TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
daileyxplanet

OAO Anime/Manga Thread

Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpuchou. One of those series that could be called horror or supernatural, with an action bend. Kakurenbo is nice, but entirely too short at only 30 minutes. I always recommend Higurashi as it could be called horror, but if you're going strictly through Netflix, then don't bother, since it's in limbo and unfinished. Tokko, but I'm unfamiliar, or Gantz, which is largely unliked. Saikano, which people are mixed on. Oh. Shadow Star Narutaru and Alien 9, they're alright.

There really isn't much to horror in anime or I just don't know enough to find it. There are series that would make for a good transition, but still haven't made the move from manga or other mediums. Or are given various twists, like sci-fi. Or they're considered horror to the Japanese, derived from their myths, folklore and stuff, but aren't particularly scary or gory.

Well, definitely go with Ghost in the Shell, both Stand Alone Complex and the movies. Try the rest of Satoshi Kon's stuff too. Including Perfect Blue and Paranoia Agent, there's also Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers and Paprika to check out. Once you finish with Evangelion, try some other similar robot anime, like Escaflowne (beware the dub), Brain Powered (heard good things), Big O and RahXephon. I don't think they're completely finished with their releases, but give GaoGaiGar and Gurren Laggan a try, if you want some more over the top action. Code Geass is airing soon through Adult Swim. For comedy, definitely Cromartie High School.

Puny Puny Poemi: I haven't bothered to check and see if it's on Netflix, but I've wanted to watch it since seeing ads for it on the Excel DVD's way back when.

Satoshi Kon stuff: I have all that waiting. I'm expecting goodness.

Robot anime: I don't really like most that stuff. In Evangelion, the robots seem secondary, I think that's why I like it. I remember liking Big O's style when it was on Cartoon Network, though. It made me think of TAS Batman. That's not a bad thing.

And no, Jingus, I've never watched a single full episode of Cowboy Bebop. What am I missing?

As for the horror stuff, I'm disappointed, but it's understandable. I was really kind of hoping at least one of Ito's manga had been anime'd. Of course, I was all excited about the Uzumaki live action movie until I actually watched it.

While typing all of this, I found Slam Dunk on Netflix and added it. I know it's kind of exactly what I wasn't asking for, but I really enjoyed the first couple of volumes of the manga that I've read. Is the anime much different?

And no, Jingus, I've never watched a single full episode of Cowboy Bebop. What am I missing?

Golden awesomeness. It can take a few episodes to understand the show's groove, but by "Ballad of Fallen Angels" you should be loving it like a fat girl loves cake. I'm only a casual fan of anime, and don't care for much of the kiddier Dragonball/Inuyasha/whatever type stuff, but Bebop is just fucking amazing. Plus the entire series is a slim trim 26 episodes (plus an optional feature film which is pretty cool, but not mandatory), so you don't have to watch for three years straight to find out why Vegeta hates Goku.

Aw. I unequivocally love robot anime.

I don't really believe any of those play off the robot as the main centerpiece or character. It's definitely a symptom in shows like GaoGaiGar and Gurren Lagann, but those are just so cool, stylish, blatantly over the top and fun that I can't help but recommend them. This is true to a lesser extent in Eureka Seven, which I forgot to recommend, or RahXephon, too, but there's more going on there, as in plenty of mecha. RahXephon is similar to Evangelion in practice and gets a lot of flak for it, but I'd recommend it to anyone that likes Evangelion.

Cowboy Bebop is definitely recommended. I flip constantly between that and Samurai Champloo as my favorite of the two. If nothing else it's one of those staples that most people have seen at least once. If you liked Big O's style, you'll like Bebop's noir. I can't think of much that's bad about it.

I also forgot to mention Boogiepop Phantom as far as horror/supernatural/suspense/whatever goes.

Thirding Cowboy Bebop. I love the music and the characters are all great. You'd think that the characters are all rather stereotypical (hero, femme fatale, sidekick, kid hacker) but they actually take the time to establish their backstory so you see that they are more than what you expect.

Did I mention I love the music? 'Cause I do.

Count me in for Cowboy Bebop too, one of the best anime ever crafted. Music, story and drama are all perfectly woven together. Oh and throw some comedy just for good measure.

FYI Code Geass premieres tonight on Adult Swim at 130.

The dub isn't bad, really. Watched it on the AS site.

I'm going to get the DVDs anyway, and I like the fact they're releasing the entire show in three chunks.

Robot anime: I don't really like most that stuff. In Evangelion, the robots seem secondary, I think that's why I like it. I remember liking Big O's style when it was on Cartoon Network, though. It made me think of TAS Batman. That's not a bad thing.

I'm not really into the Robot Anime stuff either, but I did like Full Metal Panic! a whole ton. The robot stuff is there, but not all encompassing.

I'm going to get the DVDs anyway, and I like the fact they're releasing the entire show in three chunks.

Yeah, it was alright, but Bosch again? Blah. I don't recall him ever doing psychotic, though, so I wonder how well he can pull that off.

Yeah, it was alright, but Bosch again? Blah. I don't recall him ever doing psychotic, though, so I wonder how well he can pull that off.

Bosch can do no wrong by me. He was the sole highlight of a generally piss-poor AX 2007.

I've stumbled across quite a few current season anime that have me waiting every week for new episodes

Soul Eater, Kamen no Maid Guy, Allison and Lillia, and I just found one called Library War that seems interesting.

A good season for shows in my humble opinion.

Could I watch the Cowboy Bebop movie if I've never seen the show at all, or just saw one episode that didn't focus on the main characters?

I watched the movie on a recommendation before seeing any of the episodes and I was able to pick it up pretty well. Watching the episodes up until the movie (it takes place late in the run, like 20 episodes or so) would probably help you understand the interactions a bit better, but I wouldn't say it's mandatory.

...20 episodes is late into the run? How many episodes does it have? I was under the impression there were a few seasons worth of the show.

...20 episodes is late into the run? How many episodes does it have? I was under the impression there were a few seasons worth of the show.

There are only twenty-six episodes. That's how long most anime series'/seasons run, with some exceptions (Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi only had fourteen).

There are only twenty-six episodes. That's how long most anime series'/seasons run, with some exceptions (Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi only had fourteen).

I'm assuming that 26 weeks is the length of the Japanese TV season or something like that, since most anime titles get 26 or a multiple of that. As stated, there are exceptions though. Full Metal Panic: TSR only had 13 (which had it's good and bad points, but left me wanting more overall).

There really is no TV season in Japan or rather, it's nothing like our format. There's always something new airing every few months with no room for repeats as we're used to. So technically a season consists of three months or 13 or so episodes, which goes for both anime and live action shows. You know how there's often an OP/ED change, some big event, or recap to get everyone caught up, and always 13 episodes in? Because that's a season. It just so happens that some, more popular shows fall around 26 episodes or more. It's presumably easier in both countries to book steady schedules and pull advertisers with a few or some strong shows of length, rather than with a slew of 13 episode shows, although anime seems to be trending toward the latter.

And there is nothing bad about TSR.

After a long period of not watching anime, I inadvertently discovered Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei after finding a purported Phoenix Wright anime OP on YouTube. I'm most likely late jumping onto the bandwagon, but I'm loving every minute of what I've downloaded so far.

By "bad" I meant it was too short. It tightened the plot up but I wanted more of everything.

Okay.

True. Like you said, it was a benefit to the series that it was so short. I don't think it would have had the same impact if it was 24+ like the original FMP was. Even if that might have produced more closure, depending on what the next two books had in store. But the long delay between Second Raid and the next installment hasn't helped the wait any.

After a long period of not watching anime, I inadvertently discovered Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei after finding a purported Phoenix Wright anime OP on YouTube. I'm most likely late jumping onto the bandwagon, but I'm loving every minute of what I've downloaded so far.

Good choice. SZS was one of my recent favorites. Shaft may be my favorite studio as well.

Since it's going to be in the next Super Robot Wars game, I finally decided to get around to watching The Big O. Great show, even if I didn't particularly care for the twist at the ending.

Big O

Damn CN for not funding a third season.

Macross / Robotech was one of the greatest oldschool animes ever made.

This maybe just petty whining on my part, but couldn't they have skipped jacking most of the bits from the original Macross and try crafting their own story? It's shit like that which made me despise Gundam SEED(not counting the horseshit called Destiny).

Opinions on some of the stuff I'm watching currently:

Code Geass R2- I'm 5 eps in and I already want Lelouch to put a bullet in Rollo's head. Goddamn stoic cliche characters...

Macross Frontier- After they stopped apeing shit from the original Macross, it's gotten pretty good. Could have seriously done without the main male character looking like a bitch, though. Too many bishies running around in anime these days.

Toshokan Sensou- Ugh. Almost everything on this show is a cliche. Would have been nice if the creators had tried to have some fun with the goofy "War Over Books" concept instead doing the usual cookie-cutter "bumbling idiot joins the war effort with a pissy commanding officier who knows he/she's not as bad as they are made out to be".

One Piece- Yeah, I know it's shounen, but fuck it, I love the Thriller Bark arc and the last half of it in the manga was fuckin' awesome.

Bleach- Not watching it til the filler is finished, but Hueco Mundo being Soul Society Redux is fuckin' annoying.