TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vitamin X

EA Sports - NFL Head Coach 2006

Guest Vitamin X

Kind of surprised there hasn't been a topic about this yet....

http://www.easports.com/article.jsp?dcr=sports&id=nflhc

Comes out around Spring 2006, probably around the NFL Draft. I'm kind of excited to see this, since I'm more into football for strategy and building a team and all that. This could turn out to be really fun or really lacking. Seeing who's developing it though, makes me doubt it'll be the former though..

Guest Leelee
But really, who would buy that trash?

The many people, like me, who prefer simming seasons and running teams that way.

I'm not too positive about this, though... for a sim game like this, everything has to be realistic, and no silly bugs... or, it pretty much ruins the game. My hopes aren't high on EA, for this. Plus, they're making a big deal how it's the first 3D sports strategy game. Translation: Lots of unnecessary pretty graphics, taking away from game play.

But, I'll give it a chance. Smart move by EA to make a game like this.

I've got mixed feelings on this. The concept is great and I love it, but my confidence in EA producing a good game out of the gates is really shaky, especially with the focus being the graphics. Note to EA: For the last time, game mechanics, dammit.

Anyway I'll have to keep an eye on this.

Guest Leelee

I'll certainly obtain this game. If it has a better franchise/season mode than Madden, than it's already worth it.

Meh... I enjoy the concept of simming, but the execution is never fun in any sports game, 2K, EA, basketball, football, baseball... none.

As for Madden, it was decent. but I traded it in toward Mario Kart DS. NFL2K5 is more fun, and I didn't playMadden online enough to warrant keeping it.

Meh, semi makes sense with the popularity of the Tycoon-type games.

Having said that, and I do love running franchises and the like in sports games, I'd still rather be able to play 16 game of football. The franchise mode is the icing, not the cake.

Guest Princess Leena

A big positive for me:

Teams in this game can be transferred to Madden 2007.

For football games, I much prefer sim/coach mode, so I'm very excited for this game. I'll probably be disappointed, but whatever.

The game is out June 20th. Less than 2 weeks.

I am a big simmer too because I suck at actually playing the game.

But it isn't coming out for 360. Unless the Xbox game works for the 360, I can't play it. :(

Guest StylesMark

I may rent this...but with Madden out in August, I doubt I'll buy it.

The PC demo of this is available now at the usual places. The sysreqs aren't high if you want to give it a look.

Minimum System Requirements (for final game)

CPU: PIII or AMD Athlon 1.2 GHZ

RAM: 256MB

Video: 64MB supported Direct3D capable video card with DirectX 9.0c

Hard Drive: 2 GB or more free space

Input: Keyboard and / or mouse

Guest Vitamin X

I'd probably get obsessed with this game, so I have to pick it up soon.

I will say this, the beginning of the mode is INCREDIBLY tedious, with you sitting on your ass in your office half of the time, doing little to nothing of note. It picks up during re-signing phase, and even then it's quite tedious. The fun begins around draft-time, and then again in camp. I decided to take the Houston job, and the very first personnel move I made was giving Carr his one way ticket outta town. Also signed David Givens to a contract. Drafted Matt Leinart with my first pick.

Guest Princess Leena

Got this today. Please let this game be good.

I want to be a dictator coach, and beat my players. Respect will be taken.

Guest Princess Leena

I'm loving this game. It's very involved. It certainly has its flaws... while I do like the reality of time management system, but it's a bit too restrictive. The interface could use some work, and there's a few nasty bugs during gameplay that's inexcusable.

I'd be surprised if this series lasts long, however. Unless you're a serious franchise type, it's gonna bore you to death. It even bores me horribly at times.

Guest Vitamin X

That would be a shame, considering this game's not out for the 360.

I agree with Leena. The game is not without its flaws, and it can get VERY involved. I have way too many office hours.

The instruction manual is awful too, for such an involved game, and it slows down for some reason HORRIBLY at times when I'm looking through my players' contracts. I'm having a pretty fun time with it, though.

I took the obvious team (Packers for those who don't know me), and I completely revamped the offensive line. Also pulled off some pretty spectacular trading around in the draft to somehow land A.J. Hawk, Jay Cutler, AND Reggie Bush. (I also took Nick Mangold, Jeremy Bloom, and Maurice Drew in the midrounds). Did this by trading away a good portion of the o-line and signing Kyle Turley and Ross Verba through free agency to replace Mark Tauscher and Chad Clifton. My offense needs a hell of a lot of time to click though, I've got Favre, Jon Ritchie, and Reggie Bush in the backfield (with Samkon Gado coming in as a third down back), Rod Gardner, Peerless Price, and Robert Ferguson as my starting WR's, and Bubba at TE. I got Bloom and Drew returning kicks, and on defense I was able to make a trade for Kendrell Bell. Was looking at getting a better corner to start opposite Al Harris, but I did so much work to that offense and the draft that I had no more tradeable players I wanted to get rid of.

Anyone got some tips and/or tricks for motivating players? Seems like it can be awfully random at times. Reggie Bush is a whiny bitch, that guy can never take to aggressive motivation unless he's playing horribly in a game.

Oh, one thing that REALLY sucks about this game: It might be impossible to achieve any of the damn goals. I've only played one preseason game, but the quarters were set to 5 minutes each, and that's nowhere near enough time to get noticeable yards in the league. Anyone know how to fix that and/or if there's a difficulty setting for the game?

I'm still learning the motivation stuff, but I notice it helps to compliment the player after a great play, and usually unless they are SUCKING ass, I just don't say shit motivational wise, when they're not doing well.

Oh and I was able to get a normal sized yardage vs the Packers in my first preseason game (Yep, I'm the Chargers).

Guest Princess Leena

I still haven't played a game yet in my career. When you take the time to do everything, this game can take forever. I like it. :)

I'm picking this up within an hour... can't wait to take over the Vikings.

Well you can't do any worse the Ziggy and Childress are doing right now.