TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

The WWE Folder

Guest Princess Leena

the folder can never be what you want it to be no matter what nazi is running it.

This is the exact attitude why the WWE folder will never be readable. Anyone who dares act like they care about the content of the board are considered "nazis" or "take things too seriously".

That's the major problem when it comes to trying to clean up the WWE Folder. If you want a decent forum to talk about wrestling, there are people who simply shouldn't be allowed to post because they don't know what they are talking about or don't have the ability to post in any kind of coherent manner. The problem with doing that is just like you said; the Mods doing that get accused of being Nazis or of taking things too seriously. The majority of people want the WWE forum cleaned up, but it’s the minority who just want to play around that have the loudest voice when complaining.

You saying anything about "cleaning up" a forum is fucking hilarious.

...but he's right.

I mean, I play around alot, especially in the OAO threads and the like (that's the main reason I started my own little thing when they had to cut back on them) but I do try to post coherent thoughts every now and again. I just need something poignant enough to justify my ramblings, and that doesn't come about as often as it should. I try not to fall in line with majority opinion, though it does happen.

When I do get myself into discussions I try my best to back up my opinions and thoughts with some form of information that isn't "because I said so". I don't really mind what any of the mods do, because in the end it does not affect me as a poster. I don't know if it's because I try to follow rules or because I'm not that visible of a poster, but there is very little I've seen that has upset me in the WWE Folder.

I don't really see any of the mods as nazis or tyrants. Everyone, when in any sort of position of power, tries to run things in a way that suits themselves first and everyone else second. Regardless of whether or not they think that, it's what happens. It's not so much that they are doing it to be rude or stupid or egomaniacal...they just do it because that, in general, is how people are.

I have a sick and twisted sense of humor, and so people making jokes of that nature might fly on my board better on a board run by someone else. If I would happen to go over the line and get warned, then I would start to watch my ass. It's that simple.

I find humor in the WWE folder. Whether it be in the stupid fights, bizarre comments, or even from the generated feedback on the WWE product, there is something entertaining about the WWE folder. Hell, I would say the folder is alot like the WWE itself. Smarks look into the folder and just scratch their heads saying "Why the hell would they be doing that?" or "what's the point of THIS?!"

Leena, HTQ is right. If the mods try to make the board all about intelligent wrestling discussion, it would almost destroy the allure the folder has. For one, whether we like it or not, there isn't even a need for constant intelligent wrestling discussion. The folder would fall apart without the random comedy breaks. But, if the folder completely degenerates to the messageboard equivalent of shit being flung at a wall, then that's no fun either.

I say be what you want to be, but understand that mods are typically working in favor of the majority, though even if their actions are simply for there own perverse pleasure - well, Nero played the fiddle while Rome burnt to the ground, but there's still a Rome now isn't there?

Just let it happen, and rebuild once the smoke clears. It won't kill you, it's just a messageboard.

If you want a decent forum to talk about wrestling, there are people who simply shouldn't be allowed to post because they don't know what they are talking about or don't have the ability to post in any kind of coherent manner. The problem with doing that is just like you said; the Mods doing that get accused of being Nazis or of taking things too seriously.

Maybe it's time to really stop caring what these feebs think and just do it? It can be said a million times that their opinion doesn't matter if they call you a nazi, but it's hard to back up when 99% of them aren't axed.

the folder can never be what you want it to be no matter what nazi is running it.

This is the exact attitude why the WWE folder will never be readable. Anyone who dares act like they care about the content of the board are considered "nazis" or "take things too seriously".

That's the major problem when it comes to trying to clean up the WWE Folder. If you want a decent forum to talk about wrestling, there are people who simply shouldn't be allowed to post because they don't know what they are talking about or don't have the ability to post in any kind of coherent manner. The problem with doing that is just like you said; the Mods doing that get accused of being Nazis or of taking things too seriously. The majority of people want the WWE forum cleaned up, but it's the minority who just want to play around that have the loudest voice when complaining.

That was my issue. I want people to actually state why they think that way instead of pulling a comment out of their ass and not backing it up.

About the original post: Is it genuine anger at the content here, of is it an assertion of your own percieved superiority? Doesn't strike me as a call to arms more than it does an insult to lower posters, imo of course. And why not set that standard yourself, instead of asking someone to do it for you?

I'm not angry, I just had a few suggestions and that's it. I'm not going to go into full whiny bitch mode. I also don't ignore anybody, as I like everyone to give everyone a chance to state their opinions for me to see, if I don't like it, I scroll down. But, when I'm scrolling past everyone's opinions to find one intelligent post, I don't know what the problem is.

If you want a decent forum to talk about wrestling, there are people who simply shouldn't be allowed to post because they don't know what they are talking about or don't have the ability to post in any kind of coherent manner. The problem with doing that is just like you said; the Mods doing that get accused of being Nazis or of taking things too seriously.

Maybe it's time to really stop caring what these feebs think and just do it? It can be said a million times that their opinion doesn't matter if they call you a nazi, but it's hard to back up when 99% of them aren't axed.

Then you get threads started by the people warned or friends of people banned where they complain long and loud about 'power trips' and nothing ends up changing because nobody wants to do anything major.

what, exactly, is wrong with the WWE Folder anyway? Seems to me there is decent enough conversation going on in there right now...is there something I'm not seeing? Goons like Fishywa aren't there anymore so what's the deal?

Leena- Yes, people have their right to an opinion. 100%. The problem with a lot (not all) of the opinions in the WWE Folder is that they are uninformed, ignorant and contribute nothing to the topics at hand. That's when they stop becoming opinions and start being something of a different sort.

As previously stated, we tried that multiple times, but a mod can't really be effective if the posters completely ignore what he/she wants and compare them to Nazis. We tried a "Suspended from the WWE Folder" group, people bitched. We tried being strict, people made the same complaints Lushus has made. It's a two-way street, kids. If you want the mod staff to do anything useful, you got to actually abide by any decisions we make, or we might as well have no mods at all.

That's because it was gone about in a terribly botched form. I mean making nikjohns a mod just because he wrote for the site? Awful idea.

And having nik walk in and suddenly being all strict and an asshole was not the way to work.

Yea, nikjohns sucked.

And for everyone bitching about HTQ, let me ask you this: Has he actually banned or suspended ANYONE just because he doesn't agree with your opinion? I haven't seen any instances of that. Ooh, he ignored you. Big ass deal.

Mike.

And you're completely missing the point of what Leena is saying.

And for everyone bitching about HTQ, let me ask you this: Has he actually banned or suspended ANYONE just because he doesn't agree with your opinion? I haven't seen any instances of that. Ooh, he ignored you. Big ass deal.

Mike.

Nice try, but you missed. Mike was banned for being a "cancer" and deservedly so. And I didn't even ban him. I might have pushed the buttons, but people higher up on the ladder made the final call to kick him out. If they had wanted him here, he'd be here, no matter what I thought.

what, exactly, is wrong with the WWE Folder anyway? Seems to me there is decent enough conversation going on in there right now...is there something I'm not seeing? Goons like Fishywa aren't there anymore so what's the deal?

That's the thing, there. To one person, the WWE folder might be perfectly fine. To another, it might be a total wreck. If someone comes in and tries to set guidelines, there can't be a happy medium. What might be one person's ideal is another person's hellhole. So when a person like Loss, nik, or HTQ goes in and tries to 'clean up' they are trying to please as many of the regular posters as they possibly can, knowing full well that it is IMPOSSIBLE to completely satisfy every single poster, thus leading to the bitching/whining/complaining.

Lushus, you make the comment that since the goons are gone, it's better, but someone like Leena is more upset over the moderating practices. The forum itself might be running perfectly smoothly, but if one (or more) posters don't like the person in charge, it's like revolution. And so it goes that the more the mods try and set up the place to their liking, the more and more the few that don't like it get upset and cause more hassle than needs to be handled.

If you asked every regular WWE forum poster to come up with their ideal WWE folder, you'd get that many different reponses. You'd get overlaps and agreements here and there, but there would be very few that would be in complete agreement on the way things should be ran. I might see things differently than Leena, who sees things differently from HTQ, who sees them differently than 909, who sees them differently from Rudo, etc etc etc.

That entire folder will never be completely satisfactory for everybody. Deal with it. I go to that folder for news, for conversation, and for some of the humor that happens to come out of there. That's it. Luckily that tends to be 95% of the folder, so I'm usually content.

Mike.

Nice try, but you missed. Mike was banned for being a "cancer" and deservedly so. And I didn't even ban him. I might have pushed the buttons, but people higher up on the ladder made the final call to kick him out. If they had wanted him here, he'd be here, no matter what I thought.

Whatever, I realise it's pointless to argue over Mike's banning for the 900th time.

But I know you didn't like the way he argued over Montreal.

It's pointless trying to fix the WWE folder, it's fine the way it is.

Barron, you should go to the Hotbox Cafe in Toronto and make a post about it.

I'd read it.

Is that in Kensington Market?

Because if so, I think I've been there.

Yea, I think I might have been there.

I went to Kensington Market earlier this year for Covering Diversity, and I know we went in into a bunch of places like that.

Then you get threads started by the people warned or friends of people banned where they complain long and loud about 'power trips' and nothing ends up changing because nobody wants to do anything major.

Then you lock/delete those complaints and keep on truckin towards the intended target, in this (somewhat) hypothetical case, a functioning WWE discussion forum. To keep something healthy, you sometimes have to prune away dead and diseased parts. Once this work has gone on for long enough, you have then succeeded in creating a community that is basically self regulating. Is there a fear of bruising members' egos or being made to look like an asshole?

Then you lock/delete those complaints and keep on truckin towards the intended target, in this (somewhat) hypothetical case, a functioning WWE discussion forum. To keep something healthy, you sometimes have to prune away dead and diseased parts. Once this work has gone on for long enough, you have then succeeded in creating a community that is basically self regulating. Is there a fear of bruising members' egos or being made to look like an asshole?

There's no fear of bruising egos or looking like an asshole. It's just that it would wind up being a waste of time because you'd get enough of the usual suspects complaining that an Admin or admin would show up, say nothing needs to be done, and stop you from doing what's needed.

usual suspects = bob_barron

ignore him and let Sass deal with him.

The TNA Folder is actually pretty damn good for discussion on the product. Its nothing like the WWE Folder in my opinion.

Honestly, the WWE folder is the most recognizable folder on the whole board and probably where a lot of the newer posters go right off the bat, so of course there's going to be a higher ratio of idiots there than the other folders, so you just have to accept that and wait until they either wise up or go away. Like I always say, the ignore feature is there for a reason.

The WWE Folder isn't bad, it's just uninspired. I don't think many people care enough about the WWE to put the effort in. And those that do care enough to put effort in their posts have really worthless opinions. It's like, why would I put any stock into someones opinion after they watched New Years Revolution when their opinion before the show was "Hey, I should buy this!" It's bad judgment before, so why would after be any different? Plus, we've kinda discussed every subject under the sun about the WWE for the past 5 years, and since they are keen on reliving the mistakes they've made in the past 5 years, there isn't anything new to say. The best solution would be an initiative to create new discussion, IMO.

But people who say stuff like this...

With the current admins here, it's agree with whatever Dave Meltzer, and the majority of smarks say, or you're an idiot.

...should be gone. Ditto people who say "I'd love to see THIS happen just to see all the smarks get in an uproar".

The best solution would be an initiative to create new discussion, IMO.

But like you said, every topic has been discussed ad nauseam over the past four or so years. Let's face it, the WWE folder goes where the product goes and, we can all agree here, the product ain't been very good lately.

But people who say stuff like this...

With the current admins here, it's agree with whatever Dave Meltzer, and the majority of smarks say, or you're an idiot.

...should be gone.

And people like that are usually the first to complain that people should stop watching WWE if they don't like it.

Well, that sort of thing requires effort. Put your noggins together, I'm sure you can find new things to talk about, new spins on old topics, various controversial statements that would get peoples blood boiling again. It would be a strategic solution to the problem, there would be a plan and that plan would take some time to be formulated and implemented. I would suggest a brainstorming session from you mods in your mod folder and come up with, I dunno, 10 topics per month (one every 3 day), that you will put on the board that will get people thinking about bigger issues, or perhaps what look to be minor issues but have a greater importance than one would think.

I'll throw out this: People like to share their preferences (favourite wrestler right now), you take that fact and you try to spin it in a way that gets people to think, discuss, and debate. Maybe recruit a few members from the forum to agree to participate in the discussion to get things going, maybe artificially create a debate within a thread and let the forum members take things from there.

usual suspects = bob_barron

ignore him and let Sass deal with him.

The TNA Folder is actually pretty damn good for discussion on the product. Its nothing like the WWE Folder in my opinion.

Why must Frigid be so stupid?

The TNA Folder is pretty good, but the double standard TNA gets at times (outside of Double J) gets tiring at times.

The one thing that annoys me in the WWE folder (and it looks like many here share this) is the people who make random, mindles, anti-smark comments. Like the "it's agree with whatever Dave Meltzer, and the majority of smarks say, or you're an idiot" stuff. First, if Meltzer, and a majority of others, are reporting then in all likelihood its probably accurate. Second...this is a smartmarks board, Im sure theres stuff like Yahoo chat and whatnot for the mark audience who enjoy Monday Night Raw no matter what is shown to them.

If you really like Randy Orton...try explaining that with a bit more reasoning than 'hes dreamy'. If you're a fan of big hoss wrestlers or McMahon soap opera storylines then explain your reasoning as to why that is better entertainment to you than Chris Benoit, etc. If you cant back up your arguments with anything but gut feelings than you probably should discuss them at a more marky messageboard.

If you disagree with much of the smarks shared opinions...why are you here? That seemed to be one of MikeSC's biggest problems, constant pointless negative trolling in the TNA folder. There are plenty of options to talk about here and on other sites...why limit yourself to topics you dont like for the sole purpose of dragging down conversation?

Well, that sort of thing requires effort. Put your noggins together, I'm sure you can find new things to talk about, new spins on old topics, various controversial statements that would get peoples blood boiling again. It would be a strategic solution to the problem, there would be a plan and that plan would take some time to be formulated and implemented. I would suggest a brainstorming session from you mods in your mod folder and come up with, I dunno, 10 topics per month (one every 3 day), that you will put on the board that will get people thinking about bigger issues, or perhaps what look to be minor issues but have a greater importance than one would think.

I'll throw out this: People like to share their preferences (favourite wrestler right now), you take that fact and you try to spin it in a way that gets people to think, discuss, and debate. Maybe recruit a few members from the forum to agree to participate in the discussion to get things going, maybe artificially create a debate within a thread and let the forum members take things from there.

I wish to participate.