TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Sports Mt.Rushmore

I'm saying it again. JIM THORPE. Easily a good candidate for it. He was one of the best football players out there, dabbled in major league baseball and even won gold medals in the Olympics. What more do you want?

In all seriousness, I don't know of many casual sports fans who would recognize Jim Thorpe's face. His achievements are worthy for sure, but I don't know if many people could ID him with a simple picture.

Here is mine...

Joe Louis - In my opinion, the greatest Heavyweight boxer of all time. He was the 1st black athlete that actually got accepted by white people, he really broke the color barrier for boxing atleast.

Wayne Gretzky - Greatest hockey player, and one of the greatest athletes of all time. His records still amaze everyone, and it's hard to see another Wayne Gretzky coming into the picture.

Michael Jordan - Although I don't think he is the greatest basketball player of all time(Bill Russell and Magic Johnson were better IMO), he is the most recognized Basketball player of all time. He deverse the spot.

Walter Payton - One of the most charismatic athlete's and one of the greatest football players of all time. When I played RB, I use to watch old tapes of him and tried to translate my game after him.

I'm saying it again. JIM THORPE. Easily a good candidate for it. He was one of the best football players out there, dabbled in major league baseball and even won gold medals in the Olympics. What more do you want?

In all seriousness, I don't know of many casual sports fans who would recognize Jim Thorpe's face. His achievements are worthy for sure, but I don't know if many people could ID him with a simple picture.

If you 4 of the greatest sport's figures from a political point of view then it has to be:

1. Jim Thorpe - Native American that was a multiple sport champion

2. Jackie Robinson - 1st black player in MLB

3. Muhammond Ali - went to jail for his believes

4. Billy Jean King - 70's feminalist

Trying to set my football bias aside, I give you:

Michael Jordan, Lou Gehrig, Jesse Owens, Rocky Marciano

Rocky Marciano doesn't deverse to be on there. I can name problay 20 boxers who deverse to be on there more then Marciano. Marciano fought some of the weakest comp in HW history, most of his wins were against blown up LHW's, and even then he struggled with them.

Other then that, good list.

Yes, you're more than likely right on the money about RM, I was trying to think outside the usual Ali, Frazier, Louis... etc.. mold. I probably should stay away from naming good boxers as I do not have competant information on the matter.

I was also thinking in terms that Teddy Roosevelt just seems kind of out of left field as far as "great presidents" go on the original Rushmore, so I was also trying to kind of go with that one.

(Not disputing Teddy wasn't a good president, just I don't think he was top 4 for the time period Mt. Rushmore was built. Jefferson too, a strong arguement AGAINST him could be made, but this is a sports folder)

Thanks for your critique! :)

Sugar Ray Robinson could be another boxing candidate. Best pound-for-pound fighter ever IMHO.

Mine would be...

Babe Ruth

Walter Payton

Magic Johnson

Arnold Palmer

I like how players get compared to Magic, despite the fact that there will never be another one, much like Jordan. I wish he could have played longer. :(

Guest Felonies!
I was also thinking in terms that Teddy Roosevelt just seems kind of out of left field as far as "great presidents" go on the original Rushmore, so I was also trying to kind of go with that one.

(Not disputing Teddy wasn't a good president, just I don't think he was top 4 for the time period Mt. Rushmore was built. Jefferson too, a strong arguement AGAINST him could be made, but this is a sports folder)

Of course Jefferson and TR were worthy at the time, and still are. To whom would you give those spots instead, then? I don't think you have competant[sic] information on this matter, either.

Sugar Ray Robinson could be another boxing candidate. Best pound-for-pound fighter ever IMHO.

Agreed, he was the best pound for pound boxer, but he never made as big of impact on the sport of boxing like the famous heavyweight boxers have. Joe Louis, Muhammad Ali, Jack Dempsey, Jack Johnson had the biggest impact on boxing, in my opinion, any of those 4 should be the representive of boxing.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Historical subthread: TR was responsible for the national parks service. He deserves to have his visage on a monument in a national park.

Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly

Jordan, Lombardi, Ali and Babe Ruth.