TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

OAO Impact Thread - July/13th/2006.

Yeah, lets use the opening show to focus on insulting our competition rather than, you know, having a wrestling match or advancing a TNA storyline.

TNA is doing old school ECW better than Sci-Fi ECW! Rhyno as the new Shane Douglas > Flair as the new Funk

Except Douglas throwing down the NWA title actually started up a new promotion, while Rhino burning the ECW title tells us ECW is dead, which we all already knew anyways. Waste of time.

Yeah, lets use the opening show to focus on insulting our competition rather than, you know, having a wrestling match or advancing a TNA storyline.

TNA is doing old school ECW better than Sci-Fi ECW! Rhyno as the new Shane Douglas > Flair as the new Funk

Except Douglas throwing down the NWA title actually started up a new promotion, while Rhino burning the ECW title tells us ECW is dead, which we all already knew anyways. Waste of time.

It got people talking about Rhyno....rising from the ashes of the extreme comes the birth of bizarro planet jarrett (ECWCW) where Rhyno, Abyss, Joe, Senshi stiff the shit out of their opponets beyond the limits of the extreme.

Technically, Douglas's throwing down the NWA title didn't actually start a new promotion. It was just Douglas declaring that the NWA was dead and the beginning on a new era for Eastern Championship Wrestling, that being the change to Extreme Championship Wrestling.

I'm curious as to what the long term repercussions will be. Will this be a turning point for TNA or just another angle?

Rhino/Brown?

They should have them charge at each other with their finishers to see what happens.

Only if they play the Benny Hill theme over the speakers the entire time.

Rhino/Brown?

They should have them charge at each other with their finishers to see what happens.

The ring would collapse and the world as we know it would implode into a blackhole.

Technically, Douglas's throwing down the NWA title didn't actually start a new promotion. It was just Douglas declaring that the NWA was dead and the beginning on a new era for Eastern Championship Wrestling, that being the change to Extreme Championship Wrestling.

Yeah, obviously. This is a hardcore wrestling fan forum so I figured I didn't need to type the history of it in depth. The point stands nonetheless. The segment was nothing but focusing on why WWE sucks. The new era of TNA will be when Joe wins the title, not when Rhino burns up a defunct title that hasn't meant anything in five years.

What was the point then?

These victory road promos for the title situation have been real good. I actually like the Jarrett one that was just on. Very simple but effective stuff.

The point? You nailed it I think. It was to show how ECW sucks. It also got Rhino over with the crowd even more...I don't think I never saw the crowd that noisy for Rhino. It's just one of those things that you either hate a promotion to do or you love it. I personally found it entertaining.

What was the point then?

These victory road promos for the title situation have been real good. I actually like the Jarrett one that was just on. Very simple but effective stuff.

Yeah, that was one of Jarrett's best promos in a long time. Liked him denying he had anything to do with Larry Z/Hebner's actions and saying he'd take a lie detector/polygraph test to prove it.

The point was to jump on the bandwagon and transfer the anti-ECW heat into pro-Rhino heat.

I'm sure it was a good promo and all, but it seemed like a really cheap, bushleague move. And this is coming from a TNA supporter.

To shift gears a bit, anyone else think Lethal's challenging Jarrett next week instead of Senshi? I know they were pushing that Lethal would go for the X-title, but if that were the match, I think they would have confirmed it. I'm almost sure they'll go for the plucky underdog match next with Jarrett, which gives them a title match on TV to draw with and makes sense since Jarrett's not defending the title on the PPV. And, IIRC, Lethal and Jarrett worked together on the NJ house show last month and reportedly had a decent match.

Guest Doombiscuit

How was the Styles/Daniels v Shelly/Devine match? Sounded like it could be really good but it didn't seem to get musch time from the reports I read. I hope Shelly got a good go, TNA really needs to get some new people over

I enjoyed last nights show. It was a good show to set up the final card for Sunday. Don't really care about 3D vs James Gang/Abyss because I don't care about James Gang.

I liked AJ/Daniels vs Shelly/Devine. It was a solid match and I like the new team of Shelly/Devine. I still don't know where Kevin Nash falls into this. Is he going to end up just being their manager or what?

I think that The Naturals will loose on Sunday and then Douglas will drop them and that will be the end of it, unless they come out with their hair cut. I've read that because of the refusal that the push might be dropped, and that's the way to do it. Loose and then Douglas drops them.

As usual, TNA's buildup to their PPV was fantastic. Could those video packages get any better?

Team Canada breaking up will prove interesting. I'm guessing Roode w/Traci goes on his own, Petey goes back to the X Division (thank god) and A1 and Eric Young tag team it with D'Amore as manager. The possibilities are good.

And it looks like Jay Lethal vs Low Ki at the next Impact! I wish it was on the PPV instead :(

As for Rhyno's promo, it gets TNA fans riled up, so I'm cool with it. And he's saying what we all know and feel about the current ECW. I don't see why that's "pointless," he's voicing the opinion of most true wrestling fans. Now hopefully he doesn't drag it out though...

I look forward to seeing this show, im all for Rhino bashing the new ECW.

The final card for Victory road looks good, especially Nash/Shelly vs Sabin/Lethal.

The point was to jump on the bandwagon and transfer the anti-ECW heat into pro-Rhino heat.

It made Rhino look like a bitter, pissed off crybaby more than anything. And last I recall Rhino was exactly the heat and soul of ECW.

I really want TNA to do good but when the most talked about thing on your show a FEW NIGHTS BEFORE A PPV is bashig the competition, I have to agree with what Heyman said a few months ago. But hopefully this will give Rhino heat for his nothing match against Monty on Sunday, which most fans probably forgot about in the first place.

It made Rhino look like a bitter, pissed off crybaby more than anything. And last I recall Rhino was exactly the heat and soul of ECW.

How exactly can someone be bitter when they turned DOWN an offer. What it looked like was one of the final guys standing up and saying, "ECW has been dead for years and it's time to finally give her a proper burial", so he lit it up and the funeral was finally done.

I thought it would come off bad and horrible but I actually like how Rhino did it.

How exactly can someone be bitter when they turned DOWN an offer.

It made him look stupid. "How can you have ECW without it's last champion?" Easily, since they got the ECW guys that actually mattered besides Raven, Douglas and maybe the Dudleys. He's bitter that he's not as important as he thinks he is, or at least that's how he looked last night.

What it looked like was one of the final guys standing up and saying, "ECW has been dead for years and it's time to finally give her a proper burial", so he lit it up and the funeral was finally done.

But we know ECW has been dead. Why bring up the past? Isn't that what he was bashing WWE for? The old ECW title has nothing to do with the WWE product anyways. Nobody will care about this in a few months and there is no reason why they should. Instead of doing this type of thing TNA should take advatange of the awful WWECW failure by...putting on good matches and angles! Why isn't that a novel idea. Instead they chose to open their pre-PPV show by talking about the competition.

Who is the WWE fighting at Victory Road, anyways? The heat should be off the chart for that match.

He's bashing the WWE for bringing it back and not having it the way it's supposed to be. Yea he brought back mention of ECW and its past, but he only did that to put it away for good with the burning. I've been reading around and there's not as much backlash of this angle that I thought it would have. I liked it and I'm interested to see a more agressive and meaner Rhino. I dunno if you can have Monty lose here especially with him starting his own win streak just a few weeks ago. Nor do I think Rhino can lose, obviously with this push he's getting.

He's bashing the WWE for bringing it back and not having it the way it's supposed to be. Yea he brought back mention of ECW and its past, but he only did that to put it away for good with the burning. I've been reading around and there's not as much backlash of this angle that I thought it would have. I liked it and I'm interested to see a more agressive and meaner Rhino. I dunno if you can have Monty lose here especially with him starting his own win streak just a few weeks ago. Nor do I think Rhino can lose, obviously with this push he's getting.

Yeah, they slammed themselves into another corner. I don't get why they do that, why can't wrestling companies find some writers and bookers who don't constantly back themselves into corners?

I think TNA is fine with Monty Brown loosing right now. I remember reading that TNA wanted to train Brown some more so he could look better in the ring but Brown didn't want to. Plus there's been talk that Brown wants to put his gym and being a personnal trainer first on his agenda, with TNA second.

Yea I read that too. But Monty started his win streak and made such a big deal about it just starting at the last ppv. I'm guessing some sort of non-finish to end it.