TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JustJoe2k5

Is Kawada/Misawa still the standard?

In addition to Coffin's list, check out the 7/31/84 Hanson/Baba match. Compare the Baba mat work in that match to the 1969 Destroyer match. 1969 Baba mat work is all about pro wrestling holds. 1984 Baba mat work is a mixture of pro wrestling and the UWF style that was just getting underway. Baba breaks out the crossarmbreaker at least twice in this match (as well as in their other excellent 2/4/82 match).

As for the Hawk comments on Misawa/Kawada, I did at least smile at the insane comments. So it was worth something...

Guest wildpegasus

vs. Destroyer 69

-Fantastic overmatched stooge vs. bigger athletic face match. Lot's of great mat work, stooging, and buckets of blood. Don't expect alot of big time offense though, it is the 60s.

WP -- I'll vouch for this one too. Fantastic stuff. I just wanted to say that although there are no powerbombs or burning hammers a lot of the work is really advanced. In particular there's a

pinfall in here that I thought was cooler and more advanced than most anything you can see today

That's a moment that really stuck with me after watching this and my fondest memory of the bout.

Yeah and for anyone wondering Baba can move better at this point a time. His movements aren't a hindrance at all in this.

Guest wildpegasus
In addition to Coffin's list, check out the 7/31/84 Hanson/Baba match. Compare the Baba mat work in that match to the 1969 Destroyer match. 1969 Baba mat work is all about pro wrestling holds. 1984 Baba mat work is a mixture of pro wrestling and the UWF style that was just getting underway. Baba breaks out the crossarmbreaker at least twice in this match (as well as in their other excellent 2/4/82 match).

If that's the Hanson vs Baba match I'm thinking of than I'll second it as a really good match.

One thing about Baba that makes me shake my head in admirance, is that, even when in the 90's, the young guns were selling his (IMO) silly-looking offense like crazy, he still took some brutal, stiff shots. I guess a sort of rough analogy would be Flair today. Using his legacy to get the young guys over.

Guest Velouria

I'm waiting for those 100 matches, by the way - not that there are even ten.

I know Co*y's already got an account here last time I looked so it's hard to say if it's Jubuki or not. You obviously know me and the way you construct setences is familiar to me.

Yes, I can see how putting sentences together "correctly" would be familiar. I think they called it English class, the last I checked.

WP - knows Co*y has a soft spot somewhere deep down inside his heart for me

LOL @ having a heart.

Guest wildpegasus
I'm waiting for those 100 matches, by the way - not that there are even ten.

I know Co*y's already got an account here last time I looked so it's hard to say if it's Jubuki or not. You obviously know me and the way you construct setences is familiar to me.

Yes, I can see how putting sentences together "correctly" would be familiar. I think they called it English class, the last I checked.

WP - knows Co*y has a soft spot somewhere deep down inside his heart for me

LOL @ having a heart.

I missed you man.

I don't know if you're Jubuki or not though. You talk like him but the "LOL" bit is not something he likes to say. Of course, that just might be something to confuse me. Keep me guessing.

So I'll just point out blank ask you -- Are you Chris C**y? Middle letters taken out since I know you don't like being called that name for some reason that I am unaware of.

If you are indeed C**y I will list 100 matches despite me forgetting a lot of what I've watched. If you're not than I will think about it.

Guest Velouria

What do you want, a Social Security number? A list of your IPs I banned from my old board?

And your little idiosyncracy in regards to my last name is even more annoying than hearing people mispronounce it, which is why I don't like being referred to by it (not like you couldn't have *gasp* ASKED and found that out, because it's no goddamned mystery). It isn't as though there are 48 different people named Chris holing up here - in fact, there are the same 4 people here there always were - so it wouldn't kill you to say simply that, except that it would make sense to do so.

Guest wildpegasus
What do you want, a Social Security number? A list of your IPs I banned from my old board?

And your little idiosyncracy in regards to my last name is even more annoying than hearing people mispronounce it, which is why I don't like being referred to by it (not like you couldn't have *gasp* ASKED and found that out, because it's no goddamned mystery). It isn't as though there are 48 different people named Chris holing up here - in fact, there are the same 4 people here there always were - so it wouldn't kill you to say simply that, except that it would make sense to do so.

Sure, a social security number would be nice.

Why did you change your name again? I remembering you responding to question I posted in a thread on this board under a different name. Are you in hiding again?

Guest Velouria

Yes, I'm in hiding, which is why I just said I was me. Jesus tapdancing Christ, you're thick.

OK Let's ask about puro instead of pissing in the wind, 'k WP?

I am having a dumb moment. I seem to remember that Misawa beat Jumbo only once.

I also seem to remember that he pinned him, and submitted him with the facelock (which would become important in the Taue '95 Champions Carny matches, where he put the face lock on Misawa's broken face)

Which is right? Keep in mind I haven't been avidly watching Puro since '00, so I'm hazy. Did Misawa beat Jumbo once or twice?

Guest wildpegasus
Yes, I'm in hiding, which is why I just said I was me. Jesus tapdancing Christ, you're thick.

I'm kind of thick. I got a good amount of muscle on me. Not too much but enough to turn the ladies' heads and apparantly yours too.

And you're still avoiding the question. Why the name change?

Guest Velouria
I also seem to remember that he pinned him, and submitted him with the facelock

This is.

And what's your favorite/best match Chris?

Well my Favorite (subjective) match will probably always be Owen/Bret WMX for the simple fact it was the first great match I saw.

I think my best match (objective) is Hokuto/Kandori, though. That ending is awesome, and is sometimes mimmicked, but never equalled IMO.

So, just to make it clear, Misawa beat Jumbo one-on-one twice?

I'm kind of thick. I got a good amount of muscle on me. Not too much but enough to turn the ladies' heads and apparantly yours too.

Dude, WP, what the fuck?

Dude, WP, what the fuck?

What he said.

And being a Puro novice, if I where to get a Champions Carny tape which year would be the best?

CC'95 is the best, match for match.

I liked CC'93, but I have that because I have all of AJPW 93 TV.

CC'94 isn't bad as a whole, but the finals (Kawada vs Williams) is a classic match.

As I said, I think Champion's Carny 95 is awesome.

Ok: You have the big 4. Misawa is THE MAN. The guy to beat, even though, IIRC Hansen is the champ at this time.

Kobashi/Kawada/Misawa/Taue. You can't go wrong with any of these matches, although some are inconclusive. And any of these four v Akiyama is going to be good too.

As I said. there's a 60 minute 3-way tag which I, personally really don't like.

All you need to know for the final is: Misawa is the man in AJPW. He has a legit broken face courtesy of Kawada. It builds on thne previous Misawa/Taue match wonderfully.

I have the whole thing, pretty good quality, from a really great tape source, which. regrettably, I know not the name of.

Wild Pegasus tapes? Let me look this shit up.

Uh, I would go with 93 televison is the best way for a novice to go. Cheap as hell, lots of great matches from the top to the bottom of the cards so there's more exposure to a larger variety of excellent workers. Endless great stuff from Hansen and Kobashi, and the start of the Kawada and Misawa fued.

You got a tape source? I just checked Wild Pegasus tapes, and they no longer have the Champion's Carny '95 it seems.

Schneider Comps are in general, awesome, to put a plug in. Gave me a lot of great matches.

EDIT: And I think I just don't like/get lucha. I've seen some of the supposedly best matches in lucha, and, um, I just don't get it. I love the fans' passion. That's about it.

Guest Velouria

Oh, in singles? No, the pin on 6/8 was the only singles win anyone from the younger generation ever got on Jumbo. Misawa made Jumbo submit to the facelock in a tag match on 9/4/91.

As for where to get the 1993 TV, I do believe Dan Ginnetty ([email protected]) was working on a full DVD set of that year. It may or may not be done by now -- I believe the caveat at the time was that he needed enough people to pre-order such that spending the conversion time was worth it. That was December or January, though, so he may have them all sorted out by now. He has blocks here and there on DVD already, so some of the more famous stuff (Hansen/Kobashi, Hansen/Kawada, RWTL final night, etc.) is likely already converted.

On the matches note...ehhhhhhh. There are only 6 or 7 I could put in and be interested in watching just about every time. Misawa/Kawada, Misawa/Kobashi, Hansen/Kobashi, Hokuto/Kandori, Misawa/Akiyama vs. Kawada/Taue, Misawa/Kobashi vs. Kawada/Taue, maybe Toyota/Yamada vs. Kansai/Ozaki. Tamura/Kohsaka is as good as any of them, but I don't have the interest or attention span left to sit through a match like it, even as transcendent as it is.

Really, asking these questions is pretty silly. There are pinned threads for a reason - all this stuff's been gone over before.

As for where to get the 1993 TV, I do believe Dan Ginnetty ([email protected]) was working on a full DVD set of that year. It may or may not be done by now -- I believe the caveat at the time was that he needed enough people to pre-order such that spending the conversion time was worth it. That was December or January, though, so he may have them all sorted out by now. He has blocks here and there on DVD already, so some of the more famous stuff (Hansen/Kobashi, Hansen/Kawada, RWTL final night, etc.) is likely already converted

This is how I got my 93 AJPW TV DVD's. Sweet dealer. Get a hold of him as he's got tons of great stuff.

As I said, I think Champion's Carny 95 is awesome.

Ok: You have the big 4. Misawa is THE MAN. The guy to beat, even though, IIRC Hansen is the champ at this time.

Kobashi/Kawada/Misawa/Taue. You can't go wrong with any of these matches, although some are inconclusive. And any of these four v Akiyama is going to be good too.

As I said. there's a 60 minute 3-way tag which I, personally really don't like.

All you need to know for the final is: Misawa is the man in AJPW. He has a legit broken face courtesy of Kawada. It builds on thne previous Misawa/Taue match wonderfully.

I have the whole thing, pretty good quality, from a really great tape source, which. regrettably, I know not the name of.

Wild Pegasus tapes? Let me look this shit up.

Even though I don't watch alot of Japanese wrestling, I would have to agree with this assessment of the '95 Champion's Carnival. You have every possible combination of Akira Taue, Jun Akiyama, Kenta Kobashi, Mitsuharu Misawa, and Toshiaki Kawada going at it and every match delivers. It is probably the perfect show for anyone that wants to know what all of the hype is about with Japanese wrestling.

www.triplecrowntapes.com has alot of videos from various Japanese promotions.

Guest wildpegasus

I will start listamania since you want it so bad than Velouria .... if that is indeed your real name.

No order

1)Kobashi vs Misawa 1/20/97

2)Kobashi vs Hanson 4/93

3)Kobashi vs Hasnon 7/93

4)Kobashi vs Terry Gordy 8?/?93

5)Kobashi vs Misawa 3/03

6)Kobashi vs Kawada 12/98

7)Kobashi vs Williams 8/93

8)Kobashi vs Williams 9/94

9)Kobashi/Misawa vs Taue/Kawada 12?/93

10)Kobashi/Misawa vs Taue/Kawada 10/95

11)Kobashi/Misawa vs Taue/Kawada 6/95

12)Kobashi vs Taue where Kobashi wins Triple Crown

13)Kobashi vs Big Bossman 93

14)Ozaki/Kansai vs Toyota/Yam3ada Dreamrush

15)Ozaki/Kansai vs Toyota/Yamada Dreamslam

16)Ozaki/Kansai vs Toyota/Yamada 12/93

17)Thunderqueen

18)Ozaki/Fukuoka vs Hotta/T.Inoue

19)Ozaki/Kansai vs Hotta/T.Inoue from JWP one of the first interpromotional matchups

20)Ozaki vs Kansai streetfight

21)Ozaki vs Kansai titlefight - match where Ozaki's you one is crying afterwards and Ozaki consoles her

22)Ozaki/Amano vs Kudo/Rie Wild dress up street fight match

23)Toyota vs Yamada 8/94

23)Toyota vs Yamada Hair vs Hair

24)Toyota vs K.Inoue 1hr draw

25)Toyota vs K.Inoue 12/96

26)Toyota vs k.Inoue 8?????/94??

27)Toyota vs Hokuto Tournament match 93

28)Toyota/Hokuto vs Aja/Kyoko 12/93

29)Toyota/Hokuto vs Aja/Kyoko 12/93

30)Hokuto vs Kandori Dreamslam

31)Hokuto/Kandori vs Aja/Bull Nakano

32)Aja Kong vs Meiko Satomura Late 2001

33)Hokuto vs Satomura Gaea 2001

34)Momoe vs Ito 9/01

35)Yamada vs Hasegawa 3/94

36)Kong vs Toyota 11/94

37)LCO vs Yamada/KAROU GAEA 4/99 :)

38)Hokuto vs Nakano 1?/91

39)Jaguar vs Lioness 8/85

40)Masami vs Chigusa 8/85

41)date of that multiwoman steel cage match that's often compared to the infamous 97 bout? I pick that one

42)Dynamite Kid vs Tiger Mask 4/21/83

43)Dynamite Kid vs Cobra Toureny Finals from New Japan

44)Dynamite Kid vs Bruce Hart Date Unknown

45)Dynamite Kid vs Bruce Hart Date Unknown

46)Dynamite Kid vs Bruce Hart Date Unknown

47)Dynamite Kid vs Marty Jones England

48)Dynamite Kid/Gama vs Keith Hart/Forget the other guy's game right now

49)The big Stampede elimination tag where at the end of it it's DK and Myers I believe vs Bret and Davey

50)Owen Hart/Ben Basserb vs Viet Cong Express 8/86

51)Owen Hart/Ben Basserb vs Viet Cong Express 8/86

52)Benoit vs Johnny Smith 5/88

53)Benoit vs Johnny Smith 6/4/88

54)Benoit vs Johnny Smith 6/23/88

55)Benoit/Lance Idol vs Cuban Commandoes (2nd match of their series)

56)Benoit/Owen Hart vs Jason/Zodiac

57)Smith/Morrow/Assasin vs Benoit/Wellington/Bruce Hart Stampede 88

58)Wellington vs Smith Hair vs Hair

59)Bret Hart vs Mr. Perfect King of the Ring

60)Bret Hart vs Austin Mania

61)Bret Hart vs Owen Hart Mania

62)Bret Hart vs Yokozuna Steel Cage MSG

63)Bret Hart vs Diesil King of the Ring I think

64)Bret Hart Davey Boy Smith Wembley Stadium

65)Bret Hart vs Davey IYH

66)Lyger vs Samurai 92 the famous match

67)Lyger vs Sano

68)Lyger vs Sano

69)Lyger vs Sano

70)Lyger vs Sano

71)Lyger vs Ohtani 3/96

72)Lyger vs Sasuke JCup

74)Ohtani vs Dragon 8 title tourney New Japan

75)Hanson vs Andre the Giant 81? New Japan

76)Shawn Michaels/Diesil vs 123Kid/Ramon Action Zone

77)Ric Flair vs Ricky Steamboat Clash of the Champions

78)Ric Flair vs Kerry Von Erich -- Steel cage from WCCW, match where Freebirds turn against Von Erich

79)Flair vs Vader Starrcade

80)Flair vs Jumbo Tsuruta -- Not sure of the date, I know they had a few but there was one in particular I really liked

81)Jumbo vs Kerry Von Erich All Japan 84

82)Jumbo vs Tenyru 6/89

83)Kawada/Fuyuki vs Can Am Express

84)Kawada vs Williams

85)Destroyer vs Baba 3/69

86)Eddie vs Rey Halloween Havoc

87)Benoit vs Sasuke JCup

88)Benoit vs Angle Royal Rumble

89)Benoit vs Lesnar Smackdown

90)Benoit vs Kane Raw from 04 Title match

91)Benoit/Ohtani vs Sasuke/Tiger

92)Benoit/Ohtani vs Sasuke/Tiger 94 junior tag tourney

93)Benoit vs Austin from Edmonton

94)Benoit vs Honga 94 vacated title tourney finals

95)Benoit vs Ohtani Cruiserweight finals

97)Benoit vs Gedo 95 JCup

98)Rip Rogers vs Terry Taylor WCW 89 I believe

99)Benoit/Angle vs Rey/Edge No Mercy

100)Bret Hart vs Piper Mania

Guest wildpegasus
As for where to get the 1993 TV, I do believe Dan Ginnetty ([email protected]) was working on a full DVD set of that year. It may or may not be done by now -- I believe the caveat at the time was that he needed enough people to pre-order such that spending the conversion time was worth it. That was December or January, though, so he may have them all sorted out by now. He has blocks here and there on DVD already, so some of the more famous stuff (Hansen/Kobashi, Hansen/Kawada, RWTL final night, etc.) is likely already converted

This is how I got my 93 AJPW TV DVD's. Sweet dealer. Get a hold of him as he's got tons of great stuff.

Ginnetty's terrific but he's often very busy so you have to be patient. I've gotten stuff from him before and I was happy with everything.

Oh, in singles? No, the pin on 6/8 was the only singles win anyone from the younger generation ever got on Jumbo. Misawa made Jumbo submit to the facelock in a tag match on 9/4/91.

IF THAT'S YOUR REAL NAME. A song from the pixies. I'm sure that's your real name, jerk. My name Is La La Love You.

Thaaat's what I was thinking of. I only have a clipped version of the tag, I think. I really need to hook my VCR up and watch some tapes again.

Suddenly, I want to watch wrestling? Who woulda thunk?