TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dandy

Internet stops working

Okay, I bought a new computer, and everything is wonderful except for that pesky problem of having to restart the computer every 30 mins or so (that is the average) because I cannot open any more links and there is apparently no internet connection. Fairly certain it is not the modem. Anyone have a clue as to what might be causing this?

If its brand new and you haven’t been to any of "those" sites, then its just strange, but it sounds like symptoms of spyware/adware or maybe a virus. I have personally seen spyware do something similar, but again if it’s new it shouldn't have stuff on it already.

Next time that happens try to ping something. As soon as you can't pull anymore pages.

Go to start>run>(type in) cmd

type ipconfig

You will see a # called Default Gateway. if you don't have one...there's the problem.

(if you do type)ping (default gateway #)

if you can't hit that, it's your comp probably, could be TCP/IP or winsock issue, prob caused by spyware or virus

(if you hit that type)ping 216.109.118.64

if you can't hit that, may want to call the ISP, could be modem or firewall if you have a router.

(if you hit that type)ping www.yahoo.com

if you can't hit that. could DNS or firewall problem, contact ISP for DNS #'s

If you can hit that, could be a browser issue, also could be cause by spyware or virus.

Also try repairing the Local Area Connection.

Also try powercycling the modem when it happens, see if that fixes it. Watch the lights on the modem, see if any go out when the problem occurs. Try to fix the problem without rebooting the computer. you shouldn't have to do that.

admin: Thanks, but Norton came with the computer, and I bought Spyware Doctor as soon as I logged on to the internet for the first time. I don't think it's spyware or a virus.

Carnival: Forgive me for being stupid, but I'm not familiar with a "ping." Do I type in "ping" where you did? Again, sorry for being retarded.

Thanks to both of you for the help, though.

you will type ping in the same place you typed "ipconfig"

start>run>cmd>ping blahblahblah

make sure you include the space after the word ping. You aren't retarded. It's all good. let me know what happens or if you have any other questions.

Guest Princess Leena

You don't have to do cmd.

Click Start at the bottom left of your screen.

Click Run...

Type ping whateversite.