TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
daileyxplanet

OAO Anime/Manga Thread

A broadband-impaired friend had me d/l the Rosario+Vampire anime. Never heard of any of it before but checked some of it out. I think he'll be disappointed because it's honestly pretty awful. Like, Tenchi Muyo meets Darkstalkers, but stupider. On the other hand, I hear it's pretty much completely the opposite of the manga. Anyone familiar enough to break it down, or is it an avoid either way?

(Also: Japan, this loli shit is getting out of hand, srsly.)

One of my things lately, has been to watch shows I've heard about but never seen (Evangelion was one of these) and the other is to go through shows I have seen again. Either in Anime form or Manga.

A few week or so ago, I watched the first few episodes of Yu Yu Hakusho again. I had never finished the show. Way back when, Toonami went to once a week, and I fell out of watching it. The episodes reminded me why I loved the show, and I decided to go back through it. But since I didn't feel like getting the episodes, I opted for manga.

The manga is pretty much just like the anime. Some small stuff, but nothing overly major. And the series is great heading into the final bit of the Dark Tournament. Yeah, there's some power creep, but nothing that big. In the end, strategy can beat power, and there's actual THOUGHT to the fighting unlike say...DBZ where "I'M SO MUCH MORE POWERFUL THEN J00" happens in every fight.

Then there's Younger Toguro. And the massive increases in power. That's fine though. I mean, everything's still making sense, and there's staying true to the roots of the show still. So what if there's some bursts of power. It's rooted in the myth of the show.

Then there's the Sensui arc.

Has there *EVER* been a series that cannibalized it's story, it's setting, and even the very fundamentals of it's logic like this? That wasn't filler? I can't think of anything.

The big one, is the introduction of the Spirit Realm's SDF or whatever their named. This, once thought about critically, mortally wounds the entire series so deeply that tt's the kind of plothole I've never seen before. Spirit Realm has an ARMY of "A" class (Another thing. Power levels for a show where logic and tactics can beat power up till this point. BAD NEWS.) warriors. This is never mentioned until this point. Ever. Not once. And when you think about the fact that they have an army that ASSASSINATES demons, you kind of realize...Yusuke has no reason to exist. The only two missions he ever undertakes, The three artifacts, and Yukina, are the only ones that need "Detective" work. This army could have handled EVERYTHING else. Even Toguro isn't as strong as *ONE* of these guys. Entire Arcs could have been handled within seconds with these guys.

Then there's small ones. Characters are introduced with "powers" that they spend forever explaining, but ultimately they mean nothing to the overall story. The power creep goes into hyperdrive. The main villain suddenly has a GOLDEN AURA and CAN FLY. Yusuke gets a Plotkai burst of power the likes of which I've never, ever seen and I watched DBZ and then HE can fly too. It ultimately ends with Yusuke transforming, growing super long hair and being insanely powerful. It sounds...familiar.

And then you have the entire final "arc" which is barely an arc. It's like halfway through the managaka went "...this sucks..." and decided to just sum it all up to give the readers one off stories about the people in the show.

The Sensui arc just...flies in the face of everything Hakusho established. It's kind of like the Kenshin Anime, how everything fell off a fucking cliff after Kyoto. But that, that was all filler made by the TV network. The manga is still quite good. This is ACTUAL canon story. This is *INTENDED* lobotimizing of the storyline.

I'm the type of person, where a plothole will drive me fucking insane. I can safely thank Yu Yu Hakusho and it's plotholes it opened on it's own willfully that I was unable to really sleep last night. Thanks Hakusho!

It's RANMA 1/2. And it's a fantastic anime series. After falling in an enchanted lake the boy gets the ability/curse of changing into a girl when he's doused in cold water and reverts back with hot water. It's fricking hilarious and I would strongly recommend it to anyone.

I reallyreally liked the Hidan/Kakuzu arc in Naruto Shippuuden, and I miss it so bad compared to what's happenning now =(

Yeah I'm just finishing it up now. Hidan is hilarious tell everyone to "Fuck off" and bitching at Kakuzu.

In other news, Mandalay Pictures acquired the film rights to "Full Metal Panic". Although they apparently want Zac Efron in the Kosuke role. I want to get the role of Webber, even though I lack the mullet.