TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The Rose Bowl Thread

Well, that's one less distraction for USC. Bush won't have anyone with a microphone or tape recorder asking him if he's turning pro wherever he goes.

As much as I'd like to see him at USC for one more season, this looks like the right decision for him.

You guys all have a special after-Christmas gift coming your way next week:

I, Spicy McHaggis, 5th Year Junior at the University of Southern California, will present my analysis of the 2006 Rose Bowl.

Don't be afraid to admit it... I know you can't wait.

I await your "non-partial" review.

This game is so close and I think I'm going to die. As with most big games when it gets closer my mind goes crazy and I begin to doubt my pick. I think it's a defensive mechanism in my brain that doubts my pick so if they lose I go "Eh....I figured."

I like ESPN's comparison today between 1994 Penn State and USC.

It's a really good, fair comparison since neither team won the national championship.

Honestly, though, all this talk from everybody about how USC's the best team of all time has me really leery of them, especially given the fact that there defense is below average at best. I'm starting to think Texas could take this one down.

1995 was the only national title Osborne deserved. The sympathy title in '94 and the going-away-present title in '97 were jokes and deprived PSU of a shared title and Michigan of a full title.

Guest Leelee

I agree that '94 should have been a shared title... even though PSU was probably the better team, they both had fairly weak schedules.

'97... well, that's a tough one. If you're one of the 99% of people out there who thinks USC is currently #1, then you're a hypocrite if you don't think Nebraska deserved at least a split national title.

Lou Holtz went off on Rece Davis and Mark May the other night asking if he's allowed to talk about any other team besides USC and started accusing them of giving the Longhorns no respect.

And then Davis said that a national sportscaster(didn't say where) actually FORGOT who USC was playing!

Leena brings up a good point ... what would ESPN do if the team that was facing USC was one of their golden boys, such as Notre Dame? How would they manage to verbally felate both teams simultaneously without offending them both?

Guest Leelee

ESPN would side with the "underdog" of those golden teams, then. Which happened to be Notre Dame for their matchup, this year.

No. There are too many teams with "alternate" black jerseys now.

Goddamn I wish it was Jan. 4 already. The hype is unavoidable. I go to USCPN.com this morning to get the NBA scores from last night and there is a story on Norm Chow's successors and how great a job they're doing this season. I guess Leinart, Bush, White, Jarrett, etc. have nothing to do with it...

I hope Texas wins now just so all the guys on the USC hype machine will commit suicide.

Guest Leelee

I agree that's there too many black alternate jerseys... but, Texas' burnt orange has always been ugly. Do anything to replace it.

The 1997 Nebraska title is really the only one that was a joke, because they actually DID lose that game to Missouri but the officials blew that bizarro world TD play.

You know what cost Penn St. in 1994? A couple of close games to the uninspired likes of Illinois and Indiana. They dicked around and let IU back in that game and won by about 4 points. I mean yeah they should have gotten a share of the title still, but they did some things that put it in the hands of voters.

The Miracle at Michigan hurt them as well, as Colorado still had some first place votes I believe when Nebraska beat them.

The IU game result was because Joe pulled all of the starters at halftime and IU put up some garbage points on the backups. Illinois and IU actually had winning records that year, so it wasn't like they dicked around with 3-8 or 2-9 teams. That Illinois team actually was the one with Simeon Rice, IIRC.

Weren't both teams undefeated that year? So what's the argument? Michigan was more impressive?

Penn State beat Michigan, who lost to Colorado thanks to the hail mary pass, who in turn lost to Nebraska later in the year. Kind of a common opponent thing. Still doesn't change my opinion that PSU deserved a share of the national title that year.

Guest Leelee

1997 was the year of the lucky bounce off the foot catch win for Nebraska over Missouri. Plus, Nebraska barely beat Colorado that year, while Michigan blew them out. Michigan would be more impressive.

But, there's a lot of hypocrites on this... because if you consistently use the prior criteria, then you shouldn't say USC is #1 now, either. USC had the bogus win over Notre Dame... like Nebraska over Missouri. USC gets the benefit of the doubt because they were a powerhouse for a few years before that... much like Nebraska did.

That's kind of a flawed comparison. The 1997 Michigan team didn't have any really close games that could have gone either way, while Nebraska almost lost to a really mediocre Missouri team.

Texas and USC each played one elite team this year. If Matt Leinart hadn't got a boost into the end zone, USC might have lost to ND, but if Josh Huston had made that 50 yard field goal for Ohio State, then Texas would have picked up a loss as well. USC played a tougher schedule throughout the balance of the year, so I think it's fair to have them at #1 going into the bowl games, regardless of past history.

I actually had them ranked #2 the week after the Fresno State game, but after they beat a 10-2 UCLA team 66-19, I figured they deserved the top spot.

Wow, I haven't realized until now that the game is in less than 48 hours.

And Texas is figuring out a way to not cover Bush as we speak just to piss me off! It's the sports gods. I offended them by watching a fake sport for too many years.

Wow, I haven't realized until now that the game is really close to happening. I'm starting to lean towards Texas winning. Just a feeling...

I'm giving them more and more of a chance as the game approaches, but I'm not doing what I did last year when a similar classic Big XII juggernaut (insane blowouts like against Baylor, etc.) of a team was facing USC and calling it a pick 'em, running quarterback be damned. I'm about 60% sure of my USC pick, and won't give Texas any more of a chance than the remaining 40%.