TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

PS3 .VS. Wii .VS. Xbox 360?

123 members have voted

1. 1. What should I get?/What are you getting?

• PlayStation 3
    • Wii
    • Xbox 360

<_<)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(<_< @ Aug 13 2006, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Is FFXIII PS3 exclusive?

That's a tricky question: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIII

Along with Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Agito XIII for the mobile phone and Final Fantasy Versus XIII, an action game for the PlayStation 3 made by the Kingdom Hearts team, make up three facets of the overall project known as Fabula Nova Crystallis: Final Fantasy XIII.

According to Square Enix, Final Fantasy XIII is neither a prequel or a sequel to Final Fantasy Agito XIII or Final Fantasy Versus XIII. Square Enix has explained that although all three games take place in the same universe, they are not directly related. [4] Square also announced that there will be still other titles in the Fabula Nova Crystallis series, though they have not indicated how many. A diagram was shown with three empty circles around the Fabula Nova Crystallis logo, so it is possible there will be another three titles in the series.

So yes and no. Ultimately, the game most people consider the real XIII is currently only scheduled for PS3.

What good titles are announced for the system, outside of a Zelda game that will be released on the Gamecube as well?

If you're seriously asking that question, you're too lazy to even look at a list of announced titles.

By the way, the 3 titles that have totally sold you on PS3 aren't even coming out this year. MGS4 Q1 07 if you're lucky. FFXIII is probably '08.

You sure pegged me. Actually, the point of the question was so that I might understand why the Wii is getting this insane hype. But as for titles I've noted, the new Super Mario game will probably be good, but it's not a system seller for me. Metroid 3 I can take or leave. I'm not sold on the Fire Emblem games. And outside that, there doesn't seem to be anything to speak of, as far as concrete, announced titles go (please don't bring up Super Smash Bros).

And I don't see what relevance the release dates of those PS3 games have. I never said I was going to buy on launch, and in fact, I never buy systems at launch, unless they're loaded with tons of quality launch titles (which rarely seems to be the case). The point is, Sony has a history of solid 3rd party support, and a bunch of great game series'. I certainly want to play my Final Fantasy, Gran Turismo, Ace Combat, Metal Gear Solid, Virtua Fighter and NIS games, so I'll go with the system that has them (which would appear to be the PS3). I'll probably end up buying a Wii too, because I think they'll end up with some solid exclusives as well. Whats leads me to question the Wii currently, is that I just don't get all the crazy hype the Wii is getting, considering that it seems to me that PS3 has the more impressive software lineup right now.

As far as I can tell, the only real complaint about the PS3 is the price tag. People were excited about it until E3, but after the $600 announcement, people turned on it pretty hard. I guess that's understandable since the price is pretty ridiculous, but like all systems it will come down eventually. I don't think too many people are complaining about the library. Just the price.

Yea that's true. I can understand a bit of grumbling over the price (it does suck), but I guess what I don't get is the attitude of some people who are completely swearing off the system, along with the subsequent overreaction to the Wii. I mean, I'm annoyed at the price too, but I also realize that the only way to play some of these games will be to take out a 2nd mortgage and buy the system. I get the feeling that many of the people raising a big stink about it know that too.

Heres my thing:

I think the 360 is overpriced.

If you can't bring a system to market at $299, then hold off until you can.

but to more than double that?

Thats a fat fat portion of my paycheck right there, and there is NO reason I should be spending over $700 at one time for VIDEOGAMES.

Guest Princess Leena

How long until the price comes down, though... especially if Blu-Ray wins their battle. It wouldn't drop to $300 or less until PS4 is out.

That's what I'm worried about. When does the price come down, 18 months, 2 years? Isn't that about the timeframe for when PS2's price dropped? And how much did it drop anyway, $50? $100? That would take the basic PS3 price from $550 CDN to $450 or $500. Hurray :(

PS2 came out in Oct 2000 and I don't think the price dropped until E3 2002, if I remember correctly. But that's mostly because it was still selling like crazy at $299. If PS3 runs into a sales lull earlier because of the price, they'd likely bring the price down earlier.

Since the BluRay technology is what's driving the price so high, a more interesting comparison for me is how fast DVD prices started to come down. Does anyone have any idea how fast DVD player prices dropped the first couple years after it came out?

I think the days of $300 consoles are numbered given the complexities of the hardware needed to push the graphics and the fact that basically what a console is now is a computer (hard drive, complex optical drive, internet, usb ports..). Nintendo is the last because they are behind given no hard drive or increased graphical ability.

Guest Princess Leena

Take in account also that each PS3 made is losing significant money. And with the new hip fad of purposely releasing far less consoles near release to keep demand up, the price ain't dropping much.

PS2 came out in Oct 2000 and I don't think the price dropped until E3 2002, if I remember correctly. But that's mostly because it was still selling like crazy at $299. If PS3 runs into a sales lull earlier because of the price, they'd likely bring the price down earlier.

Since the BluRay technology is what's driving the price so high, a more interesting comparison for me is how fast DVD prices started to come down. Does anyone have any idea how fast DVD player prices dropped the first couple years after it came out?

Some manufacturers originally announced that DVD players would be available as early as the middle of 1996. These predictions were woefully optimistic. Delivery was initially held up for "political" reasons of copy protection demanded by movie studios, but was later delayed by lack of titles. The first players appeared in Japan in November, 1996, followed by U.S. players in March, 1997, with distribution limited to only 7 major cities for the first 6 months. Players slowly trickled in to other regions around the world. Prices for the first players in 1997 were $1000 and up. By the end of 2000, players were available for under $100 at discount retailers. In 2003 players became available for under $50. Six years after the initial launch, close to one thousand models of DVD players were available from over a hundred consumer electronics manufacturers

DVD FAQ (Theres more info on that page..but it looks to be out of date by about 3 years) I Also dont think the price in 2000 had dropped below $100, I think it was closer to $200 cause the PS2 at $299 was seen as a good deal because it had a DVD player.

Consider that Blu-Ray players are launching at the same price as the first DVD players. I doubt you'll see BR players for under $300 in 3 years though because I dont see people flocking to either format as fast as they did to DVD which drove the manufacturing of players which drove the price down.

Thanks. Heh in that case it almost seems like I should root for BluRay to succeed even though I think it's totally pointless right now (seriously, how many people are saying that DVD quality is too low and something better is needed?), since the better BluRay does the faster manufacturing costs can go down.

Yea, I feel the same way. Blu Ray and High-Def media in general can kiss my ass for all I care, it just seems so superfluous to me. But if its success is going to drive down the price of PS3, giddyup.

Although I suppose I like blu ray as far as storage goes. Being a wrestling DVD junkie, as well as a PC junkie, the 25 gigabyte disc sounds like a capital idea. The thought of high-def media replacing DVDs as far as gaming and movies go, horrifies me to no end though. Mostly because I won't be buying an HD capable TV anytime in the near future. I just don't want to have to pay extra for something I really couldn't care less about (high-def video).

If you're that squirrelly about the price, get a 2nd job for a month or two.

There is nothing coming out for the PS3 that really grabs my interest at all.

The Wii is getting massive overhype, which is good for Nintendo, since it will sell a lot of systems... I have interest, but only because I want all of the old games. Games that truly were good, excellent, or great.

The way I see it, its about the sizzle and not the steak nowadays. Style, not substance. It might be just me getting older, but without good games with good gameplay and not just about the bells and whistles, this generation of games might just crash, just like in 1984.

Instead of simply making a next generation of games, Sony is trying to price the average gamer right out of contention by bundling a new and unproven technology in with a gaming system that would sell just by itself.

As much as I like Sony products (shit, I have a stereo system, bought two PS1s, three PS2s and am typing this post on a Sony brand laptop), I am old enough to remember the Betamax. Nuff Said.

Honestly, I'll just stick with the 360.

The PS3's too far overpriced, and none of the "big" franchises are a real priority.

Nintendo ..eh. The Wii's control system doesn't appeal to me. To compare it to anything, it'll likely mostly filled with a bunch of minigame compilations, non-games, and games that do nothing but revolve around the system's gimmick, like the DS. Add to that the chance of a severe drought of anything but first party titles like the GC had, and I'm not sold.

You sure pegged me. Actually, the point of the question was so that I might understand why the Wii is getting this insane hype.

It seemed to be "it has one interesting, albeit non-exclusive game. Why would anyone care?" to me.

But as for titles I've noted, the new Super Mario game will probably be good, but it's not a system seller for me. Metroid 3 I can take or leave. I'm not sold on the Fire Emblem games. And outside that, there doesn't seem to be anything to speak of, as far as concrete, announced titles go (please don't bring up Super Smash Bros).

And I don't see what relevance the release dates of those PS3 games have.

As I said, look at some release charts. Browse here by genre. There's more official, confirmed Wii titles coming out in the first 6 months that I care about than in the 360's past, present, and near future. It's well worth the money, IMO.

I know in about 2-3 years PS3 will have a killer lineup. It doesn't now. The "concrete, announced titles" for the PS3 launch window aren't very interesting. For $500-$600 PS3 is going to have to offer something extremely compelling for me to consider it a "gotta have." Why the hell would I buy it now when the games I care about haven't even begun hard programming and will take 10-12 mo. to hit the market? I don't want a Bluray player that *may* have an exclusive on Assassin's Creed in June 07-ish, but is otherwise worthless to me.

However, we're agreed that PS3 has next to nothing to offer now but a BluRay player and some iffy launch games. It's difficult to argue for a launch PS3 unless you're investing in ebay scalping of idiot parents, especially with Sony's track record (not that they're alone; ask Anya about 360 #3. Sony had best realize a 90 day warranty is unacceptable for PS3.

PS2's lineup for late 2006/early 2007 appeals to me more than PS3's.

The Wii's control system doesn't appeal to me. To compare it to anything, it'll likely mostly filled with a bunch of minigame compilations, non-games, and games that do nothing but revolve around the system's gimmick, like the DS.

Which would be valid if it didn't have a traditional control scheme (it does), and if the Wii's lineup doesn't/won't include traditional games (which it will, just like DS).

Any and every Nintendo system will have games for all of thier major properties. Same as any PS sysytem, and the Sega systems when they were around.

That shit should be pretty obvious by now.

My plan is to buy a 360 around Christmas, then buy a PS3 when the price drops in a year or so.

My plan as well. I want a PS3, but I'm not going to spend $1000 AUD on the top line system straight out. I'll give Sony a year to work out any bugs.

I'll be buying a Wii at launch. Having Zelda, Metroid, Mario, and Smash Bros. coming out in the first six months or so of the system's lifetime is pretty impressive, and I'm drooling over the chance to play Twilight Princess. It looks just as good as Resident Evil 4, in my book, so I'm extremely excited to get my hands on it. And even without the Big 4 from Nintendo (I'll skip Metroid, but buy the other 3), there are still a bunch of title I'm interested in:

- Madden: I can't believe I'm interested in Madden again, but the new controls seem perfect for it. One of my continual complaints about football video games is the difficulty of mastering open-field running techniques. Trying to get the eight buttons memorized and used correctly is damn near impossible for me. But using hand motions to juke and stiff-arm - it's brilliant. That alone has me interested. On top of that, the chance to really pull off the point and click passing that NFL Fever tried but couldn't pull off due to the limitations of the controller is another great addition. I'm certainly interested in Madden.

- Excite Truck: This looks like the Wii's answer to Burnout. High-speed racing around tracks, some crazy jumps, good crashes, total arcade racing fun. Nintendo's been horrible for non-kart racing over the Gamecube's lifetime, and this should fill a big void. And steering with the controller could be a lot of fun - I can't wait to try it.

- Wii Sports: It looks like an N64 game, but the first thing I'll be doing when I get the system is popping Wii Sports in and challenging someone to a game of Tennis. This looks like the perfect introduction to the Wii, and it'll give people a great idea of what to expect from the controller.

- Elebits: This is a quirky, quirky title, but I'm totally interested. Shooting little gremlins running around your kitchen with the Wii remote looks like fun. You get to use it like the gravity gun in Half-Life 2 as well, picking things up and throwing them around. Assuming they can make this a sufficiently deep game, I'll be sold for sure.

- Project H.A.M.M.E.R.: Any game which revolves around smashing the living shit out of things with a giant hammer cannot help but be fun, especially when you can actually swing the hammer itself.

Then there are all the FPS games coming out for launch (in addition to the FPS-ish Metroid, there's Call of Duty 2, Far Cry, and Red Steel), that Disaster: Day of Crisis game, and a ton more. Wii's definitely set up to have the best launch of the three new systems, and when you add the low price, it just makes the most sense to buy the Wii first. I plan on getting a 360 when Halo 3 and/or Ninja Gaiden 2 are upon us, but until then, not a chance.

According to Square Enix, Final Fantasy XIII is neither a prequel or a sequel to Final Fantasy Agito XIII or Final Fantasy Versus XIII. Square Enix has explained that although all three games take place in the same universe, they are not directly related. [4] Square also announced that there will be still other titles in the Fabula Nova Crystallis series, though they have not indicated how many. A diagram was shown with three empty circles around the Fabula Nova Crystallis logo, so it is possible there will be another three titles in the series.

Is it just me, or is that confusing and just complicating things unnessaraly?

As far as I can tell, the only real complaint about the PS3 is the price tag. People were excited about it until E3, but after the $600 announcement, people turned on it pretty hard. I guess that's understandable since the price is pretty ridiculous, but like all systems it will come down eventually. I don't think too many people are complaining about the library. Just the price.

In the UK, game prices will be about £60 each. Now i know that mega drive and snes games cost that much on release back in the early 90's, but thats because cartragides are more expensive to produce.

And we've also heard news that sony cannot fit all the parts of the ps3 inside the orginal design. Thats just what we've heard.

As for me, i just got a 360 and so far, ive enjoyed Prey, LOTR and the dead rising demo. But i will be buying the W!! on release day and avoiding the PS3 like the plague.

Playstation always wins because it has RPGs

I think those days are gone. Nintendo will have two spin-off games available at launch (FF:Crystal Chronicles and a Dragon Quest game) and that if the Dragon Quest spin-off sells well, SE will bring Dragon Quest 9 exclusively to Wii, so the rumor goes in a recent EGM.

There is also a rumor of a Mana MMO for the Wii in development, and the fact that Square is bringing Final Fantasy III exclusively to the DS and not the PSP, and developing Mario Hoops 3-on-3 for the DS seems to be a fair indicator of the new relationship between Nintendo and Square.

We might even see things go back to the golden age of SNES.

I've pretty much come to peace with myself that I won't be buying any console upon it's release, this time around. The PS3 is the one I want, but $600 is a fucking lot for a video game machine. Yes, Yes, it does other things, but I mainly want it to play video games. It still yet to be determined if Blu-Ray takes off, so investing all that money in it up front is a risk.

Guest Princess Leena

Plus, I wouldn't want to use my PS3 as my only Blu-Ray player either. Thing would probably die in a few months.

Guest BOOT

I won't be getting any at launch, and I’m not 100% sure I’ll get any of them in the long run. Wii is most likely, as it should provide something different. I'll wait and see if it can live up to its potential though. For the amount I play video games no console, no matter what it can do, is worth the price Sony is asking for the PS3. I'm not really a huge fan of the exclusive games anyway. I only really play the Pro Evo series on my PS2 at the moment, along with the occasional random game that looks interesting and is relatively cheap. I feel the same way about the Xbox360 games, nothing new and therefore not worth my money.

I guess I just care about paying my bills and what not too much to spend 600 bucks on the system.

I won't buy any at launch though. i never buy any systems at launch. So maybe I'll be getting some cheaper game systems.

Right now it's a battle between the X-Box 360 and the Wii. if the 360's BC doesn't get better then the Wii will win. I have this feeling Nintendo might make a resurgance.

I used to be an RPG junkie and I'd love to get back into them but jeez....I just can't justify spending that money yet.

And fuck Blu Ray. Fuck it in it's dumbass. I hate these companies always trying to hold us up for money. If Blu Ray wins then I'm going to be pissed because I like everyone else has spent years building my DVD collection up to where my VHS collection was. And now they're going to say "Buy those all again!" It's just like gas prices. They're all after my money and they're not paying me enough to keep up.

Plus, I wouldn't want to use my PS3 as my only Blu-Ray player either. Thing would probably die in a few months.

Good point.