TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

The OaO 90's Fighting Games Thread

You know what folks, I'll admit-I don't play video games much anymore. I've never even played any of the Halo or Grand Theft Auto games. In the 90's though, I would almost always play games, especially fighting games. No matter how bad or good they were, I would play them. Anyways, share your best and worst 90's fightng games memories in this thread.

One word, Sengoku!!!!

I was always partial to "Primal Rage". Also, "Rise of the Robots" and "Beast Wrestler" were the worst ones I played back then.

Guest Coffey

I went to the local arcades on a daily basis. Saturday's, I was out until 2am playing games with friends. X-Men Vs. Street Fighter, Killer Instinct, Mortal Kombat 2 & WWF Wrestlemania the Arcade Game were the titles I played the most. I played MK3 and KI2 when they were new but they weren't as good. I just played them because they were popular.

Now home consoles and PC's have put all the local arcades out of business. We have a gaming center in town that runs PC's, X-Boxes and 360's though.

I remember being disappointed by KI2, though I always liked MK3 for some reason.

Guest ABOBO

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters was quite solid for a licensed fighter.

Guest Coffey

I only bothered to play Tusk, Jago & Glacier in KI2, so I never really learned the game too well.

In MK3, I got pretty good with Cyrax. I won a couple of tournaments with him. People are terrible at getting around all the bombs, if you know what you're doing.

Guest InuYasha

Personally, I think X-Men vs. Street Fighter was the best of the Crossover Battle games. Most of the characters were balanced, and there weren't any blatant weaknesses in any of the characters. I usually used a combination of Ryu, Ken, or Akuma. About the only people I couldn't beat were the cheap players/cheaters. In the end, though, those idiots did themselves in. When they got on, everyone would leave, and no one would play with them.

KI2 was better as a home game than an arcade game. MK3 was about the peak of the MK fighting games. They "jumped the shark" with UMK3, and could never really get back on track. War Gods, Rise of the Robots, and Primal Rage just kind of sucked. Primal Rage was about the only one that did half-way decent, because it was somewhat original, and horribly gory.

Guest Coffey

Oh, I don't know about that. Competitive X-Men Vs. Street Fighter play is nothing but infinite combos. It's not real fun. :) It's a great game but not one I'd enter a big tournament in again.

I play with Dhalsim/Sabretooth but I think Gambit is the best in the game. His QP Cajun Strike is WAY too fast and his standing FK is a great counter for damn near any air attack in the game. His infinite is really easy too.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters *on SNES* was quite solid for a licensed fighter.

Justice League Task Force is worth the dollar to see how absolutely horrible Acclaim could make a knockoff, at a time when Capcom was creating some remarkable Marvel fighters.

I played EVERYTHING in the 90's. MK, SF, Primal Rage, KI, Time Killers, Justice League...anything. It was fun at the time but I look back and it seems kind of...pointless. I'm losing a lot of my nostalgia for the 90's era arcade scene. I play at arcades now and honestly it's a lot better than it used to be. Now I have money and a car, I can go whenever I want. More importantly the level of competition is so much better now it's not even comparable. What I would consider good back then is now scrubby.

I liked SF II, but the Champion Edition was about the best sequel. I had a fascination with Sagat since SF II, and to be able to play him was a dream come true. I used to play going "Muay Thai, baby!!"

God, I was such a dork.

Was every single guide book/cheat site wrong? Because Diesel's mega move is nearly-impossible to do. I did it once, and never again.

(on SNES)

HBK's megamove makes Rumbles on RAW ridiculously easy.

I'm surprised Anya had so little to say about the topic.

I don't know what else to say. Kind of a broad topic. Bring up something specific about Mortal Kombat and I can talk for hours.

Was every single guide book/cheat site wrong? Because Diesel's mega move is nearly-impossible to do. I did it once, and never again.

(on SNES)

I dunno about Diesel's, but I know the instruction manual for the game had Luger's Uber-forearm finisher code all wrong.

(on SNES)

I dunno about Diesel's, but I know the instruction manual for the game had Luger's Uber-forearm finisher code all wrong.

right, all you have to do is lock up and press b+a

I still have the game, played it a couple months back and its weird to play a 2d wrestling game now.

Most of the mega moves are damn near impossible. I like owens where he spins around and knocks down everyone including the ref. 123 Kid's turnbuckle to turnbuckle leap is pretty cool, if unrealistic. Rumbles are fun with big guys like diesel or taker where you can just flip people over your heads and over the top rope.

as for other fighters, I will always contend the best was the original Street Fighter 2 (first one I played, had an easier time playing it than MK in the arcades)

Mega Move = unrealistic "super" move that you can do any time.

Not the regular finishers.

Diesel's Mega Move--you have to stun your opponent, stand behind him/her, hold L/R, and down down right b. Doesn't ever seem to work. Everyone else's I can do without a problem.

Primal Rage is a really interesting case, though. It came out at the height of MK madness, got a lot of alleged critical praise, then nobody cared about it. The control mechanics (holding multiple buttons down then doing many a joystick gymnastics routine to do a move) didn't sit well with many people. The PS1 version looked beautiful, with a fabulous cgi intro. I rented it, drooled over the graphics, but when I played it I thought "wow, this isn't very fun."

I remember renting Primal Rage for SNES and having trouble doing even the simple stuff, like eating the people in the background. Maybe I just sucked, but it seemed like the controls were really tricky.

I remember renting Primal Rage for SNES and having trouble doing even the simple stuff, like eating the people in the background. Maybe I just sucked, but it seemed like the controls were really tricky.

I would always play as Diablo on "Primal Rage", and would always win usuing him. Chaos and Vertigo had the best finishers.

the SNK games were kinda fun: Fatal Fury, Samurai Showdown, World Heroes, Art Of Fighting...granted they weren't as quality as the SF games, but let's not overlook them.

Guest ABOBO

I'm heading out now, but I'm sure somebody will want to comment on what you said there.