TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TNABaddboi

OAO 4/27 Impact Thread

When did Low Ki change his name to Senshi?

He refused to allow TNA to copywrite Low Ki, so TNA told him to come up with another name and Senshi was the best he could think of.

He refused to allow TNA to copywrite Low Ki, so TNA told him to come up with another name and Senshi was the best he could think of.

Plus, he wanted to debut his new ring attire.

SailorKi.png

I'm still gonna call him Sushi, cause thats what i thought they said when he came down to the ring.

I thought that was a really solid Impact. I hope they keep up with this format.

I really liked that they started with the action (other than Mitchell's short promo) and then did the long talk segment with the names. If they are going to have a 10 minute promo, I think that's the best way for them to do it considering the audience they want to hook. Besides, casual fans just looking to see Sting and Steiner would be more likely to flip away if they saw them in the first 10 minutes and then the World Cup guys came out after the break. I think the way they set last night's show up was very effective in trying to maximize the lead-in and the name value. Its almost a reverse SNME strategy, which works here giving the lead-in situation. The UFC fans they are trying to hook are fans of action more than wrestling, but the fans who know who Sting and Steiner are at least not opposed to watching wrestling, so they may stick around through some X-Division action if you keep telling them they'll see Sting at the end of it. We'll see if that bears out in the ratings though.

SailorKi.png

A pic of Dr. Girlfriend from Venture Brothers would of been a better picture considering that Senshi has such a deep voice.

SailorKi.png

A pic of Dr. Girlfriend from Venture Brothers would of been a better picture considering that Senshi has such a deep voice.

I was going by "Bishoujo Senshi" from Sailor Moon for it.

Like some have already said, Impact really worked last night. They need to consistently have shows that are very unformulmatic (is that a word?) to keep the viewers attention, above and beyond eliminating pointless fodder such as glorified squash matches, backstage segments that mean NOTHING, etc. I read that the booking has dictated that not everyone will get equal airtime, but I think thats a good thing as they really should just be focusing on certain characters and main feuds anyway primarily, if you ask me.

TNA got more bad news in the ratings this week. Meltz says they again lost half the UFC audience. Here's what he posted:

--Ultimate Fighter drew a 1.6 rating on Thursday night, while TNA Impact followed with a 0.8 rating.

Thoughts?

The show is on too late.

That's not stopping AM RAW from getting 1.1 ratings or better at 2am, and they've been getting those for a few weeks now.

TNA's only hope for Impact is to see if the supposed move of

Samoa Joe

(according to the spoilers) to the Main Event freshens up the NWA Title scene, and as a result helps the ratings somewhat after weeks and weeks of Christian looking like a paper champion and Jarrett still hoggin the spotlight.

What if the line up was TUF, Impact, Unleashed? I don't know about you but I am loving the Jim Mitchell & Abyss push and the X Cup is a nice change of pace from regular X division matches.

I just can't belive TNA isn't bringing in the viewers. It's clearly a better show that raw with clearly better talent.

It just doesn;t make sense to me

Guest wolverine1007

I really enjoyed Impact this week, alot more than Smackdown, anyways. What they really need though is an extra 30 minutes, because things seem rushed at times, and an extra half hour would let them develop a couple different independant storylines each week.

Overall though, I do think that TNA is doing a good job developing alot of characters while utilizing the more established names already on their roster. They just need to not be pressure with a possible cancellation and forced to really rush things. In another year from now, i can see this show being semi-viable competition to the WWE if it continues to develop as it has.

I just can't belive TNA isn't bringing in the viewers. It's clearly a better show that raw with clearly better talent.

They need to advertise themselves more - I know its been said over and over but they need a strong marketing team (which the WWE clearly has) to compliment the product. Til then, who knows - they may never get to where they want to be without it.

Mike Johnson said the .8 number was incorrect. Here's what he posted:

The Thursday 4/27 edition of TNA Impact scored a 1.0 household rating, slightly above last week's .9. The big news for TNA was that their male demographics were way up, scoring a 1.6 among Males 18-49, the most desired audience category. Impact scored a 1.2 in Males 18-49, capturing an average audience of 1.1 million viewers. Thus far, the average of TNA's audience is up 20% from their old timeslot.

For those wondering, a .84 rating that was floating around over the weekend was a preliminary number.

I'm sure TNA feels a bit better about that number, though its not THAT big of a difference.

Spike tv refuses to promote wrestling period while USA runs "Characters Welcome" ads all day on its network. It's a matter of promotion with Spike tv only running TNA commericals on the night of the show. How is TNA going to get new fans when the only people that know of its existence are internet fans and the whole White Sox deal did nothing but get a smirk from news people laughing at how lame wrestling is. The only cross promotion that can be successful would be one with UFC with Shamrock & Tito having the blowoff of their feud on a very special Impact Ultimate Fight Night Clash of Champions special. With the main event being Shamrock & Jarrett vs Sting & Tito in a no DQ match.

"And that's a shoot"? Did Sting really have to say that? I mean come on, Sting's the guy to bring in casual fans who may be to embarrased to watch wrestling and he says that? It's a shoot. So what? It's not like he's saying anything controversial which is what most of us think when we here the word "shoot."

And where does that phrase come from, "and that's a shoot"? I hear people saying all the time on TSM.

Guest Chris Xtreme
Mike Johnson said the .8 number was incorrect. Here's what he posted:

The Thursday 4/27 edition of TNA Impact scored a 1.0 household rating, slightly above last week's .9. The big news for TNA was that their male demographics were way up, scoring a 1.6 among Males 18-49, the most desired audience category. Impact scored a 1.2 in Males 18-49, capturing an average audience of 1.1 million viewers. Thus far, the average of TNA's audience is up 20% from their old timeslot.

For those wondering, a .84 rating that was floating around over the weekend was a preliminary number.

I'm sure TNA feels a bit better about that number, though its not THAT big of a difference.

Yes but it shows that TNA is growing its audience at least a little bit. When they first began on spike an 0.8 was the average and 0.9 was exceptional. They couldn't seem to get above that till Sting's Impact debut scored a 1.1. Things went back down to averaging an 0.8 but in the last few weeks we have got 2 or three shows in the 1.Os. This shows that they have gained more people since the Spike TV debut. And its a hell of a lot better than what they did on FSN. Any type of growth is good growth. Orginally we all thought TNA went back to an 0.8. What makes the correct rating so good is that it shows that TNA is not going backwards. If they can somehow average 1.0's consistantly, it will diffinitly be a step in he right direction.

You know, I am actually hearing more marks talk about TNA around me. I heard a bunch of guys talking about it around a card table a couple weeks ago. One of my friends seems to like it. I was susprised to learn that a coworker who hasn''t watched WWE in years as heard of it. I have heard things about TNA before, but I just get the feeling that it is catching on at least a little bit.

Look I am not deluisional here. TNA still has a long way to go. I just feel if they keep moving in their current direction (while striving to get better as they go a long) good things are bound to happen to them. As much as we want TNA to grow fast ( and don't tell me TNA haters don't at least want another Monday Night War), its just going to take time and patience. There doing pretty good for a company that was supposed to die after its first few months.

"And that's a shoot"? Did Sting really have to say that? I mean come on, Sting's the guy to bring in casual fans who may be to embarrased to watch wrestling and he says that? It's a shoot. So what? It's not like he's saying anything controversial which is what most of us think when we here the word "shoot."

And where does that phrase come from, "and that's a shoot"? I hear people saying all the time on TSM.

03.jpg

is back

Yes but it shows that TNA is growing its audience at least a little bit. When they first began on spike an 0.8 was the average and 0.9 was exceptional. They couldn't seem to get above that till Sting's Impact debut scored a 1.1. Things went back down to averaging an 0.8 but in the last few weeks we have got 2 or three shows in the 1.Os. This shows that they have gained more people since the Spike TV debut. And its a hell of a lot better than what they did on FSN. Any type of growth is good growth. Orginally we all thought TNA went back to an 0.8. What makes the correct rating so good is that it shows that TNA is not going backwards. If they can somehow average 1.0's consistantly, it will diffinitly be a step in he right direction.

You know, I am actually hearing more marks talk about TNA around me. I heard a bunch of guys talking about it around a card table a couple weeks ago. One of my friends seems to like it. I was susprised to learn that a coworker who hasn''t watched WWE in years as heard of it. I have heard things about TNA before, but I just get the feeling that it is catching on at least a little bit.

Look I am not deluisional here. TNA still has a long way to go. I just feel if they keep moving in their current direction (while striving to get better as they go a long) good things are bound to happen to them. As much as we want TNA to grow fast ( and don't tell me TNA haters don't at least want another Monday Night War), its just going to take time and patience. There doing pretty good for a company that was supposed to die after its first few months.

I agree....any audience growth is good for TNA. And three of the last four shows hitting the 1.0 mark (which they did once in their first four months on Spike) is clearly a good sign. I also think that they are going in the right step with the house shows and DVDs in stores. To think of where they are coming, I think they are moving in the right direction. The next step is moving the PPVs out of Orlando (even if they leave Impact there). After that, its finding that extra hour of TV time. Anyway, no complaints from me about Thursday's number.

I hope they keep the TV format of 2-3 matches with some meat to them rather than the breakneck pace of 4-5 matches and maybe one match in non squash.

I like the card for Sacrifice, but I don't like how the main event tag match will not come to form until the Thursday before the PPV. I feel Joe finally getting to mix it up with guys like Jarrett and Steiner should have more than 3 days build. They should've had Joe get introduced as Sting's partner this week and the show before the PPV, you have Sting and Joe clean house or tease dissension or whatever story they want going into Sacrifice.

Observer this week said that they are eventually building to a Joe/Steiner one on one match. It has intrigue for all the right (believability that these are 2 badass dudes who are going to lock horns) and wrong (Steiner can do damn near nothing in the ring and may single-handedly ruin the match) reasons.

Around the time that Vince pulled stuff out of JR's ass I liked TNA more then the WWE and I wanted to really get into TNA but that interest faded away really quickly. I don't know what it is with TNA but it never seems to really grab me like the WWE does. It's all the same to me. The lightweights (guys like AJ Styles, Daniels and Shelley) always put on the best matches and I love to watch them but then again it's always the same. Samoa Joe is different, he's the only interesting part about TNA. I don't like their Main Event scene at all. Christian Cage is a boring Face, he's much better as a Heel. I know we are supposed to hate the WWE for not pushing Christian but to be honest Christian was much more entertaining the last months when he was in the WWE then he is now in TNA. I remember everybody talking about Monty Brown being the next big star and what not, but now he's nothing. They turned him Heel, made him Jarrett's bitch and now he's stuck. Jarrett is way worse then HHH. Also the Tag Division always has the same tag teams. Team 3D and AMW are boring now, they have been on top of the tag division for too long. Above all, TNA is turning into WCW with Sting, Steiner, Smiley, Bagwell showing up etc...

WWE has been much more entertaining since January, especially after 'Mania. I really do love the Shelley's and the Daniels' and the Joe's but one day it will grow old. Styles and Daniels IMO should already be in the main event all the time.