TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Princess Leena

Wimbledon Thread.

Guest Princess Leena

Hopefully we get above 50 posts here.

Roger Federer is winning the men's crown.

The women's side is wide open with tons o' suckiness.

Also, Andre Agassi is finally retiring this year after the US Open. So, this will be his last Wimbledon. I'll miss him lots... his maturing in the past 7 years is very inspiring to me, and surely to many others. It will be weird not seeing him in grand slam play, as he's been a fixture on TV nearly my entire life.

It starts Monday.

And please cheer against Penis Williams. For me.

I'm going with Justine winning in an upset over your boy Venus just because her draw is as easy as possible. I'd like to see Federer win and Nadal lose in the 1st or 2nd round.

Guest Princess Leena

Justine is also my pick, but I'm still not sold on her current style of play working on grass.

I'm seriously thinking Vaidisova can win this... nobody else on the women's side is striking my fancy. Penis just can't win again like last year, relying on everywhere else fading away against her.

I'm really glad that Andre Agassi is finally returning after being plagued by injuries almost the entire year. He's one of my all-time favorites and I hope he makes it as far as possible this year.

Roger Federer is taking the Title again this year, of that I have absolutely no doubts.

On the women's side, I have no idea, as most of the time I find women's tennis pretty boring. Leena, do you just hate Venus or Serena as well? I actually kind of like Serena's playing.

Guest Princess Leena

Well, I don't really hate Venus or Serena.

My only problem with them is their aloof attitude in the past few years... half-assing their tennis careers to be a designer, F-level actress, or whoring it up in the Bahamas, whatever they do. It's especially sad with Serena, as she should be amongst the greatest players of all-time by now.

I also hope Andre has a good run here. A possible 3rd round match with Nadal could be a great one... and I think if Andre holds up physically, he should win that.

So Andre and Rafa could meet on the third round? That sounds mighty interesting. I know I'll be rooting for Andre on that one all the way, specially since I just found out that apparently he's announced his retirement last night. It'll be sad to watch Andre go, he's truly one of the greats.

I guess I'll go on a limb and pick Federer to win. I'm conflicted with Nadal, I'd to see him face Federer, it'd be good for the sport, but I won't root against Andre. Ican't wait to see him at the US Open, the response will be great.

Women's - just put names in a hat. Leena, I'm Xenophobic so I will root for Venus.

Leena, I'm gonna pick the final 16, granted I might get half right, but I love me some good speculating.

Men's

Federer v. Haas

Roberdo v. Ancic

Nalbandian v. Ferrero

Johansson v. Philippoussis

Hewitt v. Safin

Grosjean v. Roddick

Ljubicic v. Nieminen

Gaudio v. Nadal (Damnit, I'll root for Agassi, but Nadal's on a mission)

Can't wait for the potential of Federer-Henman in Round 2.

Guest Princess Leena

My final 16 on the men's side:

Federer v. Berdych.

Monfils v. Ancic (but hoping for Karlovic :()

Fat Dave v. Malisse

Bracciali v. Blake

Hewitt v. Gonzalez

Grosjean v. Roddick

Ljubicic v. Big Dick Norman

Fish v. Nadal.

If Flip makes the Round of 16, I'll scream. :P

Roger would kill Timbledon, unfortunately. :(

I'd like to see a Federer/Nadal final, but it won't happen. They're never going to face each other in a major final other than the French. They're always the 1 and 2 seeds, and can't face off until the finals, which Nadal won't sniff.

I'd like to see a Federer/Nadal final, but it won't happen. They're never going to face each other in a major final other than the French. They're always the 1 and 2 seeds, and can't face off until the finals, which Nadal won't sniff.

This is one of the reasons I think the argument I've heard since the French finals - that Nadal might be better than Federer because his record against Federer is so good - is a bunch of BS. The reason Nadal consistently beats Federer when they play is because they almost only play on clay. On the other surfaces Federer makes the final and Nadal gets bounced and so they have no chance to meet up. I don't see how people could seriously claim Nadal is better than Federer if Nadal is winning the French Open every year beating Roger in the final, while Fed wins two or all three of the other majors and Rafa is getting knocked out by the quarters.

One day in and it pours with rain. Man, isn't England great?

With Henman winding down his career and Rusedski half-Canadian, this year is MurrayMania year, the first of many I'm sure. He's still only a kid though and he doesn't have enough big tournament seasoning, so all the pressure that's going to be heaped on his shoulders and the expectation is going to be typically English- over the top and desperate. Finger crossed for him though, he seems like a decent guy.

If Federer wins his first 2 games there will be no stopping him, he usually does not find his best form until week 2 so if anyone is to beat him then it will probably Henman.

Womens draw is wide open, however I think Henin-Hardenne will win it, with her draw though Sharapova should make it to the semi's at least if she is playing well.

I have tickets to court 1 on Wednesday, hopefully we will see some decent match ups.

Guest Princess Leena

With Henman winding down his career and Rusedski half-Canadian, this year is MurrayMania year, the first of many I'm sure. He's still only a kid though and he doesn't have enough big tournament seasoning, so all the pressure that's going to be heaped on his shoulders and the expectation is going to be typically English- over the top and desperate. Finger crossed for him though, he seems like a decent guy.

No.

Mopey Murray is not a decent guy. Read just about any of his interviews, or what a little bitch he turns into when he's losing. He is simply not likable. Even by evil like me.

He already makes me long for the days of Timbledon.

Well, he's been a semi finalist in Grand Slams a few times and been ranked no 4 in the world. For British tennis that is a big deal. I think the average Brit generally doesnt care too much about tennis beyond Wimbledon anyway.

Guest Princess Leena
Well, he's been a semi finalist in Grand Slams a few times and been ranked no 4 in the world. For British tennis that is a big deal. I think the average Brit generally doesnt care too much about tennis beyond Wimbledon anyway.

Yeah, Tim has had a respectful career... but, his popularity only comes from being a decent Brit.

Wimbledon is the best grand slam tennis ever. Sure better than the Aussie or US Open.

US Open, you can make a case for. Aussie Open, hell no. The event is HUGE there, and they get way more fans than any other grand slam.

But, all of Wimbledon's stupid "traditions" really hamper it, IMO.

Apparantly, they're finally planning to put a roof on Centre Court. Still don't know why it's taken them so long.

No.

Mopey Murray is not a decent guy. Read just about any of his interviews, or what a little bitch he turns into when he's losing. He is simply not likable. Even by evil like me.

He already makes me long for the days of Timbledon.

I dunno, I like him as a player. He does seem a little uninterested when he's talking in person, but I'm not going to criticise him for reacting badly when he's losing. Maybe because that's how I always played tennis (when I did. Badly.). I see a lot of MacEnroe in him, maybe because of the hair, but he seems that sort of a player.

He looked good yesterday. Far too soon for him to make a challenge, but in a couple of years maybe.

Guest The Beta Male
Fuck Tim Henman. he has a Hill named after him yet he's never done ANYTHING of note except being British. and losing.

lets not forget what that hill consists of... losers who failed to get tickets, watching another guy inevitibly fail.

he did nothing to warrant his own hill, i bet if they`d called it "disgrace mountain" or "failure mound" and refused to change it unless he won, he`d have stepped his game up.. but no no, why bother when an entire nation of repressed housewives will cheer him on, simply on the basis that his whites are PERSIL white?

i wouldn`t mind so much but EVERY year they build him up and EVERY year he falls flat on his ass.

Guest Princess Leena
I dunno, I like him as a player. He does seem a little uninterested when he's talking in person, but I'm not going to criticise him for reacting badly when he's losing. Maybe because that's how I always played tennis (when I did. Badly.). I see a lot of MacEnroe in him, maybe because of the hair, but he seems that sort of a player.

He looked good yesterday. Far too soon for him to make a challenge, but in a couple of years maybe.

I can't deny his talent. Although, he still has LONG way to go to be a threat in any serious field, let alone a grand slam. The stupid hype and pressure he's getting now is much too early, and could really damage him, if it hasn't already.

Guest Princess Leena

Fuck Tim Henman. he has a Hill named after him yet he's never done ANYTHING of note except being British. and losing.

lets not forget what that hill consists of... losers who failed to get tickets, watching another guy inevitibly fail.

he did nothing to warrant his own hill, i bet if they`d called it "disgrace mountain" or "failure mound" and refused to change it unless he won, he`d have stepped his game up.. but no no, why bother when an entire nation of repressed housewives will cheer him on, simply on the basis that his whites are PERSIL white?

i wouldn`t mind so much but EVERY year they build him up and EVERY year he falls flat on his ass.

Tim has been the best British male player in 70 years. I guess that warrants it.

As far as your silly Brits always being built up, blame that on your ridiculous media. :)

I can't deny his talent. Although, he still has LONG way to go to be a threat in any serious field, let alone a grand slam. The stupid hype and pressure he's getting now is much too early, and could really damage him, if it hasn't already.

That's the way the British media does things, unfortunately. Especially with Wimbledon. I don't think anyone really cares either way if Henman goes out in the first round or gets to the semis at the U.S or the Australian. But Wimbledon is 'our' tournament, apparantly. And because nobody British has won in eons, they get desperate to jump on the bandwagon. Same deal with the World Cup. It doesn't help that Murray's young too, because young talents are even more marketable.

Murray needs to get the right coach. People keep mentioning Agassi because Murray's a big fan and they had some sort of training match or something before Wimbledon, but that's probably just joining the dots where they don't neccessarily join.

Guest The Beta Male
Tim has been the best British male player in 70 years. I guess that warrants it.

As far as your silly Brits always being built up, blame that on your ridiculous media. :)

exactly, our BEST player is quite low on the global tennis food chain, the sooner commentators accept this, the better.

and you`re right about the media, if the tabloids didn`t splash him on the front pages (except this year, when he was jilted in favour of the world cup) then his hill wouldn`t be populated by people in "cut out n keep" masks.

or union jack face paint.

Maybe we should follow the US`s World Cup example: "if you know you`re going to lose, pretend you don`t care"....

p.s - the irony of an american calling another nations media "ridiculous" is not lost on me ;)

Well I guess all the Tim Henman conversation is moot because he lost against Federer 3 sets to love.

And Rafa Nadal is struggling with some american kid and is down two sets to love. Come on, I want my Agassi vs Nadal, dammit!

EDIT: Nadal barely managed to win the game in five sets against this american kid that came from the qualy. Let's see how he fares against Andre next. Go Agassi!!

Guest Princess Leena

I like Andre's chances. Bless Rafa for his fight, but his game translates so poorly to grass.

And Penis barely survives as Raymond chokes the match away. Yay, now we'll get the "Champion", "Fighter", "Queen of Grass" garbage for Penis when she bullshits her way to another title via other players dying.

Federer destroying Henman was expected but kinda sad. I dont even know who Rusedski lost to.

Murray looks good to go through, although I dont really like him. He's a bit of a whiny bastard, as I think Leena said earlier in the thread.

Guest Princess Leena

Greg lost to Safin. Which was a shame.

If Murray wins, he'll lose to Roddick in the all-brat 3rd round matchup.

David Nalbandian and James Blake both lost which pretty much gives Federer a bunch of practice games against jobbers before the finals, other than maybe a somewhat interesting matchup with Ancic. He will probably end up playing Roddick or Hewitt in the finals.