TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
therealworldschampion

Spring college football practices are starting...

Uhh...

SEC EXTENDS OFFICIAL INVITE TO UNIVERSITY OF OKLAHOMA

BIRMINGHAM (AP) -- The University of Oklahoma has been extended an official invitation to join the Southeastern Conference. SEC Commissioner Mike Slive telephoned both Oklahoma Athletic Director Joe Castiglione and University of Oklahoma President David Boren to inform them of the news.

In a press release, Slive cited the SEC's admiration for how OU's football and basketball teams have recruited and conducted themselves, and noted that "they possess all of the attributes, methodology, and notoriety that every SEC program strives to achieve." Slive later stated, "we would be proud and honored to have them as an SEC school."

In an unrelated development, Big Red Sports & Imports, a Norman, Oklahoma auto dealership, has been named "The Official Auto Dealership of the SEC."

OU officials could not be reached for comment.

I'd love to see this happen.

They'd need to add a team to the SEC East. If they did that, they should try to pull Texas along and re-align the conference.

Why would OU want to go to a conference where nobody dominates for long periods of time when they could stay in the Big 12 where they could dominate forever if they so chose? In the Big 12 they usually just have to worry about Texas. In the SEC they'd worry about everybody. The Big 12 is generally the 3rd or 4th best conference.......why jump to the 1st when you could dominate in the one you're in and win national titles?

Are you sure that isn't a joke? Ya know because so many teams in the SEC have committed violations and OU has committed some in football and basketball recently?

Why would OU want to go to a conference where nobody dominates for long periods of time when they could stay in the Big 12 where they could dominate forever if they so chose? In the Big 12 they usually just have to worry about Texas. In the SEC they'd worry about everybody. The Big 12 is generally the 3rd or 4th best conference.......why jump to the 1st when you could dominate in the one you're in and win national titles?

Are you sure that isn't a joke? Ya know because so many teams in the SEC have committed violations and OU has committed some in football and basketball recently?

Well yeah, I mean they should seriously just make the SEC logo a pair of hands with fingers crossed hoping that they don't get caught...

I can't see why any team would want to move to the SEC actually. It's easy to dominate the other conferences(except maybe the Big Ten but even then) but nobody dominates the SEC.

If anyone moved to the SEC(OU, Miami, USC, Texas, FSU, VA Tech, Michigan, OSU) they'd be leaving somewhere where they had a huge shot at consistent domination to a place where they'd be fighting balls out every game.

Anyway yeah it just seems like a joke making fun of the SEC and it's various scandals over the years.

Florida State actually could've joined the SEC in the early 1990s when they were looking to join a conference, but opted to join the ACC. Can't blame them however, they may not have won their national title in 1993 if they had to play an SEC schedule (SEC title game, an undefeated Auburn team, and a solid Bama team).

This is the calm before the storm. Sooner or later Dama will start going crazy posting about rooms spinning, a Texas conspiracy, Adrian Peterson mysteriously getting his leg broke falling down some stairs mid-season, and OU losing to everyone in the confernece...

not necessarily in that order.

And if you think OU is bad... Tennessee had a second player arrested this week! That's 4 this off-season now. We are the Bengals of college football!

Rest of the conference media polls.

SEC

East

1. Florida (49)

2. Georgia (42)

3. Tennessee (9)

4. South Carolina (4)

5. Kentucky

6. Vanderbilt

West

1. Auburn (87)

2. LSU (12)

3. Alabama (5)

4. Arkansas

5. Mississippi

6. Mississippi State

Big Ten

1. Ohio State

2. Michigan

3. Penn State

The Big Ten only announces the top three. Lame.

MAC

West

1. Northern Illinois (39)

2. Toledo (10)

3. Western Michigan (1)

4. Central Michigan

5. Ball State

6. Eastern Michigan

East

1. Akron (35)

2. Miami Univ. (11)

3. Bowling Green (2)

4. Ohio (2)

5. Kent State

6. Buffalo

Don't think Conference USA does one.

I mentioned in the other thread about how Thompson wouldn't play QB because he can't throw as well as the two kids, he can run but can't make people miss, and he hasn't taken a QB snap since the beginning of last season.

Anyway I just realized that the Red River Shootout got more interesting.

It was going to be an experienced QB and AD(who when healthy killed texas) vs. Texas and their inexperienced QB and really good RB Jammal Charles who gashed OU last year.

Now it's breaking down into a battle between AD and Charles for RB supremacy in the Big XII.

Guest Princess Leena

Buffalo will beat Kent St. again this year. They will not finish last. And Hawk34 will cry.

Oklahoma seems to have had success with quarterbacks who have weird "H" last names.

I think they need to recruit Scandanavia better.

Get some Hjenriks or Hjufgufstahffels on the team.

Dama, you should suggest this to the higher-ups.

Big Ten

1. Ohio State

2. Michigan

3. Penn State

The Big Ten only announces the top three. Lame.

You're pretty safe having that be the pre-season Top 3 every year.

From an ESPN.com article:

By booting his quarterback, Stoops might have jeopardized another season. At least he didn't sacrifice his integrity, which is something Barry Switzer might have done.

Too true.....man everyone loves taking shots at Barry. I guess since he was before my time(i mean i was born in 84) I don't get a lot of the hate for him.

CFN "redid" a whole bunch of their Big 12 preview material in the wake of the Bomar boot. It's on the front page looking all intense, but it basically boils down to "Texas probably has a better chance of winning now." Cutting analysis, guys.

I agree that this is probably good news for OU in the long run. It will hurt them the first few weeks this season while Bradford or whoever the QB of the future gets comfortable, and it will actually probably cause them to lose to Texas.

However, in the long run, it's got to be good for the program. I mean can you ever see Rhett Bomar leading a team to a national title? A mediocre QB with a coach's support can hang over a program like that for years and keep them from ever achieving greatness. (See Simms, Chris.) I'd say that this move might end up winning OU a national title in either 2007 or 2008.

I guess Thompson was the best option at QB.

He's a decent runner(hasn't shown the ability to make people miss though) and he knows the system and has been around the program for a while.

Halzle just sucked. His JUCO team went 1-9 and he threw 3 picks in the spring game.

Bradford is a freshman so he could develop seems how this will be Thompson's one and only year.