TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SilverPhoenix

College Hoops: 4/13/2006 - Midnight Madness (10/16/2006)

Quite hilarious quote from Lute Olson in the ESPN Pac-10 summer preview:

"That's the standard by which our program is measured," Olson said. "We won 20 games last year against the toughest schedule of anybody in our league and there were still some wondering whether we'd get into the [NCAAs]. The schedule is just as tough this year. We have never ducked people."

This coming from a man who once cancelled a game against Saint Joseph's in the Palestra in 1996 due to a weather report forecasting a snowstorm...

*Dusts this Thread off* (Yes, I know, it's College Football season, but what the hell.)

It's near October, which means Midnight Madness is in 2 weeks. So some activity should be expected to keep this on the first page from now on.

Well, the tradtional College Hoops Lull from June - August has passed, and now the first pre-season rankings are coming out as we speak. I personally need to get my hands on the preview rags to see what these guys are thinking how this season will go.

As far as news goes, the biggest story has been the Dunquese shooting, which left most of the team wounded, and one member of the team with a bullet in his head. Here's to hoping that the Dukes can rebuild their program after this.

With that said, I leave with the Top 144 for 2006 presented by College Hoops.net, and no one should be surprised who is number 1. (which will be revealed on the first day of the season.)

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/preview/2006/

Quite hilarious quote from Lute Olson in the ESPN Pac-10 summer preview:

"That's the standard by which our program is measured," Olson said. "We won 20 games last year against the toughest schedule of anybody in our league and there were still some wondering whether we'd get into the [NCAAs]. The schedule is just as tough this year. We have never ducked people."

This coming from a man who once cancelled a game against Saint Joseph's in the Palestra in 1996 due to a weather report forecasting a snowstorm...

I seem to recall the St. Joseph's coach making a joke about how funny he found it that a team full of McDonalds' All-Americans were ducking a team that was just a bunch of regular kids eating at McDonalds'.

If Oregon doesn't win 20+ games this year Ernie Kent is gone. They have too much talent to win only 14 games again. Also Ernie scheduled the most cupcake out of conference schedule EVER. The only real team they play is Georgetown.

Nova should make the NCAAs again despite the losses to the NBA and graduation if Sumpter is fully healthy. I can't wait to watch Scottie Reynolds in action.

SJU will miss the NCAAs again. The whining from Hawk Hill will be hilarious.

Temple is a couple of years away, lost a lot of the starters and they're adjusting to Dunphy.

I don't think LaSalle will fall off that much despite losing Steven Smith, Gianni's a good coach.

The way I see this season coming down to is this.

SEC Vs. Big East - I have a feeling that this will be the big conference debate this year. With the SEC fans promoting their twin towers in LSU and Flordia and their strong 3 in Tennessee (Yes, I am recognizing that the Male Volenteers will be a factor this year, despite being their biggest detractor on this board last year.). While the Big East fans will stand behind their strong depth and myraid of challengers to go to Atlanta. I have a feeling that the Final Four and the National Championship may be decided between these two conferences.

Can Greg Oden be as good as advertised - If so, we're going to have a 2 Team Big 10 race between the F*ckeyes and the Badgers. Otherwise the Badgers are going to runaway with the Big 10 Championship.

Will Any Major/Mid-Major stand up and try to repeat what George Mason did - I'll be the first to say, that if you're expecting this, then you may be waiting at least 5 years. And if you totally beleive the major conference pundits (who are still pissed at the Valley) then the NBA age requirement will stamp out any revolutions. However, I think this year will prove that these teams will not be going away, and will be a factor.

The next thread is going to have a lot of interesting debate.