TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dubq

Puroresu comments

Tanahashi vs. AJ Styles on 2/17!

After an interval of about two years, Hiroshi Tanahashi and TNA superstar AJ Styles go to war again on 2/17 at Sumo Hall, their second singles match. In 2006, Tanahashi headed to TNA and was beaten by Styles, and although both men have stepped up in their respective promotions since, Tanahashi will be looking for a revenge win here. However, AJ told New Japan's official website that he considers this match a foothold for a full New Japan invasion, and is looking past Tanahashi to matches with Nagata, Nakanishi, Goto, and other heavyweights!

New Japan also announced that Tiger Mask will head to TNA for an excursion very soon. Tiger Mask is furious at the American promotion though, as they have only told him he'll be fighting on January 21st, but believes they are trying to shorthand him by refusing to name an opponent until the day, giving him no chance to prepare. TNA hopes to bring various other New Japan wrestlers in this year, with Tiger Mask and Nakamura top of their want list according to a recent edition of the Wrestling Observer.

NJPW, 2/17/08 (WPW/PPV)

Tokyo Ryogoku Kokugikan

1. New Japan vs. TNA: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. AJ Styles

2. IWGP Tag Team Title: Giant Bernard & Travis Tomko © vs. Togi Makabe & Toru Yano

3. IWGP Heavyweight Title Unification Match - IWGP 2nd vs. IWGP 3rd: Shinsuke Nakamura © vs. Kurt Angle ©

...It's always amusing how Japanese promotions NEVER forget shit like that. They always have to avenge things...Such as a few years back, New Japan brought in an Australian team for ONE SHOW, so they could do a "WORLD CUP REVENGE" match with the Japanese team winning.

AJ will be lucky if he makes it 13 minutes against Tanahashi. The difference in rank between them is huge now.

From Puroresufan.com (cross-posted to the TNA comments thread as well):

New Japan also announced that Nakamura will head to TNA shortly to confront Kurt Angle and build up their unification match. Goto also showed interest in going to TNA and launching a RISE invasion, similar to CTU's from a couple of years ago. Nakamura will wrestle on the 1/21 and 1/22 tapings in Florida.

Is it wrong for me to hope that Nakamura shoots on Angle? I mean, I know he won't unless Angle pulled shit first.. but man.. Angle's just been a complete embarassment to the sport for a while now. Either way I hope this finally ends with NJ getting the 3rd title back and puts an end to this multiple belt retardation.

You're an idiot. Watch the Dome Show main-event matches again. I could maybe buy the opinion that Nakamura performed better than Angle that night (though I personally think the other way round), but if you're telling me that Angle sucked in his match and Nakamura was outstanding, then you're a fool.

Is it wrong for me to hope that Nakamura shoots on Angle? I mean, I know he won't unless Angle pulled shit first.. but man.. Angle's just been a complete embarassment to the sport for a while now. Either way I hope this finally ends with NJ getting the 3rd title back and puts an end to this multiple belt retardation.

You're an idiot. Watch the Dome Show main-event matches again. I could maybe buy the opinion that Nakamura performed better than Angle that night (though I personally think the other way round), but if you're telling me that Angle sucked in his match and Nakamura was outstanding, then you're a fool.

I'm not saying Angle sucks as a wrestler - I'm saying that I'm sick of him and wish he would fuck off (I KNOW I'm not alone on this either). It's kind of like how I feel about you now. :)

New Japan are fucking IDIOTS to be letting NJPW book Tiger Mask and Nakamura. Tiger Mask is fine...kind of, but to send your world champion to TNA when the lead booker is Vince Russo is SUICIDE. Nakamura won't connect with US fans, while Tanahashi would easily fit in...Plus, you wouldn't have to be afraid of TNA dicking around your world champ in that case.

Their only hope is that Jeff Jarrett doesn't allow Russo to get away with BS, because he'll try.

I think it's much more likely that he does their syndicated show, and shows up on Impact once while they go "LOOK ITS IWGP CHAMPION SHINSUKE NAKAMURA WHAT IS HE DOING HERE?!?!?"

and then he's never seen again.

Speaking of appearances that never turned into anything.. what was with Muta showing up at a TNA PPV a few months ago?

Muta was doing a tour with Insane Clown morons' fed and was in Orlando to talk business with Jarrett. The two figured, you're here why not put you on TV? Personally I'm glad TNA maintained its relationship with NJ over AJ. As cool as Kojima/Voodoo Murders showing up would have been, NJ has much much more to offer.

Betting line on Nakamura doing a match in TNA and getting pinned after being hit by a bottle of sake?

Thankfully Jarrett seems to have more respect for foreign workers than Russo. That Liger deal with Juvi in '99 was embarassing.

I think Jarrett respects that having a good relationship with NJ gives TNA the opportunity to offer something that WWE doesn't.

In fact...if we take the way back machine to 2003...

"I can say with confidence (as I reported down below) that there are indications from New Japan's side that they are willing to pour cash into NWA-TNA if they can acquire Bill Goldberg, Kurt Angle, or Brock Lesnar and have the rights to book the mentioned workers in Japan. Kurt Angle is their dream choice.

-puroresupower.com "

Kurt Angle falling into their laps opened a door that they'd been eyeing for a long time.

NJPW's not in a position to pour money into anything. Despite being the #1 promotion in Japan, their not the strongest financially. If Yukes hadn't bought them, there's no telling where they'd be right now. Yukes, atleast for awhile, was willing to pour money into NJPW but they've really gone back to a minimalist style. Outside of the Tokyo Dome and the Tanahashi/Goto show, they really don't put themselves in positions of great risk. NJPW has been trying to build from within since Choshu took over in 2006, and it's starting to pay off.

I think it's arguable about NJPW offering more then AJPW...In terms of exposure in Japan, yes...but AJPW's stock has siginificantly risen in the last year or two. I'd say Nakajima could get more over in America then anyone NJPW has outside of Minoru or Milano. Kondo would be just as effective as well, not to mention TARU who actually wrestles in a shirt with the word "HEEL" on it. They could even build an entire PPV around The Great Muta's first PPV match in America in years.

Obviously their latest Sumo Hall show is not going to do as well as NOAH's Budokan Kobashi return sell-out, but with the card they've already stacked up it'll easily draw 10,000, if not 12,000.

With any big show that you are promoting, you have a excellent main event that'll get 75% of the fans in (See Nakamura/Tanahashi or Nagata/Angle), then you thow extra matches in that'll fill some extra seats (See Goto/Muta, for those who love the Muta schtick).

The Sumo Hall main event is as appealing as both the Dome shows efforts combined, and the Tag Team title match and Nagata/Goto will get in the extra fans as Muta/Goto did for 1/4. 10k guaranteed.

Obviously their latest Sumo Hall show is not going to do as well as NOAH's Budokan Kobashi return sell-out, but with the card they've already stacked up it'll easily draw 10,000, if not 12,000.

With any big show that you are promoting, you have a excellent main event that'll get 75% of the fans in (See Nakamura/Tanahashi or Nagata/Angle), then you thow extra matches in that'll fill some extra seats (See Goto/Muta, for those who love the Muta schtick).

The Sumo Hall main event is as appealing as both the Dome shows efforts combined, and the Tag Team title match and Nagata/Goto will get in the extra fans as Muta/Goto did for 1/4. 10k guaranteed.

10,000 is stretching it at best, and even then it'll have to be mostly papered. The only real drawing match they have right now is Nakamura vs. Angle. Before 1/4, I would have put Nagata vs. Goto on a strong semi-final level, but not with how Goto was treated against Muta. With one real strong main event and nothing really inspiring underneath, at least right now, I'll be stunned if New Japan get even 7,500 paid. Anything above that is likely to be paper, unless they really load up the undercard.

For the record, their last Sumo Hall outing drew barely more than a half full house, with 6,500, and who knows how much of that was paper.

I fucking *CALLED* what they'd do with Nakamura.

Where's my damn picture with a cookie?

NJPW might not even do that well on this upcoming Tokyo Ryogoku Kokugikan show. Nakamura going into this match immediately is a bad idea. He needs time to establish himself on Angle's level. Nakamura's never had that opportunity as a top guy. The fans aren't really behind him either. He was pushed too hard at first, they spent forever rebuilding him, and he's been programmed as a heel. The fans just don't CARE about "IWGP Champion Shinsuke Nakamura" as it is. Tanahashi or Nagata being IWGP champ against Angle would have meant a lot more.

They've also booked themselves into kind of a corner. If Nakamura beats Angle, it won't mean a whole lot as it current stands. If Nakamura LOSES to Angle, then Nakamura's toast as a draw. He had one reign that went no-where, a second will send him into Tenzan-land. You don't come back from those types of reigns, it never works. Even when someone like Kawada finally got his big reign, it didn't mean anything. If you're first few reigns are botched/fucked up, then you are tainted goods.

Speaking of Tenzan, and going into non-NJPW discussion. There's some interesting things going on. Tenzan has vanished from NJPW shows. He's either injured (highly possible) or there are rumors that AJPW is trying to court him. Tenzan will never work as a top draw, but he could easily boost AJPW's upper midcards. Another interesting development, is Keiji Muto is using his influence to fuck with NJPW. He brought Tanahashi onto his talk show and discussed joining AJPW. This has a few implications. First, everything Muto's teased on that show has *HAPPENED* none of it's been hyperbole. For him to publically court the idea is massive. Secondly, Tanahashi rejected his first NJPW contract talk. Several wrestlers do this, but with the timing, it could mean something. And Thirdly, there's a rumor that Tanahashi will be working an upcoming AJPW big event in a tag match with Muto.

If NJPW were to lose Tanahashi, or he goes FREE, it would have MASSIVE repercussions on the business right now. Tanahashi is the guy now, there's no one (outside of Kobashi) with a higher rank of visibility. He could make a killing freelancing.

From Puroresufan.com

NJPW Returns To The NWA!!!

It gives me great pleasure to announce the return of New Japan Pro Wrestling as a member of the National Wrestling Alliance. New Japan has long been the standard-bearer for excellence in professional wrestling in the Far East.

With New Japan's "return home", the NWA continues its mission to provide wrestling fans with the finest in professional wrestling from every part of the globe. Along with our recent expansions into Australia, Mexico and Puerto Rico and our long standing members in Canada and the United Kingdom, the addition of New Japan to the NWA assures fans that they will see the finest wrestlers in the world competing for the most prestigious championship in the world--The NWA World Heavyweight Championship.

I want to thank New Japan's International Coordinator, Tiger Hattori, Chief Financial Officer, M. Nishizawa, and President, Naoki Sugabashi for all their efforts in making this pair a reality.

The NWA -- for 60 years the home of the best in professional wrestling

Robert K. Trobich

NWA Executive Director

Does anyone still care about the NWA? Anyone?

Japan hasn't really ever forgotten about the NWA. Japan remembers them, so NJPW should get mileage out of this.

NJPW will likely bring in the NWA champ a few times, and use them for cheap gaijins while sending their guys to do NWA shows in order to get TV exposure on NWA's new show.

If the NWA champ was Danielson or someone, this would have HUGE benefits as Danielson is known in Japan, and could do alot in NJPW, but Adam Pierce isn't going to do anything in Japan.

I wouldn't be surprised if NJPW got the NWA title or the NWA Junior title, more or less to go "HEY! WE'VE GOT THE NWA TITLES! GO US!".

From Puroresufan.com

NJPW Returns To The NWA!!!

It gives me great pleasure to announce the return of New Japan Pro Wrestling as a member of the National Wrestling Alliance. New Japan has long been the standard-bearer for excellence in professional wrestling in the Far East.

With New Japan's "return home", the NWA continues its mission to provide wrestling fans with the finest in professional wrestling from every part of the globe. Along with our recent expansions into Australia, Mexico and Puerto Rico and our long standing members in Canada and the United Kingdom, the addition of New Japan to the NWA assures fans that they will see the finest wrestlers in the world competing for the most prestigious championship in the world--The NWA World Heavyweight Championship.

I want to thank New Japan's International Coordinator, Tiger Hattori, Chief Financial Officer, M. Nishizawa, and President, Naoki Sugabashi for all their efforts in making this pair a reality.

The NWA -- for 60 years the home of the best in professional wrestling

Robert K. Trobich

NWA Executive Director

Does anyone still care about the NWA? Anyone?

I wonder if this will effect anything with TNA and New Japan, because its known NWA broke away from TNA, I think if Angle loses to Shinskue and Tomko and A Trian lose their IWGP tag belts, then you gotta wonder if NJPW will cut ties from TNA

Don't know, but I get the impression that Tomko really likes working in Japan, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave TNA if that were to happen.

From Puroresufan.com

nj021708.jpg

[Results] New Japan, 2/17/08 by Stuart - 17 Feb 2008

--> "CIRCUIT 2008 NEW JAPAN ISM" <--

Shinsuke Nakamura has lived out his destiny and leads New Japan Pro-Wrestling after the biggest win of his career today at Sumo Hall in Tokyo. Nakamura defeated global superstar and double champion Kurt Angle, to prove himself the real and strongest IWGP Heavyweight Champion, defending his 2nd generation belt for the first time while capturing the controversial 3rd generation belt that Brock Lesnar ran off with, before Angle defeated him for it. It was always going to be an uphill battle for the RISE leader against the IWGP 3rd and TNA Heavyweight Champion, and it proved to be a very difficult match for Nakamura, who was often on the defensive. But Nakamura's technique shone as he returned to his roots, Angle tapping out cleanly in the middle of the ring, Nakamura's quest to recapture the lost belt complete. Angle embraced Nakamura after the match, showing complete respect, while Kotetsu Yamamoto broke down into tears as he handed the new young leader of the Japanese pro wrestling industry both IWGP belts, which he and Tanahashi have done so much to repair. Nakamura said in his post-match interview that he could hardly believe he has beaten Angle, but that he has proven himself the TRUE IWGP champion. This result, following so many other events, perhaps completed the change of generation in New Japan. Backstage, when asked about his trainer Kotetsu's tears, Nakamura said it was important that New Japan revive and uphold the "strong" professional wrestling, a quest he has persisted with since the Ultimate Crush days, and Kotetsu is one of the forefathers of the "strong" New Japan, having been there since the start. Nakamura suggested that the second generation IWGP belt may be retired again, as it was supposed to be in memory of Shinya Hashimoto, and that he may wield the third generation belt that was stolen from the company. Angle admitted he had perhaps underestimated Nakamura, and called him a wonderful wrestler who he believes will hold the title for a very long time.

The show was rocked by the announcement that Yuji Nagata had been rushed to hospital before it with symptoms resembling a stroke. Abnormalities in his brain, which led to a severe headache and Nagata losing feeling in parts of his body, led to the cancellation of the much anticipated Nagata vs. Goto match, and cast the future of Mr. Saikyo in much doubt. After appearing in IGF yesterday and suggesting his loyalties may lie there in Japan now, Travis Tomko was not a popular figure going into his and Giant Bernard's IWGP Tag Team Title defense today against underdogs and 2007 Japanese Tag Team of the Year, GBH's Makabe & Yano. Bernard & Tomko were approaching a one year anniversary going into today's defense, but failed, as the on-fire rulebreaking tandem got the better of them, Makabe chain lariating Tomko, then dropping the knee for the three count. This was the first IWGP coronation for both Makabe and Yano, who have taken the lead in GBH. Tomko, who is becoming a bigger priority in TNA and is seen as a possible main eventer for the near future there, may be done as a New Japan regular now. Should the working agreement with TNA continue in any form, there is talk of Team 3D returning to challenge the new champions in a rematch from the Tokyo Dome.

New Japan's domination of TNA superstars today was even sweeter when Hiroshi Tanahashi avenged a loss that has been bothering him some time, pinning AJ Styles in a strong match. This had lots of good action and ended without Shannon Moore interference, Tana dropping his High Fly Flow on AJ for the three count. The two shook hands after the match, Tanahashi calling AJ a "genius" and showing full respect for his fallen opponent. Tanahashi now looks ahead to All Japan's Sumo Hall show, where he teams with mentor Keiji Muto against the "Oudou" team of Toshiaki Kawada & Taiyo Kea. Having dropped the IWGP Heavyweight Title, Tanahashi is being given room to explore new opportunities and grow even more as a wrestler after becoming a bonifide main eventer in 2007. RISE lost the other tag belts today too, as Minoru & Prince Devitt somewhat surprisingly failed in their V1 defense of the IWGP Jr. Tag Team Title they took from Togo & TAKA at the start of the tour, beaten by Legend's Liger & AKIRA. Liger pinned Devitt after a ruthless avalanche-style brainbuster and AKIRA captured the junior tag belts for the first time as he continues to shelve his acting career to work full-time in his home-again, New Japan. This was also Liger's first New Japan title since he lost the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title last in July, 2000, almost EIGHT years ago. Young lions Yujiro & Tetsuya Naito stormed into the ring after the match, challenging the new champions to a match. Liger said that although New Japan is led by younger wrestlers nowadays, he and AKIRA showed that experience means something and they had proven the older wrestlers still have something to offer today.

Hiroyoshi Tenzan's return match ended in disaster as he was betrayed by his GBH partners, Jado, Gedo, and Ishii. The new look Tenzan seemed healthier in his return match, but Legend's united power saw them beat GBH, Chono pinning Ishii. It was after that that Tenzan received a beating from his teammates, and he was left alone, a man without allies. What does the future hold for Tenzan? It wasn't all misery for TNA today as "Fallen Angel" Christopher Daniels made it 1-1 in his series with Wataru Inoue, pinning the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Champion in a rematch from the 1/4 Tokyo Dome show. Unfortunately for the former Curry Man, no title was on the line today. Daniels demanded a third match, a conclusion match, with the title again on the line, and Wataru seemed positive to the idea, with it all depending on the IWGP executive committee. Wataru did say he'd go to America to defend it if he had to.

NJPW, 2/17/08 (WPW/PPV)

Tokyo Ryogoku Kokugikan

9,500 Fans

1. Intensely! Desperately!: Manabu Nakanishi, Takashi Iizuka, Koji Kanemoto & Tiger Mask beat Ryusuke Taguchi, Yujiro, Taichi Ishikari & Tetsuya Naito (9:45) when Nakanishi used an Argentine backbreaker on Naito.

2. Jr. NEW GENERATION: Christopher Daniels TNA Wrestling beat Wataru Inoue (13:00) with the Best Moonsault Ever.

3. Hiroyoshi Tenzan Return Match ~ Tenzan Home Coming: Riki Choshu, Masahiro Chono, Shiro Koshinaka & Super Strong Machine beat Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Jado, Gedo & Tomohiro Ishii (8:55) when Chono used a Shining Yakuza kick on Ishii.

4. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title: Jushin Thunder Liger & AKIRA beat Minoru & Prince Devitt © (14:55) when Liger used an avalanche-style brainbuster on Devitt to become the 20th champions.

5. New Japan vs. TNA - The Highflying Star vs. The Phenomenal 2nd: Hiroshi Tanahashi beat AJ Styles TNA Wrestling (18:54) with the High Fly Flow.

6. IWGP Tag Team Title: Togi Makabe & Toru Yano beat Giant Bernard & Travis Tomko © (16:30) when Makabe used a top rope King Kong kneedrop on Tomko to become the 51st champions.

7. IWGP Heavyweight Title Unification Match - IWGP 2nd vs. IWGP 3rd: Shinsuke Nakamura © beat Kurt Angle TNA Wrestling © (13:55) with a cross armbreaker (1st defense) to become the new IWGP 3rd Belt Champion and unify the titles.

More from Puroresufan.com

nakamura022208.jpg

New Japan reveals new IWGP Heavyweight Title by Stuart - 22 Feb 2008

New Japan today held a press conference to unveil the design for the fourth generation IWGP Heavyweight Title belt. After Nakamura defeated Angle to both defend his second generation title and win Angle's third generation title, New Japan was left with the problem of what to use. Well, the answer is none: they will introduce a new design as pictured above. Production began on February 19th and it will be presented to Nakamura at the March 9th tour opener in Aichi. Nakamura can then show off the new belt throughout the tour, leading into his next defense against the New Japan Cup winner at the end of March. Nakamura believes aspects of all three previous designs have been put into the new belt, creating a sort of hybrid. He said it is a pleasure to see history so respected in the new design. President Sugabayashi explained simply that the reason for a new belt is to start a new time. "Hashimoto's title", the second generation, was sealed after his death, and the third generation title was marred by the Brock Lesnar problem, though it has been recaptured from the man who defeated Lesnar.