TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Brian

Fighter of the Year

Guest Brian

Just based on records, doing this sans numbers on Japan (which I used via Maltz for Chuck):

Fighter of the Year – Statistical Discussion

Matt Hughes (2-0)

Def. Frank Trigg at UFC 52 Top Ten Fighter

Def. Joe Rigg at UFC 56

Accomplishments

Held UFC welterweight Title for calendar year

Notes

FOTYC vs. Trigg

Georges St. Pierre (4-0)

Def. Dave Strasser at TKO 19

Def. Jason Miller at UFC 52

Def. Frank Trigg at UFC 54 Top Ten Fighter

Def. Sean Sherk at UFC 56 Top Ten Fighter

Rich Franklin (3-0)

Def. Ken Shamrock at Ultimate Fighter Finale (Fought at 205)

Def. Evan Tanner at UFC 53 Top Ten Fighter

Def. Nathan Quarry at UFC 56

Accomplishments

Won UFC Middleweight Championship vs. Evan Tanner

Notes

Won all fights in dominant fashion

Chuck Liddell (2-0)

Def. Randy Couture at UFC 52 (4/16/05) Top Ten Fighter

Def. Jeremy Horn at UFC 54

Accomplishments

Won UFC Light-Heavyweight Championship vs. Randy Couture

Notes

Major Draw at UFC events (Refer to Observer Observations)

Andrei Arlovski (3-0)

Def. Tim Sylvia at UFC 51 Top Ten Fighter

Def. Justin Eilers at UFC 53

Def. Paul Buentello at UFC 55 Top Ten Fighter

Accomplishments

Won UFC Heavyweight Championship vs. Tim Sylvia

Takanori Gomi (4-0)

Def. Luis Azeredo at Bushido 7 Top Ten Fighter

Def. Jean Silva at Bushido 8

Def. Tatsuya Kawajiri at Bushido 9 Top Ten Fighter

Def. Luis Azeredo at Bushido 9 Top Ten Fighter

Hayato Sakurai (4-0)

Def. Milton Vieira at Bushido 7

Def. Shinya Aoki at Shooto “Alive Road”

Def. Jens Pulver at Bushido 9 Top Ten Fighter

Def. Joachim Hansen at Bushido 9 Top Ten Fighter

Notes

FOTYC vs. Joachem Hansen

Dan Henderson (2-1)

Loss to Antonio Rogerio Noguiera at PRIDE Total Elimination 2005

Def. Ryo Chonan

Def. Akhiro Gono

Mauricio Rua (5-0)

Def. Hiromitsu Kanehara at PRIDE 29

Def. Quinton Jackson at PRIDE Total Elimination 2005 Top Ten Fighter

Def. Antonio Rogerio Noguiera at PRIDE Critical Countdown Top Ten Fighter

Def. Alistair Overeem at PRIDE Final Conflict 2005

Def. Ricardo Arona at PRIDE Final Conflict 2005 Top Ten Fighter

Accomplishments

Won PRIDE Middleweight Tournament

Notes

FOTYC vs. Noguiera

Fedor Emelianiko (2-0)

Def. Tsuyoshi Kohsaka

Def. Mirko Filopovic at PRIDE Final Conflict 2005 Top Ten Fighter

Accomplishments

Held PRIDE Heavyweight Championship for calendar year

Notes

FOTYC vs. Mirko Filopovic

Gilbert Melendez (2-0)

Def. Naoya Uemetsu

Def. Rumina Sato at Shooto “Alive Road” Top Ten Fighter

Accomplishments

Won Shooto

Edited by Brian

It really sucks that Liddell will probably pick up Fighter of the Year in a lot of circles (I'm looking at a poll on TheFightNetwork site that has him at 60% in the voting), considering he only fought twice. Listen to the LAW in the next few weeks and you'll probably hear me on the line bitching about it (these are the same people who had Randy Couture as their 2004 Fighter of the Year).

Whoever wins in Gomi vs. Sakurai has a legit claim of being #2 Fighter of the Year.

GSP deserves a look at, given the way he beat Trigg and Sherk, and his performance against Miller. Has there been anyone as dominant as GSP has been this year? Ok, Arlovski. Against the same quality of opponents, though?

Out of curiosity, what is the standard used for ranking the previously listed fighters as "Top Ten" or not? It must be hilarious.

Well, considering it had Azeredo as a top ten and not Kawajiri, it was probably MMAWeekly's :P

Even if Sakurai loses, he's still probably the comeback fighter of the year. I thought he was finished, but he's looked great since dropping weight. I couldn't believe it when Crosley subbed him last year.

Guest Brian

No consideration, I was just sorting through things real quick and knew I had missed a few. Likewise, I probably forgot a few FOTYC.

Edited by Brian

No consideration, I was just sorting through things real quick and knew I had missed a few. Likewise, I probably forgot a few FOTYC.

YOU MUST DIE!!!!/just kidding. I thought you might have lifted the lists from a site or something.

Guest Amy Ace

For FOTY I'd have to go with Fedor for sheer dominance. Followed closly by Shogun, and then Liddell. Then AA, Franklin, and Hughes. Just my humble rankings, tho.

Guest Amy Ace
I loves me some Pitbull but I'll be first in line to challenge whether or not he's done anything worthy of being considered for FOTY.

I understand what you're saying. He really hasn't had many difficult match-ups, but I put him in the group because he did have a very succesful year with 3 pretty dominating wins, and winning the title.

Edited by Amy Ace

- Fedor's going to go 3-0 this year, but with only 1 win really meaning something (Filipovic). Uh-uh.

- Andrei's resume looks slightly more balanced (though Mirko is more proven than anyone on his resume), but he's dominating good fighters in a rather mediocre division. I mean, Buentello and Eilers are good for what they are, but the fact that either has ever approached the Top 10 speaks volumes of the state of the division.

- Franklin's resume looks similar to Andrei's, with a dominant win over a mid-Top 10 level guy (Tanner), a KO over a borderline guy (Quarry) and Shamrock thrown in for hilarity. Decent ledger, but nothing mind blowing.

- Hughes only has two wins this year: one over Trigg (who St. Pierre utterly bitched months later), and one over Riggs, who is still highly unproven at WW.

As for MY candidates:

Mauricio "Shogun" Rua

- Managed to defeat 2 Top 10 caliber LHW's , one former and one current Top 5 LHW's (Jackson & Arona, respectively), and Kanehara to boot, stopping all but one of them.

Georges St. Pierre

- Easily defeated the also-ran Strasser, then completely dominated the Top 5 Trigg in one of the most one sided fights you'll ever see between guys of their caliber, and then took out former #2 guy Sean Sherk in similar fashion as well.

Takanori Gomi

- Started off shaky, looking vulnerable against Azaredo and lackluster against Silva, but then managed to defeat PFP fighter and #1 LW Tatsuya Kawjairi in decisive fashion, and added another win over Azaredo. Though only the Kawajiri win really sticks out, a win over the rejuvinated Sakurai (now currently viewed as Top 5) would add a bit of luster to his ledger.

Hayato Sakurai

- Started off by a little shaky with a JD over the game Viera, then moved back up to WW temporarily to defeat the underrated Aoki, and then managed to defeat the criminally undersized Pulver & proven Hansen. Like Gomi, only one win really sticks out (Hansen), but if he manages to defeat Gomi, now widely recognized as the best LW in the world, his claim to the FOTY title grows immensely.

I think undeniably Shogun Rua has had the best year. Beating tough competition.

The next person to mention is GSP. He's been running a tear through anybody who is willing to face him. Although I'd say his opponents, while very talented, not the same level as Shogun's opponents.

Now to add a certain different dimension to the arguement I'd say Joachim Hansen has been the most entertaining fighter this year with a a surprizing amount of FOTYCs... win or lose.