TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
daileyxplanet

OAO Anime/Manga Thread

Finally, a place for otaku and casual fan alike to discuss all things anime and manga, excluding Cosplay, which already has a thread.

Feel free to give tape/DVD/manga reviews, share news regarding, and discuss anime and manga alike.

------

Currently I'm really into Love Hina, Excel Saga and Samurai Champloo.

Finally, a place for otaku and casual fan alike to discuss all things anime and manga, excluding Cosplay, which already has a thread.

Feel free to give tape/DVD/manga reviews, share news regarding, and discuss anime and manga alike.

------

Currently I'm really into Love Hina, Excel Saga and Samurai Champloo.

Excel Saga is excellant, although the last episode and Puni Puni Poemy, it's sorta sequel OAV go for gross instead of funny. Love Hina is good, but the OAVs past the Christmas special are so concerned with NOT advancing the story that they loose a lot. I've never seen Champaloo. If anyone is interested, Best Buy(or at least the one I work at) has the complete Record of Lodoss War Chronicles of the Heoric Knight for $17. I've only begun watching it, but I enjoyed the old OAVs and it got good reviews as I recall. Anyone else here like Project A-Ko or Urusei Yatsura?

Everybody needs to watch Bleach, its probably one of the better animes in the past couple of years, well aside Naruto that is. Any other Naruto fans?

Everybody needs to watch Bleach, its probably one of the better animes in the past couple of years, well aside Naruto that is. Any other Naruto fans?

The manga's okay, but it strikes me as DBZ with ninjas, which is fine, I like DBZ to an extent, but the overhype it's getting is a tad silly. Did Bleach get a US video release yet?

not yet, lets hope Viz doesnt fuck it up... Have u seen any. And Naruto is kinda like DBZ with Ninjas except a lot more action packed, my only gripe was that at the begining in every battle they would do flashback sequences it got tiring. This is supposedly the last week of fillers. Finally!!! Project A-ko is ok but you guys need to watch Dragon Half.

Nope, no Bleach for me, I got out of the fan sub scene. And as for Dragon Half....yes, I need to Netflix that sucker. In a similar vein, how do you feel about Slayers?

Slayers is good, not wow but its a fun lil anime to get into. Also you have to check out Magical Shoppping Arcade Abenobashi if you havent seen it, wow just wow!!!

I love "Cowboy Bebop" and "Samurai Champloo", especially the soundtracks. Also, "Lupin III" is great. I dig old school animation. Oh, and there's "3x3 Eyes" and "Hellsing". As far as movies go, "Ninja Scroll" and "Akira" are all awesome. Anything from Miyazaki is awesome beyond belief.

As far as guilty pleasures are concerned, I've admitted several times that I liked "Super Milk Chan". Yes, it's stupid, but damnit, I think it's funny. Also, theres "Hamtaro".Say what you will, but little Hamsters saying things like "Kush Kush" is great. Oh, and there's the first three "Urotsukidoji" OVA's. It may be tentacle hentai, buy it's got an interesting story, and a bad ass anti-hero main character.Plus, all of the Freudian excesses suprisingly work, as they give it the feeling of the animated equvilant of an splatterpunk novel. Oh, and the animation is pretty good for it's time.

You know, I mentioned this in another thread, but I would love to see a post apocalyptic George Romero inspired anime with zombies.

Zombie Anime would rock..... Lain is a very very good anime if you can get into it, it will fuck with your brain. You have to give it your full attention, if you like it then afterwards rent Paranoia Agent. I also highly recommend Ghost in The Shell SAC and Azumanga Daioh (its a cute anime but its really funny)

Chobits is a wonderful little series with irresistably cute characters and a very deep plot for such a short series.

index01.jpg

Also, in the line of Anime Horror, I enjoy what I've seen of Pet Shop of Horrors.

Here's a question for all of you in this thread:

What anime got you first wanting to start watching anime?

...for me, I'll admit this...it was Sailor Moon.

Since then I've tried to expand my horizons on them...but it's hard where I live.

Azumanga Daioh rules all. I think the first anime I saw was either the heavily edited DBZ or Ronin Warriors, but the first anime series I got hooked on that I knew was anime was Gundam Wing

My very first anime exposure was...

noozles.jpg

An anime picked up by Nick Jr. back in the day. The little girl is given a stuffed koala bear which comes to life when it rubs noses with the girl. Hilarity (?) ensues.

speed_296.jpg

Everyone knows this show.

And the one that made the biggest impact...

Sailor%20Moon%20R%20the%20Movie.jpg

The first two seasons played on syndication on the UPN (wasn't named that then) affiliate. I watched the show every morning before school. It was fun times. By the time the newer seasons aired on Cartoon Network, one was chastized for watching such a girly show. So I watched it in secret.

I've seen the live action series and I wish I could see more, but don't tell anyone. Shhhh.

stars.jpg

The first anime I ever saw? Possibly either Kimba the White Lion or Speed Racer when I was a kid, but neither made me have an overwhelming interest in watching anime specifically.

The first anime series that had me crazy hooked on the TV was Mazinger. I don't know how many people here have even heard about this series.

Hopefully this thread lasts longer than the last couple of OAO Anime threads that have gone the way of the Dodo here on TSM.

Guest wildpegasus
Here's a question for all of you in this thread:

What anime got you first wanting to start watching anime?

...for me, I'll admit this...it was Sailor Moon.

Since then I've tried to expand my horizons on them...but it's hard where I live.

Well, it is a very good show that builds very well to some great climaxes.

I don't know which anime got me watching the genre. It was a combination of reading I guess and thinking back to animation shows I had watched as a youth -- The ones from Japan always stood out.

Astroboy probably. Great imagination, robots and a show that made me think as a youngster.

Appleseed -- Loved this as it really stood out from the live action and animation I was watching at the time.

A Heidi movie

A Jungle Book anime Tv show

A couple of very rare shows I don't even know the name too.

Shows that I have liked over the last year are:

The Tiger Mask animation series from 1969 A++ with some of if not the best fights I've ever seen. Chalk full of great physcology

Howl's Moving Castle

First 2 volumes of Gatchaman

my first anime was Unico and the Island of Magic, but the ones that got me watching other ones were AKIRA and Urutsei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer

Guest wildpegasus
My very first anime exposure was...

noozles.jpg

An anime picked up by Nick Jr. back in the day. The little girl is given a stuffed koala bear which comes to life when it rubs noses with the girl. Hilarity (?) ensues.

speed_296.jpg

Everyone knows this show.

And the one that made the biggest impact...

Sailor%20Moon%20R%20the%20Movie.jpg

The first two seasons played on syndication on the UPN (wasn't named that then) affiliate. I watched the show every morning before school. It was fun times. By the time the newer seasons aired on Cartoon Network, one was chastized for watching such a girly show. So I watched it in secret.

I've seen the live action series and I wish I could see more, but don't tell anyone. Shhhh.

stars.jpg

We've got a bunch of Sailor Moon addicts on the board! Count me in as one too. I've watched the entire series and except for some repitition (which in some ways wasn't bad) and some annoying comedy (I suppose the comedy bit might work on the younger set) I thought it was great stuff. Yes, I can admit I watched it.

It caught me at exactly the right time. I was starved for anime at the time/was not quite yet jaded to Tv or movies and needed somthing from TV to quench various hungers I had . It was a series that had a gradual build over time, low miniskirts, intrigue, emotional scenes, great music, the dramatic cool action scenes that anime does so well, stuff I'd never seen anywhere before and mystery. There wasn't anything else like it on TV. They even had a wrestling episode. What more could you want?

Man you just took me way back with Mazinger.. Ive been hooked on it since i was a lil kid. I remember watching it when i was like 4 and thinking that it was the coolest cartoons ever cuz it showed robots getting destroyed and people getting hurt (yes i was a twisted lil kid). I actually have all the episodes and movies for it. I also remember all the super robots from the 70's from Gaiking to UFO Grandizer. I never got into Kimba but i remember Ninpu Kamui Gaiden also known as El Ninja Kamui in spanish... Dude i feel old :(

Let's see how long this one lasts.

Having finally caught up through the magic of YouTube, I find Naruto and Bleach are pretty overrated, Naruto more so than Bleach. Don't get me wrong, I like both, but the DBZ comparison isn't far off in either instance. In Naruto's case it's been hurt badly by all the awful filler arcs, so thankfully they're getting away from it. Better that than going off in a completely different direction like a lot of anime tends to do, I suppose.

Yeah, Bleach got licensed and is due to premiere on Adult Swim in late summer/fall, I forget which, so expect DVD releases then. Viz is one of the better dub companies, so it'll hopefully be done well.

Cromartie High School is awesome. It's like a dryer, more subdued Excel Saga with all the random weirdness, with a classroom setting, so fans of Azumanga should feel at home. And Freddie Mercury is in it. Highly underrated. I can't express it in mere words.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is an early contender for best new anime of the year. Interesting characters. Interestinger story. Great design and cinematography. Barely a month in and it's already huge. The next big thing.

Stand Alone Complex is great (and there are plans for a new OVA/movie thing, which is all the more better). Full Metal Alchemist came from nowhere to really pull itself together in the last half of the series. Champloo- good, Bebop- slightly better. Trigun will always be one of my favorites, along with Kenshin, Hellsing and Gungrave. Noir was good. Madlax, by the same company, not very.

RahXephon is superior to Evangelion, take that Eva fanboys. Read or Die OVA- great and fun, Read or Die TV- average. I wish Adult Swim would grab some Full Metal Panic. Eureka 7- not very good thus far, but it's supposed to get better. Yu Yu Hakusho is always fun... old, but probably the first to take the DBZ formula and do it right.

I'm about to Netflix Serial Experiments Lain, anybody here seen it?

No. Or at least not yet. I'm preparing to. It's supposed to be weird, dark, and all that crap. Though if you like it, you could try giving Boogiepop Phantom or Texhnolyze a whirl, which I have seen. From what I know of Lain, Texhnolyze is probably closer to that, but I highly recommend Boogiepop as well.

Edit. I can't believe I forgot Paranoia Agent. There's another series that's probably close to Lain, Texhnolyze, etc. I recommend Satoshi Kon (creator of Agent)'s other work as well.

First anime I ever saw. Battle of the Planets/G-Force, Voltron, Robotech, if any of them truly count, since I wasn't aware of what I was watching at the time, not to mention Robotech and BotP/G-Force were so chopped up they barely resembled the anime they were based on. My true answer is probably DBZ, then Tenchi.

mazinger.jpg

mazinger07.jpg

Mazinger for those who didnt know what he looked like

I agree with you and your thoughts on Naruto i really like it but the filler arc really hurt it. Thankfully Bleachs filler arc so far is better. I liked Trigun a lot but the ending left a sour taste in my mouth i thought it was really weakly done, they couldve done so much more with it. Ive seen part of Gungrave and ive like what ive seen so far, im currently watchin Blood + and its pretty good, you guys should deff check it out.

Yeah, Trigun kinda got the shaft. Average at best design and animation, the story felt incomplete. I hope the new OVA/movie/series/whatever it is that was announced a few months ago does Vash justice.

I hope so too, I loved the characters, esp Wolfwood... Has anybody seen Soul Hunter?

I'm a pretty big fan of both the Naruto anime and manga, though I've also lost interest in the anime somewhat since the fillers started. Thankfully, the episode released today should be the last filler episode for a while. Meanwhile, the manga keeps chugging along, as entertaining, intriguing chapters come out week after week. The arc they've got going now is particularly good, and I can't wait to see how it ends.

However, my absolute favorite manga are Yakitate!! Japan and Eyeshield21. The former's a shounen adventure comedy sort of thing featuring Azuma Kazuma, a teenage boy with "Solar Hands" and his desire to create "Japan", the bread that will define his home country. It's really very funny (if you're a fan of puns like I am, anyway) and strangely compelling. Eyeshield21, on the other hand, is about a wimpy kid named Sena Kobayakawa. He had been a gofer for bullies all his life and has unintentionally attained amazing speed because of it. The devilish quarterback of his high school's American Football team notices his speed and recruits him for the squad. This series features terrific, very well drawn action, plenty of comedy, and a bit of drama every once in a while for good measure.

The other manga I read on a regular basis are...

- Beck

- 666Satan

- Death Note

- One Piece

Yep...I can be pretty obsessed with this stuff at times.

I like Excel Sage, Paranoia Agent, and uh... the Miyizaki stuff anime wise. As for manga, well I'll read anything if it's in a comic book format. I'm slowly trying to get through Excel Saga mostly right now.

Excell Saga I enjoyed but i think i got annoyed when they changed the voice actress on like the 4th dvd, i thought it hurt the show cuz the new actress kinda sucked.

I'm currently watching Samurai Champloo and Bleach and reading the Naruto manga as it comes out (I'll probably start watching the anime again once the fillers are done as the only ones that were really any good at all were the first one, the Bikouchu arc, and perhaps the one with Anko's flashbacks). Plus I'm starting to get into the Rurouni Kenshin manga.