TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SilverPhoenix

College Hoops 2/27/2006 - 03/12/2006

It's not like GW went on some big losing streak without Mensa-Bonsu. Aside from the goofy Temple loss they won every other game without Pops in the lineup. I don't believe in punishing teams for stuff like that. As much as I detest Cincy as a U of L fan I found it offensive in 2000 when they dropped to a 2 seed due to Kenyon Martin's injury. If a team earns a 1 seed, they should get a 1 seed. Or whatever seed GW was going to be (I'm thinking 4/5).

It all comes down to a matter of corruption basically. Everyone with any sort of common sense knows Tennessee isn't one of the 8 best teams in the nation, so why the fuck would they get a 2 seed unless someone either has a hard on for the RPI or was corrupt? Tennessee finished 2 games behind LSU overall in the SEC, lost to them head to head, and finished a round behind them in the conf. tourney. Yet they are seeded 2 spots ahead of them? WTF? This is coming from someone who is hardly an LSU fan, in fact I have them losing to Bradley.

What is with the mid-major love fest anyway? You put most of these teams in the Pac 10, Big 12, Big East, ACC, SEC, and Big Ten and they're not in the tournament or they're a bubble team fighting to get in.

Guest Princess Leena
What is with the mid-major love fest anyway? You put most of these teams in the Pac 10, Big 12, Big East, ACC, SEC, and Big Ten and they're not in the tournament or they're a bubble team fighting to get in.

How do you know that, since they very rarely get the chance to play the top teams under neutral circumstances.

Plus, it's part of the charm of March Madness. Every team has a shot. Nobody would really care if 13th seeded Michigan upset Kansas in the 1st round. But, if Bradley does, that's special. If the best 64 teams were put in the tourney... more than half the teams in the country would have nothing to strife for.

And that is why NCAA basketball >>> football.

Billy Packer, is that you?

On mid-majors not hacking it in the big conferences: that's not really true. College basketball isn't like college football; a mid-major team with one or two great players or with a unique coaching scheme (40 minutes of hell at UAB, for example) can be competitive in every game they play. Additionally, if any of these mid-major teams were in the Pac 10, Big 12, Big East, ACC, SEC, and Big Ten, they'd have the wider recruiting base and reputation that benefits all those teams. This also isn't like college football in that there are 3 times as many teams in division I. You simply can't exile that vast a percentage of teams to the no-tourney graveyard.

And Leena's right. Would this tournament really be more fun with FSU, Michigan, and Colorado in as 11 seeds? No argument from me about the boneheaded Air Force and Utah State picks, but the rest are fine.

Guest Princess Leena

The women's selection show is in an hour. ESPN makes another feeble attempt to get people to care.

Would this tournament really be more fun with FSU, Michigan, and Colorado in as 11 seeds? No argument from me about the boneheaded Air Force and Utah State picks, but the rest are fine.

More mid-major teams there are, the better it is for me. I don't like the Air Force pick at all, I can live with the Utah State one.

Utah State's all right. I probably would have put Missouri State and Hofstra over both of them.

I had Hofstra in over George Mason, mostly because of the Skinn thing, Michigan over Bradley and Cal before the PAC 10 tourney, and Missouri State over Air Force.

Of the bubble teams that missed, I thought only Michigan got screwed. Thought they were gonna get in for sure.

To put this in perspective, Air Force finished with an RPI of 50. Missouri St. had an RPI of 21 or so. How the fuck can these people sleep at night knowing stuff like this? Hofstra was 30 in the RPI I might add.

Utah St. was somewhat dubious I guess but their RPI was at least 46, which does in fact put them in that 12 seed range. The irony is Air Force was 50 so that does put them in as a 13 seed. But under this same insane reasoning, Missouri St. should be a 5-6 type seed and Hofstra should be a solid 8. I'd really like to know the committee's reasoning on Air Force and Utah St. though. How exactly did these teams (without many OMG type wins, mind you) jump over other teams? I reasoned that Mizzou St. was fucked over due to the committee flat out refusing to put 5 from the MVC. Ditto Hofstra and them not wanting 3 from the Colonial (though why George Mason over Hofstra, when Hofstra beat them twice including the conf. tourney?).

Creighton was asking to be excluded when they lost to Bradley in the MVC tourney, so them not getting in at 39 was no shock. If they weren't gonna put in Mizzou St. at 21, Creighton was fucked at 39. Cincy is the main team (#40 RPI) that people are harping on, but I'm never going to weep about a team with double digit losses being left out. Besides, isn't there some rule about a certain amount of teams can't face each other in the same region?

St. Joe's actually finished 43 in the RPI, but at 18-13 they were dubious. But if you asked to take them or Air Force in a game, I'd take St. Joe's. Maryland might have gotten in as a 12 or so had they made some sort of run in the ACC tourney, but they didn't. Michigan sealed their fate by losing to Minnesota in the 1st round as well.

Dama, mid majors in the tourney is a major part of what makes the first 4 days of the tourney so much fun. Some little known jobber 14 seed coming from nowhere to upset a major team.

To be fair, Tennessee did go 3-1 against teams ranked in the Top 10 of the Sagarin ratings. The only other team that can boast that is Duke. When Tennessee's playing at their peak, I think they can beat anyone and are legitimately one of the top eight teams in the country.

The problem is they tend to get cocky and dick off when they think they have an easy opponent. That's why I've got them losing to Wichita State in the second round.

OU's women get a 2 seed after going undefeated in conference and winning the conference tournament? Bullshit.

It was bullshit enough that Sophia Young got player of the year in the Big XII over Courtney Paris.

Whats even more is that Tennessee women got a TWO?! seed after being number one in the RPI and playing to toughest schedule, along with getting sixteen wins versus the top 40. I had them as the number two OVERALL team. 28-4 playing that kind of schedule, winning the SEC tournament against a one seed, LSU, and THIS is what you get?

Preposterous.

Whatever, Tennessee wins the next 3 women's titles anyways with their eyes closed, book it.

Whats even more is that Tennessee women got a TWO?! seed after being number one in the RPI and playing to toughest schedule, along with getting sixteen wins versus the top 40. I had them as the number two OVERALL team. 28-4 playing that kind of schedule, winning the SEC tournament against a one seed, LSU, and THIS is what you get?

Preposterous.

Whatever, Tennessee wins the next 3 women's titles anyways with their eyes closed, book it.

Tennessee's women get a few points held against them because they lost 4 times... Although 2 were to #5 LSU and #4 Duke (with the Duke one being lopsided, 53-75), the other 2 were to Florida and Kentucky who, while good, are not elite.

LSU's 3 losses were to #8 UConn, Tennessee, and Florida. The UConn loss was by 3 and the other ones were by 1.

Duke only lost 3 and they were to #8 UConn, #3 Maryland, and #1 North Carolina.

Ohio State only lost twice, to #5 LSU and Purdue, and North Carolina only lost one, to #3 Maryland, with Carolina playing in an exceptionally tough conference at that.

Iggy, Tennessee isn't shit. They lost to UK this year on SENIOR NIGHT. Think about that. Losing....to THIS UK team...Senior Night. That's a flat out credibility killer. The funny aspect is that I actually have them going 1 round further, since I think even less of their potential opponents (Wichita St. and Seton Hall). Then I have UNC putting a 20+ point assrape on them.

I've watched quite a bit of the SEC this year and Florida is really the only team in it that impressed me to any degree when they brought their A game.

Okay guys, here is what I have in my bracket followed by my reasoning. It might sound insane but it makes sense to me.

Atlanta:

I have TX A and M over Cuse in that 5/12, mainly because I NEVER trust a mediocre team that gets insanely hot for 1 week to get a seed they flat out do not deserve. Cuse won't have much left emotionally and I think A and M pulls off the mild upset. Oh, and I have A and M playing Iona, mainly because I have a running joke of picking Iona whenever they make it (don't ask). Besides, LSU impresses me not. Probably one of the weakest teams to ever go 14-2 in a major league.

For some reason the thought of an A&M/Iona second round game made me laugh a little bit. Actually, more than a little. It might happen and all, but I can imagine the broadcasters trying to sell it to the public.