TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The Rose Bowl Thread

Let's put it this way, USC ties it with 1 more undefeated season and national title (not counting if they win this one).

And by this point, OU isn't preserving anything. They are just the school that did it and it has no tie to the current program.

Edited by Kingofthe909

Let's put it this way, USC ties it with 1 more undefeated season and national title (not counting if they win this one).

And by this point, OU isn't preserving anything. They are just the school that did it and it has no tie to the current program.

Yeah but all that success is bound to catch up with them. I mean I know they'll have an awesome team but don't discount a young QB as a liability. Without Leinart's cool head I think they will lose something. Although they'll probably still win the Pac 10.....I mean who else in that conference is going to do it?

The tie is that it's OU football tradition. Just because the current program didn't achieve some of the feats that OU did doesn't mean that they aren't tradition for the school or fans to be proud of.

What's awesome is that OU had a huge like 32 game winning streak. Lost to Kentucky. Then they won some. Lost one. Then went on the 47 game winning streak. So their record over that time was astounding.

That's something USC can reproduce. Because with the way they're reloading I don't see how they couldn't go on another huge streak after this one ends. End up something like 65-2 over several years. Then again it's caught up with programs like OU and Miami so it's bound to catch up with USC.

Oregon's emerging as the team that will beat USC next season and Matt Sanchez is coming from the same type of high school career as Leinart. He's more physically gifted and he has a great mind for the game. If they played well next year with him as the starter it would not surprise me.

Oregon's emerging as the team that will beat USC next season and Matt Sanchez is coming from the same type of high school career as Leinart. He's more physically gifted and he has a great mind for the game. If they played well next year with him as the starter it would not surprise me.

Yeah but he's still a redshirt freshman. I mean look at Rhett Bomar. Granted he doesn't have as good of a team around him as USC(hey OU lost a TON) but he was the #1 HS QB recruit in the country and had an awesome HS career. I mean Bomar was supposed to have a better mind for the game and be more physically gifted than Jason White.

It's the same from HS to college as it is from college to NFL(ok not quite the same but you get my point).

This kid could come in and be awesome or he could come in and be forced into an adjustment period.

The big tests for him would be on the road, and looking at the schedule, who do they play on the road? Washington State, UCLA and Arkansas?

Well hey I won't be suprised if the kid comes in and lights it up but I think they have more potential to stumble next season despite being loaded.

So it wouldn't shock me if the kid came in there and screwed up and had to adjust.

Like I said look at OU and Miami. Both are supposed to always be loaded but the kids need adjustment and it was definitely proven by OU this season.

Damn my confidence in Texas is starting to shake. I need to quit talking to all these USC fans. You guys are poisoning my mind. If I keep talking to you guys by game time I'll be predicting a USC squash.

I had more confidence in Texas being a huge challenge to USC before they played Ohio State and before USC played Arkansas. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I had more confidence in Texas being a huge challenge to USC before they played Ohio State and before USC played Arkansas. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

But Arkansas sucks.......I thought USC was expected to roll them. And wasn't tOSU favored over Texas?

I certainly didn't favor Ohio State and the way that USC tossed around Arkansas and Oregon to an extent like school children shocked me.

You guys are poisoning my mind. If I keep talking to you guys by game time I'll be predicting a USC squash.

hypnosis.gif

USC will beat Texas... USC will beat Texas... USC will beat Texas... USC will beat Texas...

John David Booty is the likely starter next season for USC. So USC isn't going to have to us a totally inexperienced starter.

Given it's school's history of ending long winning streaks, it would seem fitting that Notre Dame goes into the Coliseum and stops USC's streak at 45 games.

That thing is giving me a headache.

I still think Texas will win but vehemently defending them is leaving me b/c it's a useless argument really. We'll know at game time.

Once again if Texas gets blown out I won't be upset that Texas lost. I'll just be upset that USC won again.

John David Booty is the likely starter next season for USC. So USC isn't going to have to us a totally inexperienced starter.

Given it's school's history of ending long winning streaks, it would seem fitting that Notre Dame goes into the Coliseum and stops USC's streak at 45 games.

Anything that stops them short of reaching OU.

I hate Booty.

Also, USC's defense will be similar to the one they had last season so this could be less than likely.

Notre Dame probably has a good chance at beating them next year. I really hope that doesn't happen because Notre Dame will probably be ranked in the top 3 or so in the pre-season polls and if they are undefeated at that point then they will end up at #1 or 2 (depending on what Texas is doing probably) and then the overhype machine will just become intolerable.

If Notre Dame started the season ranked 25th and beat a few good teams on the way to being 9-0 with 6 teams also being undefeated and higher, they would jump all of them and become #1.

I actually agree with the ND thing. There really won't be anyone in the Pac Ten that will be able to challenge SC next year, (big change right?), but with the way that Charlie Weis is rebuilding that Irish program, and with the history they have, I think they can take down the Trojans next year.

If USC does beat the Irish at home next year, the streak will probably still be going into next year's title game. Texas is a really good team and all, but I just don't think there's anyone in CFB this year that can do anything against this year's Trojan team. The offense is just unstoppable. Honestly, that's the best offensive line since at least the Nebraska dynasty. They give the backs about 4 or 5 yards before they even have to hit anyone, and Leinart never gets touched for about 5 or 6 seconds. Then, when you add on the fastest runner in the country, (Bush), tremendous receivers, and a former Heisman winner at QB, I just don't see how anyone can beat them.

That UCLA game was the first time all year that they actually bothered to pull out the 'A' game for 4 quarters, and they scored 66 points against a team that was 9-1 going in. Oregon, ASU, and ND all saw for it a half, and it was devastating, but UCLA's the first team to really feel the full force of the Trojan beatdown. If they bring that against Texas, there's no way the Longhorns hold them under 40 points. I don't doubt that VY and the Horns will be able to run up points as well, but Carroll will be able to scheme well enough to at least slow them down. Despite the terrible performance against Fresno, the Trojan defense does have quite a bit of talent, especially in the secondary. They'll get a stop here, a big pick there, and it will be just enough to keep Texas from keeping pace.

Here's a few final thoughts to remember about USC.

1. The last time they were in this situation (big game against an "equally talented" opponent; a month to prepare), they scored 38 points in the first half, and were up 48-10 at the end of the third quarter.

2. This year, the offense is better.

3. This year, they're playing at home.

Honestly, there's no way in hell Texas can keep pace. I know I posted a final score earlier, but it was a little off, and a better one came to me:

USC 44

Texas 31

Texas is better than probably 4 or 5 of the last 10 national champions, and they're going to try to make a game out of it, but this USC team's just special. I really can't imagine that they'd lose a game with this much preparation.

Edited by iggymcfly

Texas is great team but they havent faced a back like Bush or even Lendale Whites caliber all season. AD barely played in the OU game and no one else on their schedule has top quality running backs. They did show they can handle good receivers against OSU but Troy Smith was about half the QB Leinart is. Defensively SC will have some trouble stopping Vince Young but playing in the best offensive conference should help the Trojan D adjust easily to the speed of the rest of Texas' offense. UCLA, Oregon, and Cal all have amazing offenses and Pete Carroll smashed them. Now he gets a month to gameplan and get everyone healthy.

So you think I'm an anomally as an OU fan? I just walked into class and everyone is rooting for Texas.

It was a "I hate Texas but damn I want them to win really badly" type rooting though.

There's just no explaining that state.

If I were an OU fan (which I am, kind of) the last thing I want are Texas fans hanging their championship over my head. I remember you saying something about the "yeah well history is on our side though!" but look how that argument didn't really work out for the Yankees after Boston got one.

It'll look like this

OU fan: "We have more titles than you!"

UT fan: "Yeah but we won more recently than you, so up yours"

OU fan: "..."

So? We know that historically we're still better than them. They were bound to get another one.

Besides it worked after the Cotton Bowl. It was like:

Texas: We won! HAHAHA!

OU: You were bound to get one after 5 straight losses.

Texas: Yeah well...umm...we lead the series.

*both fans cry*

My hatred for USC so encompasses my dislike for Texas that I have to root for Texas.

Most OU fans hate USC because of the Orange Bowl beating. I gave them props after that. I didn't really start just hating them until this past summer with all the hype.

But I still give it up to them. They are probably the greatest college fb team ever. Even if they lose the Rose Bowl.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the modern Sooner fan has been beating Texas so badly over the last four or five years that they don't really feel threatened byt them, even after the loss this year. Therefore, they're transferring all their rage onto the USC team that started them into this descent last year.

I can actually kind of sympathize as I grew up in Missoula, and Montana had beaten Montana State 12 years in a row. Then, when our 14-0 team got raped in the I-AA Championship by Marshall (with Randy Moss and Chad Pennington, talk about unfair), we really hated them more than any team in the country. If we could have gotten Marshall to come to Missoula back then, it would have meant more than every other game for the rest of the year combined.

But I still give it up to them. They are probably the greatest college fb team ever. Even if they lose the Rose Bowl.

1993-1996 Nebraska says hello. They lost a total of 3 games over those 4 years (one of which was a bowl game to Florida State for the championship), won 2 national championships, and the 1995 team is easily the best in the history of modern college football. Seriously, that team would spank USC and Texas all over the field.

EDIT: Not sure why I stopped at 1996. The 1997 team went undefeated and won a dubious share of the national championship. Which means over 5 seasons, Nebraska lost 3 games, had 3 undefeated seasons, won 2 and 1/2 national championships, and won its bowl game 4 times.

Edited by Hogan Made Wrestling

1993-1996 Nebraska says hello. They lost a total of 3 games over those 4 years (one of which was a bowl game to Florida State for the championship), won 2 national championships, and the 1995 team is easily the best in the history of modern college football. Seriously, that team would spank USC and Texas all over the field.

Oh I'm not going to get into that. I'll leave that to you guys. USC and Nebraska both have an argument obviously.

Also I guess that OU team from the 50's has an argument too. I mean they won like 33 straight. Lost to Kentucky and then won 47 straight. And they didn't lose a Big 8 game for like 4 years. But that was a different era or something. At least that's what people who want to dismiss it as nothing like to say(mainly the Texas and USC fans i've spoken to before).

I have no problem with Dama pulling for Texas to win. Many people root for teams in their conference to win because it makes their team look better. If Texas goes in and gets smashed how does that look for the Big 12? Terrible and it makes Oklahoma look even worse.

I have no problem with Dama pulling for Texas to win. Many people root for teams in their conference to win because it makes their team look better. If Texas goes in and gets smashed how does that look for the Big 12? Terrible and it makes Oklahoma look even worse.

Plus my OU homerism leads me to believe that this was just a one year thing and we'll smash Texas again next year and be back to business as usual. And it looks really good to smash the defending national champions.