TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dpac

HDTV

Banding is a big issue if you're going to be gaming.

I bought s Sony Bravia 40" 1080p LCD TV today, and a ViewSonic 24" monitor. The monitor has one stuck pixel that's viewable on a black background, otherwise it's incredible. I might return it tomorrow anyway, just because I'm a stickler for pixel issues. The size is pretty excessive too, as I didn't think there'd be such a huge difference from a 20.1" monitor. I might want to get a 22" monitor, but I've heard it's better to either get a 20" or a 24" because the 22 and 20 have the same native resolutions (meaning the 22" just has larger pixel size or something) whereas the 24" has the 1920x1200 resolution. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

So, out of stock on my Samsung, I put my eggs in one basket and, for the same price, got a 37" Toshiba.

2000:1 contrast ratio means the blacks are deep and full, white are clear and pure. StableSound is not revolutionary by any means, but my God, how did I go so long without it?

Like Marvin, I've always been way more into picture quality than sound, but I was instantly blown away by the clear sound and deep bass. And good lord, when I hooked up my 360 and played Tiger Woods 08.....what have I been doing the last few years? It's a four-figure set, but I have absolutely no regrets.

Signed up for NFL Sunday Ticket Wednesday, but the HD installation won't take place until Monday. I'm thinking of buying, and returning after the weekend, a set of rabbit ears so I can watch football in HD this weekend.

I'm going to be getting a new HDTV myself to replace the smaller 27" HDTV I have now.

I have about a 2500$ budget(High end).

I'm leaning towards sticking with Samsung, but may look at Sony etc.

Any thoughts?

My only real requirement is I want it to have at least 3 HDMI ports. One for the 360, one for the DVD player and one for the HD-DVR box.

Three HDMI could be tough, as they're not toooooo common.

But for $2500...you can get just anything you want in design or style.

I've seen quite a few TV's with them, they are just usually on the higher side price wise.

I just like to have that flexibility though.

Yeah, I guess that's fair, as my budget was 1000 or less. Still, I found lots with two ins, but none with more than that.

Absolutely, it makes sense to have more, though. Cable box, upconverting DVD, 360, for example.

Three HDMI could be tough, as they're not toooooo common.

But for $2500...you can get just anything you want in design or style.

I've seen quite a few TV's with them, they are just usually on the higher side price wise.

I just like to have that flexibility though.

If you are going above two (which is usually your cable/sat receiver and then another device) then I would suggest taking that money and getting a good HDMI switcher or a good receiver with HDMI inputs that can output to your TV.

Yeah, save your money (kinda) and get a switcher.

There really isn't much of a difference when it comes to TV's anymore. Just customer services. Sony's is really going down the shitter recently, samsungs can be quite decent, and oddly enough, in a effort to reverse their (earned) shitty customer service reputation, Philips probably has the best policy right now, although no one knows about it and/or don't believe them due to the CS being SO shitty with the last generation CRT's and DVD players.

I personally couldn't tell you about LG's Customer service but I heard that Vizio is either pretty decent or nightmarishly horrible.

Customer Service with these televisions is a really big issue, because of the incredibly high failure rate(well in comparison with other electronics) that LCD and Plasma televisions have.

I would rank them

1: Philips

2: Samsung(really hit or miss. if you hit, you will be happy. A miss can be annoying but they will eventually fold)

3: Whoever you want to name here

If you don't trust my opinoin on Philips having the best policy, I would go with Samsung (because honestly, the Philips policy, while great, is so easially exploited, I really do wonder if they will keep it as cut and dry in 3-5 years as it is now).

Unplug the cable that is going from your video source (cable box etc) from the box and TV and plug them back in. Have the TV off when you do that and turn it back on. Sounds like one is loose.

Its your convergence IC's on the convergence board. Thats what happens to projection TV's. If you are really tech savy you might be able to fix it yourself, but you would probably want to get it repaired and its going to run you 150-200 bucks.

Dude, its a 43 inch HDTV. Why would he spend a new 1300-1500 dollars instead of getting it fixed for a couple of hundred bucks?

I think I'm still under warranty for at least another week or so if I can ever find the fucking receipt.

My roomate keeps every goddamn receipt he gets, I've found one for when he bought a water at work last October, but I can't find this one.

Go ahead and call it in and just give the date when you bought it so you can get the service order in before the warrenty is over now. I doubt they will ask for a reciept over the phone, although I am not 100% sure because I have always ordered my electronics so I have a online reciept.

Did you register it after you got it?

That's not going to happen.

Dude, its a 43 inch HDTV. Why would he spend a new 1300-1500 dollars instead of getting it fixed for a couple of hundred bucks?

Cause if you find the right deal, you can get a better tv for a couple hundred more than the cost of fixing the tv, and who's to say it wont blow up again in a couple months?

Guest Vitamin X

I don't know where you could get a similar or better 43" HDTV for less than $500. Let me know if you could ever find one.

I saw a Hitatchi 51 inch projection HDTV on clearance for $599 at Sears a few weeks back. There was also a 42 inch Toshibia DLP Projection HDTV for $649 that was an open box model that looked fine. Granted youd have to be lucky that your store would have one, but you can find cheaper large TVs, especially these Projection models, on clearance for around that price. Projection HDTVs are going bye bye in favor of LCD/DLP/Plasma as those are getting cheaper for the same sizes as the Projection models and the sizes on the cabinets of the projection models are larger.

I wouldnt pay $200 or $300 to fix a tv that will more than likely crap out on you again..

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_15342.aspx

Sony Introduces New TV Technology That May Replace LCDs Or Plasmas

Tuesday October 2, 2007

CityNews.ca Staff

oct0207-sonygetty.jpg

As if the choice wasn't hard enough. If you've purchased or are thinking of buying an HDTV, you've already been confronted with an array of bewildering choices. There are plasmas, LCDs and even rear projection sets available, all with great pictures, various screen sizes, different features and endless price tags.

And just when you think you had it all figured out comes something new. Sony, the sometimes struggling Japanese electronics giant, has introduced yet another format into the war for space in your living room. It's called OLED, short for organic light emitting diodes. The set offers a remarkably crisp picture, is great at displaying fast moving images, offers excellent sound, has a lifespan that allows it to be played eight hours a day for more than 10 years and is ultra thin, with a thickness of just 3 millimetres.

But this TV may not be ready for prime time. Because of the nature of the technology, Sony can't make sets with screens that are any bigger than 11 inches. And its initial price tag of just over US$1,700 likely won't make you forget about those 40, 50 and even 60 inch sets on the showroom floor.

But Sony wanted to introduce it now, so when improvements are made, you'll know about it. And they have another motive behind manufacturing what may be the world's smallest big screen TV. "I want this world's first OLED TV to be the symbol of the revival of Sony's technological prowess," explains company President Ryoji Chubachi. "I want this to be the flag under which we charge forwards to turn the fortunes around."

Sony has struggled, losing ground to Apple in MP3 player sales, watching Nintendo take a huge share of the video game player market and fending off endless competition from makers of other giant TV sets. And it was exactly a year ago that Sony was publicly embarrassed by the largest recall of laptop computer batteries in the history of the industry, over fears they could start a fire.

But despite the small screen, those behind the new technology believe it's the next big thing. "I don't think OLED TVs will replace LCD TVs overnight," predicts Sony's Katsumi Ihara. "But I do believe this is a type of technology with very high potential, something that will come after LCD TVs."

The company is rolling out what it sees as its saviour slowly. Sets will go on sale solely in Japan this December, and the electronics giant will only make 2,000 of them a month. If they gain favour and the screen size expands, they hope to be able to say they led the next generation of TV sets right to your living room. Or in this case, OLED them there.

How do OLED TVs work? http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/oled.htm

Oh that crazy Sony. Discuss...

Photo credit: Yoshikazu Tsuno/AFP/Getty Images