TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Marcus Vick gone from Va. Tech

RICHMOND, Va. -- The president of Virginia Tech said Friday that quarterback Marcus Vick has been permanently dismissed from the football team.

Marcus Vick, who faces discipline for his behavior in Virginia Tech's bowl win, also has additional off-field problems.

The junior quarterback, who stomped on Elvis Dumervil's leg after the Louisville defensive end tackled Vick on Monday during the first half of the Toyota Gator Bowl, was to meet with coach Frank Beamer on Friday.

He also faces charges of speeding and driving on a suspended driver's license, Cpl. James West said Friday. Police stopped Vick in Hampton on Dec. 17, and he was charged with driving 38 mph in a 25 mph zone, the police spokesman said.

Virginia Tech had suspended him for all of the 2004 season because of legal troubles.

When the school announced Vick's suspension last year, Steger said if Vick faced additional off-field troubles, "his Virginia Tech career is effectively ended."

Vick was not penalized for the Dumervil incident but was rebuked at halftime of the Gator Bowl by quarterbacks coach Kevin Rogers, who said he even considered pulling Vick from the lineup.

Vick said later it was "an accidental play, and football is football." He also said he had apologized to Dumervil. Dumervil said no apology had been offered.

"A no-character individual," Dumervil said after the game.

AP/Phil Coale

Marcus Vick, eluding a Louisville defender in the Gator Bowl, stepped on the leg of another Cardinal player who tackled him in the first half.

Vick threw two touchdown passes and led a 22-point, fourth-quarter rally for the No. 12 Hokies, who beat the No. 15 Cardinals 35-24.

Rogers, who has mentored Vick in his on-field and off-field behavior, was livid with his quarterback, chewing him out at halftime, and after the game.

"There's no reason for that in the game," Rogers said. "It's flat-out embarrassing. I don't coach that way, and I don't expect him to play that way."

The incident is the latest trouble for Vick since he elected to follow his brother, Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick, to Virginia Tech. The elder Vick led the Hokies to the 1999 national championship game and was the first pick of the 2001 draft.

Marcus Vick played in 11 games as a backup in his freshman year, then was suspended from school last season after he was arrested, along with teammates Mike Imoh and Brenden Hill, for giving alcohol to 14- and 15-year-old girls. He pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor charge.

The younger Vick also later pleaded guilty to reckless driving and no contest to marijuana possession after a police stop in July 2004.

Good, I fucking hate him.

My issue is with this

He also faces charges of speeding and driving on a suspended driver's license, Cpl. James West said Friday. Police stopped Vick in Hampton on Dec. 17, and he was charged with driving 38 mph in a 25 mph zone, the police spokesman said.

If that's the case, why the fuck was he playing in the Gator Bowl?

38 in a 25? What the fucking hell.

It doesn't matter. He will get drafted by someone. I personally still feel most of the shit the guy has done isn't that big of a deal and seriously if you put most college players under a microscope, they will do the same shit and even worse. But like I said. None of this will matter at all.

My issue is with this

If that's the case, why the fuck was he playing in the Gator Bowl?

That story broke last night on a lot of VT and UVA message boards. Blew my mind. Apparently the charges were held off until yesterday, so that he could play in the game.

Good riddance to him. He was a pretty good player, but he was an embarrassment to his team and conference on and off the field, again and again. Way to go VT, for having the balls to clean up the program a bit.

He'll be a 6th or 7th round pick and go the route of Maurice Clarett IMO.

Agreed. He's got major maturity issues, and his performances against top defenses (Miami and FSU) don't help him either.

He needs to grow up really quick. There's only a few teams that would take this guy, Atlanta included. I think it's best for him to be around his brother for a while.

Who is going to draft him though? Why would you want a guy like that on your team? I know he's a great athlete but I think he brings an unneeded headache.

Guest Leelee
He needs to grow up really quick. There's only a few teams that would take this guy, Atlanta included. I think it's best for him to be around his brother for a while.

His brother isn't the model of maturity, either.

Oh well, hopefully both Mexicos go away.

His brother isn't the model of maturity, either.

Oh well, hopefully both Mexicos go away.

You want Ron Mexico.....stop denying it.

His brother isn't the model of maturity but I think that it's best to keep him around his family, which could hopefully get him to settle down.

I don't care anyway, I hate him and his brother. The 2 most overrated players in football, Michael more so than Marcus.

University President Charles Steger Statement on Marcus Vick

January 6, 2006

Virginia Tech quarterback Marcus Vick has been permanently dismissed from the Hokie football program due to a cumulative effect of legal infractions and unsportsmanlike play.

Virginia Tech had suspended Vick in 2004. The university provided one last opportunity for Vick to become a citizen of the university and re-admitted him in January 2005, with the proviso that any future problems would result in automatic dismissal from the team.

Head Football Coach Frank Beamer met with Vick and his mother this afternoon and informed the quarterback and his family of the University's decision. His recent actions are unfortunate and we wish him well in his future endeavors.

Said Coach Frank Beamer, "I'm very disappointed that this didn't have a better ending. We wanted what's best for this football team and Marcus. I certainly wish him the best."

It doesn't matter. I personally still feel most of the shit the guy has done isn't that big of a deal.

You wouldn't feel that way if Marcus Vick was white.

Anyways, he will enter the draft now and probably be a second day draft pick. The guy has a good amount of talent but he just doesn't get it. If he stays down the path he's on right now then I doubt he stays in the league for more than 2 seasons.

Marcus Vick needs to be on a team led by a veteran quarterback of impeccable character who would show Vick what's what.

okay, seroiusly, the stomping the guys leg was very unsportsmanlike, but that happens every sunday in the nfl and a "scuffle" starts and its over. If taking cheapshots when you are frustrated is the sign of a no good no maturity having punk, then there are like 8 mature players in the NFL.

Besides that, was partying with 15 year olds when he was 19 (or 18...I think it was 19 though) which, while ungodly stupid, I would like to see the college guys in here that will say they don't see highschoolers at college parties. It is stupid, but it is a stupid shared by a good percentage of the "high character" guys that are entering the draft.

The speeding thing is a non issue honestly.

All I see is a young guy that made dumb, young guy mistakes. None of this stuff seems especially rare or out of worldly dumb. I will say that it is the best thing that Viriginia Tech drop the guy. While I dont think that his stuff is that bad, you can't keep letting a guy stay on the team with discipline infractions. You have to think for the future of your program.

I say this because I guarentee that some GM's are going to see it the same way. There are players with much worse incidents in their college careers that were taken pretty high in the draft. He will gone in the first 3 rounds. He runs a 4.3 and has a better arm than his brother, who before deciding that he didn't want to run the ball anymore to prove something, had been a pretty dominant player in the NFL. Not that many teams are going to pass up on him.

Marcus would be a decent fifth or sixth round pick, maybe to the Vikings to back-up Brad Johnson if they are really stupid enough to deal Culpepper. Or he could go to the Eagles to back up McNabb. He HAS ability as does his brother, it just is a question of finding someone who can actually bring it out of them.

Both have strong arms with no accuracy but Marcus folds under pressure faster than a card table with a broken leg and he seems like he has a temper that makes Ryan Leaf seem like a choir boy.

Sixth or seventh round. Then they can either turn him into a slash player or just make him a pure back-up. I think a slash player would be GREAT for him.

He made enough young dumb guy mistakes to get suspended for a year--not a game or two, a year--and then continued to make dumb mistakes despite knowing he was on absolute thin ice. There's no one to blame but him.

And really, it doesn't matter. His brother gave him a $1 million check for his birthday, and he'll have enough wealth from big brother to sit on his ass for the rest of his life. I don't think he ever throws an NFL pass.

Good riddance to his stupid ass......He needs to have a conversation with Maurice Clarett (Another hopeless stupid fuck that ruined his career with stupidity). Is he gonna transfer to a different university or try to go directly into the NFL?

I hope he gets drafted in the NFL and someone stomps him right on his fuckin neck.

I think Marcus has too big of an ego to be a slash player.

Why not? He has enough egos for three players so he can play three positions and save the energy. It's not like Kordell Stewart was Mr. No Ego.

So I'm not the only one that believes hamburgers eat people? That's good to know.

Edited by Kingofthe909

Ripper, I've seen a lot of NFL games and I've never seen something like what Vick did in the Gator Bowl. I've seen late hits out of bounds, maybe the occasional cheap chop block, but for the most part that stuff falls into the category of stuff within the game. And there's all sorts of stuff that goes on in the pile and in the trenches.

But Vick stomping Elvis? It was a typical play, clean tackle, then the QUARTERBACK of all people decides to blatantly stomp on a lineman's leg (when no one else is even nearby mind you). The fact that the refs missed this--or maybe just looked the other way, not wanting to toss the game's primary ratings draw--is tangible proof of either ineptitude or corruption in football officiating.

okay, seroiusly, the stomping the guys leg was very unsportsmanlike, but that happens every sunday in the nfl and a "scuffle" starts and its over. If taking cheapshots when you are frustrated is the sign of a no good no maturity having punk, then there are like 8 mature players in the NFL.

Besides that, was partying with 15 year olds when he was 19 (or 18...I think it was 19 though) which, while ungodly stupid, I would like to see the college guys in here that will say they don't see highschoolers at college parties. It is stupid, but it is a stupid shared by a good percentage of the "high character" guys that are entering the draft.

The speeding thing is a non issue honestly.

All I see is a young guy that made dumb, young guy mistakes. None of this stuff seems especially rare or out of worldly dumb. I will say that it is the best thing that Viriginia Tech drop the guy. While I dont think that his stuff is that bad, you can't keep letting a guy stay on the team with discipline infractions. You have to think for the future of your program.

I say this because I guarentee that some GM's are going to see it the same way. There are players with much worse incidents in their college careers that were taken pretty high in the draft. He will gone in the first 3 rounds. He runs a 4.3 and has a better arm than his brother, who before deciding that he didn't want to run the ball anymore to prove something, had been a pretty dominant player in the NFL. Not that many teams are going to pass up on him.

Bullshit on your first point, I've never seen anything like the thing Vick did in the Gator Bowl, blatant cheap shot.

And he's not going in the first three rounds, the maturity issues will knock him down, along with when he played good defenses this year that usually produce NFL players (Miami and FSU), he was completely lost. 2nd day pick if he comes out.