d-man.

Ovechkin's the best rookie, but he doesn't have much team around him and he won't be noticed as much as a rookie on a playoff contender would be down the stretch.

As much as Sidney Crosby and Ovechkin chalks up points, and eat up the high-light reel, Phaneuf has been flying under the radar. Leading the defencemen in rookie points with 14 points, a plus 1 in a hard division, and probably one of the most solid blue liners to start a career for a long long time.

I think Ovechkin is the most complete player of the 3, but I can't deny that Phaneuf looks like he's going to have a great career and be a top 3 defenseman for years to come.

Anyone read or watched that Quebec wanted to start their own team to compete internationally.

Just think about the talent in the goaltending department.

That would be a pretty good roster too.

Anyone else heard that Bertuzzi wants shipped out of Vancouver?

Anyone read or watched that Quebec wanted to start their own team to compete internationally.

Just think about the talent in the goaltending department.

They drew up "what if" teams for Quebec and the rest of Canada in today's Sun. Quebec would NEED all that goaltending with how crappy their defense would be. When Matthew Dandenault can make your national team, you know you have serious problems.

I don't understand why Calgary is getting rid of Commadore and Montador because they might not be the best defencemen on the team, but a definite solid 2nd or 3rd line d-man.

Montador didn't have a place here anymore. He was our number-8 defenceman, and with Richie Regehr and Mark Giordano waiting in the wings, there was no point in letting him sit there and not play.

As much as Sidney Crosby and Ovechkin chalks up points, and eat up the high-light reel, Phaneuf has been flying under the radar. Leading the defencemen in rookie points with 14 points, a plus 1 in a hard division, and probably one of the most solid blue liners to start a career for a long long time.

Seabrook has comparible stats and a better plus minus while playing for the shitty hawks.

True, plus he registered another point tonight.

I'm pretty positive that almost all of Montreals defenceman will be nominated for that team.

Seabrook has comparible stats and a better plus minus while playing for the shitty hawks.

Stats aren't everything. Seabrook is an offensive defenceman, while Phaneuf isn't. Phaneuf is better defensively, is a better checker and has the intimidation factor.

In addition, plus/minus is a useless stat to quote. It doesn't reflect anything whatsoever.

How can Henrik Lundquist not be in the rookie of the year running? 2nd in save % and 2nd in GAA in the NHL.

Totally agree. He's the best rookie in the NHL and one of the top 3 goaltenders. Hopefully playing in New York will be enough to get him some recognition this season.

Sean Avery is a whining, cowardly little shit.

That just needed to be said.

I know this and hate him for it but in that game he didn't do anything wrong, because there wasn't too much wrong with the Hasek thing besides Dominik leaving his crease, and McGrattan didn't give him much of a chance to do anything. Even if McGrattan did, is Avery supposed to fight someone that is extremely larger than him? Chara did worse than what Avery did by shoving the stick into Gleason's chest and punching him in the face before Gleason could get the gloves off.

Also, Jim Foxx's rant on Bryan Murray was pretty funny.

Chara was just reacting to Kelly getting forced into a mismatch against Cowan and getting pummelled as a result. You can't let stuff like that go by.

Avery needs to get his ass handed to him one of these times. His mouth is constantly writing cheques his ass can't cash. It was fantastic seeing him get pounded by three Sens after deciding to take a shot at Hasek. Too bad Emery wasn't in there -- he probably would've kicked the shit out of Avery himself.

Cowan's been a good boy all season. It's about time that he actually got involved in a scrap instead of trying to be a skill player. Bryan Murray's getting the fine for it, and Chara's likely to get suspended for a game.

See, I'm all for someone actually dropping the gloves and going with him like Fisher did, but what McGrattan did was inexcusable. Avery didn't say anything to him at all, and he just jumped him. Avery may have dropped the gloves and taken his asskicking if McGrattan would have given him the chance, but I don't think he wants to wind up in a wheelchair at the end of the night.

Sean Avery: 5'9, 185 pounds

Brian McGrattan: 6'5, 238 pounds

Hardly fair.

Andy Murray doesn't dress enforcers or condone the fighting, so Avery's playing on a short leash after being told that if he fights, he doesn't play. He's a good third line player, but he's gotta learn to shut up.

Cowan's been a good boy all season. It's about time that he actually got involved in a scrap instead of trying to be a skill player. Bryan Murray's getting the fine for it, and Chara's likely to get suspended for a game.

See, I'm all for someone actually dropping the gloves and going with him like Fisher did, but what McGrattan did was inexcusable. Avery didn't say anything to him at all, and he just jumped him. Avery may have dropped the gloves and taken his asskicking if McGrattan would have given him the chance, but I don't think he wants to wind up in a wheelchair at the end of the night.

Sean Avery: 5'9, 185 pounds

Brian McGrattan: 6'5, 238 pounds

Hardly fair.

Andy Murray doesn't dress enforcers or condone the fighting, so Avery's playing on a short leash after being told that if he fights, he doesn't play. He's a good third line player, but he's gotta learn to shut up.

I was at the game and Avery straight up punched Hasek in the face knocking his helmet off, he deserved to get his ass handed to him by McGratton. You don't take a shot at a goalie and get away with it. Plus Avery instigated the entire game and his mouth got Neil ejected. So if you're surprised that he was a target then you don't know hockey.

Fun as hell game to watch live though.

Hasek should have stayed in his crease. It's not like he wanted to share cooking tips with him, he was going to hit him with the blocker. I understand that McGrattan's job is to do such things to other players, but he can at least give someone a chance to drop the gloves. Neil deserved to be ejected for that hit on Brown, no one can defend what he did.

I like Ottawa as a team, and I respect them. I also realize that the Kings should have scored more than one goal and didn't. If it wasn't for Avery, this team would have zero life because as of this point they are just going through the motions. Telling someone that watches every Kings game this

So if you're surprised that he was a target then you don't know hockey.

is obviously incorrect. Avery's been a target all season and when Hordichuk pounced on him and pounded him, he deserved it. He knew Darcy was coming and turned his back to him. What McGrattan did was a little different.

I respect Gleason for taking his asskicking from Chara and I respect Kelly from taking his asskicking from Cowan. That's how it's supposed to be done. I've never respected Hasek and I knew that this game was going to be rough from the get go. If you really have something to say to someone or if you want to hit him, don't hide behind your mask.

Hasek should have stayed in his crease. It's not like he wanted to share cooking tips with him, he was going to hit him with the blocker. I understand that McGrattan's job is to do such things to other players, but he can at least give someone a chance to drop the gloves. Neil deserved to be ejected for that hit on Brown, no one can defend what he did.

I like Ottawa as a team, and I respect them. I also realize that the Kings should have scored more than one goal and didn't. If it wasn't for Avery, this team would have zero life because as of this point they are just going through the motions. Telling someone that watches every Kings game this

So if you're surprised that he was a target then you don't know hockey.

is obviously incorrect. Avery's been a target all season and when Hordichuk pounced on him and pounded him, he deserved it. He knew Darcy was coming and turned his back to him. What McGrattan did was a little different.

I respect Gleason for taking his asskicking from Chara and I respect Kelly from taking his asskicking from Cowan. That's how it's supposed to be done. I've never respected Hasek and I knew that this game was going to be rough from the get go. If you really have something to say to someone or if you want to hit him, don't hide behind your mask.

Yes, Neil's hit was bad but Avery's trash talk made the situation worse. Don't know if camera's showed it or not but Avery was mouthing off and Neil had to be restrained before he got sent out.

McGratton didn't want to fight fairly, his goal was to send a message. His job was done. Avery should've been ready, anyone could've seen that coming. And Hasek coming out is no excuse to punch him in the face. You want him to back off you shove him, you don't punch him in the face. And if you do punch him, you better expect payback.

Although Conroy's skate meeting Hasek's face was scarier.

Edited by TheOriginalOrangeGoblin

Yes, Neil's hit was bad but Avery's trash talk made the situation worse. Don't know if camera's showed it or not but Avery was mouthing off and Neil had to be restrained before he got sent out.

Camera's didn't show it, but I knew that was the case. Darcy Tucker or Kirk Maltby probably would have done the same thing. As I stated, he's a good player that needs to just shut his mouth.

McGratton didn't want to fight fairly, his goal was to send a message. His job was done. Avery should've been ready, anyone could've seen that coming. And Hase coming out is no excuse to punch him in the face. You want him to back off you shove him, you don't punch him in the face. And if you do punch him, you better expect payback.

First of all, we are talking about Sean Avery, correct? The guy is stupider than shit and I wouldn't even expect him to know what was coming. Besides, Avery swung and missed Hasek, then he barely grazed him and knocked his mask off before being pounded on by 3 guys. What McGrattan did was payback, but he could have let Avery turn around so that he could give him a shot to the face instead of cross checking him in the back of the head. The game wouldn't have gotten so chippy towards the end if he would have called Avery out, and then with Avery saying no, drop the gloves and get him in the face a few times. In Nashville when Avery knew Hordichuk was coming, he turtled and got pounded on. The game was much, much more smoothly played afterwards.

Although Conroy's skate meeting Hasek's face was scarier.

Heatley crosschecked Conroy to the ice and his skate happened to fly up. It was almost Malarchukish.

Stats aren't everything. Seabrook is an offensive defenceman, while Phaneuf isn't. Phaneuf is better defensively, is a better checker and has the intimidation factor.

In addition, plus/minus is a useless stat to quote. It doesn't reflect anything whatsoever.

Lets compare stats not including tonights games:

Phaneuf - 27GP 5G 9A 14PTS 4 PPG 77Shots

Seabrook 24GP 3G 10A 13PTS 0PPG 37Shots

Okay, first of all, you can't say a defenseman who gets ample powerplay time and has 77 shots is not an offensive defenseman.

Lets look at their past two minor league seasons:

Phaneuf:

62GP 19G 24A 43PTS

55GP 24G 32A 56PTS

Seabrook:

61GP 12G 29A 41PTS

66GP 12G 42A 54PTS

Phaneuf seems like an offensive player to me.

As for the plus minus comparison. It does have meaning. It acknowledges Seabrooks play since he is a plus 7 (top on the hawks) while the team average is in the minus. Phaneuf has the fifth best rating for Defensemen on his team. While plus minus is mainly a team stat, it is a very telling stat.