TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Showcase

Mega Man X Collection

I went to order this at Tower Records' site with my gift card, and got this message:

You must be 18 years of age or older to purchase video games rated Mature, Adult, Not Rated or have Rating Pending. To continue to purchase these items, please confirm that you are 18 years or older. If you are under 18 years of age, these items will be removed from your order.

The following item contains mature content and can only be purchased by someone 18+ years of age:

Mega Man X Collection

-----------------------------

Now obviously, I am over 18, but since when are MM games rated M?

Aero: You didn't notice you only had 7 heart tanks?

Zero had to have been some sort of colossal accident by Wily. He couldn't have intentionally created something that competent. He probably was trying to make a cooking/dishwashing robot and ended up with him.

Dr. Light most assuredly had to have been bat**** insane. He must have probably spend his last 10 years designing, developing, and hiding those various armor pieces for X. Yet, he never found time to father a child. Probably he was sterile or something.

Dr. Cain is such a colossal screwup. He could barely wait to make knockoffs of X and have them put into production before even knowing the hell he was working with. Apparently he had thousands of reploids rolling out within months of discovering X. It takes years just to get a new pill with tons of side effects to market--how the hell did he do it?

Aero: You didn't notice you only had 7 heart tanks?

Apparently not. I must have seen that my life exceeds the weapon energy bar and figured I was done or something.

One thing I noticed from X. In the opening stage, after Zero saves you from Vile, X starts talking about "I'm not ready yet... blah blah blah". Is it just me, or did they add in "Damn!" as the first word he says? I definitely remember him saying it in X3 at the very end, but not in X.

Well, the timeline skips way ahead beginning with X5. X5 starts out with the galaxy being at peace after "centuries of the Reploid war."

So Cain likely is dead, natural or otherwise, unless he had his noodle stuck in a reploid shell and ran off to a tropical island with some hookerbots and his phat Reploid subsidies.

I went to the local EB and was told they were sold out of the PS2 version and had one lone copy for the Cube. Though I do love Nintendo, I just wasn't up to owning the Cube version of this game so I left. I walked down a few stores and went into Zellers (The CanCon Wal-Mart) and purchased the game. Buying games from department stores feels very weird... getting the clerks attention, having them unlock the cabinet for you, etc. It later dawned on me that of all the games I own (since game specific stores opened in this area in the late the late 90s), this is actually the second game I've purchased from a Zellers/Wal-Mart type deal... the only other one being the first Mega Man collection. It all comes full circle.

I finally got it. X1 is such an awesome game. My favorite platformer of all time.

I like how Zero "scouts ahead" and is gone for the WHOLE GAME. Wow thanks for that intel Zero!

oh and as for the controller being difficult to use for dash jumps and firing I switch my finger placement depending on what I do. The best way is thumb can hit square and X at the same time while index is for dash. Years of playing Tekken has allowed me to use the buttons with two fingers comfortably.

He tripped and fell over, and couldn't get up because of his HUGE FRIGGIN HEAD!

I was tempted to get the Cube version, but I guess it was the PS1 controller being used with X4 and X5 that got me.

That being said, I kind of think it should have worked out well with the cube controller (which is just so damn perfect with PoP Two Thrones), but that itty bitty d-pad would be not quite up to cutting it, IMO.

Too bad those SNES-ish controllers for GC aren't available without special ordering.

Just for the sake of being complete, it would have been nice if they offered two versions of X3, but it doesn't really matter.

I just played a bit of all 6 as it has been awhile (and I never played 6 at all). Is there a point to being a non-armoured X in X5? Also, I have to admit that while X5 seems to be the one everyone hates the most, I give it points for the fact you can start with upgrades as opposed to them just vanishing. X1 even states those upgrades were necessary to make X complete, so why the hell does he ditch them before X2?

I don't understand how anyone can hate X5 the most when X6 is there.

The ability to switch between Zero/X depending on the level at your choosing is nice, too.

Aside from the upgrades...why does X lose all the gained weapons? Never really explained in MM series or X series.

Well with weapons you can come to your own conclusions...

1. They're not good enough for the new batch of robot masters (the typical way of new powers being gained while old ones are forgotten).

2. They take up memory and because they require power-ups to be restored are not worth keeping after peace is restored (because good guys are generally dumb and don't consider that they'll need those powers again).

Outside of the whole "good is dumb" thing, I don't see why X would ever get rid of the enhancements from X1 (again, they were supposed to complete his design). But really, it's just a game.

In regards to X4, with people mentioning that voice acting is gone, are they refering to the in-level cutscenes? I misunderstood people's whining and thought that through some error the animated scenes had no talking anymore but I was quite happy to see the horrible English voice acting Capcom was good for in the 90s. As bad as the Reploid general sounds (is he supposed to be French?), noting tops Dr. Light ("Dr. Wiwy") from MM8.

Gone in X4? No idea where you got that from.

However, the Extremely Dull Japanese Guys doing voiceovers from X6 is gone.

Capcom flat out lied and didn't give us the redone cutscenes with dubbing. Nooo...they're apparently going to do that for the PSP enhancements of the X games. In fact, pretty much all the extras that were supposed to be on the MMXC were pulled to use as a selling point for the PSP games.

It's worse than when they made the Rockman Complete Works for PS1.

I thought I read something about there being a rumour of a new dub (as you mentioned) but unless I am remembering wrong, I read a post on GameFaqs that not only was there no re-dub, but no dub at all. Maybe I misunderstood something or remembered wrong, or maybe 90% of posters on that site are idiots. Or maybe all of the above.

Capcom's ACTUAL SITE says "remixed soundtracks," which is a really huge stretch based on what we actually got.

There's X3 which is just the "remixed" x3 from SNES, and some unlockable remixed content. That's it.

As for differences--pulled this stuff from another MB:

MMX, MMX2

-No more slowdown that was present in SNES versions.

-Music coming-in/cutting off a second or two differently...probably a DVD media issue.

-Save feature.

MMX3, MMX4, MMX5, MMX6

-Disc loading improvements. (i.e less loading)

Mega Man X vs (SNES) Mega Man X

-It appears some of the text has changed slightly, ("damn" especially noticable).

-Different sound effect for scrolling text.

-Different sound effect for Sting Chameleon's disappear/reappear.

-No Hadoken sound effect when x does it.

Mega Man X2 vs (SNES) Mega Man X2

-Different sound effect for scrolling text.

Mega Man X3 vs (PS1) Mega Man X3

-Added extra anime FMVs and arranged soundtrack. (not really a change since it's based on the Japanese version of the game.)

The X3 intro music was changed and It does not have lyrics like the Jap version of the PSX X3 did.

Mega Man X6 vs (PS1) Mega Man X6

-Removal of Japanese voice acting.

Mega Man: Battle and Chase vs (PS1) Mega Man: Battle and Chase

I'm assuming Capcom used the European version of MM: B&C. Because this is VERY different from the Japanese version, mainly because they took out the announcers, commentary, and the character voices for cutscenes. (I'm sure gonna miss Rockman screaming "ROCKMAN BATTLE AND CHASE!" and Dr. Wily hitting him in the middle of the sentence, and finishing the phrase with his evil voice.) And Duo isnt a readily playable character in versus.

Thanks.

"promised by Capcom USA (and nixed by Capcom of Japan)"

Well that explains it.

"What we've been told is that Inafune wants to retool the X series up to Mega Man X6."

You can't shine ****, Keiji.

I like the music in X3.

I wish all these 2D games and remakes were not on PSP and DS. I hate playing games on a portable.

I like X3's music, but like the SNES regular versions better. That's probably due to being used to those tracks. However, I hated X2's for the most part. Nothing stand-out, at all.

Gamefly is taking an excruciatingly long time shipping this game out, but hopefully I'll be able to play this soon. I haven't played any of the entries after MMX3, so I'm looking forward to catching up.

So, am I the only person who didn't know that the Boomerang Cutter can be used to cut off Launch Octopus' tentacles *and* Flame Mammoth's trunk?

It's easy to fall into the one weapon-one boss trap when most of the games are like that.

While of course the best of the games (MMX and MM2) make the weapons more versatile and useful.

And I didn't learn about the rawksomeness of the 'cutter until about 2000, actually.

Guest Tuxedo Mask

What I like about MMX1 is, again, much like MM2, multiple bosses can be defeated with the megabuster by learning their pattern, dodging, and shooting. Other games tend to have bosses kick your ass if you don't have the right weapon. I suppose technically it is possible for any robot master to fall the megabuster (or X-buster, I guess it would be called) but generally I'm not good enough to do it. I beat 3 with it in MMX, which is 2 more than most games that aren't MM2 (I think I can beat Topman and Shadow Man without weapons in MM3).

Mega Man Anniversary Collection for GBA is coming out!...

February 16th!!...

Stop laughing!

Apparently (somehow) the InsidePulse guys got a hands-on:

http://games.insidepulse.com/articles/45914

Yeah, like I trust InsidePulse that much, but I saw Mark Henry have a decent match last night, so I'm going to have a bit more faith in the impossible.

Guest InuYasha
Well with weapons you can come to your own conclusions...

1. They're not good enough for the new batch of robot masters (the typical way of new powers being gained while old ones are forgotten).

2. They take up memory and because they require power-ups to be restored are not worth keeping after peace is restored (because good guys are generally dumb and don't consider that they'll need those powers again).

Outside of the whole "good is dumb" thing, I don't see why X would ever get rid of the enhancements from X1 (again, they were supposed to complete his design). But really, it's just a game.

In regards to X4, with people mentioning that voice acting is gone, are they refering to the in-level cutscenes? I misunderstood people's whining and thought that through some error the animated scenes had no talking anymore but I was quite happy to see the horrible English voice acting Capcom was good for in the 90s. As bad as the Reploid general sounds (is he supposed to be French?), noting tops Dr. Light ("Dr. Wiwy") from MM8.

Here's one webcomic's opinion on that question...

015.gif

They use Soul Body from X4 in X5. Maybe the powers are kept and are just not used.

The drop off in quality from X4 to X5 is unbelievable. None of the levels, powers or boss fights in X5 are interesting. The Gaea armor sucks. The thing where bosses gain levels and get more HP is pointless. The translation makes no sense. They hyped up X and Zero fighting ever since X2 and it ended up being over a misunderstanding that barely even makes sense. The one cool thing about X5 is the Wily references. I hate how they basically came out and said Wily and Light are somehow "alive" and have not explained it furthor after 3 other games.

Fucking Tower Records shipped out my copy today, but they apparently sent the GameCube version rather than the PS2 version. I have the original MMAC for GameCube, but I was wanting to add another game to my small (3 games) PS2 collection.

I got my MMX Collection from Gamefly over the weekend. Right now, the word is "underwhelmed" - they couldn't even be bothered to put any flash into the title sequence or the game selection screen? Talk about bare bones.

Outside of the lack of service, the games are a little iffy for me, but I haven't played them enough to really get a good impression. Right now, I know that MMX and MMX2 are good (which I knew anyway, since they were the only ones that I had played) and that the anime openings for the other games that I played were really, really bad. I don't think I can really say "THE ZERO NIGHTMARE" with a straight face.

I was really annoyed by x6 last night. The CONSTANT one hit kill traps get old and I can't tell you enough how much I hate the dark version of the rain turtle stage. It's like every stage has something obnoxious in it. The worst was when I made it to Gate's stage as Shadow X but forgot to equip the jumper and hyper Dash. There's a wall jump near the end that is impossible without that specific combo of power ups. I had to die on purpose and restart the whole stage.

So what is the point of lives in the PSX era X games? In most MM games there are checkpoints where if you lose a life you return at that point but if you lose all your lives and continue you must start the entire level over. In X4-6 if you lose your lives and continue you just start at the latest checkpoint. In other words there's no difference between dying and losing a life and selecting continues. There is no reason to collect extra lives. The only point to running out of lives is allowing you to select continue or go back to stage select. They could have just had an option to return to the select screen in the weapon menu instead. It's like they put the lives system in and forgot to actually penalize you for losing them. I like the new system since I hate starting a level over but it just seems like a strange oversight.

Battle and Chase is one of the worst games I have ever played in my life. I have a VERY high tolerance for bad games but I will never finish this one. I couldn't even stand going through the entire second race.