Rey Mysterio Jr. vs Fit Finaly

Chris Benoit vs Randy Orton No Holds Barred

Chris Benoit vs JBL Steel Cage Match

Mark Henry vs Rey Mysterio Jr. Smackdown 1/20/06

Chris Benoit vs Randy Orton Smackdown Match #7 of best of 7

Money in the Bank from Wrestlemania which I personally feel is underrated

Trish Stratus vs Mickie James Wrestlemania

Undertaker vs Kurt Angle 2/19/2006

These are just some matches that come to mind. Benoit vs JBL is probably my fav right now. Feel free to mention something that's not here.

Why would the Benoit/JBL cage match from SD be any sort of MOTY candidate? It was purely routine stuff.

I haven't seen Angle/UT yet so I can't comment on it. Thus far I'd have to go with either Edge/Foley from WM or the MITB. Those Benoit/Orton matches are all snoozers to me, relying way too much on Orton's sleep inducing restholds (Benoit does literally 90% of the decent stuff in all of them).

Taker vs. Angle from NWO rather easily. That one will probably survive til the end of the year and beyond. It was the best match since Eddie/Lesnar two years prior. The crisp, errorless wrestling combined with a great competitive story and some amazing counters by Angle really make this match special. **** 1/2 from me.

Rey vs. Finlay is the TV MOTY so far in my opinion. It might hold up through the year, but there's a very good chance SD could put out something better. Still, this match had some stiff, hard-hitting action with a cool run-in finish (don't say that very often) that made for some good viewing. *** 1/4.

Mickie vs. Trish deserves some kind of recognition too. Calling it the "best women's match" of the year doesn't do it justice since no WWE women's match in history has even come close to touching it. Great storytelling, perfect character work, and pretty solid wrestling as well. The lone downfall of the match is the lame announcing. My biggest complaint is not attributing the "botched stratusfaction" to Trish's leg being worked over the whole match. Anyway, I'll give it the token "Best WWE Women's Match Ever" award, but I'll also tack on the "WM 22 MOTN" award, which is probably more meaningful. *** 1/2.

To be honest, while I am usually critical of WWE's stuff, I will admit the first quarter of 2006 has been above almost all of 2005. 2005 was basically a 3 way dance with Shawn, Kurt and Shelton and sprinkle in a couple Eddie and Rey moments but ultimately had a pretty down year when only one WWE offering cracked my top 10 (NA) of 2005.

Angle/Taker, probably is the early candidate for WWE MOTY but looking off WP's list, you have to put aside his usual Benoit fan-dom. The JBL match along with the two Orton offerings weren't that great. Edge/Foley, worked better on the traditional qualifications for MOTYC.

Mickie Vs Trish, will probably maintain it's status of "Better then it had any right to be" of 2006

Guest wildpegasus
Why would the Benoit/JBL cage match from SD be any sort of MOTY candidate? It was purely routine stuff.

I haven't seen Angle/UT yet so I can't comment on it. Thus far I'd have to go with either Edge/Foley from WM or the MITB. Those Benoit/Orton matches are all snoozers to me, relying way too much on Orton's sleep inducing restholds (Benoit does literally 90% of the decent stuff in all of them).

I started to go into why on deathvalley so if you wanna check out the Benoit/JBL thread there feel free to do so. Everybody seems to be loving it on the other boards that I go to.

Benoit/JBL ruled -- even the sleeperhold RRR :D

Basically, this is a candidate for the roughest and stiffest looking match in the history of the WWE. It was structured well, had great selling, was smartly laid out and had a good although not terrific flow. The spots with the sharpshooter and crossface early on in the bout were terrific. The ending featured some swell stuff as well. It was one of the more believable matches I've seen in a while from the WWE.

The moveset was terrific in particular Benoit's chops to JBL's forehead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and his rapidfire headbutts which I so, so cherish. Bradshaw brought some nice offence too.

Basically, this is one of the hardest fought matches I've seen in the WWE. A really good, believable battle that was smartly worked.

Basically, this is one of the hardest fought matches I've seen in the WWE. A really good, believable battle that was smartly worked.

The same applies to Angle/UT at NWO, but on a much higher level.

Angle/UT.

Guest wildpegasus

The same applies to Angle/UT at NWO, but on a much higher level.

THat match is really good but it's not nearly as rugged as Benoit vs JBL. For instance, tHere's nothing that even comes close to Benoit's repeated headbutts like we saw in Benoit vs JBL and that was just one move! I preffered the selling here and how it just gave the bout an even more grueling atmosphere.

It Taker vs Angle a smartly worked match? Oh yeah; no doubt about it.

London & Kendrick vs MNM from last week's Smackdown.

Angle/UT at NWO. IMO, this match was not topped by any WM22 match and there's a good chance it will remain MOTY.

Angle vs Undertaker was my personal faorite. I got a small NOAH feeling fromt his one which was good. They allowed a slow build and everything was done really well. Probably will hold up as one of the top 3 WWE matches of this year.

I liked the Benoit vs Orton match from the best of 7. The non-gimmick one was better according to me. Just hard hitting good stuff.

Finlay vs Rey was also good. They really clicked despite so different styles.

I would also like to add Foley vs Edge from mania which I thought was excellent. Good execution and great build to the finish.

London & Kendrick vs MNM from last week's Smackdown.

That match was fun, but not MOTY quality. We've just been starved for decent tag stuff lately. Give those two teams some ladders and put the titles on the line though and we might have a contender.

Then again I regularly mark out over London and Kendrick so my opinion isn't really objective.

I haven't seen all of those matches, but from the ones I have seen, I'd definitely go with UT/Angle. That was just a fanstasticly worked match, much better than anyone would have a right to expect from Undertaker at this point in his career.

Kind of funny the women's title match is the only strictly RAW match on that list. You'd think there would be more RAW matches we could come up with, but I can't think of any right now.

Kind of funny the women's title match is the only strictly RAW match on that list. You'd think there would be more RAW matches we could come up with, but I can't think of any right now.

I listed Foley vs Edge as well. But maybe Foley is free to go from brand to brand. I dunno.

Besides, Mickey vs Trish was good and once of the better US women matches I've seen in a long time. However that doesnt mean its anywhere near MOTY status. It was fun. MOTYC? Not a chance in my book.

Foley vs. Edge; I haven't seen Undertaker vs. Angle.

Despite hearing many good things about SmackDown, I haven't seen an episode before they did their year-end special. Haven't seen that much RAW either.

Angle-Taker from NWO, followed by probably Edge-Foley and Mysterio-Finlay. I'll have to rewatch the cage match between JBL & Benoit, because I didn't think it was nearly as amazing as WP is making it out to be.

The cage match had a top rope German, which you don't see everyday (or ever) in the E. Other than that, nothing terribly MOTY worthy happened... not saying a big spot makes something MOTY worthy, but it can trick people.

Guest JoeJoe

Basically, this is a candidate for the roughest and stiffest looking match in the history of the WWE.

You make Nash marks look cool.

And spare me any lengthy stereotypical Benoit-Rey-Eddie fanboyish match break down analysis of this match to show us why its the most stiffest in WWE LOLZ history. I'd rather smell horseshit.... oh wait.

Guest wildpegasus

Basically, this is a candidate for the roughest and stiffest looking match in the history of the WWE.

You make Nash marks look cool.

And spare me any lengthy stereotypical Benoit-Rey-Eddie fanboyish match break down analysis of this match to show us why its the most stiffest in WWE LOLZ history. I'd rather smell horseshit.... oh wait.

Taker vs Angle looks to be in the lead which is what I expected.

Back to JoeJoe here -- I'm not quite too sure what you're getting at here. Name a match that gave off a rougher, stiffer or as the WWE would say "physical" vibe than this one.

Ignore him WP, he's just trying to cause trouble. He's been proven as an imbecile plenty of times.

Not that it's MOTY, but the Benoit and Lashley/JBL and Finlay tag match, and the following week's six man, were both damn good. Especially Benoit getting revenge for the hand injury. That rocked.

Raw has been the worst this year. The only matches that I have at least kinda enjoyed are Trips/Show (WM tourno) and Cena/Show. Oh, and the Cena/Edge blowoff. They were all ok matches. I think there's another one but I've forgot. I did love Edge/Foley though.

Taker/Angle is probably MOTY.

I like it when someone uses the old "you only like that match because he's your favourite wrestler". I guess it's completely out of the ordinary that your favourite wrestler happens to be one of the best, hence thinking they have the best match, like WP. Whattafool.

I'm not feeling the Foley/Edge love so much, and I'm a big Edge fan. It seemed like this match (and feud) was just a carbon copy of Foley/Orton in 2004. I'll give 'em props for a really cool finish, but other than that there's not too much we haven't seen before. Stiff metal object shots, barbed wire, tacks, the usual. Thing is, minus the finish, everything about the Foley/Orton match was way better. Plus the match was really short. Definitely too short to warrant a flaming table bump, but since that's a WM moment forever now, I'll give them a little slack.

Guest wildpegasus
I like it when someone uses the old "you only like that match because he's your favourite wrestler". I guess it's completely out of the ordinary that your favourite wrestler happens to be one of the best, hence thinking they have the best match, like WP. Whattafool.

I was really dissapointed with the Benoit vs JBL Wrestlemania match (though I knew coming in that it wasn't going to be an epic battle at Mania) so it's just not a case of me liking this cage match because Benoit was in it. Of course, Benoit brings to the table stuff that I want to see in wrestling so I'm naturally going to tend to prefer a bout of his over someone else's. Same thing with Kobashi, Bret Hart, Ben Basserb, Dynamite Kid, Marc Rocco or Mayumi Ozaki.

No, you got it wrong. That shot was aimed at Just Joe. My point was that he's your favourite wrestler BECAUSE he is the best, so of course you're gonna like his matches more, and that's ok.

Unless you already knew that. I can't tell.

I haven't really seen a lot of WWE matches this year so I'll have to go with Edge vs. Mick Foley as my WWE MOTY so far.

However, I'm interesting in the Kurt Angle vs. Undertaker match from No Way Out. That thing seems to be getting a ton of love round here.

I haven't really seen a lot of WWE matches this year so I'll have to go with Edge vs. Mick Foley as my WWE MOTY so far.

However, I'm interesting in the Kurt Angle vs. Undertaker match from No Way Out. That thing seems to be getting a ton of love round here.

I'd go with Edge vs. Foley too. I tried watching Angle/Taker from No Way Out after reading all this praise it got, but I fell asleep half way into the match.

And ignore JoeJoe.

He's been proven as an imbecile plenty of times.