TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest messiahtype

Wrestlers with extreme heat and where and why it started?..

He knocked him silly - well damn all these years of Warrior being weird and it's all because Rude punched him in the head ;)

I think Shawn/HHH refusing to work that much with Owen is quite obvious after Montreal and Bret and everything.

It's not hard to think what would be going through HBK's head when he pictures a spot where he has to take a piledriver from Bret Hart's brother.

Yes, because Owen really liked going around and intentionally breaking necks with botched piledrivers.

Did he really now? Explain this to me in detail.

I didn't say that Owen would have intentionally done anything. But that Micheals refused to work with him strongly suggests that he (Micheals) was worried that he might. Paranoia? Maybe. But if I were in his shoes I wouldn't work with anybody who had a rep for being tight with Bret Hart.

I was being sarcastic... and yes, you did imply that Owen would have intentionally injured Shawn in the name of avenging Bret. Shawn Michaels didn't want to work with Owen because he didn't want to give Owen the rub. Owen upon his return as the "Black Heart" was getting over with the fans. DX started the whole 'nugget' thing with Owen, that last turd that won't flush down the toilet, etc. Shawn was supposed to drop the European Title to him and refused, pretty much forcing Owen right back into mid card because neither DX or Austin would work with him. I highly doubt it was because Shawn feared Owen would beat him up - even more so intentionally break his neck - but more likely he was just being the self serving prick that he was.

and yes, you did imply that Owen would have intentionally injured Shawn in the name of avenging Bret.

Nope, I didn't. I only said that said that Shawn would have thought he would. I agree that Shawn was a self-serving prick, and such people tend to see their own bullshit in others, whether or not it's actually there. Everything everyone has ever said about Owen indicates that he was a good guy who never do something so vindictive.

Guest BrokenWings
Austin still assumed he would drop to his knees, for whatever reason.

As far as I know, Austin thought Owen was just ribbing him, and basically said "ha ha, yeah right...seriously, your knees."

And because Austin was mistaken in assuming Owen's intentions after Owen said he'd drop to his ass, that makes Owen a sloppy wrestler? They should have clarified the spot, or not done it at all. I've never seen a tombstone piledriver where the wrestler taking it is facing outwards. But that may just be ignorance on my behalf. Feel free to correct me.

How about some background on these fueds:

Savage/Hawk

Austin and Rock vs HHH

Curt Henning/HBK

Not saying this is what Owen would have done or anything, but if I were in the situation, I would definitely stiff Shawn a little by stretching him a bit and hitting harder clotheslines and such. Call it unprofessional, but what Shawn did was even more unprofessional.

Also, you can't discount that Shawn may have thought Owen would legitemately submit him or choke him out in order to get him back. It would have been a possibility.

Knowing how Owen was, though, I think it never would have happened. He made the decision to come back to the WWF, and in doing so I think he was going to be a total professional.

And because Austin was mistaken in assuming Owen's intentions after Owen said he'd drop to his ass, that makes Owen a sloppy wrestler?

No, I was just saying that Austin thought he was joking; thus, the reason he figured Owen would do it normally (cuz you said "whatever reason" - I think this is part of the reason).

I fully agree that they should've clarified the spot, and I don't think Owen is a sloppy worker; I think it was just a matter of mis-communication.

The only person Matt Hardy should be mad at is himself. How could he not know that he would be turned into a jobber once returing. If Hardy thought he would get a strong push, he's blind as a bat.

Well, to be fair to him, he had a shitload of the crowd behind him. I guess to fool him though, Vince thought "bringing him out of my limo and introducing him" would get him over.

I actually think Vince had the thought of pushing Matt... but Matt happened to cut one of the worst returning promos I've ever seen... by the end of it, he didn't even have half the crowd support from when he first made his entrance.

Every time this gets brought up, no one ever mentions the fact that Owen told Austin that he drops to his ass. Austin still assumed he would drop to his knees, for whatever reason. He picked Austin up to in a manner of which to drop to his ass, rather than going for a tombstone. They did not agree on the spot, each leaving with their own perception of how it would go, and thus shouldn't have done it.

To say that Owen was a sloppy wrestler, overall, is wrong and unjust. Accidents happen. It could, and should, have been prevented by both guys in the ring.

The same thing with D-Lo Brown, he slipped on somthing thrown the ring and broke Droz's neck. Before then he looked like he was a future main eventer, but after that happend they fucked him over, and had him as a jobber for the rest of his career.

Nah, D'Lo got screwed because I think Russo was high on him, and Vince didn't really wanna push him that much. D'Lo signed a big contract extension right around the time Russo left for WCW, and if he didn't we probably would have had D'Lo Brown 3 time WCW Champion. You also have to remember Vince really liked Droz, and that's another reason why for the depush... I'm sure if he liked D'Lo as much as Droz, there wouldn't have been that much of a problem.

Regarding the Shawn/Owen stuff, wasn't it years later before Shawn actually admitted he was in on the screwjob. There's no doubt he had heat with Bret but at the time of the Owen program he would've still been denying knowledge of the screwjob.

Regarding the Shawn/Owen stuff, wasn't it years later before Shawn actually admitted he was in on the screwjob. There's no doubt he had heat with Bret but at the time of the Owen program he would've still been denying knowledge of the screwjob.

That's true. It was only until about two years ago when he came back to WWE full time and did that interview on the saturday night show (I forget what it was called...the one where they usually devoted each episode to a different topic...) that he admitted he was in on the whole thing.

That's true. It was only until about two years ago when he came back to WWE full time and did that interview on the saturday night show (I forget what it was called...the one where they usually devoted each episode to a different topic...) that he admitted he was in on the whole thing.

That show was "Confidential".

And yeah, while Shawn denied any involvement with the screwjob plot for years, i'm pretty sure anybody with any knowledge of the business figured he was BS'ing.

Guest Hadley

Actually, according to goldberg's book, the reason he didnt want to work with jericho was because goldberg didnt like jericho's use of comedy to build feuds (bore-us malenko, trophy collector, 1005 moves, etc) as he thinks theres no room for comedy in wrestling. Dont ask me why he feuded with Nash though, who was just as guilty as using comedy as jericho was.

Guest netslob
I was being sarcastic... and yes, you did imply that Owen would have intentionally injured Shawn in the name of avenging Bret. Shawn Michaels didn't want to work with Owen because he didn't want to give Owen the rub. Owen upon his return as the "Black Heart" was getting over with the fans. DX started the whole 'nugget' thing with Owen, that last turd that won't flush down the toilet, etc. Shawn was supposed to drop the European Title to him and refused, pretty much forcing Owen right back into mid card because neither DX or Austin would work with him. I highly doubt it was because Shawn feared Owen would beat him up - even more so intentionally break his neck - but more likely he was just being the self serving prick that he is.

EFA

Guest messiahtype

thnaks for all the great replies..add more if you have any other stories..

How about some background on these fueds:

Savage/Hawk

I think this one started over both guys being after the same girl or something. They got into some kind of skirmish in Japan, I think backstage at one of the New Japan Dome shows where both guys were taking part. A few years later at a Kid Rock concert, Hawk and his wife were backstage when Savage and his then girlfriend Gorgeous George confronted them and Savage hit Hawk with a suckerpunch but Hawk didn't go down. Hawk joked about it in an interview, because he was sick at the time and he remarked on how Savage suckerpunched him when he was ill and Savage still couldn't knock him out.

About Bruno/Vince:

Bruno blames vince for David's drug habbit and david not talking to Bruno for years.

Guest The Beta Male
Well thank god you are not a wrestler then, because that is totally unprofessional. Even Shawn and Bret in the ring together didn't jepordize each other's body. Nobody has the right to intentionally injure someone in the ring. If someone is that determined to injure someone, don't be a pussy and do it in the ring when you can use it being "an accident" to cover up what you did.

spot on.

you can hate the guts of whoever is standing across the ring from you, but professionalism comes first at all times and you should both be there to have a great match. To intentionally injure someone would be career suicide both in terms of who`ll hire and who`ll be prepared to work with you.

the exception to this seems to be New Jack of course, who continues to take bookings of varying levels, but i guess brutality IS his selling point (i don`t want to say gimmick as that implies it`s a put on, whereas NJ is just a legit hard fucker)

Well, you do what's right for you, and I'll do what's right for me... if somebody did to my brother what Shawn did to Bret, that person could expect a "misunderstanding" whenever I saw him. If that cost me my job... I'm sure I could find another job doing something.

But, you know what? I sincerely doubt that there's another promotion in the world that would have been unwilling to hire Owen if he'd taken liberties with Shawn Michaels. Nor do I believe that most people would have been unwilling to work with him, because I'm sure that most people would have been able to understand where he was coming from, and even sympathise with him.

Guest HighBorg
I know that this site has probably been posted a million and one times, but still...

http://www.armpitwrestling.com/Backstage%20Fights.htm

It notes almost every fight in WWE/WCW/ECW/Other history.

Huge thanks for the link! That was a really interesting read! Is there any other website that talk about real-life situation of wrestlers? B-)

Guest The Beta Male
Well, you do what's right for you, and I'll do what's right for me... if somebody did to my brother what Shawn did to Bret, that person could expect a "misunderstanding" whenever I saw him. If that cost me my job... I'm sure I could find another job doing something.

whenever you saw him??... going out on a limb, you still chant "you screwed Bret" at the tv don`t you :P

But, you know what? I sincerely doubt that there's another promotion in the world that would have been unwilling to hire Owen if he'd taken liberties with Shawn Michaels. Nor do I believe that most people would have been unwilling to work with him, because I'm sure that most people would have been able to understand where he was coming from, and even sympathise with him.

probably true, but owen had a decent reputation in the business and was well respected and liked, people would probably have understood to a degree.

i wasn`t talking about a particular case though, i meant in general, if you get a rep for being a sloppy worker or hurting people needlessly then it WILL shorten your career, that`s just the way it is (unless you`re 6'8" or up, then you get hired to squash cruisers, no matter how poorly ;) )

whenever you saw him??... going out on a limb, you still chant "you screwed Bret" at the tv don`t you :P
No, I don't chant at my television. :P I have no problem admitting that I still mark for Bret Hart, but not that fucking hard.

probably true, but owen had a decent reputation in the business and was well respected and liked, people would probably have understood to a degree.

i wasn`t talking about a particular case though, i meant in general, if you get a rep for being a sloppy worker or hurting people needlessly then it WILL shorten your career, that`s just the way it is (unless you`re 6'8" or up, then you get hired to squash cruisers, no matter how poorly ;) )

Maybe so, but I think that it's debateable whether something that could clearly be determined to be an isolated and unique incident would be enough to brand somebody as being a sloppy worker or unprofessional; I mean, if I'd been wrestling for 10-15+ years like Owen had, and after having a spotless record, I took liberties with a particular wrestler over a highly publicized personal issue, I don't think that that would earn me the reputation of being a sloppy worker. Or maybe not even unprofessional.