TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Just call me Dan

Underworld: Evolution

Saw this flick last night and I must say, I enjoyed it a lot. Actions was great, gore was well done.

Few things I didn't really get:

How did Markus get entombed? Was it of his own free will? Was he imprisoned or just hibernating? Had he been around, would he and Viktor been on the same page?

What exactly was Alexander considered? Was he actually a hybrid like Michael, and Michael would resemle Alexander's true form?

How did Markus evolve?

Why was William really just a big lycan and rather weak? Shouldn't he be a little more impressive ala Markus?

Cool movie, I'd recommend checking it out in theatres.

The 10:15 showing last night was filled to the brim. Your thoughts?

Guest Smues

My girlfriend will be dragging me to this probably next week. Did they at least use a light source this time?

They explained the three vampire deal in the first movie. Each one stays in the tomb for a certain number of years while the other takes control. This way a master vampire is always around and in charge with no fights for control. Someone woke up Markcus just like Selene woke up Viktor. I'd imagine each one is going to have a different form as we go along.

I don't even need to see the movie to answer that question and it's not really much of a spoiler since he was waking up at the end of part 1.

Having seen it twice and owning the first one, I can answer all your questions.

How did Markus get entombed? Was it of his own free will? Was he imprisoned or just hibernating? Had he been around, would he and Viktor been on the same page?

- Answered already, but basically, 2 asleep, 1 awake. In the first movie, Amelia was the one in charge while Viktor and Markus were asleep. It was Markus' turn to be awoken, but Selene broke the chain and awoke Viktor early. BTW, there's no elders left. Amelia was killed by Lycans and both Markus and Viktor fell to Selene.

What exactly was Alexander considered? Was he actually a hybrid like Michael, and Michael would resemle Alexander's true form?

- Alexander was an immortal, the first really. He was just a human that was immortal.

How did Markus evolve?

- A lycan prisoner was killed by Viktor in the first movie. His blood ran into Markus' chamber and since he was a direct descendant of the first immortal, Alexander, he was able to accept the lycan blood and become a hybrid.

Why was William really just a big lycan and rather weak? Shouldn't he be a little more impressive ala Markus?

- As it was mentioned in the film by both Viktor and Tannis, early lycans were savage beasts who could not contain their rage. They could not return to human form either. It was only later down the line that lycans were able to control their rage and take human forms. Markus was impressive because he was a hybrid.

I was really surprised with how solid the story was. This was one of the better sequels and while it wasn't cleverly written or mindblowing or anything like that, it clearly wasn't a tacked-on movie to cash in on whatever success the first one had. It was well crafted and structured and it kept close to the original and when it strayed they managed to give a reason for straying.

My problems with it were basically that (1)I didn't really care about the story or the characters and (2)it was like the Matrix sequels. Not in the sense of that they tried too much, because I thought it was pretty well paced, but it's like with the Matrix you had Neo who could do all this fucking cool stuff and basically control the universe he was in and you just saw him shooting guns and doing kung-fu - you sorta expected more. At the end of the Matrix you have Neo stopping bullets, jumping into guys, and flying. It's fucking cool and you think that's just one of the many cool shit he can do... but the sequels have him doing pretty much all the shit he did in the original -just more of it. This was the same thing, shooting guns and instead of kung fu you got growling and furrowing of brows. I like to see test drives in movies like this, a chance to see what these super-charged folk can do. Instead they're doing what any regular-charged folk can do - shoot guns.

Michael (Speedmans character) at the end of the original movie is this hugely powerful dude that has the powers of both a warewolf and a vampire, the first thing they have the dude do is fight with Marcus and look like shit. C'mon now, there was a bar full of people waiting to get obliterated. Take the skills for a test drive. We want to see cool shit. We see shooting of guns all the fucking time. The number one thing Michael did in this was change shape. Fuck that shit.

Selene drinks the blood of the most powerful man on the planet and what does she do with this insane strength? SHOOT GUNS. And guns don't even fucking work. The big fights they set up with the two brothers last for a minute and that's it. Great finishes, but that's it. They spent way too much time on getting over Marcus, they put him over Craven, they put him over Michael, they put him over Alexandre, they put him over that dude with the orgy, and they had him do the same fucking trick the whole time. The dude has wings, that's fabulous. It was great the first time, got tired every time after that.

And the sex scene was lame. You'd think a vampire and a hybrid of a vampire and a werewolf would have some crazy-wild sex, and instead it's like "does it hurt? is this good for you? is the pillow comfortable? how about the candles?"

As bad as it sounds, they spent so much time on trying to get the story right that they didn't take time to have fun with the characters.

I CANT BELIEVE YOU RUINED UNDERWORLD @

All I really want to know is how the guy who played Craven followed up on his performance in the first, which was seriously the worst acting job I have seen in a major film, ever.

I CANT BELIEVE YOU RUINED UNDERWORLD @

All I really want to know is how the guy who played Craven followed up on his performance in the first, which was seriously the worst acting job I have seen in a major film, ever.

Yeah I remember watching Underworld and thinking "can somebody please kill this guy already?" whenever Craven would launch into one of his diatribes.

Seeing this movie made any accidental subsequent viewings of "Pearl Harbor" better, since I could now fantasize about Elektra and Selene getting into a fistfight at various given points in that movie.