TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

ESPN sucks, so do thread closers

Not to mention that it is clear proof that in the media's eyes once you win A RING in the NFL you are "bulletproof" regardless of what came before or comes after winning your ring. So Peyton Manning and Ben Roethlisberger can never win another postseason game the rest of their careers will be listed among the great "winners" in NFL history just because of their one championship ring.

I don't think this applies to just the NFL... it seems to happen in all the sports where a notable choking player/coach/team wins their ring and suddenly they can't be called chokers any more, even if they pull chokejobs after winning their ring

Was it just me, or during PTI, did Bud Selig say he wished the whole Barry Bonds chase for 715 never happened?

Was it just me, or during PTI, did Bud Selig say he wished the whole Barry Bonds chase for 715 never happened?

I thought he was talking about the attention whore who bought the ball. But I can see how someone could think the way you did.

Dear ESPN:

GO Fuck youself and the horse you rode in on.

From

Stanford

Man I can't wait till Monday to see the talking heads explain how USC lost.

Not to mention that it is clear proof that in the media's eyes once you win A RING in the NFL you are "bulletproof" regardless of what came before or comes after winning your ring. So Peyton Manning and Ben Roethlisberger can never win another postseason game the rest of their careers will be listed among the great "winners" in NFL history just because of their one championship ring.

I don't think this applies to just the NFL... it seems to happen in all the sports where a notable choking player/coach/team wins their ring and suddenly they can't be called chokers any more, even if they pull chokejobs after winning their ring

See this is what happened with Brian Billick on the Ravens though somewhat different. His team wins Superbowl 2nd year he gets here and everyone hails him a genius. But now look he can't win big games anymore. Seriously Ravens lose just about every big game postseason game they play these days. But what happens? People still defend him cause of that Superbowl. And then he had a 13-3 season and then his offense laid an egg to the eventual superbowl winners should had won that game, would had the AFC Championship at home.

What ESPN does is deify players. They make these players and coaches seem like GODS. Pro sports is all done by hyperbole but they take it to another level.

The "ring" is a worthless stat. Cause you know who other quarterbacks have rings? Tony Banks and Chris Redman. Also Priest Holmes got a ring as a starting RB in a superbowl.

Stephen A Smith talking about the begining of the NBA preseason today on his show while the MLB playoffs and NFL regular season are in full gear.

Have to love ESPN hiring people who only have a clue about one sport

:( I don't see what I said wrong.

I am saying that what ESPN does is make pro players like peyton manning seem like actual GODS. And that getting "a ring", agreeing that's worthless, only good to the player doesn't mean he's actually good. Not that Peyton Manning isn't GOOD, he's just not GOD, like Mick Foley ;).

Fans I am not trying to start any trouble. Sorry if you might thought that.

Stephen A Smith talking about the begining of the NBA preseason today on his show while the MLB playoffs and NFL regular season are in full gear.

Have to love ESPN hiring people who only have a clue about one sport

Now you know how I feel when they talk about the first week of baseball and fucking mini-camp during the start of the NBA playoffs. And don't get me started with how they shit all over the WNBA...

The WNBA is still around? How? This remains a mystery to me, because after the Comets won the first handful of titles I figured the league was done, nobody can recover from a non-competitive dynasty through their first few years...

The WNBA is a nothing league that is hemorrhaging money, whose average attendance has dropped every year since 1998 (its second season), and only still exists because David Stern refuses to admit defeat and fold it. The players don't deserve to be shit on, but the execs sure do.

The lead article on the main page on espn.com is Howard Bryant discussing how last night was the end of the Yankees dynasty. I'm sorry, but the "dynasty" ended in November of 2001. I understand that the tone of the article expressed a symbolic end because it might be the last time Torre, Rivera, etc. are with the team, but I'd wager good money that next year's team won't look a whole lot different and they end up right back in the playoffs.

The lead article on the main page on espn.com is Howard Bryant discussing how last night was the end of the Yankees dynasty. I'm sorry, but the "dynasty" ended in November of 2001.

They did make it back to the WS in 2003, which gave them six WS appearances in eight years... remember too that they were only an out away from going to a seventh WS in nine years.

I'd say the dynasty end was the collapse against Boston, because they were still a good team up until that point, and after that is when all their woes began.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

That's accurate. They haven't won a postseason series since they beat the Twins in '04. After the Red Sox won the pennant, they've just shown up and nothing more, not unlike the last years of the Braves.

Yeah I don't think there is this pinpoint moment where the Yankees dynasty was over. It's not like the Mantle era being over after the 1964 World Series loss to the Cardinals, when the Yankees started sucking immediately after that.

I just got an HDTV and Stuart Scott, so far, is the one who has turned out the ugliest from the increase in picture quality.

Guest Smues

OH MY CHRIST It's a Stuart Scott Poetry Jam. I didn't think these were actually real. This is so much worse than even I imagined. Please kill me now.

Okay, I've never felt compelled to post something in this thread until right now.

Stu Scott is doing a poetry slam to tonight's Celtics highlights. I want to stab him.

Guest Smues

I sat through the whole 3 minutes of that...that...I don't know what words are needed to describe it. I feel like I need to go to rape conseling now.

Eat shit, the lot of you.

Whether you like the WNBA or not, you can't deny what CanadianChris said. The WNBA only exists because David Stern is too stubborn to close it.