TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
devo

Arcade Style Baseball?

So, I've played various baseball sims and enjoyed them for a short while, but always grow tired of them after a couple of weeks. I've never finished a season in any halfway-realistic baseball game. Then I come across Mario Superstar Baseball, which, while extremely fun, would be a lot better if it featured actual people and more than one field that wasn't insanely annoying.

What I'm saying is, I'm looking for an Arcade Style Baseball game. I don't think there's been anything released in America recently along these lines, but I've heard that Arcade Style Baseball is all the rage in Japan. Luckily, I've got a Japanese PS2, so I can import something...but I have no idea what to look for. Can anyone recommend a game or series that's particularly good?

The MLB Slugfest series is pretty much the way to go. You can bean guys in certain body parts to effect their stats (i.e. in the foot to slow them down), punch players to make them drop the ball, use turbo to round the bases faster, etc.

Guest Evolution

Don't know if you're looking for PS2 exclusive stuff, but if you can get your hands on an SNES emulator and Super Baseball Simulator 1.000, that's super fun.

There's something funny about the best Arcade baseball game being Super Baseball Simulator 1.000.

Dusty Diamond's All Star Softball (NES) is very good if you're willing to travel the emulator route. Today, Slugfest is probably the only thing on the market. Sega's got exclusivity starting next season, so there's no other way to get a game with real players.

Wasn't there a Mutant League baseball style game, except with robots? Did anyone ever play that?

If you're talking about Super Baseball 2020 for the Genesis (that's the only thing that springs to mind), yes, and I loved it. But the team that was virtually all robots was so much stronger than the other ones that it became pretty tedious to play. Your choices were basically to always win as the robot team or always lose as another one.

if we go really old school there's RBI Baseball

I would be remiss if I didn't recommend Baseball Stars. Its satisfying to create your own team and dominating, as time consuming as it can be.

I know someone that got Super Baseball 2020 arcade as part of a lot of other machine. We played it not knowing what it was and had some fun with it.