TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Styles

TSM Fantasy Baseball 2006

My pitching has come together nicely, but my offence is revolting. When adding such notorious hitters like Scott Hatteberg, Mark Grudzielanek and Brad Ausmus significantly improves my lineup it must be bad. I knew as soon as Morgan Ensberg went cold i'd be doomed.

Wow, I didn't see this coming. Oh wait, yes I did. The Cranky Old Men are up where they belong in first.

No time to let up though, as I'm facing the Kings of Crunk this week who are only one game behind.

Im getting decimated by injuries and the like..now I've lost Eric Chavez for almost a week.

oh, and all hail me finding a 2nd closer in Tyler Walker..Devil Ray #3 on my team.

3 DEVIL RAYS!!! Although 2 of them are DL'ed right now.

I initially thought it was a mistake with Yahoo that I won 12-0 last week instead of 9-1, but apparently the Kings of Crunk didn't have enough innings pitched to qualify last week. Talk about a beating.

After my 3-9 start in Week 1, the Cranky Old Men have been an incredible 46-11, and I'm leading the league in home runs, wins, strikeouts, and holds. I really think I'm taking this league down this year.

The way that the minimum is set up makes it impossible to get any holds or saves without losing all of the categories.

I mean, if one of my starting pitchers goes 4 innings, that's it. I have no chance.

It's not hard to reach unless your pitching pulls a massive tank job. I've used three relievers in multiple weeks without issue.

As to how this happened to you, here are last week's stats for the Kings of Crunk:

(might be Tues-Mon since I went to the players tab)

SP: Dontrelle Willis: 2.2 IP

SP: Jon Garland: 5.1 IP

SP: Jeff Weaver: 3.2 IP

SP: Scott Kazmir: 7.0 IP

RP: Joe Nathan: 2.0 IP

RP: Akinori Otsuka: 2.0 IP

RP: Randy Myers: 0.1 IP

If you have two starters that don't come close to five innings, and one of your relievers only gets one man out all week, you don't deserve to win any categories. Just think of it like a real team. If your starters can't even make it to the 3rd inning, the best closer in the world's not going to win you a game.

If it wasn't for the inning requirement, then teams could just stock up on middle relievers and closers, put nobody in the starting spots, and coast to wins in saves, holds, ERA, and WHIP every week. I think it's only fair that you should need a real pitching staff to get through the week.

Also, since the cheap "stock up on relievers" theory wasn't viable before the draft, I don't think it's fair to change it now. If there's going to be any adjustment to the inning requirement, it should come this offseason at the earliest.

Im only going with 3 starters right now and I didnt even think about the min. innings..I might be screwed this week..well maybe I'll luck out. I've still got Mulder tonight, Sele Friday and Capuano Sunday. If they all go 6, I should pull it out. I was so happy that I was able to pick up a 2nd closer in Tyler Walker who has settled in as TB's closer.

Oh, and thats one Big Ass trade between Boras and Pawtucket..

Everyone on my team is up for trade aside from Pedro, and soon to be Johan Santana and Hanley Ramirez, though half my team is being traded already to get them. Whatever else is still around is fair game.

Naturally the day after i propose the trade Hanley pops his shoulder out, but i'm mainly getting him for keeper purposes so whatever, losing Ensberg and Damon will make my offence suck but then it's already sucked enough to have me in last place so that's nothing new.

On the plus side with Santana and Pedro giving me just about the most dominant 1-2 punch possible i could start 5 Jose Lima's along with them and still win most pitching stats.

TEN MAN BLOCKBUSTER!

Pawtucket Patriots get:

M. Ensberg (Hou - 3B)

J. Damon (NYY - OF)

T. Wakefield (Bos - SP)

K. Foulke (Bos - RP)

C. Hamels (Phi - SP)

Scott Boras Allstars get:

H. Ramírez (Fla - SS)

J. Randa (Pit - 3B)

Jo. Santana (Min - SP)

S. Baker (Min - SP)

J. Lieber (Phi - SP)

APPROVED.

Just your typical mid-May, ten player trade.

As for the minimum innings requirements, it was decided, like all the league rules by plurality voting by you guys.

I hadn't noticed it either but if more people think its a problem, speak up, and I'll see about changing it.

In case you were wondering why the Cranky Old Men are dominating so much, this might be why. Five players ranked in the Top 20 on Yahoo including:

(draft pick in parenthesis)

#1 Albert Pujols (1st rd, taken 1st overall)

#11 Aaron Harang (11th rd, taken 201st overall)

#13 Alfonso Soriano (acquired via trade, originally drafted 26th)

#14 Bronson Arroyo (16th rd, taken 320th overall) *STEAL OF THE DRAFT

#19 Josh Beckett (4th rd, taken 80th overall)

Oh, and my 3rd round pick was Jeter who's only ranked 30th by Yahoo, but when you factor in OBP as well, he's actually the top shortstop in the league.

Not to toot my own horn or anything, but with my 10-2 victory this week, the distance between 1st and 2nd is now greater than the distance between 2nd and 11th. Other than saves, (which I concede every week with no closer on my roster), I haven't lost more than two categories since Week 1.

Oh, I also have the top 2 hitters in Yahoo baseball now in Soriano and Pujols, I'm undefeated in wins, strikeouts, and holds, and this week, Coco Crisp returns from the DL to add some punch to the lineup. All right, maybe I did toot my own horn just a little bit.

Cranky Old Men rule!

Ive got like 4 players on the DL..thats why my team sucks. I keep having to plug holes with waiver wire talent which isn't gonna get it done.

I should be getting Cantu back next week though which will help.

I will trade Nathan and/or Otsuka for another quality starter or outfielder. A second baseman would be nice too.

Jose Castillo!

Figures he'd go off after I picked him up for 1 week to bridge back to Cantu.

3 HRs/9 RBI in the 2 games I've had him, 5 HR/12 RBI over his last 5 games.

Oh, and I'll consider trading Mark Mulder if the offer is right.

Scott Boras Allstars in ANOTHER 10 man blockbuster! Talk about revamping your team:

M. Lamb

I. Suzuki

N. Robertson

C. Cordero

A. Cook

to Komijul for:

M. Cameron

A. Béltre

J. Peavy

Ra. Ortiz

K. Ray

APPROVED!

Well, it looks like my dominance might be coming to an end for a while. In the very worst news I could hear as a fantasy owner:

Pujols out 2 to 6 weeks

All right, I guess the worst news would be "Pujols out for the season", but you get the idea. It's bad.

Well Iggy, it always happens that once the leader gets cocky, something happens. Sorry it was Pujols, I'm kind of glad I picked 2nd in the draft now.

Right now, I am hoping that Beltran is okay, and not out for 2-6 weeks like Pujols, though with Floyd out, Beltran pretty much has to play for them this week. It's easy enough to plug in Outfielders.

My Pitching is not the best, but Schmidt sure has been nice. Punting saves I was doing, might go back to that. But still, two months in and this is where I am? I can live with that.