Zygi Wilf fires Mike Tice

The Minnesota Vikings fired coach Mike Tice

after Sunday's victory over Chicago.

Owner Zygi Wilf announced he would not renew Tice's contract in

a statement less than an hour after the Vikings' 34-10 win over the

Bears in the regular season finale. Tice, who finished his fourth

full season with a 32-32 overall record, had already addressed the

media before the move was made public. The announcement came via

press release after most players had left the Metrodome.

"I don't know who was more shaken by it, him or me," Tice said

of what he called an emotional meeting with Wilf.

The timing of the move and the means by which it was delivered

stunned the few players still at the Dome.

"It's the owner's decision," said quarterback Brad Johnson, as

he left the stadium with his family. "It's a tough business, and I

appreciate Mike and the way he treated me and the way he treated

the team. I wish him greatness."

Tice's tenure was mostly marked by streaks and scandals, with a

$100,000 fine levied last summer against him by the league for

scalping his Super Bowl tickets, and a wild boat party during the

team's bye week this season that produced misdemeanor charges

against four players.

After starting 2-5, the Vikings won six straight before losing

two in a row to fall out of contention for the playoffs.

"After significant evaluation, we feel that now is the time to

make a coaching change," Wilf said in the statement.

The owner was gone when the statement was issued to media in the

locker room and he scheduled a news conference for Monday.

Pro Bowl kick returner Koren Robinson had to compose himself

before commenting, managing a "Whoa, that's crazy," while he read

the statement at his locker.

"In the locker room? Right after a game you just won?"

Robinson said. "Give the man respect enough to wait until Monday

to enjoy the win, at least."

Pro Bowl safety Darren Sharper crumpled up the release and threw

it on the floor before declining comment and running back Mewelde

Moore also tersely declined to comment.

Wilf said previously that Tice's job status would be discussed

at the team's headquarters on Monday, but shortly before 7 p.m.

CDT, the release was issued.

When asked about his mind-set after Minnesota's 34-10 victory

over the Bears, Tice said the situation weighed on him as he

contemplated 13 years with the organization. He progressed from a

tight end in 1992 to offensive line coach to head coach.

"Of course it did, I'm a human being, a man," Tice said.

"I've been here since '92 ... I've poured a lot of energy into

this program."

Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly

I don't really like MIke Tice as a coach that much but I figured that having a winning season this year wuld have saved his job. Then I remember all the bullshit that's happened on his watch and I become indifferent.

A reminder for Packer fans: As much as he may have sucked, he did do two things

1) Beat GB at Lambeau in the playoffs

2) Beat Brett Favre in (maybe) his last playoff game

I don't really like MIke Tice as a coach that much but I figured that having a winning season this year wuld have saved his job. Then I remember all the bullshit that's happened on his watch and I become indifferent.

Trying to think what happened on Tice's watch:

Wizzinator

Sex Cruise

Tice scalping tickets

Anything else?

Guest Vitamin X
A reminder for Packer fans: As much as he may have sucked, he did do two things

1) Beat GB at Lambeau in the playoffs

2) Beat Brett Favre in (maybe) his last playoff game

I'd love to see you guys get stuck with a Mike Martz or Mike Sherman now. Just any coach named Mike.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Eagles' Offensive Coordinator Brad Childress get the position. He's use to calling plays for a mobile QB that has less than average WR talent around him and before this season he was quite succesful doing so.

If Scott Linehan is willing to already leave the Dolphins then he's the first choice as he was the former O-Coordinator. If he wants to stay there though then Childress is my guess.

Guest Vitamin X

The problem in Minnehaha is that there are rumors abound that Culpepper also wants out. Then they're really fucked.

Trying to think what happened on Tice's watch:

Wizzinator

Sex Cruise

Tice scalping tickets

Anything else?

Losing a playoff spot in 2003 on two last-minute TDs to last place Arizona.

That was when I first called for his head.

The problem in Minnehaha is that there are rumors abound that Culpepper also wants out. Then they're really fucked.

They've proved they have the talent to get by without him. I'm not saying build the franchise around a 37 y/o QB, of course, but Daunte is more easily replacable than you seem to believe

Of course, that leaves me the question of what to do with my $150 authentic Culpepper jersey...

Guest Frank_Nabbit

Black Monday has struck in Green Bay.

FOXSports.com has learned that the Packers have fired head coach Mike Sherman. General Manager Ted Thompson informed his coach that the franchise was heading in another direction early this morning.

The move comes one day after the Packers took a 23-17 win over the Seattle Seahawks, albeit a Seahawks team that was resting for the playoff run. The win left the Packers with a 4-12 season, which ties for their worst record since the NFL went to a 16-game schedule in 1978.

Green Bay will move swiftly to begin interviewing candidates to replace him including Eagles offensive coordinator Brad Childress and former Packers' first-round pick and Giants defensive coordinator Tim Lewis.

In Sherman's six seasons as coach, in which he amassed a 57-39 record, he helped the Packers win three NFC North Division titles. He also won two of the six playoff games the team played in under his direction.

With injuries decimating the Packers this year, Sherman was never able to get his team out of the injury-bug rut. Despite the fact that Brett Favre was physically able to lead the troops, his surrounding cast looked terrible at times.

How this move affects Favre's decision is unknown. Does he wait around to see who the next coach is and if so, does he want to play in a new regime? At the same time, does playing for a new coach re-energize the future Hall Of Famer?

The team is expected to announce the move later today.

Rams hand pink slip to Martz

The worst kept secret in the NFL has come to fuition.

Sources have told FOXSports.com that Mike Martz has been told this morning that the Rams have fired him and the team has also asked permission to interview Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera for the head job. In addition to Rivera, the team is expected to make a strong run at Redskins defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.

Despite rumors that Williams will return to the Redskins, the coach is not tied to that scenario and is seeking a head gig whether in Washington one day or another city this year.

Martz was fired to cap a tumultuous year in which he had to take an extended leave of absence, leaving Joe Vitt to take his place.

Martz was a successful Super Bowl coach for St. Louis and had led "The Greatest Show on Turf" for a long successful run. However, his personal problems with the front office led to a ruined relationship for the future.

Anybody else think Mike Martz goes to KC? I mean, their problem is defense still but Martz with a healthy Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson along with Tony Gonzales and others...he'd be a kid in a candy store.

The problem with Martz is that he began to think he was smarter than he actually was, and earned the "mad scientist" tag for tinkering too much with the offense.

Nonetheless, the Lions are going to chase him hard.

Tice had this coming, in all honesty.

The Vikings have apparently hired Major Dad to replace Tice

So in the last decade we've had the Nutty Professor, Henry Rollins and now this

Thing with Tice is that he rarely ever won a must win game. The only time he did was the one playoff game against the Packers. Other then that there was the Arizona game (my favorite moment as I am a Cardinals fan) along with the Steelers and Raven games this year.

I am involved in the process of broadcasting Viking games and I felt he should have been gone last season. Even with the turn around they had this season I was afraid that they were going to keep him for another season.

The Vikings have apparently hired Major Dad to replace Tice

Gerald McRaney?

Looked more like a more insane David Crosby to me. Or Mean Gene with a longer stache.

Loved his boat reference. Nothing like saying your team will be like Vikings going ashore and burning things. Will they also rape the cheerleaders of the other team if they win?

Now thats some post game highlights I could watch! Give me Terry Bradshaw doing play-by-play and I would die laughing.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Eagles' Offensive Coordinator Brad Childress get the position. He's use to calling plays for a mobile QB that has less than average WR talent around him and before this season he was quite succesful doing so.

If Scott Linehan is willing to already leave the Dolphins then he's the first choice as he was the former O-Coordinator. If he wants to stay there though then Childress is my guess.

Yep its official they hired Childress: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2282732