TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

PRIDE Welterweight GP

Everytime Baroni gets his ass kicked it's always great.

I'm just waiting for him to come to UFC so he can get that ass whoopin from David Loiseau that's waiting for him.

Don't ever bash Canada!

Check out the poll on Sherdog, KANGMANIA IS RUNNIN WILD BRUTHA!~!~!!~!~!

I don't care what the matchups are next round, but for the LOVE OF CHRIST, please don't match Filho with Suloev. Suloev will play his boring standup game and Filho will play his boring paddy cake ground game. I know they've met before in a "decent for what it was" kinda deal but after their respective performances in the first round, I'm not very hopeful.

That said it's hard to beat a guy like Filho that just takes you down and "dry humps" (thanks Lei) you the entire time, like the Mark Kerr of the MW division. That's why I think someone like Henderson could drag a decent match out of Paulo like he did Arona.

Kang has skills but if he fought a truly rounded fighter in his division, like Franklin and well, that's it, he would have trouble.

Hopefully Ninja will get the benefit of the doubt like Bustamante did and get to come back and fight a couple of guys and build him back into a contender, I really like him and his style; I LOVE his match with Mario Sperry, almost to the point of worshipping both men as two gods on an equal pedastal for their guts and perseverence.

I don't think Filho's wrestling is that good, he seems to just bullrush and gets away with it because of his athleticism/lack of technique on the part of his opponent. I'd like to see him face a MW with a good sprawl who is known to be hard to take down. Evan Tanner or David Terrell would probably fuck him up something fierce.

Is it just me or do most of these guys look smaller than UFC MW?

Gono/Mousasi

Henderson/Misaki

Kang/Suloev

Chonan/Filho

There be your next round bracketing. Poor, poor Chonan. Might as well bring a pillow because you'll be on your back the whole fight.

Guest DRH 502
Is it just me or do most of these guys look smaller than UFC MW?

I think it has to do with the ring/cage making fighters look bigger/smaller. When I was anticipiating A.Silva vs. Leben I was expecting Leben to be bigger than Silva...but Silva almost dwarfed him.

They are both billed as I think 5'11" but look at them during the staredown, there is no fucking way. Silva was a good 2 inches taller if not more.

I think Filho is HUGE for a MW. The man may be boring but he's a physical specimen that's for damn sure, quite possibly one of the strongest fighters pound for pound in MMA (I believe Hughes, Kid, and Rampage to be the top three.)

Damn double post.

While I'm at it, DRH you appear to be one of the few MMA posters from DVDR one can hold intelligent conversation with, welcome aboard to the small MMA clique at TSM, my friend.

No way. If the fight were decided by a pro wrestling test of strength, Sakurai would've crushed Filho. Besides, I kind of hate giving anyone as obviously roided to the gills as Filho too much credit for being strong.

No way. If the fight were decided by a pro wrestling test of strength, Sakurai would've crushed Filho. Besides, I kind of hate giving anyone as obviously roided to the gills as Filho too much credit for being strong.

Really, Sakurai? He's very strong, but I never considered him freakishly strong for his size. What kind of pro wrestling test of strength, arm wrestling? super pose down? Maybe it could end with a contract signing or a cake or trophy presentation resulting in a massive brawl? :D

Guest DRH 502

Thanks Benoit I appreciate that.

Filho is pretty short for his size though isn't he? Like 5'9?

Really, Sakurai? He's very strong, but I never considered him freakishly strong for his size. What kind of pro wrestling test of strength, arm wrestling? super pose down? Maybe it could end with a contract signing or a cake or trophy presentation resulting in a massive brawl? :D

Sakurai isn't freakishly strong, but I don't consider Filho to be, either. I mean, fuckin' Matsui handled his stength pretty well.

Anyways, I meant the old clasping-hands-to-loving-embrace thingamajigger.

Guest DRH 502

That game is so fucking old school. But reminds me of fun times in my life. That game had everyone from Finlay to La Parka if I remember correctly..

Anyone recommend good MMA games? I have no PS2 but I think i'ma get back into gaming to kill some time. I haven't fooled with anything since N64 days minus a few times at friends...

In all seriousness, the Fire Pro Wrestling series has had the funnest MMA simulator to date, IMO. Plus you can create just about anybody on there.

Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 > FPW in regards to MMA. Hell, Def Jam: Fight For NY is a better MMA game than most MMA games (which it actually isn't).

I played one on PS 2 I don't remember what it was called, but it had all the MMA guys in it like Bas, MInotauro, etc. It even had Hogan and regular pro wrestlers in it.

You could choose match modes, one would be Pro wrestling or one would be MMA. It was pretty cool, but the MMA was lacking in terms of simulation. This leads me to believe that Pro Wrestling will always offer the best fighting games, since real fighting is so difficult to make into a real sim.

Whether the game I'm talking about was VPW or FPW I don't know.

Guest DRH 502

I have Fire Pro on GBA simulator on my computer. FP2 too actually. Although I know the graphics aren't anywhere up to part with PS2...heh its been a while but i'm pretty sure I always pick Cro-Cop because its easy to finish someone off CRITICAL! with the high kickah...

In news that's sure to make Lei wet himself, Shinya Aoki and Hioki Hatsu are confirmed for the next Pride, against Jason Black and Jeff Curran, respectively. Gilbert Melendez is also scheduled to fight against Nobuhiro Obiya and Kawajiri will be fighting Chris Brennan.

In news that's sure to make Lei wet himself, Shinya Aoki and Hioki Hatsu are confirmed for the next Pride, against Jason Black and Jeff Curran, respectively. Gilbert Melendez is also scheduled to fight against Nobuhiro Obiya and Kawajiri will be fighting Chris Brennan.

Some good matchmaking there as:

1) I love Aoki and hate Black.

2) Curran & Hioki are both very good featherweights.

3) Gomi's boy gets his biggest test (and likely asskicking) to date.

4) Kawajiri gets to brutalize someone.

Although, I am a bit dissapointed that Aoki went against his previously held convictions. Obviously, his 4 months in the academy turned him into a cynical, burned-out cop.

What makes you so sure Black is gonna lose? The guy's record is pretty impressive.

I heard that's a LW fight? Both guys normally fight at 170 so that would be different.

Shonie Carter >> Jason Black

:) :) :)

What makes you so sure Black is gonna lose? The guy's record is pretty impressive.

I heard that's a LW fight? Both guys normally fight at 170 so that would be different.

Black COULD lay on Aoki for 15 minutes, but Aoki has to be favored. Black hasn't exactly excelled against good competition in his career (and reportedly should've lost the JD to Alessio), while Aoki has nigh-dominated almost everyone's he's faced, including guys like Hironaka & Kikuchi.

Also, I REALLY hate that people on SD have such strong opinions on Aoki's losses, having probably never seen either.

Shonie Carter >> Jason Black

:) :) :)

I'm not about to say that Mark Coleman>>>>Shogun Rua.

He seems to have too much of a good resume to have a glorified can like Shonie ruin his rep. Then again, he is a boring fighter so I hope he loses anyway.