TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SuperJerk

Congresswoman hits cop

The thing with Thurmond though is that he changed with the times...he adjusted his views once he figured out he needed the black vote, so he was actually supported by both whites and blacks.

Not defending the guy, but that's the historical truth.

I hate how people like Jesse Jackson (a self-appointed "leader") scream racism about every little thing. If he's so concerned about bettering blacks in this country, maybe he could get them to better themselves through education and family values, and not blame whitey for every little problem.

No he didn't.

And seriously, the blacks in this country are doing just fine. No more or less fucked up when it comes to education and family values than any other race.

...Thurmond...was actually supported by both whites and blacks.

[Thurmond] never received more than 20 percent of the black vote

WaPo

Friday, June 27, 2003; Page A01

I hate how people like Jesse Jackson (a self-appointed "leader") scream racism about every little thing. If he's so concerned about bettering blacks in this country, maybe he could get them to better themselves through education and family values, and not blame whitey for every little problem.

Jesse Jackson really had nothing to do with this story, though.

Yes, the inner-city education system can do wonders for black youth...

Yes, the educational system in the inner city is messed up (I have first hand experience with this), but that's like blaming the lab rats for being trapped in the maze.

Apropos of nothing in particular, I heard the other day that when you adjust for wealth, blacks actually outperform whites academically.

My position has always been that if people actually look at the stats and ignore all the proproganda that goes into reporting, they would see that race has absolutely jack shit to do with crime, education or values. Everything actually based upon economics. The poorer people will be in poorer neighborhoods where access to a life of crime is greater, the education system will be less than adequate, and the value system will take a backseat to survival.

Blacks were locked into a certain place economically for years and bout 40 years ago, the glass ceiling was SOMEWHAT lifted. There are more and more wealthy or middleclass blacks with every generation. Its the natural flow of things. Give it another 50-60 years and blacks will be economically on par with other groups within this country.