TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SilverPhoenix

College Hoops: 1/2/2006 - 1/15/2006

First off let me wish you all a Happy New Year to my fellow College Basketball fans. May the next 12 months bring you happiness, success and 4 months of great College Basketball.

Alright now it's time for the new format for the College Hoops Thread, now that we're in Conference Play, and the most games will be played int he next 9 weeks.

- To start, there will be biweekly threads. If this thread goes over 300 replies (10 Pages) in one week. The weekly option may be explored.

- The Topic Description will have the Top 5 Matchups (as deemed by the thread starter) in this time period. I know some people may disagree with the matchups listed, but I tried to answer the question of, which games matter most towards the immediate and tournament future of the teams invovled.

- More dicussion about what's happening nationally is going to be encouraged. This doesn't mean that you can't pimp out your favorite or local teams, but lets see some moe people's thoughts on Conferences, Top Teams, Recruiting, and everything else in between.

- To contribute more to the thread myself. I will be putting a preview (to the best of my knowledge) of the Games of the week, on the day of the game, so that we can have more dicussion on the big matchups

- Anyone else is welcome to contribute, what they want to. All because I started the thread, doesn't mean I'm the dictator. I just like having a strong thread among the College Hoops Fans of this forum.

With that said. Let the Conference Season Begin.

I was a fool, and thought I could put all 5 Matchups on the Topic Discussion box, because it just let me. Thought see that it cuts out at a certain point. So I'm going to post the matchups here. Future Matchups will be in the opening post.

(4) Memphis Vs. (16) Texas - Monday 1/2/06 - ESPN

(3) Villanova Vs. (10) Louisville - Thursday - 1/5/06 - ESPN2

(9) Michigan State Vs. (6) Illinois - Thursday 1/5/06 - ESPN2

(1) Duke Vs. (16) Maryland - Wednesday 1/11/06 - ESPN

(7) Washington Vs. (11) UCLA - Saturday 1/15/06 - Regional TV.

Edit: I know Michigan State Vs. Indiana was up there, but I found the Illinois matchup, and for now, it may seem like a matchup with more on the line (for Illinois, escpecially) than the other one. I will do a preview for both though.

Looking back now, there are other matchups I plan to preview as well, but these are your games of the Thread. Stay tuned for more on these games.

All right, with this thread supposedly going for more of a national focus, and with certain people thinking my rankings don't deserve their own thread, I decided to just post them here.

NCAA Rankings for 01/02/06

(previous week's ranking in parenthesis)

1. Duke 12-0 (1)
  2. Connecticut 11-0 (2)
  3. Villanova 9-0 (3)
  4. Florida 12-0 (4)
  5. Memphis 11-1 (6)
  6. Illinois 14-0 (5)
  7. Washington 11-1 (7)
  8. Ohio State 10-0 (12)
  9. Gonzaga 10-3 (9)
  10. Michigan State 12-2 (11)
  11. Boston College 10-2 (15)
  12. NC State 11-1 (25)
  13. Maryland 10-2 (13)
  14. Pittsburgh 11-0 (NR)
  15. Louisville 11-1 (17)
  16. UCLA 11-2 (8)
  17. Indiana 8-2 (16)
  18. Tennessee 8-1 (18)
  19. Texas 10-2 (19)
  20. Oklahoma 8-2 (20)
  21. Kentucky 9-3 (22)
  22. Michigan 10-1 (24)
  23. Arizona 9-3 (NR)
  24. George Washington 8-1 (10)
  25. Wichita State 11-2 (NR)
Just off the list, but not under the radar: North Carolina, Arkansas, Air Force, Cincinnatti, Nevada

To add to the debate here. I have a few issues (mostly as to why) with your rankings Iggy. Lets go by team shall we?

- Ohio State is my biggest issue at number 8. I know they're undefeated, but that record comes aganist some dubios at best competition, with their best wins aganist St. Joes (better than there record), and LSU (not a bad team, but has teetered against real competition since West Virginia). Would I rank them? Yeah at like the 20 - 24 range, but not in the Top 10. If they want to make it near there. Lets see how they come up aganist Indiana this week.

- Pittsburgh's Momumental Leap into the Top 25....Okay, I didn't expect that. No, they didn't face every single scrub on the planet this year, I know that. But there competition doesn't scream a not scream Top 15 entry, IMO.

- UCLA Drops that far down? I don't see that, really, they've lost to one of the best teams in the Nation so far in Memphis, and while California is not a team they should be losing to talent wise, but with a Top 75 RPI, means that you really can't punish them too much for being upset, even if it was at home.

- George Washington's Drop....Right now I have nothing, since their OOC Strength of Schedule was absoultely garbage, but that just struck me as overly harsh.

Maybe I will start my own Power 16 for Next Week.

Ohio State's played a solid non-conference schedule this year. In addition to the wins over LSU and St. Joes, they also beat Virginia Tech and a very good Iowa State team on the road. If everyone keeps losing around them, I'm going to keep moving them up. I mean, do I really want a solid undefeated in Ohio State behind a 3-loss Gonzaga team? The Bulldogs have lost to some tough teams, but their wins aren't all that much better than OSU's.

Pittsburgh had looked impressive early in the year, (albeit against weak competition), so all the pieces were there if they could get a couple good wins. Then, this week, they actually got their two best wins of the year, not only beating Wisconsin, but beating South Carolina on the road as well. At this point, they just seem like more of a threat to win the Big East than Louisville, even if they don't have a Taquan Dean-type big name to carry them.

UCLA this week was the victim of a double whammy, as not only did they lose to Cal at home, but what looked like their best win of the year, (over Nevada), got downgraded as the Wolfpack lost to Santa Clara. I'd say losing to Cal is definitely worse than losing to Kentucky, so for now I put them down below Louisville.

And George Washington's previous high ranking was based solely on their win over Maryland, as that's pretty much all they had done this year. Well, now they lose to BC by 20+, and it becomes apparent that they're not quite on the same level as the ACC big boys after all. It's not worth dropping them out of the Top 25, but it's definitely enough to make me reconsider their position as one of the nation's elites.

The thing is that this early in the year, we're still working with limited information. So if a team takes a bad loss, it's not that we're punishing them for that one game, it's that that one game might be 1/3 of the relevant information we have to work with. Once conference play gets going in earnest, one loss will never drop a team 14 spots, but at this point of the season, it's important to be flexible.

Actually they lost to NC St. by 20.

I can't really argue on U of L's placement since even though we're 11-1 we've done jack shit this year to deserve any sort of top 10 ranking. But OSU in the top 10? What a joke. I know they are unbeaten so far, but let's get real here. They ain't shit. Once the Big 10 season starts they'll vye with Iowa for that #6 tourney spot.

Pitt is an underrated team thus far. While I don't think they can go much beyond the Sweet 16, they are always a steady and consistent team.

The coming weeks will tell the tale in the BE though. U of L gets Nova, Pitt, and UConn all at Freedom Hall from the 5th-21st. It's imperative to win 2 of those 3. If not, we're looking at multiple conf. losses with road games at UConn, Nova, Cincy, Cuse, and WVU left. In other words, we would be fucked.

Alright as promised...

Spotlight Game #1

(4)MemphisTigersHoopsRR.GIFMemphis Vs. (16)TexasLonghorns.GIFTexas

Time & Location: 2:30 at the Fed Ex Forum

Avalibility on Television: Nationally on ESPN

Conference Affiliations:

Memphis: Conference USA

Texas: Big XII

All Time Series Record (Most Recent Result): Texas Leads 3 - 1 (Texas Defeated Memphis on 1/06/2005 74 - 67)

Rosters

Memphis

5 Andre Allen G 5-10 190 So (1V)

12 Antonio Anderson G 6-6 190 Fr (HS)

10 Rodney Carney F 6-7 205 Sr (3V)

42 Kareem Cooper C 6-11 285 Fr (HS)

32 Joey Dorsey F 6-9 265 So (1V)

3 Chris Douglas-Roberts G 6-6 180 Fr (HS)

2 Robert Dozier F 6-10 205 Fr (HS)

5 Jeremy Hunt G 6-4 205 Sr (3V)

20 Travis Long G 5-8 135 Fr (HS)

11 Chance McGrady G 6-2 180 Fr (HS)

14 Simplice Njoya F 6-10 245 Sr (4V)

30 Jared Sandridge G 6-2 170 Jr (2V)

50 Almamy Thiero F 6-10 255 Sr (3V)

0 Clyde Wade G 6-0 185 Sr (3V)

35 Darius Washington Jr. G 6-2 195 So (1V)

4 Shawne Williams F 6-9 225 Fr (HS)

1 Waki Williams F 6-9 205 Sr (3V)

Texas

5 A.J. Abrams G 5-10 155 Fr (HS)

23 LaMarcus Aldridge F 6-10 237 So (1V)

32 Connor Atchley C 6-9 225 Fr (1V)

22 Brad Buckman F 6-8 235 Sr (3V)

3 Dion Dowell F 6-6 205 So (1V)

1 Daniel Gibson G 6-2 190 So (1V)

4 J.D. Lewis G 6-1 180 So (1V)

14 Ian Mooney G 6-3 225 Jr (2V)

12 Kenton Paulino G 6-1 185 Sr (3V)

2 P.J. Tucker F 6-5 225 Jr (2V)

40 Mike Williams F 6-7 230 So (1V)

30 Craig Winder G 6-2 190 Jr (2V)

]Game Writeup

In the season after the big conference realignment which left C-USA Basketball Decmiated, the spotlight has mostly fallen on Memphis to carry the Banner for that Leauge, and it has done extremely well in this siuation. With one of the toughest OOC Schedules in the nation, Memphis has only Lost once to become the Number 4 Team in the Nation. And as it heads to C-USA Play, it faces it's final major Test in Texas.

Texas started this season at Number 2, and was touted as one of the teams that could knock Duke off its perch on the Top, and as Texas kept winning and winning impressively, and Duke escaping with wins, it seemed that Texas was poised to take the Number 1 Spot from Duke. That is until the 31 point Blowout, and then another blowout loss to Tennessee that sent Texas Reeling down into the Top 20. Now with all of its players back from injuries, a healthy Texas seeks redemption as it heads into Big XII play. With the conference down, this game may mean more to Texas than one would think.

The question of the day are these.

Can Texas go into Memphis and play the type of game that made them beat West Virginia?

Is Memphis with its deep team ready to go the distance, and take down what would be a great victory to make their case for a 1 seed?

Memphis has already beaten UCLA and Gonzaga, I'd think those would get them a good seed over beating this ludicrously overhyped Texas bunch.

Good Seed, yes. That's already wrapped up if they don't fuck up

1 Seed? The fact that Texas is so overrated means that beating them will do more for that than losing. (In fact, losing would make it that much harder, because Texas isn't that good.)

Edited by DragonLordKaiba

Ouch, Memphis got so exposed in that one today. If there is one thing Texas has it is some size down low, and Memphis gets entirely too reliant on the 3. It almost reminded me of that game against U of L last year that was like 53-44, where Memphis shot about 19%.

Late in that game Memphis looked like a combo of a Pitino UK team that was having a bad, bad shooting day (I'm talking 1995 Elite 8 vs. UNC here)....combined with Cincy's late game execution under Huggins.

Can't say I'm sad though. I mean it's Memphis. Seeing them lose is always a pick me up.

So Texas does pull it off, I just had this feeling this would happen today. Not because Texas is that good (though they did show they aren't completely overrated), because Memphis was heading for a let-down, and it happened today. The telling tale of this game was the 3 Point Shots. Memphis took far too many, and didn't have enough of them drop in. You can't go 5 - 20something and on top of that shoot as horrbily as they did and expect to win.

In the other part of the Double Header on ESPN, Duke destroyed Bucknell 84 - 50. Duke continues on undefeated going into ACC Play. Bucknell's 3 losses all come in the Top 50, RPI, so Bucknell could still get into the tournament as an At-Large if it dominates the Patriot.

Hey, at least Duke squashed the semi jobber. Having watched UK this year it's easier to appreciate Duke maiming a sorta ok team. Duke would likely beat teams like Iona or Ohio by 30...UK staggers past them by 6-8.

Guest Leelee

That was a bad loss for Memphis... especially since Texas couldn't hit any shots in the 1st half. To be frank, Memphis just played like pussies. Loss really hurts them, also... and all the good wins they had (UCLA, Alabama, Gonzaga) aren't looking so great now. Even if they go undefeated in C-USA, I don't see them getting better than a 4 or 5 seed.

Actually they lost to NC St. by 20.

Oops, I knew that. That was actually the whole reason I moved NC State up so far this week; just wasn't paying attention to what I was typing.

I can't really argue on U of L's placement since even though we're 11-1 we've done jack shit this year to deserve any sort of top 10 ranking. But OSU in the top 10? What a joke. I know they are unbeaten so far, but let's get real here. They ain't shit. Once the Big 10 season starts they'll vye with Iowa for that #6 tourney spot.

Who would you put ahead of them that's actually deserving? In the AP poll, Michigan State gets the other Top Ten spot, but I don't think they've really redeemed themselves for that Hawaii loss, as they've only played one other road game all year. Also, their Gonzaga loss can't be all that easily dismissed, as the Bulldogs are looking to be far from Final Four material.

Ohio State may not end the year as one of the Top Ten teams, but for now, they've earned a spot more than anyone else, picking up solid wins at home and on the road. Also, I think you're selling them a little short saying they'll be battling for a tourney spot. I think the Buckeyes have Sweet 16 written all over them. They could even be that team that comes out of nowhere every year to make the Final Four as a 7 seed. They just have a lot more talent than people give them credit for.

Finally, on to Memphis. They really surprised me today. I thought they were a legitimate future 1 seed with enough talent to at least get to the Elite 8, kind of like St. Joseph's a couple years ago. Instead, it turns out their just one of the many upper-middle teams that can play with anyone on the right day, but isn't consistent enough to be a true powerhouse. Luckily for them, they play in C-USA, so their risk of being exposed during conference play is pretty damn low.

Edited by iggymcfly

Steve Novak went for like 41 in that game tonight, which has to be a career high. Just what the world needs, another heatless Marquette push from hell.

Hopefully Taquan Dean goes nuts for 40 against Nova on Thursday now. U of L can pave the way for Pitt to win the Big East!

Guest Leelee

ESPN has their Full Court thing for free until the 8th. And you can also watch most of the games they've shown before during the week, online. Such as UConn-Marquette.

Big Double-Header Tonight.

Spotlight Game #2

(3)VillanovaWildcats.GIFVillanova Vs. (9)LouisvilleCardinals7.GIFLouisville

Time & Location: 7:00 PM at Freedom Hall

Avalibility on Television: Nationally on ESPN 2

Conference Affiliations:

This is the opening Big East Game for both Teams.

Team Records (conference records)

Villanova 9 - 0 (0-0)

Louisville 11 - 1 (0-0)

Last 5 Games

Villanova

Tue, Dec 6 at Bucknell W 79-60

Sat, Dec 10 Longwood W 90-77

Tue, Dec 13 at Pennsylvania W 62-55

Thu, Dec 22 La Salle W 98-57

Sat, Dec 31 at Temple W 75-53

Louisville

Tue, Dec 20 Middle Tenn. St. W 76-68

Wed, Dec 21 Charleston W 78-63

Sat, Dec 24 Detroit W 56-48

Wed, Dec 28 Fair. Dickinson W 89-66

Sat, Dec 31 at Miami (FL) W 58-43

All Time Series Record (Most Recent Result): Louisville Leads 5- 3 (Louisville Defeated Villanova at the Second Round of the NCAA Tournament 68 - 64)

Rosters

Villanova

23 Dwayne Anderson G 6-6 215 Fr (HS)

44 Marcus Austin F 6-9 231 Sr (4V)

3 Bilal Benn G-F 6-5 205 Fr (HS)

21 Chris Charles F 7-0 222 Sr (4V)

35 Shane Clark F 6-7 195 Fr (HS)

4 Ross Condon G 5-11 185 Jr (2V)

33 Dante Cunningham F 6-9 220 Fr (HS)

22 Baker Dunleavy G 6-5 205 Jr (3V)

2 Randy Foye G 6-4 205 Sr (3V)

20 Jason Fraser F-C 6-9 225 Sr (3V)

1 Kyle Lowry G 6-1 175 So (1V)

12 Mike Nardi G 6-2 170 Jr (2V)

14 Allan Ray G 6-2 195 Sr (3V)

50 Will Sheridan F 6-8 238 Jr (2V)

34 Curtis Sumpter F 6-7 223 Sr (3V)

42 Frank Tchuisi F 6-9 210 Fr (HS)

Louisville

21 Chris Current G 6-4 185 Jr (2V)

5 Taquan Dean G 6-3 185 Sr (3V)

43 Terrance Farley C 6-10 250 So (1V)

12 Brad Gianiny G 6-1 170 Jr (2V)

23 Bryan Harvey G 6-4 210 Fr (HS)

30 Jonathan Huffman C 7-0 230 Fr (HS)

11 Brandon Jenkins G 6-3 185 Jr (2V)

44 Brian Johnson F 6-9 245 Fr (1V)

15 Perrin Johnson G-F 6-5 215 Jr (2V)

33 Andre McGee G 5-11 185 Fr (HS)

22 Chad Millard F 6-8 220 Fr (HS)

4 David Padgett F-C 6-11 250 So (2V)

3 Juan Palacios F 6-8 255 So (1V)

20 Will Scott G 6-3 190 So (1V)

1 Terrence Williams F 6-6 220 Fr (HS)

]Game Writeup

The Hype and speculation are finally over. For the past 2 years, everyone has been talking about how big and powerful the Big East was going to be with its new additions. The phrase "No Easy Nights" has taken a new meaning with Marquette beating the number 2 UConn, almost anyone at anytime can win in the Big East. However, tonight's game is different.

These two are highly ranked teams with Villanova at Number 3 and Louisville at number 9, with one loss between them. With two different teams. and two different teams in many ways.

- One team has senior leadership, the other is as young as hell.

- One team has has an elite OOC Schedule (by the numbers) with 48 the other is 141 spots below at 189

- One team has a 4 Guard Rotation that could destroy you. One team has a big men of the future.

- One team has looked spectacular. One Team has been questionable.

- One Team is undefeated. The other has been exposed in a bad way

Villanova Vs. Louisville is a game of contrasts, and a game that will tell us alot about these teams. Is Villanova THAT good. Is Louisville on its way to being a joke? The answers will be told in this game.

That game was a joke, Dragon. It's blatantly obvious this early that U of L is going to have to "pay the dues" as a newcomer in the Big East. Mainly that would entail getting NO calls from the refs, even at home. I mean Jesus Christ, Taquan Dean getting 4 fouls after 2:00 in the 2nd half? I know the final foul tally is probably pretty even, but Nova never had anyone notable in serious foul trouble. Nova hit a few key 3s, we missed several foul shots, but overall I was encouraged by the effort from U of L tonight. Given the lousy pre conf. schedule I thought Nova might run us by 25 tonight.

To be honest I wasn't real thrilled with Nova. Without the incredibly bogus fouls that took Dean totally out of it (a couple were legit, like the charge) U of L might have pulled that out.

Upcoming games now at Providence, then undefeated Pitt here, UConn here....man, I'm starting to miss C-USA! Where's Southern Miss when you need a jobber to squash?

Guest Leelee

Nova won 76-67. Wasn't too impressive, though. Especially since Dean was in foul trouble all night, and didn't score a point until it was too late. And UofL just isn't a Top 10 team this year. Terrence Williams could be a huge star in the future. And Padgett has great skills for a big white kid.

Nova relied far too much on the outside shot. In the 2nd half, it was mostly hoping Ray hits tough long 3-pointers... which he made when it mattered. I'd like to have seen Nova use their big talent advantage at guard more, with their speed.

And Lowry is easily my favorite player in the college game. I love how he always drives like a psycho, and doesn't give a damn what happens.

It's a little too late now, but I sure wish I'd bet on the Illini tonight. Michigan State's 1-1 away from East Lansing, and I knew they were gonna get beat down tonight. I guess down 7 at the half's not too bad, but Illinois's going to pull away, I know it.