TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
converge241

Wrestlemania 23 at Ford Field Detroit

If that's the case, then it depends on how deep Vince wants to dig into his pockets for the match and what the asking price for a job between the 2 biggest superstars in WWE history is.

One interesting thing would be to see what trick Hogan would pull if he were the one slated for the job. Would it be the kickout right at the 3 count and then no sell the effects of the stunner? Would it be the hamming it up and "Aw shucks, I lost but focus on me" deal? Maybe Hogan would take a real shitty stunner? Then what would Austin do to counter Hogan's heat stealing tricks? Would he flip Hogan off to his face immediately after one of the tricks? Would he offer Hogan a beer afterwards and then ham it up to counter Hogan?

These are intriguing things I need to know and why this match should happen, dammit!

I know. I remember the guys at LAW radio saying Rock got bamboozled by Hogan with his antics and was the younger and more naive legend compared to Austin. They believed Austin would have countered Hogan's babyface antics in the match. I swear Rock/Cena and Hogan/Austin can sell the stadium. If Cena continues to have this nuclear heat and The Rock returns the fans are going to go apeshit to see him dethrone Cena. I also got the impression that Hogan kind of no-sold the Austin/Hogan chants at the HOF, but it could be to not upstage Bret as well. Who knows? A year from now things could be very different for real. Look at WM 13 compared to the heat and anticpation of WM 14 or WM 2 compared to WM 3.

Hogan/Rock was a much different case than Hogan/Austin would be. It was a combination of backlash being built against The Rock, and that the SkyDome crowd BADLY wanted to cheer Hogan, heel or not. Remember, they were cheering for Hogan before the match even started. I can't see any way that a crowd would turn on Austin like Toronto turned on The Rock.

Guest scottb75
Hogan/Rock was a much different case than Hogan/Austin would be. It was a combination of backlash being built against The Rock, and that the SkyDome crowd BADLY wanted to cheer Hogan, heel or not. Remember, they were cheering for Hogan before the match even started. I can't see any way that a crowd would turn on Austin like Toronto turned on The Rock.

Well Detroit is close to Canada. Though you are probably right I don't see the same kind of crowd turn that Rock/Hogan had. I suspect it might be more of a 50/50 situation like Hogan/Warrior unless one of them goes heel.

To help drudge up more Austin/Hogan stuff, on the Torch audio update, Keller says that Austin had been offered and turned down a seven figure payday to do a match with Hogan at this year's WM. Wade says that his sources close to Austin say he is completely at peace with being retired from the ring and not wrestling again.

To help drudge up more Austin/Hogan stuff, on the Torch audio update, Keller says that Austin had been offered and turned down a seven figure payday to do a match with Hogan at this year's WM. Wade says that his sources close to Austin say he is completely at peace with being retired from the ring and not wrestling again.

Good. It's nice to hear of a retired wrestler who isn't desperate to get back in the ring.

I'm sorry but there will never be another match like Rock/Hogan, and I'm telling you this because I was there live.

I attended both IYH: Canadian Stampede 97 and Wrestlemania 18. Both those events had in most people's minds the biggest crowd heat for a match, and I thought Rock/Hogan blew Hart Family Vs. Austin/Dust/LOD/Shamrock out of the water, because of the mass of people in the SkyDome compared to the amount of people in the Saddledome.

I'm sorry but there will never be another match like Rock/Hogan, and I'm telling you this because I was there live.

I attended both IYH: Canadian Stampede 97 and Wrestlemania 18. Both those events had in most people's minds the biggest crowd heat for a match, and I thought Rock/Hogan blew Hart Family Vs. Austin/Dust/LOD/Shamrock out of the water, because of the mass of people in the SkyDome compared to the amount of people in the Saddledome.

It's impossible to say no match will ever equal that heat, because we don't know the future. Austin/Hogan, most certainly has that ability. People say no match will ever reach the levels of Hogan/Andre again, and that is probably true. Sting/Hogan, Austin/Rock II, Austin/Taker, Flair/Hogan I, Hogan/Rock, Rock/Triple H, Warrior/Hogan were close (gee, see what names popped up alot?) but nothing touched Andre/Hogan and most likely won't. That's not to say there will never be another mainstream transcending event like that again, unlikely but it's possible and it's just as possible that something outdoes Rock/Hogan, on the heat level.

It's impossible to say no match will ever equal that heat, because we don't know the future. Austin/Hogan, most certainly has that ability. People say no match will ever reach the levels of Hogan/Andre again, and that is probably true. Sting/Hogan, Austin/Rock II, Austin/Taker, Flair/Hogan I, Hogan/Rock, Rock/Triple H, Warrior/Hogan were close (gee, see what names popped up alot?) but nothing touched Andre/Hogan and most likely won't. That's not to say there will never be another mainstream transcending event like that again, unlikely but it's possible and it's just as possible that something outdoes Rock/Hogan, on the heat level.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but I really doubt it. Who knows, I will likely attend WM23 if it's in Detroit. I say Rock/Hogan has more heat, because I really doubt the fans will backlash on Austin like they did Rock. It was amazing, and I swear in my section there was only 3 people cheering for the Rock, and I was one of them(The other was a Bernie Mac look alike and some italian guy behind me).

This time the backlash is probably going to be on Hogan, if Austin plays it smart in the build.

I don't know, it's going to be hard to backlash against Hogan.

Atleast with The Rock, he brought upon himself, because his face character was getting stale. Where as Hogan isn't nearly on WWE TV enough to become stale.

Guest dlb19338

Any chance Bret Hart is part of WM23? Guess ref in the main event of Hogan/Austin?

This is the stupidest post in a while.

In a trail about Hogan-Austin being able to sell out Detroit, it is stupid to think of ways to make the event bigger? After Bret got inducted into the HOF it seems like things are "ok" btw him and Vince...so I didn't think this was so stupid, to at least thrown it out there and see if anybody had any insight. Sorry I don't have your intimate knowledge of the WWE and am reduced to stupid thoughts......

Any chance Bret Hart is part of WM23? Guess ref in the main event of Hogan/Austin?

In a trail about Hogan-Austin being able to sell out Detroit, it is stupid to think of ways to make the event bigger? After Bret got inducted into the HOF it seems like things are "ok" btw him and Vince...so I didn't think this was so stupid, to at least thrown it out there and see if anybody had any insight. Sorry I don't have your intimate knowledge of the WWE and am reduced to stupid thoughts......

It's just that it's been said for months now that Austin/Hogan isn't going to happen and you said it like it's gonna happen...and I doubt Bret will have any part of WM, but if he did, why would he be a special ref for Austin/Hogan if it did happen? Don't you think if he did something it would be something other than reffing a match that really has nothing to do with him?

Guest dlb19338

It's just that it's been said for months now that Austin/Hogan isn't going to happen and you said it like it's gonna happen...and I doubt Bret will have any part of WM, but if he did, why would he be a special ref for Austin/Hogan if it did happen? Don't you think if he did something it would be something other than reffing a match that really has nothing to do with him?

I recently read thru this thread and didn't realize that Hogan/Austin was definitely not happening...so excuse my confusion. However, given that, since Hart can't wrestle anymore I thought he could be a guest ref (and not have to take any bumps) and still bring some star quality to the show. Plus, don't they have plenty of time to build up any storyline they want - show is not until April. What else could Bret do other than manage or ref?

I wish people would just let Bret enjoy his retirement. He said at the HoF ceremony (which alone most of us thought would never happen) that he was doing fine and doesn't need to come back to the ring.

Guest dlb19338
I wish people would just let Bret enjoy his retirement. He said at the HoF ceremony (which alone most of us thought would never happen) that he was doing fine and doesn't need to come back to the ring.

Good point....although, like boxers, do wrestlers really retire? Maybe temporarily. My favorite - Roddy Piper's farewell match at WM3. I was really young and thought "wow, this is the last time I'll see Piper!" Bummed me out! Now, in 2006, he is still wrestling. :-)

Bret Hart is a different story. If he wanted to come back, he would have. Many times over. He's been offered numerous chances to come back and turned them all down. The only reason he did the DVD and HoF stuff was because Vince was going to bury him six feet under with a DVD based entirely around Montreal. Bret has no reason or incentive to come back again, especially as the third wheel of a match where he'd be secondary to two other people.

Do people remember what Bret looked like at the HoF ceremony? He isn't "The Hitman" anymore. He'd look like a shell of his former self out there, and I'd rather remember him the way he was.

Bret Hart will refuse to be at WM23 because the main event is going to be HHH vs. HBK. Duh.

Sadly, the only main event I can seeing headlining is either John Cena Vs. Randy Orton or Batista Vs. The Undertaker, but of course that probably won't happen.

I still say they should do Cena vs HBK for the WWE Championship, but I doubt that will happen because it would be something fresh that people would actually want to watch.