TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

World Baseball Classic

South Africa threw out their best pitchers and kept it competitive for awhile. Kudos. I fear the wheels may fall off the wagon before long.

Also, I don't know if there's any merit to this, but it might be possible that the Canadians are at a distinct disadvantage, since no team comes from a colder climate. There isn't much baseball in Canada this time of year.

I was kind of cheering for the South Africans there... but then Canada came back, and now I don't really give a shit again.

Today's schedule. All times Eastern.

Cuba vs. Panama (1pm, ESPN2)

Bruce Chen takes the mound for Panama. This is a very intriguing game. The Cubans have never faced a real MLB tested team, and the Panamanians have several players, including Carlos Lee. Panama showed they can hang with the better clubs.

Canada vs. United States (4pm, ESPN2)

A win by either team virtually assures a second round berth. The U.S. will start Dontrelle Willis against Canadian starter Adam Loewen. Loewen's a great prospect, but he's not MLB ready. I question the wisdom of placing him out on the mound against the best of the US. Canada also has a VERY lefty heavy lineup. Regardless of talent, this is a bad matchup for the Canadians.

Italy vs. Venezuela (7pm, 10:30pm on ESPN Deportes)

Freddy Garcia starts for Venezuela, while Red Sox' prospect Lenny Dinardo starts for team Italy. It's tough to get a real gauge on the Italians' true talent level. They do have legitimate hitting, and they can make this competitive. The Venezuelans for their part can not afford to sit on their best relievers again just because they do not happen to have the lead.

Puerto Rico vs. Netherlands (7:30pm, ESPN Deportes)

Joel Pineiro vs. Rob Cordemans. The Dutch tried to create a team of ringers, but failed to grab any of the Dutch ancestors they placed on the provisional roster. Cordemans went 13-1 with an 0.77 ERA in the Dutch Major League last year. It is sometimes difficult to face a pitcher of his nature because few scouting reports exist. Just look at how Puerto Rico struggled against Lenin Pecota.

South Africa vs. Mexico (9pm, 10am tomorrow on ESPN Deportes)

If MLB wants the WBC to work, they are going to have to manage better television coverage then THIS. South Africa was supposed to be toast, but they kept Canada battling until the last inning. Here they battle Francisco Campos, the strikeout king of the Mexican League. Darryn Smith is the rumored starter for South Africa. The problem here is that Africa needed to use its best pitchers yesterday, and none of those guys are available for this game.

The Canadians needed to put Loewen in today in order to save Bedard for the second round... at least, that's what Ernie Whitt said on Sportsnet.

Guest Princess Leena

ESPN isn't showing any of the night games?

Not good... especially since Thursday really starts their non-stop conference tourney coverage.

The Dominican Republic/Venezuela game was pretty exciting. Venezuela needs to win two straight now though, which will probably mean we get to see K-Rod instead of Carlos Hernandez.

Good to see Beltre come out strong in that game.

So far is 4 to 4 in the Panama Cuba game, damn i wish i could watch it live, damn you work, damn you to hell.

Panama has 2 runners on board with 0 outs, lets go!

Is there any reason that guy didn't just take one in the ribs to win the game? You need to have your priorities straight.

Biggio has like fucking armor, so its easy for him. I think Rivera saw what happened to his teammate and thought better of it.

Is there any reason that guy didn't just take one in the ribs to win the game? You need to have your priorities straight.

That was probably just reflexes taking over. He seemed pretty pissed at himself after inadvertently (I think, anyway) dodging the ball.

Pedro's not surprising. He's such a poor Spring pitcher that he probably wouldn't benefit the D.R. even if he did pitch. And Vlad Guerrero has a legitimate reason.

No he didn't.....Vladimir didn't even come to the country to be at his cousins' funeral. He just used it as an excuse